Your country

>your country
>at which age did you grow out of the "english is germanic meme"?

Holland
Never fell for it

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=y6oXW_YiV6g
youtube.com/watch?v=sqRI-HFSbaA
youtube.com/watch?v=9Kr-eH9I_G4
etymonline.com/index.php?term=pine
etymonline.com/index.php?allowed_in_frame=0&search=space
youtube.com/watch?v=hG27snbQGSg
youtube.com/watch?v=j7nm9ZgBEHc
youtube.com/watch?v=Ja4tVPCDQco
youtube.com/watch?v=ezFWNW2OUAY
youtube.com/watch?v=n8xyOkb5M74
youtube.com/watch?v=SLKdZhBsjoU
youtube.com/watch?v=1hWE52zsOaA
youtube.com/watch?v=pySTHOJKIlA
youtube.com/watch?v=Kg23CkWGu2k
youtube.com/watch?v=DvR6-SQzqO8
youtube.com/watch?v=tz1aZq3axgg
youtube.com/watch?v=ZWCB3hpJDXM&pxtry=1
nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samenstelling_(taalkunde)
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/moveo#Latin
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Russia
>Mebel
>pula

I understood the мeбeль part, but what's pula?

>implying dutch isn't basically english anyway

Pulya*.

Karl = HOT
Charles = not

dutch is maybe english' germanic cousing twice removed

we borrow way fewer romance loan words

English is just a French creole lmao
I can't believe this shit is the international language

You can always import some new words but you can't import grammatical rules so english is still a germanic language

>you're country
>Holland

Kankerrandstad

THIS

Geordies sound like you lad

you gan oot the neet versus ga je nog uit vanaaf?

>t.anglo linguistics professor

fuck off m8

Our word for 'furniture' is 'muebles', but that doesn't make us Germanic.

neither does your 50% of youth unemployment

>Boland
>Bullet - Kula
>Furniture - Meble
We wuz wends and shit.

Yup pretty Northern to me m8

same here
our word is mebeli

Then why shouldn't English be a Germanic language despite a few token words of Latin origin?

>Doop

W E W
E
W

Old english was germanic until it got FROGGED
Same thing actually happened to russian which was originally a greek derivative, but was simplified to shit because Pyotr The Great was a filthy frencheboo

because it got L A T I N A T E D

The English words are far more beautiful than the Germanic ones.

I'm glad we got influenced by Romance languages 2bh Germanic languages are ugly as fuck

who's being cucked here geordie?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Butthurt because your language doesn't sound as good as ours?

Northerner, can confirm.

>Treasure in germanic is Skat (scat)
Sounds right to me

youtube.com/watch?v=y6oXW_YiV6g

>Germanic languages are ugly as fuck
Latin is really fugly. I even try to cleanse my Swedish from the Latin words that exist.

I bet you think ecclesiastical Latin is real Latin

What does that have to do with anything?

actually, Holland is just a former province in the Netherlands

>actually

Didn't a lot of words just have to do with classes after the norman invasions?

>upper classes call food poultry, beef, pork
>lower classes call it chicken, cow, pig/swine

still more french than dutch

>Kalns
>Lode
>Kristības
>Mēbeles

>Līme
>Zinātne
>Dārgumi
>Ziņojums

>Skābe
>Zieds
>Vāvere
>Vienotība

>2 out of 12
Latvian is more Germanic than English.

They sound quite different

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

haha, joke's on you, I was merely pretending to be retarded

haha you got me!

how emberrassing!

30% may be from French words but most of it is words english speakers hardly ever use

How often will a person say envelope or lieutenant in a day?

we still use fewer romance words on a daily basis

They're both fugly languages.

>english
>germanic

it's like old french with a silly pronunciation

lmao don't even pretend. you know full well that your languages are considered ugly by almost everyone

You speak the linguistic equivalents of our women.

>implying english is any prettier than german

But it is though.

not really t.b.h.

no it isn't

having heard it with unbiased ears (i.e. not understanding either language at one point in time), both are equally ugly.

Mobila.

