Linux distros

Which linux distro are you currently using and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

fosdem.org/2018/schedule/event/usingguix/
docs.slackware.com/slackware:package_and_dependency_management_shouldn_t_put_you_off_slackware
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I use Arch btw

Void! ^.^

Archfags start these threads just so they can say they use Arch

what you calling Linux? You mean The gnu, a component system

Kubuntu because fuck I want shit to werks
also I'm more a KDE guy

fedora gnome

functions better than manjaro gnome. manjaro gnome is sluggish despite using less ram

netbsd is pretty nice

Kali coz I am learning pentesting

Fedora Workstation.

it is the only distro i haven't had any trouble with. Everything works out of the box.

unironically using arch here on my Atom N550 laptop.

Gentoo cuz some one told me to

Elementary OS cause I'm still looking into other distros before abandoning ship

Debian
Just werks. Use to always be on Ubuntu based distros but I made the switch to Debian because I started to dislike some of the choices made by Canonical and now I feel like I never want to go back.

Antergos

Ubuntu on my laptop because ez compatibility
Centos at home because studying for the RHCE
Debian on the VPS because it's easier to upgrade across releases compared to centos

same except I use neon

mint on my laptop, ubuntu on my vm.

Went with ubuntu because it was familiar

went with mint because after using it in my vm, I fucking hate ubuntu and i just want something to work without randomly breaking

Void bspwm

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

It just get funnier!

Arch because my laptop is crapware, and I prefer pacman to apt.

Arch community is shit though, the only thing I like about it is the extensive wiki

Arch on desktop because of best wiki, AUR and fresh packages, Ubuntu and Debian on servers, because of tons of guides
Everything just works
I've tried CentOS and I don't like it, because of ancient packages

I'm using Android.

BunsenLabs because I wanted something stable with Openbox pre-installed.
I might switch to something else once I get a new laptop.

Solus OS on a 60GB SSD, Ubuntu 16.04 on an older asus laptop, Manjaro XFCE on my 11.6" Acer lappy that only has 2 GB ram because I like playing around with OS even though I am not a programmer( only know a bit of Matlab)

Nice pasta, Stallman.

ZorinOS
Because Xfce is shit by default and ZorinOS fixes all but screen tearing.

Gentoo. Because it worked well for over 10 years.

Configuration management is sane, package manager + tooling gives you all the tools you need to handle issues, and so on.

I actually just use the Bash client on Windows 10. I need Win10 for game compatibility.

I know imma get roasted to hell

xubuntu, it werks

>Archfags start these threads just so they can say they use Arch
That's an absurd. It's mere a coincidence that OP made this thread and he uses arch...
I use arch too! I like how arch just works! (After configuring it to ones taste of course!)

Linux is an OS (and a kernel), GNU is just part of Linux. Without linux kernel no one would know about GNU now.

Ubuntu because it's getting great. 18.04 will be wonderful. They wil get that fucking UI getting real great nigger. I read about nigger. It's going to be great. Wise choice. I know I will stick with it. I know I will stick with it. It's getting there and getting there quickly. Anyway, the improvements are fucking topnotch 'n' shit. Niggers.

Ubuntustudio because I make music and the latency is a god-send.

I haven't actually installed steam or any games on this yet because I'm afraid it will explode

gentoo because I wanted to take the plunge and learn more about how linux works

>and learn more about how linux works
how did that work out?

Ubuntu server install with i3. Minimal bloat, but consistent with what I have to use at work.

is ubuntu server just the naked os without DE?

From what I understand, yeah. They also offer a mini.iso which is supposed to be the same thing, but you need a disk drive for that if you have a UEFI mobo.

I've gone it Cred Forums
I installed Ubuntu, then KDE then tried themes and these sorts of things
What do i do now to EVOLVE?

