Breaking news. dropbox no longer allows direct linking to html or htm files

breaking news. dropbox no longer allows direct linking to html or htm files

dropbox always allowed direct linking to all types of files - so you could play it in your web browser instead of downloading it and opening it in something else

it is unclear how long it will be this way - but it seems to effect all users, including long-time users, not just new-users. - it's not clear if it effects "premium" members. or what.

i just found out today when it was working yesterday - and i can't find any news on this on dropbox or anywhere - so i decided to make this announcement

i've used dropbox for a long time like this - so may need to find some alternative. it's extremely difficult to find and i haven't found any. a lot of free web hosts ban you for stupid reasons - like banning you because they looked at a text file with profanity in it that no one but me their privacy-invading selves looked at. a lot of free web hosts also require you to sign in every month. or again they don't direct-link so you're brought to a download page instead of just being shown the file in the web browser. - i don't know what i'm going to do now.

- i have tried microsoft onedrive and google-drive just now; tho i didn't want to use those. both keep bringing up a html file to download and open rather than direct-linking the html file.

- i actually sent a message to dropbox asking them about this. no response.

- i'm using a free web host right now as a temporary replacement. yeah it is the privacy-invading free web host that banned me. i don't like things that ban me and I don't like to use them. but when you have no choice. Gotta use it. - i also like how dropbox is a pretty common thing used. It's less show-offy. it also makes everyone less paranoid; since they know what dropbox is. to be honest. i am getting into using ftp clients, and stuff... but eh...

tl;dr dropbox doesn't allow direct linking of html files anymore and there's apparently no relatively-decent alternatives.

Other urls found in this thread:

dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46557041/index.html
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/82006212/Sobris1206a.html
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2278053/compareit.html
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1962573/andreafantuzzi/Home.html
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/78229866/tvgametimelimit.html
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25432220/Site/Welcome.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

yes it does? it's still working fine for me

no it doesn't? maybe it's because "premium".

i don't have "premium" - my account is a free account

you wot m8

people use dropbox to host their websites?

you wot m8

i'm not using dropbox to host my website.

links or it didn't happen.

update.

i did a lookup to see if there were any other dropbox users hosting html files.

i found about 20 and about 16 were either not-found or brought up a file to download instead of the site.

so i'm pretty sure at this point it's due to premium. either that or they're some extremely early members. maybe it doesn't work for no reason. i don't know.

also yeah it turns out that some people actually do host their websites on dropbox. - tho i did not do that myself. it was really small html files and experimentation. not "a thing".

here's results that are broken. it prompts you to download an html page.

dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46557041/index.html

dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/82006212/Sobris1206a.html

here's results that are working. it's a direct link to the html page.

dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2278053/compareit.html

dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1962573/andreafantuzzi/Home.html

dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/78229866/tvgametimelimit.html

none of these are mine; if that isn't obvious.

so. i don't know.

these websites look like ass

dropbox just wasn't made for hosting websites

plus I don't want to accidentally give people a download link to my fucking HTML directly

I'm glad they're phasing this shit out, this is ridiculous

irrelevant opinions

irrelevant opinions

irrelevant opinions

irrelevant opinions

i wish we could delete threads any time we wanted again

One more reason to stop using dropbox. I was górną switch clouds when they blocked my links because of same false positives they found on my account. (Too lazy to email them and all help site has is a help article loop)

i just tried this one

and it works fine... the fuck are you on about? the fuck is this thread?

/sage

Drive > Dropbox
Proven once again

>using Dropbox
But why?

That's what you get for using proprietary services

So OP being retarded is somehow the fault of Dropbox?

>dropbox
>2016

fucking normies REEEEEEEEEE

They emailed people about it saying it was going to be phased out and it appears that they have phased it out

If you're using it for games, itch.io should be fine for it

For websites, GitHub has a thing I've yet to get my head around

For static websites you can use github. Google github static html

Mine still work.

Last I knew, for newer free accounts, they got rid of true direct linking, but retained it for legacy accounts.

It looks like it has to do with whether you have a Dropbox public folder or not, which is only allowed for old accounts that created the public folder before a certain date.

Now there's just shared links to folders/files which only allow direct downloads.

bump

Drive = Dropbox
Proven once again

If you mean disk-drive - Easier said than done. Can't host on it by itself. Maybe I'd do an actual site in the future but can't right now because I'm not rich with unlimited money. It's also relatively easier. For right now. Dropbox "just werks". For right now.

>not using Dropbox
But why?

>not using neocities

No choice and Cred Forums is also a proprietary service.

So user being retarded is somehow the fault of Dropbox?

>normies
>2016

fucking cancer faggots

Oh...

Not-videogames and can't upload to itch.io apparently

I haven't heard of that and don't know either

>jewgle

Good goy.

Don't wanna use github but considered. Hosting wasn't a result

Luck you.

Oh. That sucks. Well I have direct links for everything but html.

I have public folder but HTML files don't work now.

Direct linking is the best part. That's sad.

No one told me. So I don't know. So I can't use.

I'd actually probably use geocities again. A main issue was that ad. But the biggest issue was having data-transer limits. I'd much rather have limited storage than limited bandwidth. Like I'd rather have 1MB of storage with unlimited bandwidth rather than 1TV of storage with a 1TB monthly transfer limit. Even if it's unlikely. It's still possible. Which irks me. Imagine if jewtube was like "you can't watch this video because it's too popular and they have to pay for more users to watch it". That don't make no sense. But instead of fixing it they killed it.

Jewgle really dominated over yahoo in that sense. Jewgle just made an alphabet conglomerate corporation where they own everything under differnet brands and names but nobody talks about it. Yahoo put everything under its name, decided it had too many, then sold everything off. Note how jewgle took its "jewgle" logo off of jewtube.

But I digress.

Also I sort of wanted to avoid using free web hosts because it's too "meta". Everyone sees it's a free web host instead of like a direct-link file sharing thing. I don't know.

tl;dr Yeah I may try neocities then I guess.

Thank you.

Well shit nigga I didn't know neocities existed. I may try that then. Thank you.

polite sage

Alright. I tried neocities. It's pretty good so far. I'm assuming it's unlimited bandwidth. Not like I can really test it at this point anyway. Hopefully it's unlimited hosting. The other temporary host I have forces you to sign in every month to keep the site; which is stupid. Something I don't like about neocities is that it doesn't have FTP. I sort of got used to dropbox and sort of realized it's basically like an easy www host. I thought if I opened up an FTP program instead of dropbox all the time and used FTP I could get a similar result. But I guess I wasn't really looking for FTP originally. So I guess it's fine. For now.

tl;dr Using neocities. It's alright. Would like something like neocities but with FTP; Or more like dropbox.

Thank you.