/RYZEN/ - Ryzen/Zen General

Why is this so based?

Other urls found in this thread:

techpowerup.com/241559/amd-provides-support-for-bios-update-on-2nd-gen-ryzen-boot-kit-available
thinkmate.com/system/a -ultra-superserver-1023us-tr4
broadberry.co.uk/amd-epyc-rackmount-servers
lwn.net/Articles/744287/
techpowerup.com/241593/amd-ryzen-2000-series-pinnacle-ridge-cpus-get-soldered-ihs
techpowerup.com/240879/amd-cancels-implicit-primitive-shader-driver-support
twitter.com/ryszu/status/896304786307469313
twitter.com/Dresdenboy/status/951803351951388673
pcper.com/image/view/88557?return=node/69007
youtube.com/watch?v=K0cxIRp8Q0g
arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/02/amd-sending-out-free-processors-to-solve-firmware-flashing-catch-22/
youtube.com/watch?v=1u_vUWCEYXw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It saved AMD from bankruptcy, a successful implementation of MCM. A great piece of engineering, while you can argue it may not be as good as its Intel counterparts, it definitely deserves its place in the market, and benefits consumers as a whole.

Based Mommy and Jim.

>Why is this so based?

I don't know. Can you tell me? I need a cpu and was looking at the Ryzen 7 1700.

Cores for days.

>8 cores, 16 threads at near 4 giggahurtz without breaking the bank
>socket will be supported by at least two, if not more, of its successors so in a few years I can upgrade my CPU with a BIOS update and a drop-in replacement

see

I have a intel 4790(not k) i got for free and built a PC around that, if i didn't get that i would've 100% gone ryzen, funny though I'm though i used to just really hate ryzen because when it first came out Cred Forums threads were nothing but shilling for it and it just got really annoying, i looked it up and saw it was actually pretty good so i stopped hating ryzen and just started hating the people who would make 4 or 5 threads every 2 minutes about it

>Funny though im though
Fuck me man, just ignore the 'im though'

>beat by 7700

2x spped for 2x price?
i better stay with my FX

>Why is this so based?
Because it gave "power users" what we needed, a step up from the same rehashed 4c i7. Yes intel HEDT has been available all this time, but at extreme prices. Ryzen brought $1000 of performance down to $400 in a single product release.

It also forced intel to make good CPUs again, coffee lake is also the first thing worth upgrading from sandy for. It singlehandedly brought AMD back from the brink of destruction and saved the market for both AMD and intel customers.

All good.

>ryzen7 launch
We're remembering this slightly differently. It was two days of nonstop video game benchmarks, mostly fcprimal and tomb raider from Intel shills.

zen+ wen

>based
>thrashed by Coffee Lake for gaming
>thrashed by Skylake-X for productivity

It's a good budget option for people who can't afford the best, but that's about it. Exactly what AMD has always been.

|>
|x
|

>>thrashed by Skylake-X for productivity
>what is threadripper
>what is product segmentation
>what is comparing nVidia GT1030 to Vega 64

Yes goy, you tell'em

Would the 2400G be enough for entry level gaming? Form factor is more important than size in this case.

Just bought 8700k. Thanks AMD for pushing those lazy fucks at Intel.

The IGPU is about on par with a 550 or 1030. So as long as you're willing to reduce settings accordingly and don't play particularly demanding games, it's fine.

Does Ryzen have integrated graphics?

Is it any good?

I'm worried that my current GPU might kick the bucket and I don't want to buy another because of the cryptofaggots.

Buy the 2400G

2 Zen APUs just came out

Ryzen 2200G with 4cores/4threads and the Ryzen 2400G with 4cores/8threads

tfw lost the silicon lottery

>gaming
>muh arithmetic averages
the average means nothing if the max FPS is 500 and drops to 3 every other second. Ryzen wins at frametimes and shows no spikes unlike your overpriced space heater.

Spotted the jew

>It's a good budget option for people who can't afford the best, but that's about it. Exactly what AMD has always been.
Go ahead and post your 5.0ghz 8700k, 4200mhz ram, 2TB NVME, 1080ti sli... Or maybe you can't afford the best?

Threadshitter doesn't even come close to the 7980XE.

And then you woke up.

Performance difference: 10%
price difference: 100%

It was suppose to compete with Kaby lake and Broadwell-E (6800k-6900k). Don't forget your tripcode as well.
>18C beats 16C
Wow what a surprise

>has to send out "rental-CPUs" because current mobos cannot be updated to new BIOS-versions with Ryzen-2000s to support said Ryzen-2000s
GENIUS

Some mobos can be updated without a CPU, it's all on the mobo vendors' decision to support something that was basic 2 decades ago.

Wait, so it won't even be able to instant flash without an older AM4 CPU?
Asking because I'm thinking of buying one and I don't have Zen right now.

thank you lisa su

I like how people are so quick to defend something they can't afford

techpowerup.com/241559/amd-provides-support-for-bios-update-on-2nd-gen-ryzen-boot-kit-available

Newer mobos won't have this problem obviously, and as mentioned some mobos support flashing the BIOS without a CPU inserted.
Or you can just ask the store you're buying to flash the new BIOS in most normal countries.

my i5 2500k finally hit the shitter this week

budget allows for a Ryzen R5 1600, is this the cheapest / best replacement?

No one is stopping you from buying EPYC at that price range.

Should I upgrade from my FX for gaymen now or wait for ryzen 2?

I mean, if you're willing to wait, it's only 2 months until release... that said, it's mostly just higher clocks(and new motherboards), so you won't miss out on too much if you don't wait.

>stock

These are enthusiast CPUs and the i9 has much more overclocking headroom, at which point it obliterates the 1950X. An overclocked 7980XE gets over 4300 in Cinebench. Ryzen cannot compete with Intel in terms of performance.

Depends, for only gaming: consider i5 8400.

Ryzen is already outdated and in need of replacement. Go for Z370 setup if you care about futureproofing. Even the i5-8400 outperforms any Ryzen chip in most desktop tasks, including gaming.

EPYC begs to differ, and even at the absurd Intel price points.

Now I don't have to buy a fire extinguisher for my PC.

Nice nuclear holocaust.

>Meme95

Power draw is just fine in real workloads and is justified by the performance. Not really helping the case against AMD being for poor people by complaining about having to buy a decent PSU and pay a few cents more for power.

