Why is it so based?

Why is it so based?

It's not. C is a shit language, learn lisp.

stfu

It's a decent launching point for someone familiar with the concepts of programming to actually go ahead and program.

it has minimal amount of 'fluff'
it gets straight to the point, although many other programming books are like that.

Extremely well documented, low level system calls very well exposed. Direct memory allocation and access, allows for some badass optimizations

Is it though?

I'm just learning C and I'm reading bits and pieces from a couple different books, and K&R seems a bit outdated. I'm only up to chapter 4, but I keep encountering things that suggest standard practice has changed a reasonable amount since it was published.

C and C++ code written correctly is incredibly fast and efficient.

Why is it so based?

p sure the thread's about the lang not the book

Because it is basically like C, but with some extra features to make it really good at concurrency.

It's good for learning lower level concepts and doing system programming. It is notoriously cantankerous at text handling. The language also has well known security issues.

That said sorCerers can do some batshit insane stuff with pointer magic and abusing the low level attributes of binaries and other executable code.

>really good at concurency
>doesn't even have nonblocking io

Just spawn a fucking goroutine, or do you need you hand held all the time?

she meant scheme. SICP 4 da win

strings are for webcucks

I'm the only one here, who prefer watch Youtube tuts ( no indians) instead of reading books?

>Garbage collected
Collect yourself.

Brainlet who only knows how to program in Python here.

I'm interested in learning C, but I'm curious: why is it that C++ often gets criticized for being a horrible abomination but which gets the work done, while C is lauded as much more elegant?

The only C I've seen was from forking st from suckless and making some changes to it and I thought it was nice. How does C++ differ?

C++ is basically C with shit added to it such as OOP, hence the "++". It's great actually. C is just an abstraction in essence, it's basically the real
thing, you're working with assembly at a high more intuitive level. How you work with data purely with functions is how exactly how you work with
stack frames in assembly, it's a procedural based. C++ is OOP so you can create a far more abstract and to some programmers, far more
structured code. You have to learn your paradigms to understand what I'm saying.

But really people love C because it's so clean and pure because you're working with real virtual memory of a program. Unlike Python or LISP which are
behind VMs(I'm no way trashing them) all of the responsibility is up to the coder, if he fucks up, he actually fucks up which will make you far more competent
and aware of what's happening. If you love the concept of OOP in python, then C++ is great; it's just that some people really hate OOP. But as a high-level
programmer such as yourself, learn assembly before diving into C or C++, so you're actually aware.

>some people really hate OOP
Why?

Objectively there's no reason to hate it. People are weird, don't forget that. Some find it unnecessarily complex perhaps. OOP is nothing but an idea to help get the job done. Some people
just love simplicity and minimalism which is why C is favored. Other than that, maybe its how OOP is implemented in some languages. You can do OOP in C, which is unnecessary, maybe
people hate how C++'s OOP features are implemented.

Garbage collection makes CSP much better, which is why go exceeds at it.

Because it is shit, but everywhere.
Type-Hierarchies don't solve any real problems particularly well except for toy-problems constructed to make CS101 Students believe that it's a good fit for everything.

Video tuts are wasting your time but if you cannot stand books/docs then they're better than nothing.

Yes.

the chili c++ prog series is decent, sadly its limited to windows.

I don't know of other good prog educator that doesn't have a shitty accent.

it's kinda shit, but it's also the least shit in its domain