Why do Americans smile at strangers?

Why do Americans smile at strangers?

are europeans really that autistic?

>not handshaking every person that you find on the street

not there but I'm still being triggered
fuuuck

Because by not smiling you've violated their rights to be smiled at. You will be shot, arrested, and then tipped, in that order.

Because they are on drugs alk the time.

In all seriousness it's to be friendly.
If you make eye contact with someone isn't it polite to show that you're friendly?

and there's always the monkey culture representant

>smalltalk

I'm always hostile

Because social contacts are a resource for personal advancement in the US, especially in fucking SoCal where your networking can make or break your business success. It's all a game of knowing the right people.

I wish strangers smiled at me. Smiles make me happy.

Some cultures are more animalistic and consider eye contact to be a form of coercion

jokes on you I am actually a polish descendent

to not get shot

I find it a good way to deal with awkwardness.

>eye contact
No

ALL AMERICANS ARE RAPİST!

>go out
>stranger girl kindly smiles while staring at me
Why some people do this?

We're actually a nation of psychopaths.

we smile to distract from the pain inside

>Why do Americans smile at strangers?
because it is friendly

for the sake of the argument, why do euros stand so fucking close to each other when they talk? french and italians are the worst at this. i dont want to smell your breath when im speaking to you pierre, back the fuck up

Because we know we're better than you

kek that insecurity

She liked you. Did you ask her number?

ha no its just what you do if you make eye-contact with people on the street. its seen as more friendly than just staring the other person down, which could be misinterpreted as an intimidation move.

They hope to lower their chances of getting shot, since shooting people is legal in America.

It depends on the people, I hate it too and I don't know many people who do that

No seriously, why don't we smile at strangers? There's 0 reasons not to. I want to live in a world where people smile at one another!

Nope. Why would I? She probably was in a good mood but why would you stare at someone smiling here?

its nothing personnel kid, but if i can taste your breath when i speak, you are standing too close. euros generally have shit dental hygiene too, so this is made more apparent. i probably wouldnt even mind if it wasnt for that

still insecure

I only smile at strangers at work (retail slave). Outside of work I just avoid eye contact unless someone talks to me first.

sorry im not black

only animals don't smile, I love you USA

>Why would I?
To fuck her, why not?
>why would you stare at someone smiling here?
Good mood, probably, yes. Was she staring at you? She really liked you, why do you think she didn't?

Why not? it feels good to smile at people and to be smiled at. It's just being friendly.

I think it's very rude to smile at other people or show emotion, when you make eye contact. If you make eye contact, the only polite thing to do is to look down and act as if nothing happened.

People, who initiate contact with complete strangers on the street are utter trash. Just thinking about this makes me really angry.

Because the more something is rare the more it is valuable, it would look phony if we smiled all the time like some sort of social convention

>gets upset at basic human interaction
>he looks down like a beaten puppy when someone makes eye contact with him
I really want to butt fuck people like you.

> To fuck her, why not?
It happened when my parents sent me in the countryside where my grandparents live instead of sending me to an actual resort. I was cautious of local kids back then cause I didn't want to get beaten by them.
> She really liked you, why do you think she didn't?
Cause I look average. Not fat, but not too muscular either.

Kill yourself dumb nigger.

Calm down autismo we don't smile 24/7 unless something is wrong. Smiling at a stranger is pretty quick and its dropped before the conversation starts its just extra acknowledgement along with eye contact that you are going to speak to them or that you just notice they are there.

This comes as no suprise.

Hungary is a third world country full of savages worse than our niggers here.

Why are Russians so autistic? I mean look at this

When did smiling become an african trait? Are you saying Europeans are cold heartless autists?
That's fucking defamination. Fix yourselves autists.

Fair enough. Maybe not all the time, but at least a little bit more from time to time?

You just don't know what villagers here like.

Why do I need to show strangers I'm friendly??? Idgaf what they think, I don't know them. It's awkard as fuck to just smile at people.. nonce behaviour right there.

Try it. Nigger tier people like you, who come from sheltered western societies think polite people are peaceful and afraid of fighting. People learned to behave because if you seek confrontation, you'll get confrontation, you'll be quickly mobbed, beaten and you'll die.

People, who aren't disciplined are animals, and animals don't have human rights.