Ah yes, the fabled "I overcocked to 5.0GHz to run SuperPi for 12 seconds before it crashed"

Get back in the oven scholmo.

how long until onboard graphics surpass my three year old lowend GTX950?

GT1030 is not that far behind a 950, so next gen?

>10-25% faster stock
>$1000 more
>toothpaste
>way less PCIe lanes
>no ECC
>uses more power than 3 Vegas combined when overclocked
>even at stock uses considerably more power than threadripper

X299 is a joke.

i9 for over $1500 or 1950 for under $800.

AMD wins faggot.

>It's a good budget option for people who can't afford the best

Then you don't disagree with the above statement?

>can't afford the best

The best?
thinkmate.com/system/a -ultra-superserver-1023us-tr4

Gutted consumer trash that doesn't support RDIMM is the best? Nigga you get back to Cred Forums

If you want the best, why are you even considering Skylake-X when you could get a 7551p?

Better
broadberry.co.uk/amd-epyc-rackmount-servers

Personally I'd get the Dell Poweredges but good luck finding them in stock

Supermicro is good though, don't need to pay jewbucks for IPMI

We're discussing consumer products for desktop systems. EBYN is irrelevant in that context, and indeed in any context, given its stillbirth and lack of uptake due to (justifiable) concerns about AMD's poor support network versus Intel's. Xeons will continue to be the choice for 99% of business users.

Ah, so you're just retarded and/or paid by intel. Go kill yourself.

Don't be too hard on him, the favela monkey primate circusfreak doesn't really know about hardware outside the easily marketable consumer market.
Intel doesn't pay for that training.

Did you write for Intel's PR last year? Sure sounds like it, even half a year latter it still doesn't sound less retarded.

How is windows 7 running on ryzen? Does it worth or should I stick with 2016 LTSB?

Wait, Ryzen 2000 is higher clocks and better memory latency, which is exactly what it needs for DT use.

I think he did.
Murthy needs to clear Intel's marketing dept.

Because its affordable. I just switched my ass 3rd gen i5 for a 1400 (Bought from a friend for 50 €). Its a perfect HTPC CPU, especially for converting, also energy saving. If I wanted a current Intel platform I had to buy expensive Z370 boards or pay insane prices for used EOL platforms.
I'm getting it next month.
For maximum performance, no. But Threadripper costs half the money and is way more energy efficient. I hope AMD can deliver 4.5-5 GHz next year.

AMD CPus @stock are horrible, its the only downside currently.

Lmao, he also says this after the whole meltdown clusterfuck and spectre nonsense that needed to pull patches from RHEL and VMware because they were awful.

Literally paid monkeys.

anybody know if I should go with ryzen or coffee lake? currently on bulldozer and I mostly just play games. using RX 480.

>using RX 480.
Doesn't matter what you buy, you're gonna be GPU bottlenecked so a 8700 and a R3 will perform close to similarly in games(sans frametimes)

If you wanna buy now, buy whatever, I advise waiting some 5 or so weeks for Ryzen 2nd gen and see how it does.

Don't forget Intel winning EBYN vs blingie Xeons in virtualization by placing like 50% more VMs on Xeon.

And yet companies are STILL sticking with Xeons, despite this allegedly huge problem that AMD fanboys have been droning on about for weeks. Companies don't abandon a proven track record of success over a small issue. EBYN isn't going to snap up any more of the business market than Opterons did.

Opteron Dual-Core got like 25% server marketshare in 1.5 years.
Rome will do the same.
Naples' job is to validate and push the platform.

>Companies don't abandon a proven track record of success over a small issue.
30% performance penalty is not a small issue.

OG Opterons literally "snapped" 30% of the market in under 2 years when they release you fucking retard, Dell and HPE just started putting out EPYC builds a few weeks ago you fucking mong.

What exactly do you want? Companies orders are put on delay because there's no stock, this is bad for AMD how exactly? They can't produce more than the fab allows, even Intel has limited wafer output.
And mind that output is lower than GloFo's.

Son, you need 2x 20 core Xeons that use double the power be on par on slightly outperform a single socket $2000 EPYC that still has more I/O, and support less memory, the xeons did a bit better a few months ago but then meltdown happened and they lost a lot of perf overnight and that happened at a similar time when NUMA improvements happened in the kernels.

Intel is quite literally a joke, it's worse at everything but marketing and wasting money at this point.

"Nobody got fired for buying Intel" definitely applied before this whole Meltdown business. However, when this thing hit, the people I know who work in IT (all managers) were freaking out. The amount of work that went into patching everything, and then dealing with the NOTICEABLE performance drop, either internally or with customers. Needless to say Intels good name was dragged through the mud a little bit. The hardware guys are going to know that AMD was not affected, and they can say to their managers "we need a couple extra acks to compensate for the performance loss of these patches, so lets try out a few racks of these new EPYC chips, they aren't even that expensive" and well, the managers will say "Intel just fucked us, sure give lets get a couple racks to try out". Then they realize that EPYC absolutely BTFO of Intel in their major use case. When the next hardware upgrade cycle comes around people will remember that Intel fucked them. True story, actually happened.

AMD was always good value for the money spent. So when they fixed the single thread problem of Bulldozer architectures...

Intel would win if you could overclock Xeons

>it's worse at everything but marketing
Intel's marketing was (and still is) godawful since they've booted their old team somewhere in 2013.
AMD unironically has better marketing right now.

Overclocking is only a good idea if you're willing to rape your performance per watt, which is decidedly NOT the case with most servers.

>Intel would win if you let it use 3 times the power for 30% more performance

Said no sysadmin ever.

Wait till mobos with guaranteed new BIOS are out. There are stickers on the boxes, so retailer should be able to tell you.
Also, try to get the retailer to flash/order newer stock for you, some are willing to help.

>based
It's not, not anymore. It was a total game-changer when it was released. Now 6 cores is the norm for Intel i5's and i7's. And my 1600X really does beat the living shit out of anything Intel had to offer at that price-point when it was released (I know corelets will disagree, who cares, I use GNU/Linux so only total multi-core performance matters). This is no longer the case. AMD would have to slash Ryzen prices a lot more than they already have to compete.

