User Scripts (including opengl shaders):
>github.com/mpv-player/mpv/wiki/User-Scripts

High quality video output profile (goes into mpv.conf):
>profile=gpu-hq

Input and config documentation:
>mpv.io/manual/master/#configuration-files

Input.conf:
>github.com/mpv-player/mpv/blob/master/etc/input.conf

Post your system specs and config if youre asking performance related questions.

Winblows builds:
Stable Portable: mpv.srsfckn.biz/
Stable Installer: rorgoroth.bitbucket.io/
Git Portable: sourceforge.net/projects/mpv-player-windows/files/

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/mpv-player/mpv/wiki/User-Scripts
mpv.io/manual/master/#subtitles
github.com/mpv-player/mpv/issues/5500
github.com/rossy/mpv-install/blob/master/README.md
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Oniichan, why doesn't mpv have a built-in, finely-tuned, optimized, anime preset? Why do we have to copy/paste bullshit settings from boards to have a decent anime rendering? Why can't mpv devs provide us with a quality, blur-free, preset?

>--preset=default
>preset options are anime, film, flicks, television, live, 3dcg, default

Ok
profile=gpu-hq

But can it search anx download subtitles straight like my favourite mpc?

github.com/mpv-player/mpv/wiki/User-Scripts

Theres a couple different ones that dl subs

Am I retarded or is there no difference between default profile and gpu-hq

Can anyone install mpv on homebrew cask? Getting a checksum error.

If you don't know what you're looking for or are playing files at near native resolution you probably won't notice much

If your source is already good there might nit be much difference. Or if you just cant tell because your display is shit. It will be more noticeable when upscaling or if the source isnt that great

I see, I was testing it on high bitrate 1.5gb animu 1080p so that might've been why

>If your source is already good there might nit be much difference
Very valid point, I think a lot of people tend to forget this. mpv should be the last link in the chain - regardless of how much you tinker with your config if you're downloading an inferior source you're getting a sub par experience.

>I see, I was testing it on high bitrate 1.5gb animu 1080p so that might've been why
Off the top of my head the only thing that would stick out in a case like this is debanding, unless the encoder has already done the work for you
Check out a HorribleSubs release and look for dark scenes, should be pretty apparent.

anyone have any idea why some options don't work? in particular keepaspect-window. i'm on ubuntu

Do mpv --list-options and check if it's actually even there

it is

Does it not open in the videos aspect? It's the default option.

it does but i can freely resize the window with black bars appearing around the video

Works fine here using W10

well that's the funny part, it works on my win10 machine too but not on ubuntu

I just noticed that if I select multiple files in my file manager then hit enter it opens them all as separate windows instead of a playlist. Is this a bug or did they change it for some reason? On linux git master.

how to change subtitle encoding?

Not sure what you mean but theres a big section on subs in the manual

mpv.io/manual/master/#subtitles

I really hope madshi and nev will create a proper madPlayer.

Hello friends, I have a 6 year old laptop that stutters when I play high bitrate videos. Can I do something with configs that makes it stop frame dropping or am I fucked?

Try using hwdec=yes

Can someone with ThinkPad X220 share their anime preset?

If you're only upscaling chroma and you don't need debanding, yeah they'll look more or less the same.

>recompile mpv-build today
>vulkan magically works for me now
Did I miss something? I used to have issues with it since revision 2, but now it just works perfectly.

Wat happened to the GUI?
Is happening or what

I doubt it will happen. The discussion on the issue has gone pretty much nowhere.

Thats freetards for you

It's better to have a pleb filter anyway.

Why do you expect this shit to happen instantly? Theres a lot to consider.

github.com/mpv-player/mpv/issues/5500

No but there is zero consensus from anyone.

>~500 FPS in raw throughput test on laptop
th-thanks mpv

To benchmark vulkan would I have to start an xorg session without compositing? I just get FPS unavailable, but I think that's because I'm running wayland so opengl is probably always on.

What's the solution?
>add a right click menu/build a menu into the osc
>will probably be a shitty half measure that guifags will still bitch about

>make a new gui from scratch
>no one wants to do it

>adopt an existing gui
>all the best ones are either dead or not multiplatform

If you want a GUI, mpc-qt is probably the best one. IIRC, smplayer doesn't actually use libmpv and relies on a bunch of hacks.

Idk I'm on Windows

Been getting significantly higher gpu usage on this PC than my last for the same settings. Is spiking up to 60% relatively normal for anime files? Ryzen 1700x and 1070 FE using shinchiro's latest build.

Dont use hwdec?
You shouldnt use it unless its your last resort anyways.

Also, try using vulkan or d3d11

Delete hwdec=d3d11va and add
gpu-api=vulkan
gpu-context=winvk
or try
gpu-context=d3d11

Thanks a lot.

what's so special about this player?
i use VLC

>tfw /mpv/ is only active on weekends

Also try adding vd-lavc-dr=yes for direct rendering

You can use vulkan.

what's so special about that?

