Why does linux still suck so so so much?

How do we fix it?
Will it ever get better?

Other urls found in this thread:

itvision
bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=231540
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

itvision DOT altervista.org SLASH why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html

do distro developers even look at this?

Once Wayland is mature it might actually get more share in the desktop market. (But probably not)

Post the url like a normal person faggot

why board doesn't like link?

99 bottles of beer, you take one down, you pass it around, 98 bottles of beer

it wont let me
doesn't like shortened url either

it's a good link though, probably thinks it's altavista the ancient search engine

it's a banned url, shit for brains

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Never. MS and Apple dont want to go bankrupt. Linux DEs will always suck, their main devs are bribed.

Its too complicated to use. Just buy m$ licenses

but thats the thing
microsoft and apple are turning into shit rapidly
and linux distros are still all over the place and have not tackled major issues

It won't. Kill yourself back to winkeks.

SolusOS

People were saying same thing when Win ME came out, so MS is known for manipulating consumers.

Linux doesn't suck so there's nothing to fix. It's already better than Windows, which is a buggy mess compared to Linux. Of course it's still constantly getting better but I'm guessing your problem was never the system being unstable. I'm guessing Call of Doody didn't run smoothly which wasn't even made for Linux in the first place.

at least when Win ME came out, bill gates and steve ballmer were in charge of the company

now it's some random pajeet who is more concerned about data mining everything you do, installing shit you never asked for and doesn't care if you're in the middle of work when it wants to restart without warning
to hell with them

apple is lost as well without steve jobs

linux just needs to fix a bunch of stuff and nobody will ever look back

It's highly unlikely. I like to compare it to that old saying of "A million monkeys typing on a million typewriters, eventually one of them is going to type out Shakespeare." Except in this case, you have a million neckbeards working on a million different projects/distros, all of them aiming to do the same things in microscopically different ways. Unless you get rid of the massive fragmentation and put all of the development resources into producing one cohesive OS to put forth and say "This is Linux," you'll never get any mainstream traction. This One Linux to Rule Them All also has to be simple and easy to use. I don't care how much you like your terminal, grandma's not going to learn that shit to look at pictures of her grandkids. Finally, and this is the one that is going to produce the most friction, the developers need to stop injecting their personal politics into the OS. Very few people outside of the Linux community actually care about free software. They just want something that works and is stable. They're not going to look at or modify the source code even if they have the ability to, so not being able to does not bother them in the slightest.

TL;DR: All the things that make Linux different from Windows or OSX are all of the things keeping it from gaining mainstream acceptance.

This. Doing anything in Windows is like wading through treacle.

it felt like more progress was being made on linux and open source projects a few years ago

since then valve has stopped doing steamos, mozilla has gone sjw, firefox killed their extensions, mir cancelled, unityDE halted, ubuntuphone cancelled, you can't even sync music with android

the penguin is dying

Why would they? It's biased trash.

>mozilla and canonical heavily affect linux development even if they have no upstream patches outside their projects
MIR also still alive.

>there's nothing to fix
While Windows 10 is a burning pile of shit compared to linux, it's still pretty wild statement.

>AND OPEN SOURCE PROJECTS

>what did he mean by this?

dont forget performance seems to get worse with every release and things stop working for no reason

The only way for it not to suck is for a company to make a closed source botnet based on Linux which is easy for normies to use.

Oh wait Chrome OS

>linux just needs to fix a bunch of stuff and nobody will ever look back
Even if this "stuff" does get fixed and Linux becomes an absolute perfection, it won't happen. Linux needs to be sold on most computers like windows is, and perhaps getting priced cheaper. The only way to get the market share is to actually get into the market. The large majority of Linux users installed the OS themselves, this is something an average person doesn't want to do and doesn't know how to. The same average person doesn't give a shit what OS they use, they'll just use whatever came pre-installed. This is why Windows is dominating the desktop market, because cheap computers are sold with it. Sadly even the companies that sell computers with a choice between Windows and Linux don't price Linux lower and still include the windows license in the price (except maybe Dell). Until this changes Linux will remain at sub 5% market share. Google tried to push their ChromeOS (gentoo linux) to the market, but failed because the devices were shit and overpriced, and they're thinking of abandoning it for Fuchsia OS.