In more fortunate times, the gendarmerie would just see you disbehaving and they would beat the shit out of you if you made bad looks. This is how it should be.

>If you make eye contact, the only polite thing to do is to look down and act as if nothing happened.
Might be time to see a psychiatrist, Hungrary.

You don't smile to strangers in Russia if you don't have a reason.

WTF I love Hungary now

Russians don't smile and don't talk to strangers - it could be dangerous. Being friendly with Russians make them think that a friendly person is willing to give them some money or wants to be beaten.

This is civilization, you nigger savage. What you're doing with your hippy shit is the deconstruction of civilization. It is necessary and well that Swedes think niggers, arabs, gypsies and other thugs are people. In their delusion they cater to them and care about them, they smile and try to be friendly.

These people should be slaughtered and bred out. A man doesn't smile, a man behaves like a disciplined, strong, but polite individual. Anyone, who smiles is a weak faggot, anyone, who disbehaves in public breaks peace and becomes free to be beaten and killed.

>missed the opportunity to fuck a countryside girl

I can't tell if this is actual slav mentality or just autism.

right, now youre all tough. but when i see you on the street and make eye-contact and smile at you, know that i am doing it out of malice. but then, you probably wont notice because you will have already averted your eyes like some sort of scared animal. stay hungry hungary

>A man doesn't smile, a man behaves like a disciplined, strong, but polite individual. Anyone, who smiles is a weak faggot, anyone, who disbehaves in public breaks peace and becomes free to be beaten and killed.

Completely agree... HOWEVER, a lad can smile, just only to people you know well. Maybe not killed either because that itself is third world lynching behaviour, just beaten.

>oтпиздилa дepeвeнcкaя быдлoтa, кoгдa ты тpaхнyл чью-тo cecтpy и нe cтaл c нeй вcтpeчaтьcя
>got beaten up by locals after your fucked someone sister and disagreed to become a couple after that. All because of yours instincts which you can't even control

breh careful, you will cut yourself on that edge

Ayy amigo aquí esta tu (tu)

>Someone walking toward you on the sidewalk
>Try to get out of each others way
>Move in the same direction a couple times and do that awkward half shuffle
>Both smile and say sorry
>Carry on

It's nice.

>Hungarian
>slav

He's just an edgelord.

>implying they don't fuck their sisters themselves
>implying they wouldn't share her

I don't know what you have in mind, but 'looking down' doesn't mean I don't see you. I meant, breaking the eye contact, not looking at your shoes like an autist. You're still in my field of view, but you're completely right about the malice thing.

The only people, who smile are savages, niggers, chinks and gypsies smile in a very disgusting, unnatural way when they're encountering stronger people, like their lives depend on it.

It's a primitive way of showing inferiority, a confident man doesn't smile, he has a mild, thoughtful, expressionless look on his face. A stiff upper lip, as the British called it.

Yes, but that's not the topic. Of course you can smile and laugh with your mates or if you heard a joke or something. This is about that disgusting, unnatural, appeasing smile people have on their faces encountering strangers. Without real friendliness, a grotesque, macabre show.

>cságeci xd
>ne legyél olyan éles :p
Somogynak kijárna egy tűzfal, hogy csak az időjárásjelentést láthassák a buta parasztok az interneten.

To someone I'm gonna talk to or someone who works in a shop yes obviously I'll smile, but to a random guy in the street that's not really something we do here, even looking someone in the eyes for too long is kinda rude. With girls it's different though

It's just how people from the Baltic states are I don't know why people are giving him shit, it's Eastern Europe, was everyone expecting them to be some kind of loving people? I think it is partly genetic too.

fúhallod egy igazi sherlock reinkarnáció vagy

kys

>Hungary
>Baltic states
>Eastern Europe

If they smile you won't be shot, if they don't, go dig a plot

>H U N G A R Y
>Baltic state

personally i only smile at strangers if they are good looking. its my way of saying "thank you for looking so good, i enjoyed myself". i try not to look at ugly people because they are a blight to the eyes and should remain indoors.

i do agree with you about the "unfriendly smile" as it were, being a little phony and pointless. but i dont fear it as some sort of ominous sign of treachery, as you hungarians apparently do. lighten the fuck up guys

you have to remember that here in the states, anything that was ever part of the ussr (either officially or as a sattelite) is referred to, and taught in schools, as "eastern europe". this, of course, includes most of central europe. we arent exactly known for our education system.

autist detected

neither confirming nor denying this (have never thought that nor been psychologically assessed) but i am curious; what gave you that notion?