I learned quite a bit more but I'm still in the dark about everything

I just migrated from windows and i really want to use this but it looks like linux is just to show off a nice looking desktop and a screenfetch

Install Windows LTSB.

fedora it was in my sub when my drive died

Fedora with Cinnamon. It's pretty comfy.

yeah, I have tried out the mini.iso, but I have always picked a DE from the installer, never tried to install without a DE

Arch
Because pacman is fast, and AUR covers 99.99% of everything i need.
Close to bleeding edge, I don't need to wait 6 months for year old software.
Stable, I had Ubuntu installs commit suicide on me more times than Arch.

for most people here, it is just to show off. Just see the vast majority of the screenshots, the uptimes is almost always

Manjaro, cause I didn't had a lot time to install Arch

Fedora because comfy, and also sysadmin in CentOS/RHEL environment.

It's really great for programming.
If you think about it, it's an OS made by programmers for themselves.
While Windows is an OS made by marketing departments for tech illiterate people.

Arch because I started using it some time ago and it just got comfy.

I want an desktop with just the top bar from GNOME, no open apps bar at the bottom any suggestions?

>I'd just like to interject for a m-
*blocks your path*

Debian is my go to distro. It’s stable and everything I need works. I use the i3 window manager because I prefer using the keyboard instead of a mouse/trackpad.

I'm not using Linux because I have standards and deadlines.

why are your lines dead?

Antergos(but wothout antergos repo and antergos related software) with Kde

KDE Neon

I like Ubuntu-based distributions for their stability and ease of use.
I like KDE.
I like bleeding-edge KDE.
I can't be bothered to try anything else. Suppose that's the end goal of distro hopping.

GalliumOS.

It's my only option. It's pretty good.

I'm winfag, I'm testing arch and xubuntu on virtualbox right now, and arch is faster and lighter than xubuntu, but xubuntu doesn't breaks after 5 reboots, may try debian and maybe gentoo, if i have enough, braincells to install it .

You sound like an animal crossing villager.

xubuntu, it just works, has a huge software collection, a large user base for help and support and PPAs for any software you can think of, just like any ubuntu flavor. it's pretty much lightweight although it comes with a complete set of GUI setting tools and daemons.

i use it with openbox and use xfsettingsd to configure everything, from key bindings to GTK and icon themes.

xfvolumed, xfce4-power-manager, xfrun4.... every xfce DE tool is functional, simple and not bloated. would recommend, even if you don't use the XFCE desktop.

centos

Qubes 4.0-rc4

I can totally recommend it.

I can't imagine using anything other than Arch on my x86 PC's but I do use Void on my RasPi.

Debian is what I use. There may be some stupid things going on in the default repositories, like, for example, packaging gtk-window-decorator without gtk3 support and also gtk3 version of metacity(they can't work together so gtk window decorator is almost useless). But good thing us that Debian is so popular, you can find anything already packaged for Debian or at least sources providing a clean exploitation on how to build a program under Debian.

Red Star, too bad it's only 32 bit though.

Gentoo
Portage and flexibility

Linux is the name of the kernel that Linus Torvalds developed starting in 1991. The operating system in which Linux is used is basically GNU with Linux added. To call the whole system “Linux” is both unfair and confusing. Please call the complete system GNU/Linux, both to give the GNU Project credit and to distinguish the whole system from the kernel alone.

none because im waiting for either xfce 4.14 or an nvidia compatible compositor for mate that wont give me mouse lag.

gnome + extensions, or cinnamon with the panel on top.

Mint kde because just works

>"I like software that's 2 years out of date"
disgusting

What's the advantage of netBSD over free and openBSD? Not trying to start and argument just curious

Linux From Scratch, because I wanted certain things a certain way and did not want certain other things.

KDE Neon, because just werks.

OpenBSD has limited hardware support, whereas NetBSD runs on literally anything.

Also, FreeBSD is run by retards.

originally fell for the Cred Forumsentoo meme, but eventually got tired of portage's autism. Now I'm on Slackware, which is much more /comfy/.

Mint

Hi grandpa

(You) are a certain linux user

Ubuntu... Because stability and my time are the most important things.

Just started using Parrot
Feels nice desu

>logged in as root

xubuntu cause it just werks

Fedora 24 with KDE

And I made 0 (zero) customization

I'm using Android.