open source OS benefits from open source projects

Based

As long as GNOME is the face of linux, linux is dead to the masses. The majority of the world is not going to flock to a featureless tablet OS and leave Windows behind.

windows dominated the desktop because it was actually good for the most part until win8

if there was an alternative, they would switch, and they wont switch until those things get fixed

macos isn't unbearable for mac fanboys to use yet, but I don't see it innovating, all their changes for ios seem worse with each version

>Memeland
Nah it won't ever fully replace X fully, most people will still run Xwayland.

>windows dominated the desktop because it was actually good
No, it dominated the desktop because it bought itself into the desktop market, then grew more popular and used vendor lock-in tactics to stay in the market.
>they would switch
No, almost nobody would. The fact that you're even browsing Cred Forums means that you just might have some clue about technology or have at least a slight interest in it. But you have to realize that the majority of people aren't interested in technology and wouldn't even know that alternative operating systems exist (except maybe MacOS, and that's only if it's popular in your area), let alone how to install them. Even if they know about Linux most of them think it's a singular operating system which looks like DOS (because of the horror stories about the Linux terminal). You'd need a lot of advertising to get people interested in Linux.

why did people switch from myspace to facebook?
was there vendor lock in? did facebook bribe users?
no, they chose to sign up for facebook

and they would choose to install linux if it were a decent alternative

the same way nobody stuck with symbianOS and nokia for smartphones

but nobody will recommend linux to normies until it becomes a stable alternative
nobody will use it until it's stable

>myspace and facebook
you can't seriously compare websites to operating systems. the difference is that you can always visit any website, but to install an OS you need to "know what you're doing". to normies it's almost as difficult as assembling your own PC.

>nobody will use it because it's not stable
If it weren't stable it wouldn't be used in supercomputers, servers and other critical applications.

People use Windows because the API that 3rd party shit uses. This is why they had to enforce the updates in every dirty way, because most of its users don't give a shit about Windows itself.

No drivers, games as windows. Bad shortcut stuff. But full control not like in windows. But also less apps... No photoshop ..

>no drivers
Stop with this meme

Yikes. If you're this retarded you mid as well stay with windows

most people buy PCs from shops and they'd be glad to recommend linux if it were stable and they didn't get 100x more headaches from troubleshooting linux problems

when I say stable, I mean being guaranteed itll run on the avg person's hardware configuration

Excuses are like assholes. I don't give a shit what people run on their acers as they can't even maintain and keep stable windows itself despite all the spoonfed and automatization.

But it does run on average hardware. Even better than windows out of the box.

Works on my machine, btw i use arch.

You literally retarded, linux supports every piece of hardware I've tried to use and it runs 10 times better on weak hardware. Try running windows 10 on a celeron processor and HDD then try linux on it you moron.

Linux will be used more if WINE is made perfect or people start making Linux programs a lot more

when it runs, it runs, but not everything is supported
my laptop speaker audio still doesn't work, among other things and there's no support

go try and install any linux on a microsoft surface and see how easy it is you inbred

It's already great.

The thing to realize is that plebs basically belong on Android.

Desktop Windows or Linux isn't really a sane choice for people who just don't want to understand computers for shit, but only launch their two pieces of software.

fix what? other than gjs, gnome3 with wayland works fine.

>my laptop speaker doesn't work
hardware support is up to the manufacturer to provide. So don't buy bad brands.

Linux for the server is the absolute best, hands-down. Linux for the Desktop has some things that could be improved.

>Why does linux still suck so so so much?
It doesn't. Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean it's bad.

that rules out 50% of regular users ever using it since it would be a downgrade if not everything works

see link in 2nd post, it lists the problems with the ENTIRE linux ecosystem

>just cause quality keeps dropping doesn't mean its bad

>buy (((Microsoft))) software
>install Linux on it
How retarded can you be? Why even buy that garbage?

