What is microsoft's endgame with the "ms <3 open sores" bullshit?

What is microsoft's endgame with the "ms

Other urls found in this thread:

yro.slashdot.org/story/18/02/16/0027228/electronics-recycling-innovator-faces-prison-for-extending-computers-lives
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Extend
Embrace
Extinguish

Open sores is hip, user. Microsoft is trying to charm computing hipsters.

/thread

Extend the reach of their telemetry to other operating systems (not just windows 10)
Embrace the community by letting them write code and fixing bugs in their software for free
Extinguish the use of free software operating systems, unless they're running on VMs on top of windows

resurrecting Xenix and leveraging existing UNIX software stack to fight Linux

making money

Remove need to spend capital on a failing OS and sell Office365 subscriptions instead.

Nah, they don't care about Windows anymore.
The last 'Hurrah' for Windows was Windows Phone - which failed.

Office is the moneymaker and Office now runs on everything.

well they need to make Office work on *nix systems first.

I work for Microsoft and I write software that's technically open source (nobody but us uses it). My personal perception of this is:

There's only one real endgame for a publicly traded company, and that's to increase profit.

Open source can do a lot of things to increase Microsoft's profit:

Increase usage and adoption of Azure (probably goal #1)
Reduce development costs by accepting contributions from (organizational) customers.
Similarly, reduce support costs because some devs will fix bugs for themselves and contribute those upstream.
Increase trust in Microsoft (people know there's no spyware in open source software they can compile themselves).
Reduce development costs from 'reinventing the wheel' in-house in markets we're not well positioned to compete in.
Make recruitment easier. A lot of devs like open source software.

fpbp

All of Microsoft's actions are designed to make money for the shareholders.

What do you think Office365 is...
They abstracted all the responsibility of the underlying software to other companies - who will spend big maintaining their OSes and browsers.

would be easier to send patches to LO to improve support for their semi-proprietary shitty formats

Microsoft hasn't changed a bit.
yro.slashdot.org/story/18/02/16/0027228/electronics-recycling-innovator-faces-prison-for-extending-computers-lives

>guy burns freely available "rescue DVDs" for old pre-built PCs like Dell and HP, so they can be made useful again
>the windows license comes with the PC
>he's not violating copyright
>Microsoft sues him into the ground for dubious trademark claims
>"We want his head on a platter"

That's literally the same for every other public company.

It already works on macOS.

>discs are literally printed with "do not copy or redistribute"
>copies and redistributes with the intent to make money
>expect to not get sued
Are you retarded?

They're trying to be hip and cool

I am just waiting for Windows getting open source. The open anuses in the Linux community on that day will be glorious. Linux will be deprecated.

And I use linux myself.

Holy fuck are you stupid.

>t. retard

It only says not to make illegal copies, so just make legal copies and you're good

He made legal copies.
The only illegal part was the disc label.
If he wrote "Ernie's Backup Disc" on it, he could have made 10000000 copies, no problem.

if you were a carmaker, wouldn't you like free wheels?

Every user from this board should search these 3 words immediately.

>it is illegal to arrange atoms in an already existing pattern unless you are a specific person or entity

> be MS
> lackluster finances
> Windows market share diminishing
> stock price nearly stagnant
> need diversity hires after CEO gets character assassinated for disrespecting the wimminz
> cannot afford good talent
> "open source! learn all you can!!"
> gullible pool of unpaid coders materializes
> mfw

That, and maybe the server/web market being as open as it is today.

Everyone wants to hate Microsoft for being the big guy but I'll take them over ChromeOS/Googl or Apple anyday. Atleast on a microsoft OS I can run programs that were not approved or developed by microsoft

Windows everywhere. Microsoft products everywhere.
Then, they'll have control of computers everywhere.