Linux From Scratch... On VM.
On real machine at this point - none.
Used before openSUSE and Xubuntu...

Port DE on more decent core.

Debian, ultimate comfy OS. Slackware on netbook.

Because I like KDE and Ubuntu.

Name a desktop environment that's better than KDE you faggots. The only ones that come close are Budgie and Cinnamon.

kde has ram leakage

>gnome
>comfy

I use Manjaro with KDE

CentOS 6 on basically every system.
Going to switch to Slackware because fuck systemd.

Apart from the fact I installed the GNU userland on every Solaris and SCO system I had to admin.

No.

Switched from Slackware to Crux. It has less bloat and more control over how packages are compiled.

Nixos: one single declarative config for everything, for every machine.
>so comfy

Using Debian. Wonder if Slackware has up to date STABLE packages, or if it's lighter.

I'm so used to apt's ease of use, I don't know if I'm smart enough to figure out Slackware.

How's dwm compared to awesomewm?

Wouldn't there be even less bloat with a netinstall.iso of Debain stable?

debian 9 stable xfce

Slackware is a steeper learning curve than Debian. The learning doesn't stop with the install, but carries on into maintenance and updates etc.

When I first used Debian it took me two weeks to feel that I had 'arrived' and that I was comfortable. With Slackware it's been over six weeks and I'm still learning. Really it depends on how much you care.

THIS

GNU/GuixSD
Reminds me of Knoppix + portage or sourcemage.

You can rebuild packages for any architecture with versioning control and ability to revert borked updates.
Lots of other crazy shit but I'm still learning so I've only touched the surface.

fosdem.org/2018/schedule/event/usingguix/

Sorry for shitty audio it was nice live.

Debian with mate

Android. It came with my phone. I wish I could get rid of it and put Windows on there, but Linux is a proprietary botnet.

USE flags when?

>the only thing I like about it is the extensive wiki
their wiki applies 90% to every linux distro

When will Linus fix the Linux filepicker?

OpenSUSE, for the easy setup of btrfs with encryption. Using it on my desktop and my work laptop.

This is a horrible argument.

All relevant tools used by developers is available in Windows (except obvious Apple bullshit which Linux also doesn't have).

Linux is just a kernel, like NT in windows.
Please use the correct term GNU/Linux.

Void

No one cares, nerd

WAY lighter, and simpler in its design. With awesome, I think you configure it with Lua scripts. With dwm, you literally edit the C header file (named config.h), and then recompile to load the configuration. The tiling works in a "master" and "stack" system, which is explained on the site. It's also pretty solid for floating windows too.

Gentoo

Wanted to get away from systemd. Use flags are also really nice.

Slackware is actually easier to figure out than debian or gentoo, it just has a reputation for being "hard" because it's package manager doesn't handle dependencies for you (which isn't as annoying as it first sounds, and there are a lot of tools to deal with that if you want anyway, like slpkg and sbotools).

That being said, it isn't exactly a minimalist distro by default, and includes kitchen sink libraries and stuff that you might eventually need if you're installing any 3rd party package (like off slackbuilds.org) to make your life easier and have to hunt down less dependencies.

A nice bonus to all this, is that making your own SlackBuilds and slackware packages is incredibly easy, if you can't find whatever software you want packaged up already. Making it a lot easier to have your system be aware of random obscure apps you install from github or whatever. It also means you can update apps easily anytime you want, regardless of what version any package maintainers have them at. So yeah, you can have all completely bleeding edge packages if you wanted to just by changing the version numbers in some files. You can literally have any kind of distro you want without fighting the package manager this way. Doing the same stuff with practically any other distro is quite a chore in comparison.

more info:
docs.slackware.com/slackware:package_and_dependency_management_shouldn_t_put_you_off_slackware

Fedora and Void. Void has been super easy to configure despite being minimal out of the box. Fedora, because it's my main distro RN. Might switch to Void entirely if things keep going well.