I don't smile at strangers but i will say "alri"

Kek

:)

Still, the Baltic states are nowhere near Hungary, I'd have thought after being on Cred Forums you'd have learned some basic georgaphy. Did you mean Balkans by any chance? Because that is closer, although Hungary isn't part of that either.

My mother told me this means a girl likes you,
but I don't think this explanation makes sense.

)))00))

I don't know but I'd like it to stop. Pls...

>be Europoo in supermarket
>see american
>american smiles at you, makes eye contact, and says hello
>look at ground, hunch over, and try to escape
> an american child looks up at you, smiles, makes eye contact, and says hi
>terrified the europoo begins to cry as he can not handle his anxiety induced hysteria
>a man walks up to the europoo and places a hand upon the europoo shoulder, makes eye contact, and gives him a warm good ol boy smile
>He begins to small talk

>be american in europe
>smile at random guy in the street
>get mugged like a tourist

I've developed a permanent scowl to prevent this.

>mugged
>in france
What are you going to threaten to surrender to me or get sit around while two guys refugees shoot up a group of metal heads.

This was the only correct answer

I don't and I wish others wouldn't too. It feels so fake and unnatural, not to mention a stranger smiling at you is so uncomfortable

"Ello Mr American. I have the aids in this syringe here. If you don't give me your money I'll give you the aids. "
Your reaction?
PS: Someone I knew who had lived in Paris told me this would happen there.

>Americans smile at each other because they're all trying to make the next Facebook
what the fuck went through your head when you proposed this theory to yourself

So now you called yourself Autistic?

Hey guys :D

>Walk outside
>pass plenty of people
>whever eye contact is made be it with a guy or a girl smile
>continue on my merry way

thats easy.

Do you fucks also dont say hello and bye/thanks to the bus driver?

This literally only happens in suburbs or small cities. I live in NYC and I wouldn't smile at a random person on the subway or street unless I wanted to get killed.

I don't smile at strangers, it got me in trouble when I worked a shitty minimum wage job. I might just be an autist, though.

Has to be this. The only time I smile for no reason is when I'm really drunk or high.

>Are you saying Europeans are cold heartless autists
Yes absolutely.

This. Happy people are the worst because they don't care about anything. They're already happy.

>saying hello to the bus driver

what the fuck

what do you mean you got in troubl

Hungary is in eastern Europe though.

>anything that was ever part of the ussr (either officially or as a sattelite) is referred to, and taught in schools, as "eastern europe"
That is more or less correct.

Those fake smiles serve only to make you think of those who give them as decent people, but in most cases that's a lie. If people of such a mentalitywished you death they woul still smile into your face.
So, isn't it far more pleasant to live in a surrounding where people smile at you trully, and if they don't give a shit about you or hate you - they don't smile at all?

lol do americans really do this?

people don't do this even in brazil

If you're already staring then its rude not to. If not smile then at least nod or something.

so maybe the real question is why do non-americans stare?

>Those fake smiles serve only to make you think of those who give them as decent people,
Why would I want people to think I'm a bad person, though?

Europeans often criticize the “American smile.” They say that Americans are fake, because they often smile when they are not really happy. Americans pretend to be happy to see you, when they’re not. A customer service representative might greet you with a cheery, “Hi! How can I help you?” when she’s really a mean bitch.

Eastern Europeans somehow think that they are superior because they give you a scowl instead of a smile. Frankly, I’ll take a fake smile everyday over a sincere scowl. I might delude myself, but I don’t care. It just feels better. Why, when we have the choice between giving a smile or a frown, should we opt for a frown? Some may say it’s not simply a choice between a frown or a smile. There’s a third way, the European way, which is a neutral face. This, Europeans claim, is the most sincere. “Why should the store representative smile at you when he doesn’t even know you? That’s insincere,” the Europeans argue. “It’s better to have a neutral face.”

Look at yourself in the mirror and put on your best neutral face. Imagine someone just walked into your store and you’re wearing that neutral face. What does it look like to the customer? It looks a bit cold, distant, unfriendly, and unapproachable. Obviously a frown is even worse, but the neutral look is off-putting too.

