/tpg/ ThinkPad General xsauc edition

If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
E and L Series for plebs
A series is now T/X approved for economy

>>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Recommended freedom models:
>>T60, X60; X200, T400/500

Recommended modern models:
" X230, 2570p
" E6330, E6430s, ThinkPad 13
" E6440, T430s, 8470w
" W541, Zbook G3, M4800
" P71, 8770W, M6800, W701ds

Why ThinkPad?
>>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>>Great durability: recommended models has a chassis that uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>>Utilitarian design: 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>>TrackPoint the original and best Pointing stick, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>>Hardware Maintenance Manuals (HMM's) and Windows drivers for legacy devices:
download.lenovo.com/eol
>>Used laptop guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com
>>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>>ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/
>>EPP discount for new ThinkPads:
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW
>>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/87PvZ7V
ebay.ca/itm/112174413211
amazon.ca/Enpower-0A36302-Notebook-ThinkPad-T530/dp/B0744JDYPH/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1519012324&sr=8-3&keywords=thinkpad t530 battery
currys.ie/Product/corsair-ddr3-1600-mhz-pc-ram-8-gb/335994/400.5.0
dankpads.com/current-thinkpads/
orangecounty.craigslist.org/sys/d/lenovo-thinkpad-x61s-laptop/6476411917.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Unofficial /tpg/ discord.
discord.gg/87PvZ7V

General Question:
I'm fairly normie in my computing needs as a professional student so I apologize for being a fucking retard. I've had my T420 running Windows 7 for a couple years now. I can't see myself going back to buying shitty fucking laptops from Dell or Acer anymore and I am in love with the styling and functionality of the modern models from around 2011.

My question is: how long will I be able to keep this up? When will T420's and the like become too obsolete, or when will Windows 7 become defunct?

Officially Windows 7 is ending support in 2020, but there might be some tweaks done to where it is supported later, like how M$ did with XP POS Ready.

Windows 10 generally works OK for Sandy and Ivy Bridge machines, however since W10 is supposedly going to be the last Windows OS, who knows if there will be an update where they drop support for older CPUs and GPU systems.

It just depends on software vendors if they want to support an old system or not, thats when I believe computers will be deemed obsolete. Who knows how long sandy bridge machines will last, unless AMD or Intel introduce a new sort of processor, I doubt SD will die within 10 years.

If I need windows by then I'll just use wine or hope that react os has made it to windows 7 magically

>discord

what is a good thinkpad for 100-150 that is not total low in power?

t420s with a few simple mods

T430

(You)

not him but it makes me so fucking mad when I see the obnoxious roblox tier memes upon launching the application. I hate discord but have to use it.

Bought a non functional T420 for cheap so I can change its parts and resell it but I stumbled upon this screw. Tried the usual rubber band method but it's too tight.

Is it ok if I force it? How strong is the frame?

>ReactOS
Thats some wishfull thinking there.

it would be magic wouldn't it

Brah, zoom out. If anything its holding the keyboard bezel or keyboard
Forcing it out will strip small grommet or whatever its using, So it should be ok, I don't know if it secures a part of the chassis, because its so zoomed in.

They're doing a lot of things right regarding what a chat program should be but discord would be significantly improved if they dropped the whole XDD GAYMUR MEMES LUL schtick.

It's actually one of the two bottom screws.

Should I buy an X250 for $450? It's IPS and has an SSD and 8Gb of RAM

Is this battery legit?
ebay.ca/itm/112174413211

>Brand: Unbranded
Doubt it

should i just not give a fuck and go with a third party battery then? Im not paying 150$ for a genuine battery
amazon.ca/Enpower-0A36302-Notebook-ThinkPad-T530/dp/B0744JDYPH/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1519012324&sr=8-3&keywords=thinkpad t530 battery

What is the general consensus about the newest thinkpad line, the current year models you can buy on lenovo's site? Are they as good as the old ones?

I'm only regurgitating what other people have said about them
>no removable processors
>thin so probably bad cooling -> throttling
>no removable batteries
I think those are the dealbreakers

You're cool but fuck your discord

Ok thats a lot better, thanks. For the T420? I am thinking it is the palmrest, I don't think its the chassis... best of luck, i would think it would break off internally, but there is a chance it goes to the exterior you see and might not set correctly when putting it back together.