>Would the 2400G be enough for entry level gaming
No. I've been a push towards a story that says it's great for entry-level budget gaming. Take a close look at those benchmarks behind this claim and you'll see 720p at low settings. If it could do 1080p at medium in the vast majority of games then perhaps it would be acceptable. But it's not. Further: There is no budget build option today. 8 GB DDR4 RAM will cost you more than 16 GB cost not that long ago. If you're into games then you're much better of buying a console.

>techpowerup.com/241559/amd-provides-support-for-bios-update-on-2nd-gen-ryzen-boot-kit-available
Wow, they really go the extra mile. I didn't expect them to offer such a service, no company ever did this for mobo BIOS updates. I wonder when are we going to see this from Intel (sarcasm)

>MCM
Multi Core Memery?

Ryzen 1000 series is about to go EOL.
>AMD would have to slash Ryzen prices a lot more than they already have to compete.
They don't need to, it's going EOL soon.

Power draw aside, overclocking also introduces errors in your memory and that just escalates to insane levels when you're running multi-TB memory farms, and that is unacceptable for where these things go.
But most just say "stop" at power draw.

The number of lawsuits targeting Intel is currently at 32 for Meltdown/Spectre

Good luck.

>>has to send out "rental-CPUs" because current mobos cannot be updated to new BIOS-versions
This is true and something worth considering if you're going to buy those new APUs and a motherboard. It's also utterly stupid. It's not the first time we've had this problem, it's been a regular issue on both the Intel and AMD side since forever.

Just a tip: I know ASUS boards don't have this problem. Gigabyte boards do. I don't know about MSI. You can put a BIOS file on a USB stick and have ASUS boards POST directly off that and update the BIOS and this works fine with unsupported CPUs. There is no similar options on Gigabyte boards (those I've seen, anyway) and you're screwed if you have an older AM4 board with an old BIOS and you drop a 2200G in it.

That's fucking nothing.
The real damage is angry-angry sysadmins that will fondly remember Intel's fuckup.

It affects AMD too:
> bugs: sysret_ss_attrs null_seg spectre_v1 spectre_v2
That's a Ryzen 1600X on kernel 4.14.16. I know AMD has stated that they don't believe spectre affects them but after some back and forth it was decided to apply fixes to make sure.

>ryzen
>based

Spectre is hard to fix hard to exploit one, doesn't come with a big performance decrease.
Meltdown is the real issue, easy to fix and easy to exploit, but the fix gimps performance too much.
Will improve in time, but at that point silicon will already have it baked in

This. Not only are AMD products inferior to Intel at all price points but supporting AMD by buying their products is actually antisemitic! Report all AMD users and supporters for hate speech.

AMD's microcode update was also not a horrific mess resulting in random reboots for no fucking reason.
Intel is literally beyond pathetic right now.
Hi Rabbi.
Is Haifa team ever doing anything anymore?
SKL-X was Hillsboro.

AMD stated that it was harder or generally hard to exploit Spectre 2 on their CPUs due to arch. differences. They stand by that but there will be mitigations even though. Those differences probably mean it will be more resistant to future exploits differing from the original one and beating the sw mitigations, but chasing after the same vulnerability, though, so a good thing. Hackers will keep targetting only Intels.

I too like burning my house down.

Ryzen mining rigs are the future and Monero is paying off solidly. We should buy in bulk before the price skyrockets

My laptop:
>model name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5500U CPU @ 2.40GHz
>bugs : cpu_meltdown spectre_v1 spectre_v2

CPU meltdown! What a name. If I had no idea what these things actually and I just happened to see that pop up...

>SKL-X was Hillsboro.
Oh, that's why it burns power like a 1960s V8? The US team seems to be the one that chases more performance and lets CPUs eat more power, compared to the Israeli one.
Both is good in my book tho.

>this is acceptable

it can easily be done this gen. they just don't not to undermine themselves in dgpu market.

Yes.
That retarded cache rebalancing also smells like Hillsboro dudes from fucking miles away.
I have no idea what jewbois are doing rn tho.
No clue.
Sapphire Rapids? Maybe.
Anyway this and the next year belong to AMD.

>720p
OMG, they miss 10 FPS on the high-end CPU, which is even cheaper, on MEDIUM details.

I don't even care about such a low resolution.

>it can easily be done this gen.
Not with DDR4 bandwidth, no.

That's why Vega 11 performs like 5% better than Vega 8 while having 30% more shaders.
Wait for onboard GDDR* or cheap HBM(3?)

>dead platform with no upgrade path
>future proof
lmao

>Wait for onboard GDDR*
Package so bloated it's possible only in BGA form.
>or cheap HBM(3?)
Cheap HBM aka Low Cost HBM. Just needs higher signaling rates (Samsung inteded 3Gbps per pin for it).

who talks about ddr4? put low cost hbm in. done.

>That retarded cache rebalancing also smells like Hillsboro dudes from fucking miles away.
It's just made for servers, not HEDT, that's all. So I don't think it's retarded, just not suited to the "enthusiast" fags.
>Anyway this and the next year belong to AMD.
Hopefully, The stronger they become while Intel has troubles with CE/10nm/milking-mode roadmap, the better. I wish they established themselves enough to have about 2x bigger budget for RDO and stayed good through the 7nm, 5nm era and beyond.
For long-term x86 thriving, it is probably ideal if AMD is slightly technically better to offset for Intel's huge scale and marketing power. That way, both get business and profits.
We need x86 to live for PC and universal computers to live, so good x86 ecosystem is crucial.

It's already confirmed that octa cores are coming to the platform later this year. Imagine how badly they'll push Ryzen's shit in, given that the 8700K already murders the 1800X.

There's no such thing as low cost HBM yet, ask Samsung to hurry up.

A $2k CPU that doesn't even have ECC RAM support? No, thank you.

What is the best cooler for a threadripper?

>already confirmed
not really, it's unfounded rumors

>It's just made for servers
Large private L2$ is good not for everything serve tho.
It's probably there to feed 2x512b FMAs.
>I wish they established themselves enough to have about 2x bigger budget for RDO and stayed good through the 7nm, 5nm era and beyond.
Lisa and her crew are throwing like every shekel available for R&D, but it's mostly GPUs (esp software) for now.
>marketing power
Intel no longer has that, have you seen their recent keynotes? The faggots don't even show fucking roadmaps. Niggers.
Samshit is at 2.4Gbps for now.
It'll be competetive with PR at best.
Will melt the sockets at worst.

