Solus is the best distro

>most stable rolling release distro
>hardworking dev team (made for desktop usage and nothing else
>clean and polished base
>reduced bloat, just over 1gb download size
why use broken archshit other broken and buggy meme distros and use solus?

dumb kevinposter

I'm waiting for Budgie to switch to Qt

fuck off kevin

>perfectly good linux distro for everyday desktop use
>Cred Forums hates it, convinces the rest of you nerds not to use it because kevin, muh repos, etc
>support forums, irc, help center, etc full of useful information and helpful users instead of ricer idiots bitching about systemd all day

>b-but if my distro isn't breaking every day, I won't learn troubleshooting!

>why use broken archshit other broken and buggy meme distros and use solus?
I need java 9 and 10

And this is relevant because?

my lab provide dailies .deb

>restart pc
>goes to a screen with a blinking underscore
>have to shut the pc down to bypass this

>Java
>.deb
The fuck?

I work on the jvm at my uni and we have a full automated testing suite and we provide .deb to students to test shit.
Everything is debian-based here.

KEEEEEVIN STOP SHILLING SOLUS

Why the fuck does Cred Forums hate on Solus so much? I don't get it. It actually tries to solve a lot of issues that plagues desktop linux for most casual users and is actually making progress on it.

>inb4 muh special secret club

Means normies can adopt Linux, which is what they say they want, but secretly don't want them to, so Linux will stay their very own "special secret club".

fuck that shit I just want nvidia gpu's to work ootb after installing proprietary drivers with no screen tearing or boot issues, it's the only thing keeping me from switching

>kevinnet
GET OUT

You're in luck I have a pascal chip and Solus is the only distro that works well on. All you have to do is update the distro after installing and then select the proprietary drivers and you're good to go.

Kevin, stop being a cunt m8. No need for it, m8.

Because it's actually good.

Same reason so many people on Cred Forums frown upon Ubuntu or Linux mint.

systemctl disable kevennet.service --now

How's screen tearing and shit? Do you use budgie or some other DE?

Not him, I use Solus on my laptop and haven't noticed any screen tearing, but then again my eyes are kinda shit.

I recommend just trying it out on a live USB or VM, then making the decision for yourself

Plus the logo and name aren't complete ass. Solus doesn't look or sound like something you should be ashamed of.

FUCKING KEVIN LEAVE REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I don't understand this

No screen tearing in most apps like video players and stuff. The only thing I have tearing in is Waterfox. I run gnome.

Cred Forums itself is a counterculture website, and so Cred Forums also has a counterculture streak. Pair that with the fact that this board, in particular, appeals to basement-dwellers who have far too much spare time on their hands and so to give their lives meaning, they spend time learning these super niche OS and because they've spent so much time with them, they get emotionally attached and then feel that their identity is being challenged any time something that appears to be better comes along.

I mean, there was a guy in another thread earlier trying to convince people that building an mITX system and getting a portable 16" monitor is a better option than a gaming laptop because it would perform better. These people have the worst tunnel vision.

Awesome thanks, even though I like what gnome was probably a couple months ago, the direction it's heading is awful so I don't think I'll ever use it again. Solus KDE and Budgie 4 seem very interesting, need dem global menus.
I mean gaming laptops are almost as autistic as carrying around a portable PC

Not really, gaming laptops are significantly more portable and still get usable battery life for regular use.

I think that most people who buy gaming laptops would be better served by a gaming desktop and cheaper laptop, but there are definitely people out that that like to play games and do enough travelling for that to make sense, and in that case suggesting they haul around an ITX system with a monitor is kind of retarded.

Pretty much this, any game worth playing on a laptop can be run on an HD 4000 or higher. It makes more sense to have a normal nonautistic laptop and a gaming desktop

Tbh, I'm waiting for either Budgie to switch to Qt or an official KDE spin. Whichever happens first, then it's bye Arch for me.

Pretty much this.

Although I still think most laptops should be fine with an APU, or an mx150 at most.

Gaming laptops are ideal for people who's lifestyle or work has them moving around a lot though.