Probs can work... just see what the warranty is.

Define old ones

I like them, then again I like a lot of thinkpads.

You forgot to link to the previous thread ()

>New t series is $2000
>still uses intel
thinkpads are dead rip laptops

I have a thinkpad t450. I want to upgrade the RAM.
Do I need specific ram or will any RAM with the right SODIMM work? I was planning on this:
currys.ie/Product/corsair-ddr3-1600-mhz-pc-ram-8-gb/335994/400.5.0

Since that's the only one I could find that's near me

It would be the best day of my life. Fuck I would donate a shit ton of money if ReactOS could start running every thing.

I haven't donated yet because
>college
but I definitely support their efforts

Where do you lads buy your thinkpads? Ebay?

yep

Is getting 1600x900 on a t430 worth it? The price seems to up from 160-180 to 330 for roughly the same upgrades

Just get the 900p LCD cable and the Alienware Panel.

where did you get the rare trackpoint my dude?
this one I've only ever found the one that unicomp sells but it's red and not gray.

Got a new T440s, pretty slick compared to the old toughbook I had.
Our IT guy is a fool and overspending like crazy.

My ThinkPad charger broke and it'll take two weeks for a new one to arrive. Thankfully I managed to fully charge my X230 9-cell before it broke. Unfortunately, I have to use my X230 sparingly because two weeks is still too long for 9-cell.

Wat do Cred Forums? How will I'll be able to shitpost now? Hell, the time it took typing this post I already lost 1%

Don't you have a phone or a desktop?

>not recommending the *40 series where you can be hands on in upgrading trackpad to and screen
>not recommending x220/t420
but why...?

I got it from a fellow giving away a few 770's, gave some extra loot, not sure if they were unofficial or not, but I think it was made during the 2000 era.

Why isn't the W500 a recommended freedom model?
It's the most powerful libreboot capable thinkpad.
Also the x60t, x200t, x200s, and t400s are also good libreboot compatible thinkpads that one might be inclined to use over the ones suggested in the OP.

I'm broke and poor af, so no desktop. Why else would I have a ThinkPad? And I do have a phone, but come one, phoneposting? I couldn't possibly fall to such a level.

Please get a trip so I can filter such a pathetic human being.

>tripfagging

t480 reviews when

You're quite the attention whore, aren't you.

fingerprint rly dosnt work on x220 w10?

idk my bff jill?

There was no /tpg/ thread, so I decided to make one and do some edits on the recommended models

Fucked up the green text tho.

I don't know if the ATI gpu would be an issue for freedom.

Not all w500 have ati, those without can run libreboot.

Good price for an X61s? I'm eyeing one for $60 right now.

T500 might not have ATI, but what I was told, W500 was all FireGL standard.

Buy my X61 thats missing the Ctrl keys :)

I used to have a W700. It was a fucking beast. W70x is really the ultimate Chad laptop. You can literally go through a brick wall with it, use it as a shield against bullets, crack the head of your enemies, and the laptop will be still good to use afterwards. Not even a dent.

My only dislikes about the W700ds I had was that there was some keyboard flex, though I could of fixed it.

Oh and the second display wasn't great at angles.

>Recommended ThinkPad 13
Is this true? Even for the newest generation?
I need and want a new laptop, not used, but most new ThinkPads are hella expensive.

Just buy a new $150 laptop from best buy
what could go wrong?

I did a more thorough write up of the current gen

>dankpads.com/current-thinkpads/

Maybe buy a refurb and save for 30%?

Checked plenty cheap, new ones out in stores and they were all trash and didn't meet my requirements (256gb ssd, 8bg ram, under 1.5kg, good screen, good CPU)
My budget is not that small, I can go up to about 800€, but the x70/x80 ones are all 1000+.
I saw some interesting Raven Ridge machine but don't remember what line it was.

t470 are going for like $700 now with discounts because of the new line coming out

Not sure about your country's availability, but I feel that you could easily get that if you wanted to buy used.

I'm looking into getting a t400 for travel and lounging purposes. I plan on programming, web browsing, running a VM for the MS Office suite, and playing doom via GZDoom. Can anyone with a t400 compile GZDoom and run some benchmarks for me? I'd really appreciate it.