>rules out 50% of regular users
Not everyone uses meme hardware. I haven't had anything that doesn't work out of the box. The only thing you have to install is nVidia drivers if you're using an nVidia GPU and you'd have to do the same on Windows. AMD drivers are integrated into the Linux kernel already.
Majority or WiFi chips work, for those which don't Linux can install windows wireless drivers. Again, windows isn't guaranteed to support WiFi, Bluetooth or even Ethernet out of the box. Linux supports Ethernet and Bluetooth.
USB devices will work.
That's pretty much over 70% of the users covered.

link isn't functional bro.

show me one 2 in 1 tablet with pen that you can install linux on

replace DOT and SLASH obviously
dunno why Cred Forums doesn't like the link

when's the last time you bought a laptop and the touchpad didn't work?
bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=231540

year of the linux desktop is never coming

Laptops aren't desktops.

Depends on what you mean by 'better'. Wider usage = more user friendly and better non-free support, but both of those things are against the original design principles.

Linux only sucks as much as its user. It doesn't hold your hand and make you dismiss a thousand small instructions because it assumes you'll ask for help if you need it. If you're too dumb to find the help section, add -h or --help, use the man pages, or browse the web, you should be using Apple shit. Now go lurk so these threads stop appearing.

>touch pads don't work
Touch pads work flawlessly under Linux. I haven't seen a laptop where they don't work. Also
>Arch problems
Nobody cares

It's a pretty successful kernel. Nothing wrong with it, except being still non-free.
I recommend GNU Linux-libre, a fork of Linux without proprietary blobs.

Weyland will be the shot that kills Linux.

>touchpads
>not trackpoints
literally and figuratively kill you're self

Why does that penguin have underboob shadows, jesus.

It's GNU/Linux. Also it really doesn't suck that much, sure there are a few rough edges but it's much better than Windows or OS X. If you want to fix a problem with GNU/Linux then send a patch dude.

GUI for everything, having to do cli feels so 1990s on pure desktop/laptop usage.
It's understandable for server use where you script a lot, not so much otherwise.
openSUSE has yast, which is so-so.

lol, ask a normie what kind of os do they run on laptop/phone and they have no idea. Can't solve pebkac with tech, they use whatever is served up to them. They literally pay just so they don't have to deal with freedom of choice. Oh boy do big tech like to indoctrinate customers, they have just the right overpriced bloated shit that was hyped on some sponsored content site. Spending big money on shit is fulfilling, get over it.

OpenBSD is our future

The community is full of assholes

Distributions change their desktop environment every week and always proclaim it's best thing ever.

Meanwhile, normal people spend 4 hours trying to install a graphics card driver.

graphics card driver problems are entirely nvidia's fault. shill harder micoshill

With the laptop I'm using right now the trackpad stopped working for no reason on windows 10. It also ran slow as shit because windows is a bloated slow piece of trash on any mildly weak hardware. When I replaced it with debian the trackpad and everything else just werked.

>Run all programs by double clicking on them from the UI.

This kills the year of the Linux Desktop

Appimage, flatpak.

>normal people spend 4 hours trying to install a graphics card driver.
AMD drivers are integrated into the linux kernel, on windows you need to manually download them.
nVidia drivers have nVidia's full support and are installable either through the website or through the driver updater. So it's the same as windows.

>Distributions change their desktop environment every week and always proclaim it's best thing ever.
You have no idea what you're talking about.

Is this lsqt? I installed debian and touchpad clicks don't work. I was able to connect to dsl after googling a lot and I can't connect to wifi because wpasupplicant daemon just.. stops.
I can't get any package because I installed without any mirror and even after adding a mirror to sources.list I had to apt-get update and it started downloading lots of trash like 700 bytes per second and I am trying to install wic but it needs about 50 packages. What do?

I read this as open source OS benefits from open source pajeets

with my trackpad you cant click, you have to use the buttons because of some driver issue. i actually prefer it like this but people always think its broken when they use my laptop. i've been using linux on my laptops for like 5 years now and each one has had numerous small issues that would take more than half an hour to fix. its really not a big deal for me because i don't care but a normal person is not going to use linux for these exact reasons.

If Linux were distributed on systems by default then such issues wouldn't occur. See: Dell, System76, Alpha, KDE Slimbook.