When I try to use any scale, cscale or shader options in mpv, I suddenly get the following error.

[vo/gpu/wayland] Error occurred on the display fd, closing

Any ideas? I'm trying to use vulkan on wayland with --gpu-context=waylandvk.

So I got this subliminal script to download subs for all videos in the folder I point

from datetime import timedelta

from babelfish import Language
from subliminal import download_best_subtitles, region, save_subtitles, scan_videos

# configure the cache
region.configure('dogpile.cache.dbm', arguments={'filename': 'cachefile.dbm'})

# scan for videos newer than 2 weeks and their existing subtitles in a folder
videos = scan_videos('LOCATION HERE', age=timedelta(weeks=4))

# download best subtitles
subtitles = download_best_subtitles(videos, {Language('eng')})

# save them to disk, next to the video
for v in videos:
save_subtitles(v, subtitles[v])

But is there any way to make it just use the folder that the script is in? Or maybe a prompt and I type the location I want instead of editing the script every time I want to use it? I know it's not totally related to mpv, but I thought some people might know about it in here, thanks

is there no git installer for windows?

>git installer

oh, I'm sorry, is there any installer for the git version for windows? that clearer for you?

pacman -S git in msys2

I obviously meant installer for the git version of mpv, mr. smarty pants

Perhaps you will find a clue to your quest by visiting their official website

gee idk i wish i could read...

these are portable moron, why do you think I'm asking for a installer? the only installer I could find is for stable

>why do you think I'm asking for a installer?
Not him but I have no idea why you are.

I need it for a very specific reason no one else could possibly understand

Enlighten me user. My IQ is at least 150.

File association is all messed up in my w10 pc and I wanted to see if an installer would fix that, I didn't want to use the installer for stable because I already updated my config and scripts. I thought I would get a simple answer, like 'no, there's no installer for the git version of mpv for windows' but the moron wanted to convey the thoughts in his brain and I had to amuse myself a bit. Mpv is not the only thing that's not working there so I might as well just reset everything.

just... use the installer and replace the exe?

If file associations are the issue, I'm pretty sure there's some bat script somewhere that handles it. There is no "installer" for mpv. Just prebuilt binaries.

The git thing has a batch script literally named "mpv-install.bat" that does exactly that.

Git portable has a .bat file that associates files for you
Same as an installer but optional

you're the idiot that needs an installer for a single-executable application.
if you had at least taken a look you would have seen that it DOES have a file association thingy like says

I didn't know the .exe was the only difference in them, I will try
There are installers
I know it's not working on my system, I'm not using mpv for the very first time

Thanks you're just as smart as the guy that uses anime reaction pictures

Those aren't portable retard, there's literally a folder named installer in shinchiro's builds, end yourself retard.

The installer bat doesn't do everything a normal installer can/would do, you can read the readme on github, but here's a tip for when you want to pretend to be smart on the internet: don't be a retarded brainlet, fag

You were asking for an installer right? That's your installer retard.

You would be surprised, how many applications can function completely fine by just copying their installation folder on new PC. Helps a lot in cases, when you reinstall OS. In rare cases that they don't - something needs to be added to registry. That is exactly what that .bat does. There is literally nothing else that matters, except maybe some outside folders, that are created by applications automatically. If you still have some problems - your OS is fucked.
You can probably associate files through OS tools, but I find it more functional to open files using cmd. To do that quickly, add file named 1.bat to C:\Users\"your user name". Write to that file something like:
d:
cd mpv
if your mpv directory is in D:\mpv.
After that just press Win+R, type cmd, and in terminal type 1 and press enter. After that type mpv, space, drag and drop file that you want to play. Can add something like -v between mpv and file path to have a lot of additional information. Portable application are more robust, don't be retarded. Keep your configuration files in mpv folder in portable_config subfolder. This way everything mpv related will be in this folder, unaffected by any OS fuckery.

That what I do except I just copy path for the file and mpv + paste on cmd, everything was working fine until few days ago and I wanted the installer to see if it would fix my problems even though I know it's probably something in my OS, but which is better: ask a single question on Cred Forums or reinstall my whole system? Apparently the latter as we see from the thread. I'm already reseting the OS so I don't need any more help, just something I thought I might try before doing that, but people around here love acting like retards and faggots, and that will probably never change.

If there's one thing I've learned from all boards on Cred Forums it's that you do the use opposite of whatever convoluted shit they recommend. AMIAMI, Cred Forums? Oh I have to translate everything, and my items take forever to get here? Wow this package is damaged, too. I'll pay a couple bucks extra for the convenience on otakumode. PVM for retro games /vr/? Uhhh I'm good with my regular crt. I actually enjoy playing the retro games, not making sure I have the best picture possible for fifteen hours. cli programs over gui? Uhhh I actually have work to do Cred Forums I don't have time to learn the ins and outs of every cli program.
So no, I won't be using mpv. I'll just download vlc, not configure anything, and be done with an entire season by the time you're finally satisfied with your mpv settings.