Manjaro with Xmonad

>What happened to CloverOS?

which linux distro is best for people coming from MacOSX? I love my screen optimization, window switching, and mission control stuff, but I'm starting to get tired of Apple's bullshit and would like more customization.

>Virtualbox
Faggot either dual boot or fuck off and quit posting your neofetche's in every Linux thread

Artix. It's Arch but without systemd which is nice.

>screen optimization
>mission control

Mint on desktop and lubuntu on my old laptop (both works well enough)

>(You)

Arch on an old laptop. Ubuntu on the desktop.
Wanted to install arch on the desktop too but I didn't think it would do proper power management.

See this

Mint because it's easy and I'm a brainlet
still dual bootin

Xubuntu on my desktop, Ubuntu on my X200 tablet. Tried Manjaro on my desktop with KDE but KDE graphics and usability bugs piss me off and pacman was very conservative with dependencies.

whatever windows version is on xbones bc fuck ganoo+lincux

Void because no systemd

I was almost happy to see this
>virtual box
You are not USING any Linux distro right now, you are not allowed to post in this thread. Fucking cuck.

see:

But if they want to brag they should be using gentoo not arch

Nice job

ubuntu gnome
get the mac gtk theme and you are good to go

Zorin OS Ultimate (updated to latest, got it free via torrent) to try games and a few other apps on Linux in general on my Desktop PC (AMD Ryzen build).

Long story I wanted to take a simple approach to Linux without getting bloated by Ubuntu too much (aware of known security issues with sharing data, no immediate issues noticed with settings but aware privacy could be off or not to my intended preferences) and I like using the Mac toddle GUI (still Gnome).

So far all is well but I am aware Zorin isn't as up-to-date as Ubuntu and I have been given some suggestions of playing Windows games through a simpler setup on PlayOnLinux rather than the now dated Wine 2.0 from Zorin (sufficient for running MS Office but not the best choice alone for games in general).

I might try Debian if I feel like making a significant change to my setup.
For roots both Windows and Mac so I am learning a bit of Linux to have an idea of how to use all three platforms.

No you dont.

>more control over how packages are compiled.

How so?

How do I get tile preview in firefox when uploading an image on Cred Forums? I know OpenSUSE has it covered and Arch borrowed a fix from them, but is there a solution for debian-based systems?

Slackware of course.

It's a problem in GTK so people who are using KDE don't have that problem. Everyone is still waiting for GTK developers to accept the patch that was made. Distro doesn't matter that much, except that Arch has the patch available. I don't know if it works in Debian but you probably have to manually keep GTK updated after doing that, package manager doesn't take care of it.

Why does fedora seem so unpopular?

Srs question

I'm testing arch right now, any suggestions?

Zorin os, I'm a windows user (i use LTSB) But been having fun with zorin

Openbsd 4 life

Ubuntu. I recently switched/starting dual-booting over to Linux and Ubuntu was the most popular, but, I've heard, 18.04 will start collecting data. So...
gots to switch senpai

copy pasta material

Work Machine: Debian

Laptop: Manjaro (XFCE), might be swapping this sometime soon, though.

Desktop: Antergos. I dual boot to Win10 for MUH VRS, but only because PCIE passthrough sucks when you're running bare minimum specs for powering a Vive.

Old Laptop: Arch again, used to host some servers.

And no PPA support. Debian kinda sucks if you want anything that isn't in the repos

because if you're using a redhat-based distro why would you use anything other than centos

Linux Mint of course. Easy to use, stable and cinnamon is just top tier.

Salix OS brings all the advantages of Slackware with a package manager who handles dependencies. You can use slpkg which is another package manager to grab fresh and stable packages from Slackbuilds.org. Salix is basically Slackware with more polish and convenience.

He's busy with his youtube channel

RHEL

It's what we use at work.

I use weendows at home because I spend enough time wrangling linux at work, I just want to shitpost and play muh games.

Ubuntu server with MATE Desktop Environment. Because it just werks.

Arch on my main desktop.
I actually need bleeding-edge packages for the software I'm developing.

Arch GNU/Linux.