I live in Germany, haven't seen any cheap new ones. Even the ones with student discount are still 900€+.
Used ones are also expensive, saw X230 for like 300€

T430 or x230 under 200?

X230 if you need that portability and the bottom slice battery.

T430 can get 900p and can upgrade to quadcore
I personally have a T430s with the FHD mod kit, so I might be a bit biased.
X230... i don't care for the HD only display, in addition, I have a Pixelbook for sub 13" laptop.
>or just do the 2570p meme

Well the x230 is 150 and the t430 is 200 the only difference between the 2 is the t430 having 8 gb compare to the x230 4.
I'll would mainly use it during the week while I'm not at home for cs class.
Thing is I was wondering if the 50 buck was worth for getting the x230 over the t430.

Just got a x220t. Anyone messed around with the buttons and remapping them?

Is 145€ a good price for a T430? European stuff (even the used one) tend to be overpriced, but I think this one should be a OKish deal (considering euro-standards).

For instance t400 selling at 130€, t430 290€... Buying from the USA might be a good deal (like (50-70% off) since the dollar is so low and products much cheaper thanks to freedom but still no one want to deal with burgers... Plus they use the silly burger-plug.

With windows 7, probably another 3-4 years until it becomes too slow. With a Linux distro and sdd, it should last until replacement parts become unavailable, so at least 6+ years, if you look after it well.

145€ doesn't seem too bad, but it really depends on the processor, RAM, etc

If you do decide to buy from the US, you need to remember that you'll have import duties to pay. In the UK we have to pay a HMRC customs fee, a Parcelforce handling fee, and any VAT they deem necessary
Also, the plug is easy and cheap to replace. It will be something like pic related on the end that connects to the PSU. You could get one that's two metres for only a few euros

I didn't know that kind of adapter existed, noice.
As for the taxes and fee, well, I know amazon.com charge some extra stuff and they use their own EUR/USD conversion rate but so far buying from the US was always a NET gain for me. I bought two HD there last year and saved ~150€ compared to amazon.co.uk, .fr or .de

I think MacBooks are better

that's your opinion and I'm glad you have one

Any opinion on the ThinkPad 13 Line?
Can get a 2017 one with 512Gb SSD and no OS for 900, grab or pass?

I think you're gay.

N e one know what ThinkPad X200 screen to drop in? Been looking everywhere for some decent info and can't get shit...

That feel when the price double in the last minute on ebay. Why jews prevent me from buying good Thinkpod for pennies...

support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/migr-71896
There is apparently a WXGA+ screen for the x200
I'd do that. The aftermarket support for 1080p+ doesn't seem to exist for the x200

One way or another, they seem grossly overpriced and I'm having a hard time trying to find out where the justification for it is. Certainly not in specs. Perhaps in build quality? Yet they appear more fragile than their older counterparts.

>Define old
Something just up to the t420 or thereabouts? The turning point would somewhere where they lost socketed cpus and the rugged/industrial/bulky feel of older parts. Lets face it. The newest models pretty much look like a standard laptop if you do not look closely at the keyboard layout.
So to me they lost something, but I'm not an expert in these, so I'm asking to anyone in the know if they justify their price somehow.
It's hard to swallow a $1800 price tag when you can literally buy a higher spec'd machine with discrete gpu for less than a grand.

It's shit

I'm looking for a laptop that can be made a dedicated typewriter for nanimo and shit.
Need a good keyboard, capable of be hooked to wifi and be cheap.
What are your recomendations lads?

Tell me that picture is fake.

Care to explain why?

It looks like the x270 wins in 2 of your 3 categories.

Hell, it has a hot swappable battery.

ur shit
they look decent.

Don't really care for resolution on this machine, just want some colors.

70 euros for x230 without battery, hdd, RAM and charger a good deal? I would probably replace all those anyway and I already have a charger.

Shill me a cheap and comfy memepad with good battery duration now :^)

If its proven to function before purchase, then go for it. Although a good battery will still run you a pretty penny.

just got a T60 yesterday (for free). It doesn't have a hard drive, what do you recommend for it /tpg/?

a hard drive

I found an IBM T60 for 40$, it's a good deal?