I hadn't looked at this in some weeks, it seems spectre_v1 remains unresolved (as far the the kernel cares, anyway).
grep . /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/*

AMD Ryzen 5 1600X Six-Core Processor:
/sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/meltdown:Not affected
/sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/spectre_v1:Vulnerable
/sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/spectre_v2:Mitigation: Full AMD retpoline

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5500U CPU @ 2.40GHz:
/sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/meltdown:Mitigation: PTI
/sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/spectre_v1:Vulnerable
/sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/spectre_v2:Mitigation: Full generic retpoline

spectre v1 can be resolved in several ways but there's no agreement on how to proceed. lwn.net/Articles/744287/

Air? Noctua
Water? Why would you want water?

You can overclock on both, why even bother overclocking 16 cores is beyond me.

>small issue

it can be done with hbm2 also, but I am looking out for budget builders.
I'm willing to pay 300 dollars to an apu with 24cu vega, 4 cores with smt ryzen and 4 gb hbm2.
they can easily do this. but they won't.

It's already confirmed that Ice Lake isn't coming until 2019. What we have now is what we'll have for the rest of the year(same for some intermediate and low-end SKUs like 8500 and new pentiums).

It's too niche of a market for AMD to adress right now.
Maybe 2019?

They can, because:

1. HBM availability, AMD already said they're short on memory in general last ER
2. small market.
3. AMD doesn't have the money or manpower for exotic products like that at the moment.

you're fucking retarded. the reason for 720p is to eliminate gpu bottleneck and test the true cpu performance. no one is going to make 4k cpu benchmarks.
coffee lake is better than ryzen in gaming, that is a FACT. they're still great cpus, but intel has had years to optimize their process, raise single threaded performance and allow for much higher clocks. i truly hope that amd will close the gap with zen2 and catch up with zen3, but at the current moment coffee lake wins in gayming.
also notice how every response to this is just amd shills deflecting multiple benchmarks and evidence with shitposting.
t. r5 1600 owner.

The problem with Zen in gayms is memory latency, not clocks (guess why AMD provides NUMA mode for TR).

>i don't know what an SPI programmer is or does sorry
kys

they have to start from somewhere. it looks niche yes, but it is killer cheap. amd would really push nvidia to the corner.
I believe you meant can't.
1) I'm not talking about availability, whether it can be done or not.
2) this I have a problem with, it can sell well.
3) true. but I'm optimistic.

>Intel no longer has that, have you seen their recent keynotes? The faggots don't even show fucking roadmaps.
I don't mean the public relations and showing abilities, but the ability to press themselves into the biggest OEM deals and take the market. It's almost impossible for AMD to kick them out from the main Acer/HP/Dell/Lenovo lines, so that they actually take big marketshare, given how strong Intel's position and abilities to incentivise are.

>they have to start from somewhere.
They have enough things to do this year.
Maybe next year, given they'll probably roll out an entire Navi-based lineup for the first time in 7 years.

>the reason for 720p is to eliminate gpu bottleneck
this shit again?

Remove the GPU bottleneck to create a CPU bottleneck? Are you retarded? Do you buy a 1080ti to play at 720p or something? Are you gonna see Intel's 20% speed improvement at resolutions you're actually gonna play at?

Games are terrible CPU benchmarks, they tell you nothing about performance in game.
Actually fuck this, I don't even wanna discuss this retarded topic anymore, done to death.

Yes, AMD needs a killer laptop product to force OEMs to *behave*.
7nm and low-cost HBM will open a lot of possibilities for that.

Real life perofmrance is irrelevant, this is a benchmark.

>>And yet companies are STILL sticking with Xeons
>238,303 results for xeon
Looks to me like they are dumping them. Yet I can't imagine that AMD is selling that many EPICs/Ryzens/Threadrippers to big server farms. So.. I don't know what the real story is but I do know that if you're in the market for a used Xeon then you'll be able to find a bargain.

>They have enough things to do this year.
I think they should do more about gpu market more this year.
I believe intel's nuc will be successful. then amd would find the courage to do that in desktop.

What does that even mean you dumb cumstain? Benchmarks shouldn't represent real life performance? They're just arbitrary numbers then you fuckup, who do they serve? What is their purpose then?

Yes I have a fucking issue with lowres benchmarks, people think they mean shit, people buy hardware off that nonsense and think they'll get 140FPS instead of 110FPS in X game with a 1070 and a 1440p monitor, they fucking won't, they'd get the same performance with a normally overclocked Haswell and a 8700k, why? Because your GPU chokes before a the fucking CPU comes into question.

>I think they should do more about gpu market more this year.
That's their focus for this year.
Pushing anything Vega through OEM channels and software.
LOTS of software.
Both for Vega itself and for ML/DL on Radeon in general.
AMD CPUs in 2018 are pretty much all straightforward refreshes unless AMD drops the bomb and somehow ships Rome Q4 2018.

Also fuck everything I mad

>That's their focus for this year
not for mid level cards. vega is top level. I don't need a 56cu card. around 30 is enough.

The new Poozen APUs are using thermal paste too, and see similar results from delidding. Get ready for thermal paste on all Poozen refresh chips.

AMD please make a new midrange GPU that's practically made for mining, I'm sure I'll buy it before the bots at MSRP.

That's you by the way

Vega in RR is 11CUs. Vega in KBL-G is 24CUs. Vega Mobile is ?CUs.
Vega20 is also ?CUs, but we know it comes with FP64 proper and xGMI.
>Get ready for thermal paste on all Poozen refresh chips.
>techpowerup.com/241593/amd-ryzen-2000-series-pinnacle-ridge-cpus-get-soldered-ihs
Shoo shoo shill.

Ah, intelshills.

AMD has been using TIM on their low-end chips for a long time, and solder for everything else. There's no reason to believe that's going to change any time soon.

>That's you by the way
no, I'm saying make an apu with 24cu vega and an 4gb hbm in it.

APUs have been using tootpaste since Llano, deliding only improves temps by 10C IIRC, not much.

Pinnacle is soldered
techpowerup.com/241593/amd-ryzen-2000-series-pinnacle-ridge-cpus-get-soldered-ihs

Calm down rabbi

They won't do this in 2018.
Besides, Intel is doing that for them anyway!

