I tried to cheat the typing classes in grade school and high school and now I can only get about 60 wpm...

I tried to cheat the typing classes in grade school and high school and now I can only get about 60 wpm. Do I really have to learn how to type the right way? It feels like I'm giving myself carpal tunnel just by keeping my hands in the right position.

No 60 WPM is absolutely fine

Realistically you couldn't even think of that much to write that quickly anyway

There is really no need to type faster than that really.

I can speak faster than that, so I could probably think of stuff to say.

Yeah, it's not like it's been a problem in everyday life or at work or anything. But I have friends who type around 90-100 wpm and I sometimes wish I could type faster.

Typing out a very basic sentence without a dickload of capital letters and punctuation eg most sentences, then I can get just under 80wpm with dyspraxia (a coordination disorder)

There are typing classes in america?

I had 80 wpm with a style that I didn't like because I made mistakes often (in short hitting too many keys with just the left hand and mainly three fingers).
I started using a modified version of ASDF JKL; about two weeks ago. Started playing typegun a few minutes a day and went from ~35 WPM to sub 65 now. My speed is very consistent and I make very little mistakes. It's worth it but you have to bear through the re-learning period. Protip - don't focus on speed but on not making mistakes instead.

Also no matter what DO NOT BEND YOUR WRIST. I hold them like pic related

So you're saying learning to type properly is helpful? Also, I'd be interested to hear more about what sort of symptoms you have from dyspraxia.

I don't touch type and my finger positioning varies and I get around 95~110 wpm so I guess it's not really that necessary

I get around 100-110wpm and I've never taken a typing "lesson" - it just got there after about 14 years of heavy computer use since I was 9
I've also never had carpal tunnel or any RSI-related problem in my hands, maybe I adapted to the keyboard from starting so early

60WPM is a perhaps a bit slow, but anything over 80WPM is just circlejerking.

t. 130WPM, and it's a useless skill

I hated typing in computer class and always played minesweeper when the teacher wasn't looking, which was always. Couldn't get above 40 WPM in the final.

When I got my own computer after high school, I naturally adopted homerow and now have 110 WPM just from arguing on Cred Forums for ten years straight. Homerow is comfy AND it helps type faster, I don't see why people want to stick with hunt and peck.

Yeah, I did them as part of "computer class." We just had to spend time on typing programs like pic related.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. At the moment, I hold my hands like the ones in the picture and my keyboard is angled slightly. If I try and hold my hands symmetrical, my wrists bend in a way that I know is unhealthy. I think my problem is that I move my hands around too much and don't use enough fingers. I'll try your suggestion about accuracy over speed.

What I mean is just don't do this

More fingers != faster typer

Just get on typeracer.com

For reals, I went from 50 wpm to 80 and it only takes like 3 days

>More fingers != faster typer
Could you expand on why this is? Anyway, I'll try TypeRacer.

I can't manage more than 20 words on any given typing test thanks to horrendously shit spelling, however I do type fairly fast when spellcheck is allowed. granted most of my errors come in the form of spelling like shit rather then mistyped keys.

going to be honest here, nothing is going to make me a faster typer, if near 20 years of using a computer for 12+ hours a day isn't going to solve it, and a good 8 of those years in everquest where I had to type to talk, shit just isn't for me.

my pinkies don't work at all, I cant move them independently unless i am forcing myself to hold a shift key, that's about it and even then I usually will forgo hitting shift is possible because it forces me to stop completely. that said i am able to touch type finger pecking.

It sounds almost like you're trying to type too fast and its causing errors
Just type at a speed you make no errors and if you do it right that speed should gradually raise itself

120-140 wpm doing two finger pecking here

that is sub 15 words a minute. most of my errors come from not knowing how to spell the fucking words and even when I see them on screen in most typing programs I fuck them up because my mind tells me how I would spell them. basically the main thing wrong with me is I cant spell for shit and there is no fixing that.

Is it impossible to learn correct spellings just through patience at 15wpm? Would running into the wall over and over again at low speed not eventually drill in the correct way?

god was it weird having a thing that fed me a real sentence and not some bullshit that doesn't string together at all.

12 years of getting bitched at and failing english, spelling, science, and history classes because I cant spell for shit and the 2-4 hour long fights my parents would have with me over homework couldn't get met to spell correctly, fucking nothing else will.

wow did it suck playing that after typeracer, shits not fluid at all, only reason i'm below 50 on racer is due to shift and sitting wrong in the beginning making me shift one hand over to far.

I ramped up my speed a while back when I was looking for a transcription gig, and I will say it is pretty nice being able to go that fast, but yeah, going over ~90 isn't particularly necessary for most things, and I rarely get to type enough for it to make much of a difference anyway. Much of my typing happens in the form of swiping on my phone these days, making it pretty irrelevant. Still a good skill building exercise though.

It's very mild but generally I can't play sports (fine to catch things, but suck dick at anything involving feet).

Can drive a manual transmission car fine.

My point mainly was that even I can type fast with good practices

It also affects by ability to focus and therefore manage my assignments for uni, but obviously that has nothing to do with typing

This. I don't understand how it's humanly possible to not get naturally proficient at typing with so much time spent in front of a keyboard. I'm pretty sure my technique is slightly unorthodox, but it simply doesn't matter because of the immense amount of time I've had to master it.