I have done the same and I must say I prefer English.

probably because there is this international "german is harsh and ugly" meme

In actuallity, germans are very soft spoken and sound a little bit gay.

Anglos on the other hand (especially brits) bark their words like dogs. It is just that any international meme has to propagate through the medium we call the english language, which of course tries to make itself look good. No one in the whole world would unironically call their own language ugly, especially not if they have a fuckton of people who speak that particular language and are not exposed to other languages regularely

>german is harsh and ugly
No, not at all. First time I heard German was at my grandpa's place, he had pirated satellite TV with mostly German tv shows. Young as I was I wanted to watch cartoons which are all in German.

I think it has more to do with it being slightly more similar to Sweden, but still so different. Uncanny valley and all that.

Except I've known plenty of Dutch that recognise the sheer ugliness of their language.

Oh so that's why it's called an iceberg

>science in your language is literally called "witchcraft"

I thought that too.
But why the lettuce?

It looks like an iceberg

the only good germanic language is german

the rest is pure shit

This. They're all pretty bad but German is the best.

Swiss sounds pretty good.

The -shcap, -schaft, -skab (lol) and -skap suffix are pretty much the same as -ship. Weten, wissen, viden and veten are mean knowledge. Ergo the direct translation it's not 'witchcraft' but 'knowledgeship'.

I prefer Austrian to the German or Swiss language

people always come into my store looking for envelopes

El español y el italiano se van a convertir en los nuevos lenguajes internacionales y no hay NADA, absolutamente NADA, que ustedes puedan hacer al respecto.

What's wrong with Flemish? People complain about Dutch because of the phlegm throat gargling but we don't have that in Flanders, we use soft G's and rolling R's.
Here's two examples
youtube.com/watch?v=sqRI-HFSbaA
youtube.com/watch?v=9Kr-eH9I_G4

Also I genuinely think Norwegian sounds really great, to me it's the most aesthetic Germanic language.
The worst is BY FAR Danish.

>italiano

literal kek. completely irrelevant language despite being pretty

That's what scientia means, from scio ( to know)

>especially not if they have a fuckton of people who speak that particular language and are not exposed to other languages regularely

And in Europe that is literally nobody, who are these mystical tribes cut off from Americanisation and the English language?

El italiano se hará relevante gracias al éxito del español. Como en el caso del francés y el alemán, que ahora mismo solo tienen valor por su relación al inglés.

i don't think i ever specified i was talking about europe

We had germanic influence. Just a reminder.

They got "cucked" by latin.

We got cucked by throat cancer.

>only language to use germanic words for pineapple
>"Why don't you say ananas retards! Jajaja! You are not germanic like us"

Shut up nigger.

I'm oddly enough not bothered by non-Latin loan words, except for maybe Greek ones.

>pine
>germanic

etymonline.com/index.php?term=pine

uh ok

>americans call cosmos SPACE
Literally kill yourselves

We as the dutch share 100% of the weekdays with English, i dunno about youbut we are not that far away

>FROM OLD FRENCH ESPACE
>FROM LATIN "SPATIUM"

etymonline.com/index.php?allowed_in_frame=0&search=space

AHAHAHHAHAAHA

But still wew lads

still cucked by romans

(not that i would rather be cucked by the jews) (or the hygene police)

>be thinks language is only by vocabulary, not any by grammar, phonetics, and such

Nice cherrypicking I could also make the same comparing it to romance languages

>let's look at four words
>english isn't germanic xdddd

You'd better inform all the linguists.

Portugal is Galicia's Rightful Clay and vice versa.

#freegalicia

it's a joke

Purple = cucked countries
Yellow = Okay
Orange = artful blend of Latin and germanic

It is just playfull banter, i am actually implying that english is dispropotianately cucked by the romans/french

there is just more to cherrypick in english than in any real, lexicaly germanic language.

"French is Romance" or "Slovenia is Slavic"

>It is just playfull banter, i am actually implying that english is dispropotianately cucked by the romans/french

>cucked

Latin is the most beautiful language humanity has ever produced, why wouldn't you want it as part of your language?