>24cu vega and an 4gb hbm

And as I hilariously paraphrased, made for mining.

Vega mobile is the chip AMD sells to Intel for KBL-G, it seems to top out at 28 or 26 CU.
Intel isn't getting the full chip apparently.

>AMD wouldn't lie to me!

techpowerup.com/240879/amd-cancels-implicit-primitive-shader-driver-support

OH NO NO NO NO

>They won't do this in 2018.
and that's a problem.
>Intel is doing that for them anyway!
that's a 1000 bucks laptop, I don't want either intel and or a laptop.
>And as I hilariously paraphrased, made for mining.
>apu
>mining
wew

No, Vega in KBL-G =/= Vega Mobile.
The former is a semi-custom design tailored specifically for EMIB and it tops out at 24CUs/
AMD cancelled nothing, gfx9-specific optimizations for merged shader stages are coming with NIR and new shader linker, for GNU/NEET at least.

Get back to Cred Forums you cancer.

April~

>PUBG
Broken as fuck, I don't know why retards use it for benchmarking.

>inconsistent performance between minor updates
>opening the inventory makes the game cap at 45FPS for some reason
>textures take forever to load even on a fucking SSD, often causing stuttering on some systems

I wouldn't be surprised if they have some retarded code that fucks up performance on AMD CPUs, they can't even properly implement basic vehicle physics. Oh, and this doesn't even mention if the bench was done on prerelease version (which was even more broken) or some of the 1.0 updates.

>The former is a semi-custom design tailored specifically for EMIB and it tops out at 24CUs/
Nope, KBL-G sales go into Computing and Graphics, not EESC.

It's not a full fledged semicustom solution, it's a dGPU sold to Intel.

Semi-custom was folded into RTG and now falls into C&G umbrella.
>It's not a full fledged semicustom solution
It is. It's a semi-custom dGPU that uses EMIB IP provided by Intel.

Reminds me of FO4, testing the same scene 3 times with the same hardware and you get wildly different results each time.

Literally impossible to benchmark, and idiot reviewers still used it for benchmarking, all should be shot, seriously.

Denial

I wish someone made SPEC benchmark suite but with bibeogames.
So even the most braindead retards would be unable to fuck it up.

They never *promised* implicit support. They said they will try to impelement it, but it failed. Big difference.

>They never *promised* implicit support.
They did.
>They said they will try to impelement it, but it failed.
Did they fail?
I still want some official confirmation.

>They did.
no

Yes, they did.
>twitter.com/ryszu/status/896304786307469313

Dresdenboy and Charlie don't seem to agree

twitter.com/Dresdenboy/status/951803351951388673

Then they should read Intel's HotChips presentation on EMIB.
The bridges are not P&P, they need to be designed around with specific IP.

employees' twitters don't count as official promise
There is a reason all of them have "opinions are own" disclaimers, dummy.

>twitter.com/ryszu/status/896304786307469313
Also kekking hard, because I didn't even open your link before posting, but I exactly guessed what it would be.
Just shows this bullshit about "promises" is just shills/haters clutching at straws.

z-Height of the chips are the same as is CU count , this is no coincidence.

I bet $20 that the Intel one is Vega Mobile with an EMIB bridge, and that's it.
It's technically custom but it's just a change to one block out of dozen.

The Intel® Core™ i7-8700K Processor by Intel Corporation doesn't have this problem.
Because the CPUs require an entirely new socket anyway.

lol more like "poorly designed unreal tournament mod"

It's not his opinion.
That was stated as a fact.
>z-Height of the chips are the same
Only because AMD embeds the interposer.
>are the same as is CU count
Well that we don't know.

>Well that we don't know.
We do, if you understand that it's a low volume chip and tops out at 28CU

This is Vega mobile, and Intel buys the cutoff parts since they're higher volume than the full die.

Any other explanation is that AMD just wastes money, which makes no sense.

>Intel buys the cutoff parts since they're higher volume than the full die.
They can't, Vega Mobile uses interposer, and KBL-G uses EMIB, which requires building around.
>Any other explanation is that AMD just wastes money
Intel paid for semi-custom R&D tho (that's how it works).
AMD wastes no money (it's actually free money).

Speaking of Kabylake-G, seems like Intel will bundle the drivers themselves but with no AMD control panel.

Like holy shit there's a bunch of neat features in the AMD drivers control panel, and Intel isn't allowing that because they'd look bad, seriously this is looking more like a joke by the minute.

No, KBL-G comes with Radeon Setting proper, just with custom gay-looking blue skin (have a wild guess why did AMD add skins with Adrenalin).

>KBL-G comes with Radeon Setting proper,
Show me the proof, because all I've seen is some new 'feature' where Intel 'optimizes'(read: put everything on low) games for their crap and that's it.

MULTI MOMMY MAMMARIES

>put everything on low)
Same as Poozen :))

It will be sold for 1000 bucks and will need a new socket.

>pcper.com/image/view/88557?return=node/69007
Here.

yeah, but they gave the explicit one. I guess it is just up to the developer to learn to make games.

>but they gave the explicit one.
They didn't, and explicit won't happen anyway.
Nothing in modern APIs maps to Vega's merged shader stages.

In your fucking dreams.

youtube.com/watch?v=K0cxIRp8Q0g

>1000 bucks
fuck no, 400 tops.
>new socket
just use tr4. problem solved.

I want new mobos
intel always lets the chinks launch mobos ahead of their chips, why can't mama lisa do the same?

why does mama Lisa have to be so mean?

Major beef I have with gaymer reviews that they test obviously lowend shit on newest AAAAAAA+ crap, why not run a somewhat older game that's still wildly played?
Still, for a 65W part that's really impressive.

>just use tr4.
No SP3 board supports video outputs.
I don't even know if SP3 has any pins dedicated to (i)GPU, since the super-Greenland APU was probably canned along with Project Skybridge.

>No SP3 board supports video outputs
just make one that supports it with b350 features.
done.

Read the post again.
Especially the
>I don't even know if SP3 has any pins dedicated to (i)GPU, since the super-Greenland APU was probably canned along with Project Skybridge.
part.

>why not run a somewhat older game that's still wildly played?
No benchmark mode, reviewers are lazy as dogshit, look at how none of the American reviewers bothered testing dual-rank DIMMs against single-rank.

lot of pins aren't in use in tr4.

