Hey guys

hey guys.

i just picked up a broken ps4, no explanation whatsoever as to what is wrong with it. did anyone once work for a tech repair shop that maybe has a standardized list of inquiries that flowchart style directs you to whats wrong? or am i going to have to give this thing the traditional in-depth mechanical engineering inspection?

thanks for any and all advice/insults

Other urls found in this thread:

ps4.wonderhowto.com/how-to/ps4-wont-connect-your-tv-try-these-no-signal-troubleshooting-tips-0149511/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Probably the latter

What are you making there buddy? CATIA?

Did you try turning it off the on again?

just go to ifixit or use common sense

know of any schematics? just use youtube?

thats the differential + components for a formula SAE car in CAD

havnt even plugged it in honestly.

Google it

>havnt even plugged it in honestly.
Well before trying anything else, you could see if it works after you plug it in. We can go from there.

That's cool. Are those struts adjustable to tension the chain or something?

just did. it boots and the top light goes to white as it is suppossed to but does it rather quickly compared to my neighbors identical PS4. nothing displays to screen. i am now guessing there is something faulty within the HDMI port

yes that is exactly what they do! i came up with that from scratch as a major improvement to the previous years design which ended in catastrophic failure

okay im getting deeper. the HDMI ports seemed to have been prone to damage to their position and the funny angle on the back of the PS4 with perfectly vertical ports. typically the HDMI goes three ways:

> you bugger the inside of the port cramming an HDMI in wrong

>you damage the solders that hold the port to the board cramming an HDMI in wrong

>you physically break the port of board by cramming an HDMI in wrong or flexing the cable all about while its plugged in.

in inside of the HDMI looks okay, im going to open it up and have a look see. If the hdmi port and board are not chipped in any way can i just look into resoldering the port onto the board? or is there something preventing from that being a viable solution?

the board is now extracted and i am looking for blemishes on the HDMI port. is anyone there that is versed on PS4's? i noticed my board is missing something that ben hecks board had

Missing what?

this was a complete row of 5 of whatever they are for ben heck, but it doesnt appear to have any signs of anything ever being there?

They'll generally tend to mass produce 1 board and then fill it out as needed for different versions of the device, just because it looks like it's missing something doesn't mean that it needs something to go there.

Are you sure the issue is with the HDMI port? Does a PS4 have other ports you can test?

That's just some of the power circuitry for the APU that they took out in the newer board revisions since it wasn't necessary. Follow the traces from the HDMI port. Check for any visible damage, then check the specs of things in the path if you can find a datasheet.

okay so the 4 legs on the bottom of the hdmi port are not soldered consistently. one side looks very heavy duty and one side looks like light silicone. is this normal? could this be the issue?

Those are mechanical, not electrical connections.

PS4 only have HDMI output. I suspect someone already messed with it and called it a loss.

no other ports apparently. hdmi, playstation eye, optical audio out, and power. usbs on the front.

the playstation boots and shows white ontop which apparently means it has completed the 'hdmi handshake' but the tv doesnt show sound or image, only the 'no input detected' text. i cant verify that it boots into safe mode because no image or sound but i really think its booting properly just not outputting.

someone has been in this ps4 before me, the HDD was missing the screw to secure it but i think it was properly plugged in.

Well you could test the optical out, I'm sure it makes some obnoxious noise when it starts up.

what is the optical out? i don think i have anything to plug into that. the hdmi port seriously looks okay, what kind of things should i be looking for? i dont think the port has ever been removed. perhaps the previous diagnosis was that the hdmi port needed be replaced and the owner declined? other components that could be connected to display output?

Is that on a fucking couch? Static probably killed it by now, if it was working before. Like I said, trace the connection from the HDMI port back and then pray you see something obviously wrong.

Optical out is on the far right in that picture. if you were able to link it up to something and hear the boot-up noise it would confirm that the HDMI port is at fault. Nothing you've shown has any clear issues though.

Alternatively, that board looks pretty simple, maybe look for a replacement and see how much it costs.

Baja SAE guy here. One of our older cars uses a system very much like this to tension a drive chain. We used custom fabbed turnbuckles to actually make the adjustments. Good luck!

well fingers crossed i didnt kill it!

>or is there something preventing from that being a viable solution?
Investigate the HDMI DRM before you do much more.

Not that it's likely to be the problem but it might have anti-tamper stuff on it to make your job harder. The HDMI pipeline is supposed to be secure from disc to pixels.

can you elaborate please?

lmgtfy.com/?HDMI+DRM

Plug in turn on and factory reset so it will choose the correct output at least that used to happen on PS3

jhgjghj

ps4.wonderhowto.com/how-to/ps4-wont-connect-your-tv-try-these-no-signal-troubleshooting-tips-0149511/

There is an issue with some HDMI ports that stops the cable going all the way in. Also damages the cable too. From this pic: , it looks like you might have this issue. Check it out.

what from this picture makes you say that?

>what from this picture makes you say that?
The little bump in the slot. Compare that to any other HDMI port. E.G. My laptop doesn't have that.

i see a small semicircular protrusion but it is flush with the internal stop place of the hdmi port. it would not contact the plug.

Have you considered that it is literally this easy? The PS4 has multiple output types

i tried to boot into safe mode and the tv didnt even react, it never made a connection somehow even though the blue light turned white = hdmi handshake

Check for mud dauber nests

well i put it back together. it didnt get fried because i set it on the couch like that user said. it still did the same thing, boots up and functions but doesnt display anything. WLOD is what ive come to find it referred to ask, it means either the HDMI port or chip has faulted somehow. i couldnt properly inspect the chip because its got a cover that requires a precision heatgun to remove. controllers connect properly to the console. when i booted it without a harddrive it still displayed nothing.

my next move is going to be to buy the other broken ps4 at the store in question and swap the motherboards with my fingers crossed.

Did you plug audio into the optical like you were told?

If so, any power-on sound?

Check if it still has warranty before you tamper with it famalam, I bought some Xbox one online for 70 that couldn't read discs and turned out it still has warranty

i dont have anything that uses that type of plug

i bought it with the warranty stickers already removed

it does display the red light though, which is something ive learned to look for

Blue light means the OS is loading
When the light on the PS4 goes white the OS has loaded, it's most probably the HDMI, it's extremely common on the early models.

You could use remote play to connect to the PS4 to see if you're getting any video display