This. There are few people here who are interesting and knowledgeable about technology. 90% are fucking Cred Forumsirgin consumers and autistic retards who think they are smart just because they can follow arch or gentoo guide to install a fucking os.
Simpletons discussing about menial shit like which DE is the best (that's totally subjective but they don't get it), threads about fucking desktop screenshots, dumb consumer fanboys LARPing which GPU is better, we even had a moron claiming you are idiot if your keyboard is QWERTY and his is not so like... He's somehow better.
Bunch of fucking proto hipsters, using niche shit just because. They are not mainstream bro. They are different and unique snowflakes.

This. Anything gtk should die already.

Why not provide snaps/flatpaks so it could be used by everyone?

Sadly accurate post.

>Thread about networking: 10 replies, most of which will be clueless consumers who once port-forwarded a service
>GPU Thread: 265 replies, people defending brands like it's their identity, all around cancer

I'm waiting for budgie-qt or an official kde version and the new package manager. The current one can't even remove unneeded dependencies.
Ikey seems like a cool guy from what I've heard in late night linux desu.

Tried it around two months ago, it looks and works pretty good but I had problems with setting up a dev environment, gcc was missing out of the box or something like that. Probably a nice distro for normal use.
Why the need to insult other systems?

>t. brainlet who failed to install gentoo and arch, let alone configure use and maintain them as daily driver.

Can I just get an explanation on who the fuck is Kevin? I can't find literally anything with search engines

Cred Forums faggot who used to shill for Solus, then Mac, then Windows. I'd recommend filtering him.

As soon as they get rid of systemd

oh i thought it was the developer or something. i've been on Cred Forums for 4 years and never seen any Kevin

lurk more

I believe it's !JORDAN.riU

Which company is paying for Solus development?

It's funded via Patreon. Completely independent.

>Solus
>not Ubuntu Budgie
Enjoy missing out on closed source programs that exclusively use .deb installers.

Ubuntu Budgie doesn't even run on VMWare properly. It belongs to the

>$3000 a month
So they can barely hire one developer. How do they expect to compete with Fedora and Ubuntu?

>VMWare
>not VirtualBox
found your problem

They're a team of three, I think. Plus community contributions, of course.

They've made significant progress over the last two years and I think the dev team is putting Fedora and Ubuntu to shame in considering their position.

>How do they expect to compete with Fedora and Ubuntu?
They don't.
They fix whatever they want/need to provide a good desktop experience for them in the first place.
Redhat and Canonical don't give a shit about desktop users so shit like optimus, hardware detection, steam are still broken years after the initial release so they go and fix simple shit other retards around the world don't want to do.
Ikey worked for clear linux which is currently the most cutting-edge distro you can find and he clearly knows what he is doing.

>small package repository and no user repository because "muh kurashion"
Solus is not a good fit for technical users looking to get shit done. It's yet another attempt to cater to normalfags.

>"why aren't more people using Linux omg"
>posts this

This

linux mint isn’t good though. not only are you dealing with a distribution that is based off a distribution that is based off a distribution, but security updates are generally not applied because it might “break something”. I don’t think users of mint even get the meltdown and spectre patches because they’re marked as too dangerous by the incompetent mint devs.

OP asked why *we* are not using it. I did install Solus on a family member's laptop since he just wanted to use it for Facebook and movies. Because he is a normalfag. It's not a bad choice for that shit but honestly, most normie distros are just as good for that.
I tried it myself on my personal laptop to see how much of an issue the laughable package repository would be. It was a huge one. Hence the reply.
If your feefees got hurt by the wording feel free to suck start a shotgun to relieve any mental pressure.

>wannabe elementary os os
kek yourself already

>running your main OS in a VM
Why?

I'm using Linux for around 15 years, and I tried almost everything. I had Arch and Gentoo, and again following the guide and reading a little on Google doesn't make you smart. You can maybe sell that story to your mom but not to someone who earns his paycheck with linux.
Arch and Gentoo are not for smart people, they are for people with enough time on their hands.