If anyone wants a cheap FHD IPS screen for their T440p/T440s/T440, laptopscreen's ebay store has many LTN140HL02 available. I got the price under $30.
Description listed various defects it might have (2-5 dead pixels was the only worrying one), but with more than 10 panels available, they can't all be junk.

If you live near Microcenter, get an Inland Professionals 128gb SSD for $35.
Otherwise a Kingdian S280.

>ChinkDian
Do not listen to this man. Just ask csg the opinion of owners (not shills) and you'll see why this is a bad choice.

I have two SU100+ to act as cheap ssds for shitty laptops. They have a red LED on the pcb inside them, so the connectors have a strange red glow. They are also severely warped into a "smiley" shape so they don't fit in the 2.5" cradles.

Anyone here have an x140E? The E1-2500 looks kinda spooky. Also, any thoughts on their battery life?

That's alright. Is it in good condition/not missing much?

A485

Any catch on this one here?
>ThinkPad 13, new for 899€
>i7-7500U
>8GB DDR4 2133MHz
>no OS, so no extra pay for Windows
>matte 1080p IPS
>512GB SSD

Would like to use it for uni and on the train.

>900 jewros for a a new piece of shit laptop that could easily be had for $100 when compared to a tx30

Why are you retarded?

cool thx dude
that should help

>T420s
Your simple mods won't change shit you faggot

That catch is that it's a squeaky piece of shit

Do Thinkpad warranties cover broken keyboard mechanisms?

The ThinkPad 13 series aren't "real thinkpads". Basically they're the same as any cheap plasticky shit-top made by HP or acer, without the build quality, durability, or support that is associated with thinkpads.

900€ is roughly $1100. For that amount, on Lenovo's own site, you can configure a T470 (which IS a real thinkpad, with decent build quality and not shit support) to have the same processor, (a bigger) full HD screen, and 8GB of ram, albeit with a 256GB PCIe SSD, not 512. I highly recommend that and then getting a laptop hard drive for cheap if you really need more storage on it, which I doubt based on your usage description.

Is E470 ok?

>E-series
no

OP's pasta recommends some E series models.

op is a dumb faggot, and there is no reason to trust his yammering over any other dumb faggot's, including mine. read subjective reviews by people who have used the computers, then objective performance metrics and make your own decisions

>xsauc doesn't use computers

Don't see anything but T, W, X and P series
Are you guys looking at the same shit?

>read subjective reviews by people who have used the computers
That's what I was hoping to get in this thread. But instead I got your salty meme.

>T430s
Saucy no
Don't recommend the s(hit) versions

I still don't see anything but T, W, X or P series thinkpads

Vintage thinkpads (T20, T30, A31) have the best keyboards and are old enough that they will handle word processing in libreoffice, but wont be able to do anything else like games, video playback, or web browsing.

(You)

Who are (you)ing
At least do the @ thing

i'm . the x, t, and p series, in my understanding, are the only ones that are worth buying, but if that idiot wants to look at the E series he should read a review from a human being, and not whatever uses this board to communicate

there are no e-series thinkpads in there?

@(You)

I'm trying to force him into googling shit honestly

Aren't the E6330 and E6440 E series?

@64796135
No you idiot that's done like this

@(Y'all)

Try googling them
They aren't e series thinkpads

you're very noble in your act
but of course you aren't going to contribute you lazy faggot

they're not e series thinkpads, they're another brand

Google is always there for you unlike me
I could tell him those are latitudes but he could also try googling it and learning how model names work with different brands

I see, thanks. For a second I thought you were all retarded basement dwellers.

need a lighter laptop than a w520 for college, hopefully for a similar price to what i can sell my w520 for used. I just need it for productivity, I got a desktop I can use for gaymen.
I was thinking x220, x230, t430, or t440p. Any recommendations?

Found a refurbished W520 with Quadro K2000M, 160GB SSD, 8GB RAM and i7-2760QM for 350€. Buy or nay? I'll have to factor in a keyboard too because it comes from Germany.

