Linux - why doesn't it work?

This isn't my first time using Linux. I'm an oldish guy, I was using Suse back in '99, get off my lawn, etc. etc.

It's been a while though, so I decided to go back and try Linux again. The results were....disappointing. How is it that Linux got shittier at "just working" in the past 17 years?!

> Download Fedora iso
> Make USB boot disk
> Fails to boot

> Download Ubuntu Gnome
> make USB boot disk
> boots (amazing!)
> Open browser, go to Youtube
> Select 1080p/60fps video
> Displays ~24fps
> Try using Nvidia driver, same results

Congrats, shit works worse than Windows 10.

Other urls found in this thread:

without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
nydailynews.com/news/world/penguins-graphic-sex-acts-shocked-antarctic-explorer-ashamed-reveal-article-1.1093723
blogs.adobe.com/flashplayer/2016/08/beta-news-flash-player-npapi-for-linux.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>browser/driver has issues
>wtf this kernel doesnt work

You didn't make the usb correctly. What does youtube have to do with linux? I don't think you're good benchmarks for any type of UX

Tried both available drivers, and different browsers. Mysteriously enough, working OSes (Windows, OSX, even fucking ChromiumOS) are all able to do this with no problem.

I don't happen to have the "works on my machine" image to hand

would somebody please post it?

i been using Linux for about as long as you, i had my share of problems too, the difference between you and me is i did not give up and i found a distro that works and learned about how linux works under the hood and i did RTFM!!!

RTFM that makes all the difference in the world, they dont put man pages and documentation in there just to take up disk space, read it you idiot you might learn something

> using the FOSS bird imposed over the homosexuality banner

Made each USB drive the same way. Fedora attempted the boot, then choked on itself. Ubuntu booted fine, but the drivers are apparently shit.

Mind you, I used to run Ubuntu as my primary OS, and even fed my WoW addiction playing via WINE back around '07. So I ask: what the fuck went wrong? Ubuntu used to work flawlessly on modern hardware.

Adobe dropped Flash support for every browser but Chromium in 2012 as part of a deal with Google to transfer Flash to Google's non-standard Pepper API. distros are not even allowed to package Flash independent of Chromium

this is the cause of 95% of the streaming video problems on Linux

>Poorly optimized video drivers

>RTFM

Pick one, retard.

try a different distro, preferably one that does not use systemD, it has fucked up most distros, but there are a few that refuse to drink the koolaide

without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Try chromium browser. Firefox hardware acceleration support is shit. Be sure to disable gpu blacklist, and enable zero copy from chrome://flags.

you're the one crying on Cred Forums with your gay linux flag, i solve my problems on my own so try RTFM for a change and cram your gay linux flag up your ass where it belongs,

forget the nvidia binary blobs and just use Linux's stock nouveau driver, and get a non systemD distro and you will more than likely have better luck, gotta go now trollboy so have a good day now, try not to blow to many gay penguins mmmkay?

protip when using any red hat distro: always start building from the minimal.

and groupinstall the creative and media group if all you want to do is watch youtube

nydailynews.com/news/world/penguins-graphic-sex-acts-shocked-antarctic-explorer-ashamed-reveal-article-1.1093723

Fun fact: Adobe recently started doing up-to-date Linux builds of flash again.

blogs.adobe.com/flashplayer/2016/08/beta-news-flash-player-npapi-for-linux.html

I think you misunderstand my point. Is it *possible* to install Linux on a machine and get the same (or better) performance as one would on Windows? Sure. Like I said, I've done it before: WoW ran smoother under WINE than it did for me under Windows, for some weird reason.

But this is about the "out of the box" experience. It's about why we're never going to get a "Year of the Linux Desktop" unless the community seriously refocuses on usability and the end-user experience.

Playing a Youtube video at 60fps is a simple task; a fucking $150 Chromebook can pull that off. The machine in question was an i5 6500k with 8GB RAM and a GTX960. Ubuntu sells itself as the most user-friendly, mainstream-ready distro, yet neither its own drivers, nor the proprietary drivers, were able to accomplish this simple task.

17 years ago, I took a chance on Linux after getting disgusted with Windows 98. I was pleasantly surprised. Hell, even 11 years ago, Ubuntu was doing everything I wanted Windows to do, while also giving me my choice of UI and keeping Microsoft's tendrils out of my machine.

Today? Shit drivers and bad UX would make me embarrassed to recommend Linux to a new user.

>Using shitfox instead of Chrome
>complains that Jewtube won't stream 1080p/60fps
Quit computing dumb retard, don't ever try Linux again.

there will never be a "year of the Linux desktop" too many people dont give a shit whats on their computers, they use whatever comes on it when they buy it and that means Microslop windoze, just like buying a car, not everyone wants nicer than stock stereo, high performance tires, or switching to synthetic motor oil, they just keep the stock radio, cheap tires from hibdons, and the cheap motor oil from quick lube, too many people dont give a damn thats why

Fedora has issues with some firmware, update your motherboard bios.

I had issues getting it to boot on my t460s

Nice dodge