Old English does sound beautiful, though. I've heard that Icelandic speakers can read some of it since it was relatively similar to Old Norse. It's really interesting to see languages develop.

youtube.com/watch?v=hG27snbQGSg

why England's faggots can't stop being retarded and become a part of France?

French is the most beautiful, my leaf friend. And Polish.

Why can't Rus faggots can't stop being retarded and become a part of Mongolia?

>Old English does sound beautiful, though. I've heard that Icelandic speakers can read some of it since it was relatively similar to Old Norse.

so can dutch people. Dutch people moreso than icelanders. English and norse split off way before dutch and english did.

the only people who would claim otherwise are retards who romanticize scandinavians for no reason other than them being blond

Nice meme, but I'm probably not russian, my dear leaf friend.

Independent England shouldn't exist.

>Being that much deseparate not to find a relevance with Germanic languages
>K*** Der G*****
>Not Karolus Magnus
>Not understanding that French language is about honing pre-existing words from various laguages (from Gaelic to Low German via Ancient greek) hence Charles le Magne
>Not understanding French language hasn't got the sickly obsession to find the evident root from the evident (and dramaticly always the same) ancestors
>Mfw even United Statesian are infected with that dicease that consists in always retailing everything to Germany or Saxons, not only with the words but with blood ancestry.

England had betrayed Poland and will pay for it.

>Latin is the most beautiful language humanity has ever produced
We don't even know how latin actually sounded like. Latin words are aesthetic as fuck though, too bad english took only the most boring parts (roots) and got rid of all these sexy declensions and conjugations - -orum -tis -cus -ium -ibus -verunt -est -eritis -vissemus -bamini -turus esse etc, imagine how dank that'd be to say that in everyday life

youtube.com/watch?v=j7nm9ZgBEHc

youtube.com/watch?v=Ja4tVPCDQco

this

youtube.com/watch?v=ezFWNW2OUAY

youtube.com/watch?v=n8xyOkb5M74 - original in Russian

does Russia similar to Latin?

also the most beautiful language is French

>Holland

Take any English speaker who has never studied Dutch or French and have them read a book in either of those languages and I guarantee you they'll be able to understand significantly more of the French. A lot of our most basic words are still Germanic but whenever we start to get descriptive about nearly anything, the Romance words start coming out.

The reconstructed Classical pronunciation is about right, though of course while we can't know for certain how it was pronounced there isn't a lot of disagreement between scholars. I've only heard Church Latin irl but it's still really pretty.

Classical

youtube.com/watch?v=SLKdZhBsjoU

Church

youtube.com/watch?v=1hWE52zsOaA

this, english is a language with germanic bones, but mostly romance flesh.

CH is the gayest sound in history, thanks italians

The older English Latin pronunciation is really nice sounding as well, but today as far as I know schools all teach the classical pronunciation.

youtube.com/watch?v=pySTHOJKIlA

The best language. Ever. You are an idiot if you don't think so.

youtube.com/watch?v=Kg23CkWGu2k

>flower
>not "bloom"

I'm Flemish
wherever I go, I must resist la francophonie

DEATH TO THE FROGS
SCHILD EN VRIEND

The French culture is objectivity better than German, just compare the architecture.

if you would hold up a flower and ask any anglo kid what it was, they would say "flower"

Despite bloom being used in fringe cases (poetry and such), in everyday use, it means something else

it's not the same, the Dutch word for "bloom" is "bloei", while "flower" is "bloem"

Don't really like uvular sounds tbhwy

They are just throroughly linguistically cucked

What's the difference between bloei and bloem?

please grow up.

bloei: to be in bloom, to blossom

bloem: flower

You can't pick and choose, French culture as a whole also includes being a lazy piece of shit living off welfare or government subsidies propping up outdated and non-competitive economic sectors.

Belgium is a good case study to examine the differences between Romance and Germanic culture. It doesn't take a genius to figure out Germanic is superior. Even the rare Walloon poster on Cred Forums often recognizes that Flanders has to drag Wallonia along because it can't survive on its own. And again this isn't just economic trivia, it's inherent to the culture.