If the project goes open source, maybe.
Nobody uses madVR anymore nowadays anyway, MPC-BE default decoder does a good enough job already.

mpv runs perfectly fine ootb and it's how pretty much everyone should use it unless it doesn't fit their needs, nice b8 tho

I don't remember ever having to copy and pasting text into VLC to enable high GPU settings so I'll just stick with VLC. I'm happy with it and notice no problem with how my media looks or runs.

You have to go into menus to get them just like you have to write a few words on a text file with mpv, VLC's """""high-quality""""" renderer is disabled out of the box for the same reason mpv's is, compatibility
Aside from that VLC still suffers from fucking up the color range, along with a plethora of other retarded fuckups, there's a reason they were cooperating with Haasn on libplacebo for a while
This b8 wasn't nice anymore, you fucked up and didn't keep the subtlety of the last post

VLC doesn't have any high GPU settings

>madVR
>MPC-BE default decoder
they have nothing in common

Talking about MPC-BE, there was a revision yesterday and also another one just 10 minutes ago, before these two revisions last one was from 2017.

do this

Remove antiring, remove hwdec, don't use adaptive sharpen with all content.

Does anybody here use an option to normalize audio volume? I found 'dynaudnorm' but I am not sure if I should change any of it's settings and stuff

Just use this to set up file association. I use it with shinchiros builds.

github.com/rossy/mpv-install/blob/master/README.md

I'm sick of so muhc media on my system have earsplitting action scenes and whisper quiet dialouge. Do any of you use dynamic range compression? Suggestions for a decent setting?

--ad-lavc-ac3drc=

I use replaygain for all my music too. I realise it's a different thing to compression but it can be tagged to the file itself, is there a way to do this for my video files too or do I just have to hope whatever I'm playing it on has the options to compress the audio range?

Stop downloading yify
Decent encodes dont have this problem

af=dynaudnorm with a custom keybind to toggle it

:^)

I'll have a looksee thanks

Just turn up the volume and stop being embarrassed when you watch your little chinese girl cartoons in the house.

You're a retard that doesn't know what drc is supposed to be for.

You can't fool me. You're just worried about having to turn up the volume on a quiet part only for the character to suddenly yell later and give away your secret.

This detailed explanation reveals more about yourself than you think.

well my anime isn't the problem ackshually it almost always feature films, even tv shows are usually mastered pretty well.

he's just an underage child who needs some attention

I don't watch movies, but I've had a few anime shows do this to me before.

Madshi seems to be inactive...
We need more new things and competition to boost him.

Madshi secretly switched to mpv which is why he's having trouble developing for madVR.

Why not developing a madVR interface for mpv?
Some guys talked about a madPlayer, but he said he didn't want to compete with other directshow players.

>Why not developing a madVR interface for mpv?
madVR depends on directshow so this is impossible.

Is it that hard to change?

why isn't this on f-droid already?

It's a completely different API. It would take a total rewrite.

Damn...

It's okay. gpu is better anyway.

I can't switch to mpv completely because I love madvr.

Tell me about your love for madVR.

I'm too used to it.

You are weak.

No, lazy. :)

I am forced to use windows for now.
I downloaded portable git version, where can i put .conf file?

why is the livestream support so shit? 0.28 both linux/win can open a yt stream but freeze after 5 seconds
lastest win git works but i cant track down the issue neither the retarded devs managed to do it, they always blame it on the user and what not
they probably fucked up something on 0.28, baka mplayer for some reason doesnt have this issue and that thing is more than a year old already

same directory as the exe

I haven't had any issues
Did you give the devs verbose logs?

There was some commit that messed up livestreaming for some people. IIRC, they fixed it later in git master, so try that.

Sounds like you're just too stupid to actually follow advice being as amiami's website has an english version.

I've been using the following settings for a while:

profile=gpu-hq
scale=ewa_lanczossharp
cscale=ewa_lanczossoft
interpolation
tscale=oversample
video-sync=display-resample

But recently, whenever I go into full screen, I've been experiencing some very noticeable image ghosting/stuttering. It stops happening if I disable interpolation. Any idea what's happening and what I can do about it (other than leave interpolation off)?

Maybe your gpu drivers have had a performance regression or something somewhere. Update to latest master if you aren't already. You can try different gpu-api settings (opengl, vulkan, etc.) and see if any of those give you better performance.

Thanks, this seems to be the issue. Both opengl and vulkan work fine, but after testing a few different files, vulkan seems to give the best performance.

what your yt-dl options?

Need some help, lately (slightly over a week) I've been getting some small freezes on every video I play. Haven't changed anything on my .conf nor installed anything resource intensive.

.conf only has
>gpu-api=d3d11
>profile=gpu-hq
and screenshot settings

Already updated to yesterday's build and it still happens

Did you try without config?

I _think_ they weren't as common this time without config but they still happen, like twice every episode or so.