Read the post again.
>since the super-Greenland APU was probably canned along with Project Skybridge.
Lisa did trim a lot of fat.
SP3 was supposed to house both Zen and K12-based server chips.
But, alas, no more!

>super-Greenland APU
we are not talking about that. this is different.
catch up.

You're suggesting exactly that.
It was (probably) canned.

>he APU, dubbed an “Exascale Heterogeneous Processor” or EHP for short is the mother of all APUs with 32 Zen Cores, an absolutely huge Greenland graphics die and upto 32 GB of HBM2 memory
>you are suggesting that.
no I'm not.

No, EHP is a fucking concept.
That requires active interposer ffs.
I was talking the actual Greenland APU that was on roadmaps once.
As I said, Lisa did trim the fat.
Everything that could not be turned into a viable product was canned or shelved, that includes things that did pass the tapeout, like K12.

a capable and profitable apu can always come according to market's needs. roadmap doesn't mean shit. it always changes.

>a capable and profitable apu can always come according to market's needs
The thing was aimed at HPC and had about as much market as socketable KNL solutions.
Aka fuckall.
No one needs fuckhuge powerhungry APUs.

>powerhungry APU
did you see overclocked 2400g? it 110w.
300w is all it needs.

>similar
Not even close.

>did you see overclocked 2400g? it 110w.
That's waaaay past the efficiency curve for 14LPP.
>300w is all it needs.
300W through the socket makes watercooling mandatory.

not with noctua.

So you still want to pull 300W through the socket.
Just buy a dGPU ffs.

>Just buy a dGPU ffs.
I WOULD IF I COULD

Oh, sorry...
...I forgot.

user meant total system power, not the CPU itself.

that i did. just the thought of it makes me excited.

Any Intel counterpoint to Ryzen is automatically null and void for one reason: Meltdown.

Ryzen 2 will also have better clocks, IPC and more security hardening.

I don't know what comes after Coffee Lake for desktop users, but it will have the same Meltdown and Spectre problems, with half the threads of any given Ryzen chip in the same price range.

I know you're shilling for Intel, but you're getting roasted by logic, economics, price points and sheer performance across the thread.

Also, see: You tried, kiddo.

by ryzen 2 do you mean zen+ or actual ryzen 2 coming in 1-2 yrs

Ryzen = Zen
Ryzen 2 = Zen+
Zen 2 = Zen 2
This isn't hard

No one knows what Zen 2 will be called, but Zen + is Ryzen 2

So, out of curiosity, think the die shrink for ryzen 2 will also introduce a 7nm process for Vega(or it's successor) on future APUs, meaning more CUs?

>No one knows what Zen 2 will be called
Ryzen 3.
Ryzen brand name has great reception.
Especially Jewsmasher,
Vega20 (the HPC and ML thingy) is already on 7nm, and is sampling H2 2018 (aka volume availability somewhere Q1 2019).

user no matter how much they shrink the dye and add moar cores, memory bandwidth will always kill performance and limit it to entry levels.

Only slightly at low thread counts, and it's nearly half the price anyway.

dedicated memory would fix it. consoles are good examples.

>AMD needs a killer laptop product
Just a laptop product would be a great start. Seriously.

I've looked at laptops the last few days. There's two laptops on the market in this country with the 2700U, a Acer Swift 3 SF315-41 and Lenovo IdeaPad 720S-13 81BR004AMX. That's it, that's what they got, two stores selling two laptops. Ryzen mobile is dead.

It sure makes me wonder what kind of deal Intel's made to ensure that there's as good as no laptops with the new Ryzen mobile APUs. Usually it's some kind of rebate thing, that's what Intel's been convicted of doing numerous times in the past (like that would make them stop).

Cool story you got there, too bad there's zero older AMD chips with toothpaste. Your bullshit hogwash "it's always been like this" story won't fly. Using toothpaste instead of solder is unacceptable and there is no defending it. I guess the only mildly mitigating thing to point at is that AMD is honest about it and admit that it's done to save costs. Intel uses toothpaste on their high-end chips and pretend it's not about pocketing more money.

Aka put that sweet sweet HBM on package.
Which is maybe gonna happen next year.

>Just a laptop product would be a great start.
These won't appear unless AMD has some killer SKUs to coerce OEMs to behave.
>Cool story you got there, too bad there's zero older AMD chips with toothpaste.
Are you retarded? Athlon II's had jizz, and almost every APU had jizz.
Llano, Trinity, Richland, all jizz.

>Cool story you got there, too bad there's zero older AMD chips with toothpaste.
LITERALLY ALL OF THEIR APUS HAVE ALWAYS USED TIM YOU RETARDED PIECE OF SHIT

Optimization is huge.

Before the last big Civ VI update, Intel consistently beat AMD for AI benchmarks, now after the update AMD is meeting or exceeding intel for the same benchmarks.

I genuinely think there is a possibility of apple adopting Ryzen, they are pretty cozy with AMD... and thats exactly the kind of soft marketing to legitimise it in the eyes of normies.

I got ryzen 1400 luckily. Intel prices in my country are fucking crazy. You know what I could've gotten for the money I paid for this Ryzen? An i3 7100 or an old quad i5.

Yeah the prices on kaby lake haven't really gone down in america either.
You can get an i5 8400 for around the same price as an i5 7400 new.

How can a refresh be Zen 2?

Yeah and then have to pay more for z370 motherboard.

wait tm

>just buy ebyn

Seriously, if Skylake-X is a joke, I'd rather recommend Xeon-W or even better, Xeon Gold if you want strictly Intel for some reason.
At least they don't gimp me out of RDIMMs, RAS features, lanes and ECC like Skylake-X

how the hell have they still not released low end boards yet?

I would agree. My 7980XE at 4.3 GHz (which I haven't pushed further because I have 4.3 stable at a comfortable voltage) hits up to 4270ish.

Because Intel wants your shekels.

Ryzen 1000 = Zen (Summit Ridge)
Ryzen 2000 = Zen+ (Pinnacle Ridge)
Ryzen 3000 = Zen2 (???)

>AMD unironically has better marketing right now.
That's some achievement by Intel

>doesn't come with a big performance decrease
What have you been smoking famalam? The microcode update does have a huge performance impact on systems especially with faster storage devices.

Source: Your ass

Isn't it the application's responsibility to fix it? Chrome and firefox have fixed it already.