I still don't see the difference, is bloem only a noun?

yes

bloeien is the verb

yes, bloem is a noun
"een bloem" = "a flower"
"bloeien" = "to bloom"
"in bloei zijn" = "to be in blossom"

/thread

Oh right on then. I was confused because flower, bloom, and blossom can all be nouns or verbs so I wasn't sure which was which.

Not like Latvian was heavily influenced by German for 700 years.

I agree, stupid k-palatalisation in Vulgar Latin ruined it. Funnily, our Latin loanwords are sometimes closer in pronunciation to the original than they are in actual modern Romance languages, takle for example
>Caesar
which was originally "Kaisar". We now say "Kaiser" (thought the r is dropped), while Italians go "Tschässaaaarääää"

but your language sound like shit compared to Italian though

Same here
>Blume
a type of generally small plant which usually is ornamentally grown for its large and prominent flowers, such as tulips, crocus etc, the word always refers to the whole plant
>Blüte
The inflorescence itself and only, can either refer to the flowering part of aforementioned "Blumen", but also to e.g. the flower of a cherry tree

french sounds like shit

you all sound like shit fuck off

Women love it, I don't give a shit about your opinion.

Could you explain k-palatalisation to me? Why did Latin go from [k] sounds to [tʃ] in words like "caelum"?

>french sounds like shit

youtube.com/watch?v=DvR6-SQzqO8

nno one gives a rats ass what you think

sounds like shit there
please restraint yourself

I dunno why, but such changes happen in many languages
For Latin, all the /k/s that were before "high vowels" such as /e/ and /i/ became palatised in all descending languages, sometimes to /s/, sometimes /ts/, sometimes /tʃ/

>nno one gives a rats ass

I hope so, I wouldn't want to see you guys doing that

>Flag
>0

I still haven't. Probably never will.

grow up

I guess I can see why that would happen in everyday speech.

Yeah, an example in Germanic is Icelandic, where some etymological /k/s ahave become [c], from there it's not too weird to go to [tʃ], I imagine in Latin it was similar
I imagine something for example like
[k] -> [kʲ] -> [c] -> [tɕ] -> [tʃ]

Still, to me keeping it [k] just sounds more "aristocratic/patrician" if that makes any sense

bump

Dutch is an easier language to learn over French if you're a native English speaker.

It might be more understandable if you don't know either language, but once you actual LEARN these languages you see the similarities.
Loan words are superficial, actual language starts with things like grammar.

Besides, look at word origin in use, Latin words are mostly in medicine.

that is not what he said.

Dutch is easier because of the grammatical words and structures are mostly germanic,

Nouns and descriptive words are way closer to french.

There is a reason why dutch kids can't understand english people whereas they can udnerstand german kids, despite english and dutch having split off later than german and dutch.

lexically, english is closer to french or latin than to dutch, that is all what he tried to say

learn more

That's what makes English a beautiful language, a mix and variety that is unsurpassed. While Dutch is totally irrelevant and to many, many people very ugly lmao.

english is also very good at not sharing cognates with the other germanic languages for some reason

I had an easier time reading danish than english before i learnt english, just because danish and dutch share more cognates, whereas the germanic words that english does have are not related, or recognizably related to dutch

>When they insult your language

>someone saved my OC from like 3 years ago
Flattered desu

He complimented your langage but wutever

I don't know, all politics and memes aside I think english is a very very practical language, at least as far as the pronunciation goes. It's quite easy on the voice box, and doesn't require you to make too many weird sounds on the average. Maybe the diphtongs are a bit harder for foreigners to nail them just right, but at least they don't make you sound barbaric, like any language with three different throat sounds.

>lexically, english is closer to french or latin than to dutch
Untrue, see and

I saved it a few weeks ago when it was posted by someone with a German flag - probably you.

>science
>wissenschaft
What is this the 1600s?