Furthermore, the neutral look would be fine if the customer service agent would immediately brighten up once they learn that you’re not trying to rape their daughter. However, they don’t.

The Eastern European tries a different argument: “Fine, so we’re a bit cold at the beginning, but eventually we warm up, and when we do, you’ll have a friend for life.” So what? Do you want a freaking medal?

Americans make lifelong friends too. Like any human, we usually take our time before reaching that point. The difference is that we don’t use that as an excuse to be an asshole at the beginning.

Nothing bad, my boss just told me to smile more, and was caught talking shit about me. Tbf I was mainly a delivery driver and rarely worked the register.

>Look at yourself in the mirror and put on your best neutral face. Imagine someone just walked into your store and you’re wearing that neutral face. What does it look like to the customer? It looks a bit cold, distant, unfriendly, and unapproachable. Obviously a frown is even worse, but the neutral look is off-putting too.
No it doesn't, and no it isn't. It looks like the clerk/merchant isn't a retard. (Though of course they still might be, and of course they still are)

Cause it feels good to have someone smile back

This, absolutely.
The reason anybody smiles at another, is either because they want the other person to be happy or comfortable, and/or they've been told that not enough people smile at strangers, and it really should be done (not even talking about customer service jobs, just day-to-day grocery shopping and whatnot).

Literally all of yurope is MAX 2nd world. They can't even afford heating, windowscreens, washing machines, or street cleaning machines. We need to be nice.

>unless I wanted to get killed
yeah, calm down midwest transplant

unless you're smiling at hoodrats at midnight you'll be fine. That being said, I prefer a quick nod because I'm not gay.

cant believe people find it weird to say hello or smile. People do it here like second nature.

We're a large country made of people from different cultures. It's an easy way of saying "I mean you no harm" to strangers.

That's because Brazilians consider showing your teeth as a sign of aggression.

>they want the other person to be happy or comfortable
Why would you want this? You don't know this person, why should you care about them?

>they've been told that not enough people smile at strangers
For good reason, it's weird.

>it really should be done
No it shouldn't.

>customer service jobs, just day-to-day grocery shopping
Jesus Christ why would I want a shopkeeper smiling at me? If you accidentally smile back you run the risk of getting into smalltalk and further delaying your shopping trip. If she smiles I have to put on an even more serious face to show her that I'm not up for it.

>why should you care about them?
Cuz Jesus or muh social justice or whatever
>it's weird.
Unless you're in a place where it's normal.
>No it shouldn't.
That's just like your opinion, man.

Tell ya what... As absolutely pleasant as you seem to be, I won't make you suffer through the agony that is casual social interaction. Have a nice morning, user.

hurr durr le infamous monkey joke again hahahah XD

I didn't ask for an autistic man's opinion.
It really, truly SHOULD be done.
I'll smile at the next Irishman I see, retard.

>Polish manlets trying to shame my bright white smile

When someone that I don't know smiles at me I instantly think that he/she is mocking me.

This.

Are all euros this autistic???

>those legs

Northern and central Europe are fucking autistic.

People smile and say hello here in the right places. Have a chat when appropriate etc.

If you're in a village for example it'd be rude not to say hello to someone you pass. Towns and cities nobody does but you can still have a chat.

Do Europeans not chat with people, like at the bus stop or with the bus driver or with the checkout lady?

Americans are polite people, therefore, you see them smiling all the time.

You should know the difference between smiling and laughing.

some do, but I rarelly see this happening

I like Americans in this point. feel relief seeing smiles. I wonder why Russians seem to have less smiles. Putin can smile?

>implying I don't know the difference

I figure it's to be polite and to show they're harmless. I used to do it, but got awkward looks

You don't say hello or thank the bus driver?

Fucking hell that's autistic

This.

The fuck? Humans make eye contact. We've evolved to be able to do this. The only things you're not meant to make eye contact with are aggressive animals like gorillas that see everything as a challenge.

kek nobody does that here

>Northern and Central Europe are autistic
It really does seem like that. I mean even here it's common to have people greet you or at the very least make eye contact. Nobody really cares if you look at them (unless you look shady as all fuck) and at worst they'll ignore you or scoff if they're angry.

>I used to do it, but got awkward looks
this tbhfam now I only reciprocate where necessary but still smile at open space sometimes because it's deep learned.

I smile at people when they make long eye contact with me.