Best messenger

What messenger is your daily driver? As in, is there a messenger that's so central to your life you couldn't live without it? And, expanding on the subject, is it objectively good or are you stuck with it because it was a race winner and all your friends use it, making moving to another one impossible?

The latter is my case sadly, all my friends use WhatsApp, which isn't even that bad, weren't it for the fact that it's too much of a police messenger to me, if you want to hide from a person you wish not to interact with for some time, WhatsApp makes that much impossible, with online status and other such hellish stuff.

On the other hand I've grown fond of using Line and I got a friend to try it out.

First off you're free from online notification, so if you want to ignore someone you're good. Moreover it gets something that most messengers fuck up: uploading pictures in the order you dictate in the file pick screen.

Sprinkle over it some fast servers and anime stuff such as themes and stickers and you've got yourself the best messenger. Too bad nobody uses it outside Japan.

Slack

It's not tethered to a SIM like Whatsapp (which I use with normie friends fyi), but it's a lot more efficient, better optimized, file sharing is easier, fucking around with bots. The one downside is that it's e-mail invite only, opposed to Discord's linking system, so my internet weeb friends tend not to feel like going through all that stress to make an undoxable email, but it's still a lot better than most messaging clients today imo.

I'm in Indonesia and I use both LINE and Whatsapp, with LINE for personal communications. I'm not gonna lie the stickers are kawaii as fuck and the voice call, video call, and group call features are useful. Even though a lot of people have iPhones here, no one and I mean absolutely no one uses iMessage.

Telegram is pretty useful.

threema

Is that how line looks now?
Not bad. I haven't updated it in years. Might do it now.

Besides Slack being for office use, how is it as a replacement for Facebook messenger & SMS?

>tfw when love to travel

I fucking having Messenger, Hangout, Skype, Whatsapp, Meetup, Voice, and Snapchat on my phone. They all feel the same

I had WeChat, Kakao Talk and YikYak on my phone up until recently. Im not currently fucking any Chinese or Korean girls so I deleted them and YikYak lost the only the thing that made it fun or unique

This. Get your friend to try Telegram.

MSN Messenger

> As in, is there a messenger that's so central to your life you couldn't live without it?
WhatsApp. Everyone where I live expects people to have WhatsApp. Having a smartphone without having WhatsApp installed is like having a phone that can't SMS and call: you might as well not call it a phone.

Some people are still on BBM. It's the choice for business when they don't want to share phone numbers.

> On the other hand I've grown fond of using Line
Ditto. When Facebook purchased WhatsApp, almost every weeb in my contact list moved to LINE. We moved our groups there as well. Later on LINE added some pretty nifty features that are unobtrusive.

>2016
>using LINE
This fucking piece of shit is stuck in 2011 era with all its lags and shitty implementation. Fucking hate this shit, but alas I have to use it since that's what ppl use here.

I actually logged into MSN Messenger just yesterday using Butterfly Messenger.
All those bros I lost contact with...

didn't they shut it down years ago?

Signal, for now.

When I want something without phone numbers, well that's a harder prospect.

I'm still working on my other project for a metadata-proof messenger - that's years or research away still.

Me, gruqg, Matt Green and some others are taking a look at matrix.org's spec in the meantime - don't know if that'll lead to anything. Looks like a passable start, in any case, but I can see some needed improvements.

>online status on a message app

When will this meme end, I wish sms was still the standard

I use Signal

>2016
>using honeypotkike IMs / social networks

Andchat/irssi

What's the point of things like signal or line when it sells your contact list to kikes like everything else?

Riot(was called Vector) implements axotol end to end encryp over matrix.org and is open source. Best of all worlds.

The battery drain during Video calling is terrible, but apart from that it's pretty refined for an FOSS app.

Also, no phone number required.

Chatsecure. Setup your own XMPP server with end to end encryption and enjoy freedom

Telegram
I love playing bot games

They did but you can still access the service using third party programs.

Disa. It does SMS, facebook messenger, whatsapp in a single UI. Also plugin-based.

i did that for a while, but that stopped working for me

I use SMS for family and a few friends, Facebook Messenger for most irl friends, and Discord for all my online friends.
SMS and Facebook use the same app, so it works pretty well.

Facebook Messenger for most people.
WeChat for family in China.

I don't talk to anyone.

Uses to use sms exclusively, because why should I use whatsapp when it uses the fucking phonenumber as identifier anyways? Plus: fucking datamining

Then I moved to another continent for work, and now I use BBM [spoiler]to chat with my gf[/spoiler]

>spoilering on Cred Forums
How new?

>online status

You don't have to show that on Whatsapp.

Signal and SMs for day to day

Ample security with Signal and SMS as a fallback

[spoiler]not knowing this old joke[/spilled beer]
How Gnu are you?

Chatsecure is shit.
Use just a standard XMPP client that has OTR capabilities.

Not him but how in the fuck is that a serious question?

Nothing replaces SMS or Facebook Messenger. SMS is universal and everyone usually has a phone number. Facebook is ubiquitous and majority of people are in it and use it.

If you're in the USA that is it, unless your friends are 13 year olds you won't be using snapshits or kiks.

In Europe and rest of the world is a different story, haven't been to Europe since 2007 and back then people would just text because it was cheaper, I don't know what people use now I hear Whatsapp is popular, but my parents in EU never heard of it.

Yes I think you triggered my autism.

I thought whatsapp working through SMS??

Are there no apps that allow this

>Be in USA with smartphone
>Send message through app
>Person B receives message in SMS on a different country.
>Person B sends SMS back
>Person A receives message in app

>freedom

to... talk with yourself??

I believe iPhone has such a feature.

>using line

Let me guess, you live in south east asia?

add gw line lu apa bro