>eliminate gpu bottleneck
Why not bench in 144p while you are at it too, are you sure 720p eliminates the bottleneck?
>that is a FACT
No one is rebutting that point; it's just that at sane resolutions the difference is negligible.

The socket did not change; in fact with a BIOS mod someone managed to get the 8350K to partially boot on a Z170 MSI motherboard. A microcode update was insufficient to load it fully; it required changes to the Intel ME firmware too.

Meltdown was easily fixed though. The big problem involving seizure-inducing broken microcode updates was to fix spectre v2 which is much easier to exploit in Intel processors as compared to AMD's.

Xeon-W is just an un-gimped Skylake-X. Not much difference to those anyway.

>AMD CPus @stock are horrible, its the only downside currently.

Then why does my stock-clocked r5 1600 shred anything i throw at it

lol Intelfags getting butt hurt that AMD is back. Sheesh Intel was doing shit for a good generation timeframe.

Better bring out a doom 1 benchmark in MS-DOS on a 1080Ti to make sure we arent bottlenecking mate

Not really I'm glad they can finally compete still their single core has yet to outperform my 7 year old i5.

A campaign costing about zero dollars (after rounding to the nearest million) bested millions in marketing and probably billions in mindshare. This reminds me of a certain election cycle.

Because you probably don't play games. If you run multicore applications its fine.

Ryzens multicore performance is awesome. Even for the 1400, if you compare scores and clocks to Intel.

The correct form of that is "Nobody got fired for buying IBM" and there was actually meaning behind that. Intel provides you with a processor, that's all. The real competition is to see what companies adopt AMD, since it's really all about the OEMs not individual businesses.

I feel like this environment is literally the worst-case-scenario possible for Intel. Not only does AMD have a competitive server chip (in case you don't know, Opteron was the last time that Intel was ever in panic mode), but they already lost all those collusion court cases in the EU and whatnot, meaning OEM's can't pull that rebate shit anymore without the world knowing, meaning that these are the first quarters in recorded human history where Intel and AMD are fighting on the same ground, business-wise.
And at the PRECISE moment that these two companies are directly competing with each other, this crushing vulnerability is discovered, giving AMD the CLEAR lead in performance and security in the minds of most businesspeople. And due to a miscalculation in their roadmap (much like the Opteron days), Intel won't have competition for the near future. If their next chip isn't some kind of magical quantum bullshit, Intel might be done as "World's #1 Performance Processor Manufacturer". They'll have to share a TRUE tie with AMD.

where do you think you are?

Not after the Spectre & Meltdown fiasco

I thought it was scheduled to be this week? kek

G4600 is still much, MUCH better

>not wanting the Kraken RGB cooler
wew lad

>RGB
kys

>lying on the internet

I like it because the mobos are cheap, and owning a Ryzen just feels aesthetic as fuck

>AMD cancelled nothing, gfx9-specific optimizations for merged shader stages are coming with NIR and new shader linker, for GNU/NEET at least.
Why is this myth still going around? They're adding support for fused function shader units, NOT primitive shaders. You should've been able to tell just by skimming through it. I only see this on Cred Forums and like one shill guy who's obviously from Cred Forums posting on forums like beyond.

Ryzen's power states and race to idle behavior still sucks compared to Intel. It's not happening, Apple's in enough shit as it is

>Replacing a copper IHS with a copper IHS
why?

intel somehow managed to find a way to cut corners even in making a simple piece of copper that when replaced with a proper one has noticably better thermal performance

But the IHS is aluminium.

On a Fatality itx
Mem runs with 2100 only right now

noice

How much clock? OC your RAM if you use the iGPU

>They're adding support for fused function shader units
That's what AMD calls primitive shaders.

Base Clocks no OC

Turbos nicely with the Wraith stealth
only prob i have with the Stock Cooler
is that wierd stepper like noise it makes, its not really loud but kinda annoying in a silent room

Sounds weird, I don't have that with the 1400 cooler. Maybe its defective. Compared to Intel these are a huge upgrade, completely silent idle, still silent under load, while staying very cool.

Anybody have some real world benchmarks on the 2200g and 2400g yet?

i.e. optimised settings, etc.

I've trued one of those out and I can agree
Set a custom fan curve in BIOS so it isn't running noisily when you aren't doing much

No they don't. Fused function shaders, combined shaders, whatever you want to call them have been used since evergreen. They're literally units that can do two things that used to require two different units. At best it'll offer negligible improvements in a handful of scenarios. Apparently they removed them from GCN uarchs but Vega added some back in, probably because of Raja i'm guessing. Primitive shaders are an entirely new type of general processing unit that take non-standard shaders generated by drivers to do a whole slew of things. Also, there was nothing in that presentation about an "implicit" path for anything, which is the actually important part of PS. You need to stop feeding people lies, the backlash only hurts AMD.

>Fused function shaders, combined shaders
Unified shaders?
>They're literally units that can do two things that used to require two different units.
No shit.
>Primitive shaders are an entirely new type of general processing unit
What the fuck are you talking about.
All they did in Vega was merging several internal GCN stages.
Now they need half-working software to make it non-useless.

>Unified shaders?
Aren't completely unified. There are still "fixed function" blocks in modern uarchs. I guess you could call it that, they're becoming more unified.

>All they did in Vega was merging several internal GCN stages.
>Now they need half-working software to make it non-useless.
PS is novel hardware m8. It either co-exists with the old pipeline or replaced it all together but the formeri s more likely because the hardware stages were detailed and it's mostly intact. Even if you just fused the functionality of all the units you couldn't make stuff like early-culling possible.

>There are still "fixed function" blocks in modern uarchs.
Well no shit. ROPs, REs/SEs and tesselators still do their work more efficienctly than any software solution possible.
>PS is novel hardware m8.
In some way, yes.
>It either co-exists with the old pipeline or replaced it all together
The former.
>the hardware stages were detailed and it's mostly intact
Well, Vega retains most internal hardware stages. 4 are simply merged.
>Even if you just fused the functionality of all the units you couldn't make stuff like early-culling possible.
Fusing units is only part of the job.
Pajeet wanted magical (well, it's not really magical, just really assbackwardsly difficult to make) software that handles code insertions and transforms to reap the benefits of merged stages.
>you couldn't make stuff like early-culling possible.
You can do that with compute shaders right now if you want, PS4 Pro has even a complier flag (you know which one) to simplify that.
Basically the entire Vega shitfest is Raja's shitty messaging: the finale.
Hopefully new SVPs will fix RTG.

