WWII Rationing in Your Country?

Hey Cred Forums!

I've got a bit of a weird question for everyone.

I was talking to my grandmother who was in Shropshire during WWII, and she described a lot of the food rationing of the war, along with rationing of everything else imaginable

That's made me interested: what items, foods, or services were rationed in your country during WWII, or other conflicts? Any stories from your grandparents or family friends about it?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rationing_in_the_United_Kingdom
gardenguides.com/128031-tulip-bulb-toxicity.html
youtube.com/watch?v=p3vxevLuElM
youtube.com/watch?v=zdKrbjqvzak
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_famine_of_1944–45
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Rationing continued until 1954, it took us that long to recover.

>participated in WWII
>no rationing
>literally one of the best economic bpoms in mexico after the Porfiriato and before Salinas
Aww yiss, WWIII when?

NZ and Aus soldiers ate a lot of ANZAC biscuits

they were simple to make
They're very tasty too

op pic makes me feel comfy and hungry at the same time

She said it was still being done when she left in '52 for California, so that makes sense.

And damn, I can't believe you guys had to deal with that shit for that long. I got a better respect for it when I watched BBC Two's 'Wartime Farm's, easily my favorite BBC programming series. I'd highly suggest it.

But egad, rationing colored fabric? Really? That's some hardcore shit right there.

Fuck yes Anzac cookies as we call em here are the fucking SHIT. We had an old crotchety asshole down the street who was an Australian expat from Brisbane, and even though he was grumpy he always baked Anzac biscuits/cookies available when we visited; damn if they don't make you regular though.

We make em for camping trips, and for care packages; they keep for weeks out in the open.

*always made baked Anzac cookies available

Damn brain, it's way too late here

>Local leader/municipal representative had to learn Japanese within 6 months and abandon english.
My school football field was turned into mud tanks to bait bombers and the school hall became behading hall for Yurops.
>Young men don't need to go to school, they get school bus/trucks to Railway of Death
>As war goes on almost all the rice are taken by IJA, everyone eat tree barks and boiled cassava
>Bicycles taken by IJA
>Issued worthless banana leaf currency with gorillion inflation

*beheading

>"LEARN JAPANESE!"
>prints banknotes in English

800 g of rye bread
500 g of potatoes
320 g of fruits and vegetables (fresh and preserved)
170 g grains or noodles
150 g of meat
100 g of fish
50 g butter, fat or oil
35 g sugar
20 g of cookies
20 g tobacco

Dear lord... was that per week? I knew you guys had it bad, but damn. I'm going to hug my Mosin Nagant a little tighter tonight after finding that out.

a day

>And damn, I can't believe you guys had to deal with that shit for that long
In Poland we had that shit in 80's. Thank to Ruskies of course.
After costly space race there was that war in Afganistan. It was just too much for their economy so they decided to get food and other stuff from Eastern Bloc countries.
Almost everything was rationed here starting with milk and chocolate candies ending with white goods and cars.

A day? I find it hard to believe you got so much more than us.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rationing_in_the_United_Kingdom

We had potato peals, tulip bulbs and other left over shit they could find

That's more than I eat a day

Oh hang on, I haven't read the OP, this was a red army ration

Fuck, keep forgetting I don't have a Dutch flag here

That doesn't make sense with first person accounts I've read.

It might have been the ration for an officer, but I doubt it. Shit was very restricted throughout the war (and I'm not just talking about Stalingrad and Leningrad)

Whoa fuck that sucks, damn.

There is another white around that took over Bong naval bases.
Some white men with swatika came with subs called Monsoon Gruppe and took rare metals back to Yurop. They probably give local jews a free ride back to Yurop as well since they are nowhere to be found post war. Man such nice guys, too bad they never paid for the metals and rubber they took.

>We had potato peals, tulip bulbs and other left over shit they could find
Daaaaang. I'm glad my families (Van Laar's and Hekman's) left in the 1890's.

>tulip bulbs
aren't they poisonous?
gardenguides.com/128031-tulip-bulb-toxicity.html

Its called the Hunger Winter for a reason.
It was an extremely cold winter, the north was pretty much cut off, I'm looking at you US, and little food could be imported. My grandmother stillvhas stories about walking for a day to get to a farmer that had some food he could share.

I don't know how accurate it is, some people swear they ate them other say it never happened.
I do know my grandfather got extra food from the state until in the 50s because he was seriously underfed during the war. And because he got food from the state his family didn't give him food.

There were rations for the obvious stuff like bread, floor, meat, but also for non-alimentary stuff like clothes and shoes.

People in wartimes do fucked stuff in order to fill their stomach, like sometimes cutting the flour in their bread with sawdust.

We had clothing rations too, at the end of the war the cost was so high it took a years rations to buy a new coat.

>my grandmother who was in Shropshire during WWII
Was importing British women to the States a thing during the war?

