Is it just me or is networking the most boring, banal, tedious, dull and mind-numbing area of IT?

Is it just me or is networking the most boring, banal, tedious, dull and mind-numbing area of IT?

It's not just you. It's where the "mechanics" of IT go; the guys who don't know what they are doing, etc.

They pride themselves on knowing how routing works; when it's one of the easiest god damn things in IT.

I'm studying for my CCNA and CCNA security certs.

Hoping to become a network engineer for a major telco and make 100k

hahahahahahahhahahahahhaahhahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahaha

I hope this is a troll post, 100k lol

i work in a network ops center for a major ISP and i can tell you, they don't make much money. very unrewarding work.

No, tech support is

Just dumb people who "can't find the internet" all day long.

>100k
2005 called they want their wage back

It's ok, he's following the CCNA/Cisco marketing material.

idk man being a sysadmin is comfy

Called my ISP because I was having packetloss. Had WINMTR and Wireshark logs to provide them to show it wasn't on my end.

Told them I was having packetloss and they sad "well here it shows you are getting XX megabytes, the speed you pay for", I said megabits, they said "megabytes", so I gave in on that and said thats not the problem, the problem is quality and stability. They said "I don't know what you mean by packetloss". ISP tech support folks.

They hire people off the street as long as they've got high school under their belt because 95% of their caller volume is grandma not knowing how to "click on google."

Worst part, there's nobody you can really talk with that'd be well informed.

easy money, goy.

pretty boring and helpdesk sucks but lots of easy money and jobs though

>Is it just me or is networking the most boring, banal, tedious, dull and mind-numbing area of IT?
Nah. That would be databases.

Very true, even the supervisor didn't know what "line stability" meant. They sent techs out though and it was fixed the next morning. Something at the junction box up the street fried or something. It's a sad state when the actual techs are being paid less than the braniacs in tech support/supervisor positions.

I don't fucking care about money, is the job easy and stress free? Planning on getting myself a cert.

Yeah, but you can't really blame them. I mean if you are somewhat qualified you'll probably avoid that position.

t. "sysadmin"

Tech support is not really an IT area, at least academically.

You don't do this, you tell them your skype or whatever calls are dropping midway, else they will give you a canned response for the most common problem E.g. speed.

Easy yes, stress free hell no, depending on the workplace some network cabinets can induce some panic attacks on the most inexperience technicians.

Why do people say that they are SysAdmins all the time?

Really you just manage Active Directory at best.

How does one ID a Great Sys Admin. Or rather skills gained to be a good Sys Admin?

>How does one ID a Great Sys Admin. Or rather skills gained to be a good Sys Admin?

By the amount and quality of scripts build, in that regard *nix sysadmins rule over windows because there are some stuff you just can't do without a GUI on Windows.

>Really you just manage Active Directory at best.

Try managing an AD on a linux server with Samba and/or Kerberos, it's harder but overall better because you actually need to know how it works.

>try managing AD on a Linux server

Umm. Why the fuck would you do that? Just integrate FreeIPA or realmd with Windows AD.

Underrated post

Seconded. Most of the people I meet majoring in networking are either failed front end devs, weebs, or gym rats. I hope to God this isn't a reflection of the industry as a whole in my area.

Since my course is networks and cyber security, my plan is to sysadmin until I value more money over easier job and then jump into cyber security

Networking is the designated driver of IT.
Helps all the more interesting things get where they're going but is boring as fuck itself.

The power rating is as follows:

Electronics Engineer
Database Engineer

POWER GAP

IT Systems Engineer

POWER GAP

Information Security Analyst
Network Engineer
Software Developer

POWER GAP

Computer Network Architect
Backend Developer
Frontend Developer

POWER GAP

Network Administrator
Tech Support Actually Knower

POWER GAP

Tech Support Bullshitter To Waste Your Time

>Is it just me or is IT the most boring, banal, tedious, dull and mind-numbing area of IT?

Fixed.

POWER GAP

Why is Database man so high? I have a friend who fucked right outta there for a frontend dev job.

that never happens. it goes the opposite way for ~99% of people

Depends a lot on your credentials. If you're a database ultra virgin wizard you can land a great job in a growing corporation and solve their inevitable scalability issues, which leads to rock star status.

We're all friends here... and anonymous
What ISP?

Actual engineers can make between 100k-135k pretty easily in the ISP world but we are not talking about the "install engineers" or the "help desk engineers".

The title of network engineer has changed quite a bit. Most today don't even have a proper Cisco background

Basically most ISPs actually offer a ton of services and ones that require highly skilled engineers

The guys delivering home wifi/internet don't make that much. Why would they, they are kind of like tier 1 engineers and don't do much except take boring calls from home customers

>mechanics" of IT go;

You make it sound like a bad thing. So yea, it isn't that bad at all

Anyway, don't confuse the guy plugging in the cable, or the guy doing basic networking troubleshooting for an ISP this field is huge

And yea, networking is a meme?
>kek
I've designed networks most wouldn't understand how they work, where the weak points are, or where the security flaws are.

How do I get a job as a Tech Support Bullshitter to Waste Your Time.

Umm, what ISP?

So most ISPs do not have the capability to check proper packet loss, jitter, delay etc.. they can run a continuous ping but good luck getting actual results from that

The in home modem/routers are pretty basic depending on the carrier and most like they will tell you to restart the damn thing

>s it just me
It's you

ISP is a good start of some small IT company that does help desk support

I was never hired for those roles, too qualified and they wouldn't waste the $13/hr on me since they fucking knew the whole time i would quit

eventually found a job that led me to making 100k in the networking world