I haven't used X-series Thinkpads, but I would pick a T430 over a T440p. 9-cell atteries are much less expensive, touchpad is easier to use, speakers are slightly better, Thinklight, lid latch, dedicated volume and mute buttons.
Only drawback is that the highest resolution panel you can install (without an $80 converter mod) is 1440x900.
I fell for the full HD meme and bought a T440p even though a T430 would have better met my needs.

ok! thanks for the recommendation. I guess a t430 does make more sense than the t440p.
my w520 has an i7-2760qm, 16gb ram, quadro k1000m, 256gb ssd, 1tb hard disk, fingerprint scanner and US keyboard, if you're interested.

I'd rather vouch for the K2000M because it's easier to find better (or worse) processors than GPUs. I thought there'd be more K2000M but actually they're a rarity, which is why I ask of 350€ is a fair offer. Thanks for the offer anyway.

Are Thinkpads assembled in Whitsett, NC higher quality than those made elsewhere?
Would you pay more for a used one with an "assembled in the USA" sticker?

ah, i see.
Well, good luck finding one! it seems like the price is a bit high to me personally given it has a small ssd and only 8gb

I'm not too worried about the SSD: I'll use it for uni in small audio projects and won't replace my main desktop PC. Here in Europe I've seen most second hand offers around 400€. Refurbished ones tend to sit between 250 and 450€ and as high as 550€, on eBay. Obviously all offers have with varying HDD/SSDs or RAM setups, so it's a bit hard to estimate the right price.

You're an idiot m8

Google gave me nothing of interest.

Bought some new USBs today from the store to write ISOs to.

Wrote Void on one of them and tried booting on my x200.

Gave me a blank screen with a _ in the upper left corner.

ISO looks right.

The USBs are USB3, might that have something to do with it? It's an old laptop, after all.

>assembled
>literally just screwing parts together
makes no difference in quality

Gpt?

How did you copy the .iso onto the usb?

what thinkpad do i get if im poor but i want it to run gtav on low

you can upgrade the ram in both units, I think 8GB modules are about $40 to $55.

They are still a lot more easier to work on and durable than consumer counterparts. Generally they are more reliable than consumer units, have a good warranty and dat keyboard.

I've bought some Chimei IPS displays from them. Not as good as a B140HAN01.3, but it was worth a third of a new one... $45

Its essentially an E Series, just make sure u dont buy the ChromeOS one.

They should be able to replace it

>look at minimum requirements for game
>look for laptops that meet those requirements
>be on the market for one for a few weeks, get one when you think you can get a good deal

Easy as pie.

Rufus is the easiest for Windows, then Yumi and Unetbootin.

There's prob some linux command to do that as well... but i don't bother with that stuff.

sudo dd if=iso of=/dev/sdb

It's what I've been doing for years.

Ive seen this doesnt work for older laptops which will only boot the the flash stick is formatted as fat32.

Well then how did I get Xubuntu on it in the first place? I've since lost the USB drive I used though.

Currently typing away on a X230 with a keyboard swap
If you just want productivity this thing is unbeatable
It's smaller and lighter and cuter than the T430
That said if you need a screen that isn't fucking garbage resolution wise
You're gonna have to bleed some cash or get a T430

Cry a lot because anything without dedicated graphics will only get you between 30-20

Proper answer,
W520, W530 (W510 maybe? If it doesn't melt everything near it that is)
T420 or T430 with dedicated graphics
T440p with the quad core

orangecounty.craigslist.org/sys/d/lenovo-thinkpad-x61s-laptop/6476411917.html

Am I retarded or is this price insane?

way overpriced

I was wondering about whether I should choose a T420 or T430? Is there really that big of a performance gap between the two? If there is, I would get a 430 with a 420 keyboard, yet I'm not really comfortable with a half-working keyboard that costs 80 bucks more than just getting a t420. I'm leaning towards the t420 just because of the keyboard though.
Thoughts?

HD4000 is about a 50% performance increase over the HD3000 iGPU in the T420. The keyboard on the T420 is very nice however the T430's keyboard is still very good.

What about cpu? I'm not looking to play any games. I do want the old keyboard though, just cause
>muh chiclets
I guess if the performance is really that much worse though I'll go with the 430

A correct price for a well-kept X61s is like $99 w/ VAT, 2G RAM, and 100G HDD. With docking station and PSU. So yeah, the guy's asking too much.