I'm glad this is displaying bogomips.

Arch for the AUR and the ABS (Arch build system - Arch version of ports)

Xubuntu because it just works.

OS are tools. If it works it doesn't matter what you run. Using an OS isn't supporting an OS.

Manjaro with KDE
And also an AntiX/Devuan dual boot on my ThinkPad R60

pape please

VMs are the way to run Linux. Keep Windows as host for gayming and run whatever in VMs.

VMs are as legit as bare metal installs and dual booting makes little sense unless you are running a truly crippled machine. OS are tools so why not have both at once?

>I've heard

But can't be arsed to verify or turn off data collection if in fact it exists.

KDE Neon, it works and has the best KDE implementation.

Learn you a Slackware in THREE EASY STEPS:

1. Install slackpkg plus
>the config file has a commented out list of additional repos
>also now would be a good time to check slackpkg configs

2. Look through alienBOB's repos (also in slackpkg plus)
>he has some good stuff on his main repo
>he has a multilibs repo for 32bit stuff, important for gaming
>he also has the ktown repo, which is KDE 5

3. Get to know slackbuilds.org (there's also sbopkg which is basically slackpkg for that website)
>I only really use alienbob on slackpkg plus, any other software I generally build from SB
>SB is also a good reference for when you MUST build a package from source, you learn a lot from looking at their scripts

Also just look for documentation, and read the scripts. Everything is generally pretty well commented or documented. Except for the slackbook, that's pretty out of date I think.

I should probably get off my arse and contribute to the slackbook myself. It's one thing I could actually do. Maybe next month...

Is there any good reason to use one of the trillion various starter pack distros rather than just going with the "main" one like debian, arch, fedora, opensuse etc?

I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux operating system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.

Why should move from Debian? I never get errors in the terminal with apt, and all the programs I like work without a problem. I know people say apt is hell, but I've never had a problem with it, and I can use PPAs from Ubuntu or wherever.

I'll read over the documentation.

I'll have to try out dwm, but I like the keybinds for awesomewm, though out of all the tiling wms, awesome uses the most RAM from what I've seen.

>Cinnamon is top tier
>1.7 GiB of RAM used
>.7 is for Cinnamon itself
My sides

Debian because Arch dropped support for 32-bit computers.

I use Linux with bash and libelf.

OpenSUSE, because Ubuntu is botnet, and openSUSE is free beta of SLES.

use cinnamon when you're too lazy to get xfce or kde and configure it to look like cinnamon or something better

You mean use Linux as host and keep Windows in a VM for gaming.

Ubuntu. I'm too shite to use something else, and I just need something that werks

>32-bit in 2018

Yeah and dwm uses pretty much the least.

What distro do I want?
>Xubuntu.
>Excellent once I finally stopped radeon tearing.
>Wifi bug in that version of Ubuntu and grass is greener tempted me away

>Fedora with GNOME
>Also excellent to begin with, but bugs and issues are popping up everywhere. Have to bodge programs like Spotify cos they're made for .deb and get SELinux bugs everywhere. Steam games don't work but admittedly I never tried it on Xubuntu.
>Even VirtualBox doesn't work

Lack of program support and "just werks" is turning me off Fedora.
So I'm torn between Debian and Ubuntu, and between xfce and GNOME.

Xubuntu has that nice noob Ubuntu support and every program on earth is made to work with ubuntu.
Debian with gnome has an unmolested clean gnome build and that noob "most widely used and developed DE" support bonus
Debian with xfce is real clean and nice but might be lacking

PCLinuxOS
Because it's up-to-date, fully-featured and systemd-free.

gentoo and i dont even know why.

Pape pls?

Sorry, but I'm poor af mate.

opensuse is better KDE for me than anything else, Plasma is just beautiful, plus tumbleweed is like poor mans Arch. A+

theres nothing wrong with using 32 bit if you have

Your point being?

>64-bit's only benefit is MUH RAM

the binaries are bigger too.

Can't afford to update to 64-bit hardware.

>literally the same price
?????

Cus muh gentoo