In a parisian restaurant,
4 december 1870 Menu

Consommé of horse in millet
Skewer of dog's liver à la master host
Sliced cat's saddle sauce mayonnaise
Fillet dog's shoulder in tomato sauce
Civet of cat with mushrooms
Chops of dog with peas
Salmi of rats à la Robert
Gigot of dog flanked by baby rats
Plum pudding with its horse-marrow gravy

My grandparents were just telling me a few days ago about the rationing they had during their childhood (they're English)

People ate during WW2?

ww2 is overrated, they had everything lad, there was even a fucking swimming pool in Auschwitz

>pool
>not swimming in the local pond
pleb tier

will this redditor fuck off

No, but she fell in love with my grandfather and tagged along back to the states with him when he rotated from that deployment

Give it up to France to still make fancy shit from the worst foods imaginable

Or in the case of Leningrad, taking apart furniture and boiling the glue that was used in the wooden joints and eating that. Or the glue used in the binding of books. Or how about slightly freezer burnt Russian soldier calf muscle? Freshly cut from that corpse there!

It really was a fucked time.

>taking apart furniture and boiling the glue that was used in the wooden joints and eating that.
That glue was usually made from animal parts we usually eat, so it's not the stupidest thing to do. Now for the soldier corpse yeah that's pretty fucked up.

1871 New year's Menu
Croûtes au vin (pain perdu with wine instead of milk)
Sardine in oil | Kipper

Jugged cat | Rat paté
Horse's beefsteak | Coal with lean meat

Dog's leg

Chocolate rice | Plum pudding
Crèpes

Dried raisins | Gingerbread
Raspberry flavoured gelatin

Wine at will

Note: Please, bring your own bread

I never ate horse meat, but I'd love to try one of these days.

You should definitely, it's good. Slightly stronger in taste than your average cow steak, but better. It gives you more energy too.

You should, don't know why people are weirded out by it, it's good meat, they have a good life and their meat actually gets better with age so you can use them before slaughtering.

>rationing
LoL

I've never encountered anyone being weirded out by horse meat IRL desu. But anyway, I've read that horse meat is really good for us, as in it contains a lot of good stuff.

All food items, transportation (i.e petrol.) Anything that could be used by the germans in the war had some of it being forcibly bought by the Germans.

It basically just meant boring food and riding your bicycle to work. Since our infrastructure was mostly undamaged, post-war rationing was also relatively low. An additional facet is our closeness to Sweden(which had a lof of fun during the war) meant you could go there and buy stuff that'd be hard to come by in Denmark.

The greatest damage done is probably the effect it had on our cooking culture where frugality was valued above all else including taste. Resulting in depressing and bland food for decades after the war.

Mostly girls are, becaue they love riding.

Sounds like us, only they removed all the spices from Dutch food (which it had a lot, because Indonesia) in the early 20th century, also for the reason of being frugal (damn those pesky women spending your hard earned cash on spices)

You lot had it too, ersatz coffee made from roasted acorns being one thing.

thats actually quite a lot for a ration. and 20g of tobacco is practically a pack of cigarettes.

They didn't have rations because there was nothing to ration.

We didn't because we ate Jews

>wine at will
kek, gj france, my admirations

During ww2, fabric and leather was rationed, tights and lipstick too for women, soap and other hygiene products were rationed too. That's where the American soldiers saying "French people stink" comes from.
People were eating some vegetables that were normally only given to animals such as the rutabaga/swede, the Jerusalem artichoke, corn.
They were peeling their potatoes as thin as possible or not at all. The kids were scolded if it wasn't thin enough. Some people reused them to make pies.
They used endive for their make-do coffee, saccharin for sugar.
Even wine was rationed!

But why would you even peel potatoes? Their skin is the tasteful part with the most healthy things too

It's in contact with the ground, and it's toxic in some cases, and back then, bugs were nibbling more on them, so it's to get rid of all the soil and not have the taste.

I guess cleaning them without running water is a bit harder. I do buy potatoes completely covered in dirt, but I use running water and an abrasive sponge to clean them

I found a couple of videos that illustrate how little the war meant

contrast this one from 1937

youtube.com/watch?v=p3vxevLuElM

with this one from just 5 years after the war

youtube.com/watch?v=zdKrbjqvzak

You see how little changed. Not being bullied by the commies helped too. Thanks Englads.

>The adult rations in cities such as Amsterdam dropped to below 1000 kilocalories (4,200 kilojoules) a day by the end of November 1944 and to 580 kilocalories in the west by the end of February 1945.[6]
I just read up on the Hongerwinter again, that shit was extreme. It's a miracle that only 22,000 people died if you look at the number of people who were affected
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_famine_of_1944–45

They needed to check their thin privilege.

>1871
Really? That war barely took a year, and mostly consisted of the waving of white flags since you frogs decided to start a civil war right after attacking germany. What need of rationing should there have been?
Also, the very Idea and Infrastructure for rationing was only developed during WW1.