What's the best itx board for a R5 2400g?

2500k here where should I got I am looking at zen+ 8 core, really wished they made a thread ripper apu, so I don't have to buy another gpu to pass through

I think asscock ones are decent.
SP3 APUs got canned along with Skybridge.
You can still buy a cheapo entry level (550 or 1030?) GPU for passthrough.

An APU won't be a big upgrade over a 2500k. Ryzen at like 4ghz is about equal to Sandy at 4.5Ghz or so. If you want a 8-core CPU wait until late march when the new ones come out. Should clock in at around 4.2 to 4.5ghz

I can't get my 2200g to work even with the new bios. It just won't display. I give up.

GPU supports UEFI? Tried with HDMI instead of DP?

Meh you're dumb. As far as multicore performance goes Ryzen still beats Coffee Lake at every single pricepoint. You can argue that Coffee Lake is better over all because single threaded is still of use in many workloads, but that's retarded because you don't need more single threaded than Ryzen can offer at 4.1 to get by even in those workloads (emulation is an exception here, but even there unless you're software rendering Shadow of the Colossus Ryzen will perform just dandy) and multicore workloads are always more time-consuming which is why you need the extra performance.
Now of course I do look forward to Ryzen with more IPC just so I can upgrade to a hexcore variant from my 1500X finally.

As for the 2400G, you clearly weren't paying attention to the benchmarks. The game I've seen benched at 720p low is PUBG. Everywhere else you can get away with 1080p low with framerates in the 40's, 50's if you have high speed RAM and overclock the iGPU a tad. Granted, not ideal, especially considering RAM prices, but those will drop once new fabs spring up and it's still the best solution for SFF,
And, console? Are you serious? The fuck you gonna do with one of those? Some of them don't even support MP4 and none of the current ones support KODI so for the living room they're bloody useless. Are they cheaper? Sure. Enjoy getting fucked in the ass by game prices and having to pay for online though. Why the hell would you buy a console considering the Vega 11 is more powerful than the older models of both of them and the CPU itself isn't a jaguar tablet-tier turd.
Absolute brainlet.

Finally upgraded from my phenom II build to a ryzen 1700X. Had to reuse my old radeon 5770 for a few weeks. Went to Best buy a few days ago to spend a $100 gift card and they had 1 single GTX card on the shelf for $419, just sucks its the single fan version.

Damn. Consider liquid cooling it. Should make it overclock above 2Ghz and you'll be set for a good few years. But for 400$ a 1070's a good deal.

Dude i'm still having to use my hd7850 from my phenom build over here

I seriously hate cryptoshitters with a burning passion, hope they lose all their parents' money they gambled at some point

>mfw running VMs while gaming and watching a video

>tfw your 990FX shit still does the job
Still want RYZEN eventually, the ipc gains are ridiculous.

>Rich people
>Dont like to save money

oh ok

>it may not be as good as its Intel counterparts

delid dis, stupid goy

its flatter than the normal IHS
it actually runs 5C or so cooler

No goy, you must support diversity and feminist frequency.

isnt this just a warranty enhancement to cover the increased likelihood of the CPU borking?

No they are copper with a thin plating of nickle

Can you not read or something? It unlocks Hyperthreading on that Pentium, essentially making it an i3 (with less cache).

SAY
MY
NAME

>94c
somebody call nine wan wan

arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/02/amd-sending-out-free-processors-to-solve-firmware-flashing-catch-22/

You might need to do this, user.

fpbp

I have the impression AMD support lines have to deal with a lot of people right now that think they're getting a free CPU, rather than just a loaner. Those clickbait titles are deceptive.

A max temperature of 94 on a single core for an overclock like that on an 18-core CPU is perfectly fine.

ergo more warranty coverage for the higher cost of replacement

Only on budget parts, making the cpu even cheaper. Intel uses thermal paste even on some high end consumer products and sells them at premium prices

Who cares? The vast majority of applications don't use more than one. Single core performance is where the difference is made for a home workstation.

>literally can't update his bios software

gtfo reddit

>TweakTown

i want to buy a 2600 now not in april giv it

>cpu package 94c
>1 core 94c.
>another 93c.
>the rest 70 and 80+
>made me post
hahahahaha.

>No legacy Windows support
Psh... based. Enjoy your daily does of Bill Gate's cock in your mouth and ass.

Why not just lap the ihs it comes with? I remember doing that with my q6600. Wasn't that difficult.

is there any point at all in getting a ryzen with vega graphics if I'm also going to get a GPU?

I'm just a little confused who this thing is for. Is it just intended to be aimed at the ultra low level of gaming?

Yes, it's mostly for low/mid-graphics profiles in esports games.

It's also for people that want to build/buy a productivity/work machine that uses Ryzen, but they don't need a dedicated GPU.

There's also probably a small amount of people that will buy a 2400G (or 2600G when/if that comes out) for a more high-performance build, but are waiting until GPU prices come down/new cards are released.

Do you need a thermal paste, if you polished cpu and cooler?

Vulkan games would benefit from this, and it might be the efficient choice in the future (but that is several generations of hardware from now)

See this thru:
youtube.com/watch?v=1u_vUWCEYXw

Yes. There's still going to be imperfections doing it by hand. Maybe you could get away with it doing it by machine to get both perfectly flat. I don't know.

You're fucking retarded.

Yeah, those temperatures are perfectly fine for stress testing a 4.4GHz overclock on an 18-core CPU. We're not debating this - I'm telling you.

>be amd
>have one of the main buisnesses literally sold out
>still don't have a competitive edge

how is this even possible

tb honest, refuges need our help. We destivilesed th mid east and we dserve evething that happen t us

If machines could do it perfectly then we wouldn't need thermal paste

The reason you don't see it done is time and cost. Intel can't be bothered to spend and extra few shekels for better TIM why would they bother to make their IHS perfectly flat.

Even expensive custom IHS replacements still want you to use thermal paste. Not to mention those still use TIM to make contact with the CPU so you're never really free from it.

Of course they would. I haven't seen any go to extreme lengths to get perfect flatness and they can't guarantee that your heatsink would be perfectly flat either.