>you
>du
I'll stick with english

the most used words yes,

if you look at the whole language it is closer to french

the bones are germanic, the flesh is romance
look at also: germanic != being closer to dutch

for some reason the germanic words english uses are disproporionately non cognates with the other germanic languages i think that might have to do with the influence of low german on all of the hanze-area (which mostly didn't include england, was not very powerful there)

besides: I bet you don't even speak dutch or french so I don't know whether you have a lot to say on the matter

That's because bloom is not the same as flower you subhuman

Stupid britbongs.
Berck, cuggle
Dip, moble

Nah, have only posted it like 3-4 times back when I made it, so must've been someone else

This is the height of modern Dutch music...

youtube.com/watch?v=tz1aZq3axgg

While if you look at the music Britain and America have produced over the past 100 years then there really is no contest.

>lighthearded thread about inconventient truth about the anglosphere
>Brits start bullying the country of OP in a way unrelated to the topic at hand

can you even call this damage control?

I kind of know both, I've taken French in school and Dutch on Duolingo.

You're right (you've probably took a bait too) any basic research will tell you that English is grammatically Germanic and influenced by French and Latin words.

I don't know whete Scotts falls, but it has a lot more cognates with Dutch than English does.

>unrelated to the topic at hand

The world loves people singing in English.

Most singers have American accents.

And they sing in English, yes?

K then.

Not all singers will sing similar to their native accent or dialect. It can sound like they sing in 'American', but they're not purposely putting it on.

>the most used words yes,
Which is telling

>if you look at the whole language it is closer to french
It demonstrably isn't, not in phonetics, not in grammar, and in practice, not in vocabulary

>the bones are germanic, the flesh is romance
>look at #
I'm looking at it, and it doesn't account for frequency of use. The "(includes medical terms)" is important, because that is where almost all our Latin words are: out of common use. My image showed what you'd actually be speaking, which is very Germanic.

You then said what is completely true, that English, despite its extensive use of Germanic words, just doesn't have mutual intelligibility with other non Anglic languages in spite of being so Germanic, not because it's French.

>not purposely putting it on.
It's called freedom and liberty.

Most Britbong singers/bands do put on a Murrican accent though
Whenever they don't it actually catches my attention and sounds funny to me
youtube.com/watch?v=ZWCB3hpJDXM&pxtry=1

Most of the time I very much doubt it's on purpose.

dutch, got taught its anglosax and not germanic since forever

What about that one stadđing with the cute red hearts on its flag?

Forgot pic

Thread almost dead, but have one very much scientific and informative chart I made too

>entire thread of 9gag images
>182 replies
this board is dead, I miss 2010-2013

the eternal uneducated anglo strikes again.
wissen=knowledge
hexe=witch
also: WISdom

flemish is not a language though. its a dialect

sified as a Germanic language because it shares new language features (different from other Indo-European languages) with other Germanic languages such asDutch,German, andSwedish.[16]These shared innovations show that the languages have descended from a single common ancestor, which linguists callProto-Germanic. Some shared features of Germanic languages are the use ofmodal verbs, the division of verbs intostrongandweak classes, and the sound changes affecting Proto-Indo-Europeanconsonants, known as Grimm'sandVerner's laws.

All Continental West Germanic is a dialect continuum, whatever decides whether a local variety is "dialect" or "language" is only down to political willpower

Wikipedia says it's neither, it's a sub-family of languages. Is it really that much like Hollandaise?

Yes Yes, well done, you've shitposted about English again Van Der Shitpost However you may have noticed you're shitposting on an English language board and not a Dutch one. The opposite never happens.

its literally just another pronounciation. this user is right:

>your country
Canada
Around 21. My biology professor at uni recommended a Latin class for all science majors, so I took it. The amount of Latin based words found in English was suprising.
The realisation has grown stronger over recent months as I am learning French.

The onlt concretely German thing that carried over to English as far as I can tell, but that Latinates can't into, is compound words.

it might be the only language I know that isn't a patois that genuinely fits into two sub-(sub-sub-)branches, Latinic and west Germanic
the structure is irrevocably west Germanic though

Not really. This just makes english a lot more pretentious than it already is.

can I just say, fuck people that do this
you have the whole spectrum to pick from but most of your shit is clustered around one color (an orange one this time)
really fucking hard to distinguish some things

Confusing alphabets and language.

Russian is nothing like Greek lol, it is a descendant of Common Slavic.

>dihydrogen monoxide
Overdoing it now, aren't we?

