youtube.com/watch?v=XZUHXe1N3s4
youtube.com/watch?v=Qxv9s3PTIzY
youtube.com/watch?v=P_jU8knC5ns
especiedetrio.bandcamp.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=CJpTMGutG00
youtube.com/watch?v=YStnYTxkVnY
youtube.com/watch?v=DsmbF_TC1PM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Came here to bitch about the tuga accent but the song you posted is brazilian. A shit song anyway.

bump, will post in a second

portuguese as in from Portugal? only know a few
youtube.com/watch?v=votE9O0alLg

i know brazilian music more because of reasons

that's a shit song

i'll post br songs

youtube.com/watch?v=OBDfWikT34M
youtube.com/watch?v=1wAAcmpr8d4

Best songs are fado:
youtube.com/watch?v=dcFAcjXZKWY

Fado-inspired:
youtube.com/watch?v=L1rzzQniHUk

Or just plain intervention songs:
youtube.com/watch?v=UvHYN-shtjM

Bossa Nova is cheating. We've only have 2 or 3 artists that can compete with that, musical complexity-wise at least.

Our songs are always about the lyrics and meaning, which are lost in translation/culture differences. And are usually simple to play.

nah they're too depressive. this is better:
youtube.com/watch?v=p_4v-1pxB2o
youtube.com/watch?v=L7tIeohrF50

But the latter 2 I posted aren't depressing at all. They are coy and playful.

ah ok. i'm still waiting for them to load so i didn't listen yet

BOLOLO

HA HA

BOLOLO HA HA HA HA

youtube.com/watch?v=e9t_R9M2ZJU

youtu.be/9ibreMWAOwQ

Don't know many portuguese songs but I liked
Obviously I know a lot of br music, Seu Jorge is probably my favorite living singer
youtube.com/watch?v=KqtOR8Uhy-U
youtube.com/watch?v=XwT2iiKeg1g

I love samba and pagode too, grew up in Rio and they make me nostalgic af, we'd bring the family together to watch our football team and sing old songs every weekend
>tf dad died 2 year ago
>we will never eat bbq and sing again
feels bad
youtube.com/watch?v=c4XeTP11EI8

I fucking love Tom Jobim/João Gilberto. Surprised it's not been posted yet.

youtube.com/watch?v=tCMhuN3053o

youtube.com/watch?v=w73hEZKnDeA

youtube.com/watch?v=Ja-Ags-Yx84

youtube.com/watch?v=QW1T1hUeGYs

Love him too, wave and chega de saudade always makes me feel warm inside. Tried to learn guitar because of fim but I never became proficient at it. Bossa Nova just isn't the same on the piano.
Posting moar bossa

youtube.com/watch?v=e4DL2p5ErV8

youtube.com/watch?v=E1tOV7y94DY

youtube.com/watch?v=Lu0gZ9WU0SY

>>Love him too, wave and chega de saudade always makes me feel warm inside.
youtube.com/watch?v=aX2CcrsxLcQ

Me too. I learned it on the double bass last week. Pretty fun.

Bossa Nova chords are hard as fuck though. The Bass is definitely easier on those cases.

By the way, what did you think about the recording Frank Sinastra did for his songs? I know they're all in english but Sinastra's voice is something else. He's was a smooth motherfucker alright

youtube.com/watch?v=ZIrNtAq-t8w

I dunno. I don't much like Sinatra on Bossa Nova.

I feel like Jobim was always better and more comfortable on piano as well.

Definitely worth a listen since they are unique, and I like them, but they aren't my favourite or anything.

>I feel like Jobim was always better and more comfortable on piano as well.

Piano was his main instrument but they made Jobim play the guitar for his tour with Sinastra because it would supposedly promote the ""latino"" feel. Of course he could make anything sound beautiful no matter the instrument but I always feel that there's something missing on the piano. Might be just me, I was trained for classical music.
youtube.com/watch?v=Jl8TwGuVGGQ
youtube.com/watch?v=gIHj3hjpTNc

It helps that I'm a jazz bassist so I hate guitars by nature, almost.

Pianists and Guitarists are always jealous of each other's advantages. Almost every guitarist I know claims they would've learned piano instead, and vice-versa, so there you go.

In bossa nova I do prefer piano comping with voice, as voice is very essential to it. I like that both Jobim and Gilberto always sing slightly off-key in some sentences on purpose, which Sinatra doesn't, and it removes a bit of the raw-ness of it. Same thing when you bring it to an equal-tempered instrument like a piano or a guitar.

Without the voice, like in your examples, I prefer the guitar. Also because he sticks closer to the melody and harmony, and doesn't try to deconstruct it as much. Nylon guitars are also cheating, as they are not as annoying as steel/electric guitars, which I am so tired of.

Also, you might find interesting to know that, up here in Jazz concerts we try singing Bossa with PT-PT and it only works in some songs but not in others.

Desafinado sounds okay-ish, but Garota do Ipanema doesn't at all. It's weird. We usually end up faking a Brazilian telenovela accent.

You're right. I'm also definitely not a fan of electric guitars. They're too aggressive and the notes never come as clean.

>singing Bossa with PT-PT and it only works in some songs
I actually really want to hear that. Could you share any?

Also some nice tuga jazz singers would be nice

>I actually really want to hear that. Could you share any?
Not really, no. It's just an amateur-jazz thing we do, I think. At least I don't listen to a lot of Portuguese Jazz singers who do it in albums or something.

>Also some nice tuga jazz singers would be nice
I only really know of Maria João of the top of my head, but she only does that weird tribal/scat thing, so I don't like her a lot:
youtube.com/watch?v=4boy-eXQBHg

We don't have a lot of quintissentially Portuguese, and just draw from other influences.

Most GOAT Portuguese-sounding jazz is instrumental:
youtube.com/watch?v=XZUHXe1N3s4

And our Vocal work is more Jazz-y than real Jazz, but use Fado influence in the vocals themselves:
youtube.com/watch?v=Qxv9s3PTIzY

Any of my singer friends would kill me if I said this, though, I'm probably making some serious overlooking.

The only good steel string guitars are Portuguese guitars played like this:

youtube.com/watch?v=P_jU8knC5ns

There was a great Jazz cover of it from the Bernardo Moreira Sexteto, but it's off Youtube. You can find it on Spotify with the same name, though.

Thanks user! Um contra o Outro reminds me of a genre from southeast Brazil, sertanejo. Made a quick google search to find out that it was indeed inspired by your fado.
Portuguese accent is always a bit weird to hear but we soon get used to it. You probably feel the same about brazilian accent.

Liked the instrumentals too, will look for Bernado Moreira on spotify, thanks!

Anytime, mate. Sertanejo usually comes up when Portuguese and Brazilian mention fado, yes.

Our Jazz scene is very small and familiar, with little projection outside of the bars, but we have a bunch of small trios that are pretty good. Heard these guys the other day, thought they were pretty good, and they have a Chico Buarque cover, not unlike The Bad Plus, if you've heard of them.

especiedetrio.bandcamp.com/

Why don't you talk in Portuguese?

Common courtesy in a public anglophone forum.

In case anyone wants to understand what we're talking about.

Yeah I don't think so

Based Ritchie:
youtube.com/watch?v=CJpTMGutG00

youtube.com/watch?v=YStnYTxkVnY

youtube.com/watch?v=DsmbF_TC1PM

PARAPAPAPAPAPAPAPARA