Fuck UEFI

Fuck UEFI.

What kinda of Orwellian bullshit is this?

Other urls found in this thread:

yarchive.net/comp/linux/efi.html
youtube.com/watch?v=d6VCri6sPnY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It makes graphical boot easy. rEFInd is fucking fantastic.

I know right, we're literally living in 1984.

>dual booting

kys

It's a shit made by Microsoft and Intel.

why is it shit?

I boot to windows in like 15 sec, I can't see an issue

UEFI is great

go kill yourself

>graphical booting
Unless your device only has a touchscreen, why?

UEFI alone isn't that bad, it's the "secure boot" bullshit that fucks everything.

Dual booting is so much easier now with UEFI now that you don't have to mess with the MBR anymore. Now you just have to make a small EFI partition and if you want to delete your dualboot, you can just remove the efi partition instead of erasing the MBR.

It's also nice to navigate the setup menu with a mouse.

So use libreboot. UEFI implementations have some proprietary software (it's firmware, but it can be replaced and you don't have the source code so it's proprietary software). Just buy one of like seven laptops supported by libreboot and have a fully free boot firmware.

Owell = 1948

Fuck people who use the word "Orwellian" wrong

It's not just shorthand for draconian or authoritarian, fuck you

> MBR
just use GPT, it's so much better

see yarchive.net/comp/linux/efi.html
especially the second post, as for technical reasons why it's bad

I have no clue what you fucking morons are talking and don't care. I am here to tell you all to fuck off and suck my dick dry.

Legacy boot is still available. Why don't you use that user?
I hate UEFI because it makes booting into the BIOS a pain in the ass. I repair computers, so I have to deal with Safe Boot for each computer I work on.

While I agree UEFI is very comfortable in terms of multi booting and not having to care about an MBR anymore, it is also very vulnerable. See this Windows 8 attack that allowed (still allows on some boards) to get Ring -2 privileges from Ring 3, allowing to overwrite the firmware flash ship:
youtube.com/watch?v=d6VCri6sPnY

navigating a complex "bios" with a mouse is really nice and a LOT faster than a keyboard
you need a uefi to boot off of gpt ya donger.

>It makes graphical boot easy.
Yep, it's so easy that it doesn't even support VGA or VESA. Easy my fucking ass.
All it has is it's own shitty interface for switching the mode which doesn't even fucking work anymore after you call ExitBootServices. Have fun losing control of all video mode setting after entering your OS.
>hur dur just write a graphics driver for every single card out there
Not possible in one lifetime.

UEFI is fucking shit, it was designed to make it so that only Windows and OSX could run on your computer, hobbyist OS developers are fucked because of it.

it's not that bad
the technology just needs to mature

Soon they will lock other oses out of new pcs

do you mean secure boot?

The key was leaked, bro. It's just an obstacle now.

>navigating a complex "bios" with a mouse is really nice and a LOT faster than a keyboard

True, but that can be done in a well-designed BIOS as well. For example, in 1998 IBM released the ThinkPad 600, which had a graphical BIOS that allows you to use the mouse to navigate menus, run hardware diagnostics, etc.
I sincerely wish more manufacturers put as much effort into it as they did. It had hardware diagnostics for virtually every piece of hardware you could plug into it, full APM support (supports suspend, hibernate, monitor backlight timeout, etc. with an OS that does not support power management, such as DOS. It's real fuckin' neato to be able to hibernate and resume DOS.), a hex editor to set tons of options which can be used to work around an issue allowing you to put a much newer Pentium III in despite coming out years later. It even worked with way more RAM than was officially supported.

Sauce: I've got a 600 with 544 MB of RAM in it (max supported is 288). The fucker's 18 years old and still works (does have a problem with one of the data lines going to the RAM going open circuit when it gets hot though. Just don't touch it and it's fine).

>use libreboot
How, link me a somewhat new (2008+) MB for AMD and Intel which works with it,

>Install W10 on UEFI
>Works fine
>Install Ubuntu
>Somehow it also works fine
>Time to stop using ubuntu and install debian
>Bootloader doesn't get installed correctly

use Arch and install the bootloader yourself