This whole series of threads is just a meme-fest anyway, so why not meme it up a notch further?

Not that I have a problem with it, really. Keep it up.

Ex-communist Europe? I know plenty of people who only speak Slovak and only understand Slovak and Czech.

Häxkonst?

There are influences that go back a very long way that cause that, but a very big part of it was scholars and royalty and aristocracy and certain other groups in England having a hard-on for French from the time the Norman invasion (mid-11th century) until about the 14th century. An even bigger reason was those groups (and basically anyone wanting to appear smart) having a hard-on for Latin from about the 14th century until the end of the 19th century, and oh boy were they hard for Latin. That whole "no split infinitives" thing (e.g. to boldly go)? That's a bullshit* rule made up hundreds of years ago to make English more like Latin, and it took until the late 20th to early 21st century to really overturn it in formal writing.

* "shit" comes from English's Germanic roots, "bull" comes from Old Norse, and the "bull" in "bullshit" is thought to have come from Old French "boul", meaning nonsense

key trait of English that makes things more complicated: we tend to use words any way we damn well feel like
we turn shit into nouns, verbs, and adverbs all day every day
it's not really a grammatical feature so much as a usage feature, but it's indispensable to the average speaker

>Old French "boul", meaning nonsense
Absolute poppycock!

> compound words
even there english fucked up by not pasting everything together, like a real Germanic language would

JUST

How do you mean?
In English I use the compond word "bodywash"
In French it's "Gel douche"
In hardcore Québécois French it's "Nettoyant pour le corps."

In Dutch for example you can paste everything together to make up your own words
"nigger house"="negerhuis"
"nigger house constructor"="negerhuisbouwer"
"nigger house constructor agancy"=negerhuisbouwersagentschap
ect
>nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samenstelling_(taalkunde)
The Dutch wiki even links to the wrong usage of spaces when using compound words in the Dutch language, sometimes called "the english disease", or "de engelse ziekte"

Haha, here the equivalent phenomenon is known as Deppenleerzeichen (idiots' space)

Kek, furniture is muebles in spanish. Spain confirmed for germanic and aryan.

I see, yes, yrs it's rare in English to find more than 2 or maybe 3 words compounded, and the ability to form new compound words is more rare still.

I think it ultimately comes from a Latin root though ("mobil")

C'est meubles en la langue de française aussi.

Finnish probably has a higher % of germanic loanwords than English does latin ones, yet nobody is trying to claim that Finnish is a germanic language.

And here is the root of all evil:
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/moveo#Latin

Because the rest is unrecognisable moonspeak

You have butchered them to unrecognisable though
>removing all the consonant clusters
>hardening all the voiced vowels
For example "Stunde" -> "Tunti"

What you assume is moonspeak is half of the time actually a loan from old norse/proto-german.

>Finnish probably has a higher % of germanic loanwords than English does latin ones

I want to confirm this but Finnish is so alien and homosexual I don't want to touch it.

DELETE THIS NOW

That's just one example, we also have loads of words that haven't changed almost at all since it got borrowed a few thousand years ago
Kuningaz --> Kuningas for example

>homosexual
wut

I would guess it's because we compounded Latin and Greek words instead.
Osteoporosis is literally bone-pore-state and even then "pore" is still Greek, and "state" is Latin.
I suppose it could also be called boneholehood though.

I wish Scots had your attitude about being called England desu

That's one difference too now that you mention it. Medical conditions often have two varieties here: Greek/Latin in medical speech, but Germanic in common speech, like "Fraktur" vs "Bruch", while English always uses the Latin/Greek terms even in common speech

Names like Aki and Mika sound like girl names. It's a feminine language.

>some names sound feminine to him
>therefore the language is homosexual
can't argue with that logic

Don't wet your panties, Mika-chan.

I bet you think Mike is a manly name

Sasha is the gayest boy name ever. What the fuck even happened with that name?

>Fjall
>Byssukúla
>Skýrn
>Húsgögn

>Lím
>Vísindi
>Fjársjóður
>Skilaboð

>Sýra
>Blóm
>Íkorni
>Samheildni