Tell me, why does everyone hate Portugal?

Tell me, why does everyone hate Portugal?
It's such a little country and looks like it gets too much hate...

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HYbEgkCv7gg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

People hate us because it's a meme to hate us, why would anyone legitimately hate us? Real hate goes to Sweden, Poland and Turkey

I don't know, but I've seen many brazilians hating on Portugal, and I don't understand that since the portuguese people I've met were really nice.

I don't hate them, I bully them because I love them (not even memeing)
They're cute

That's because they come from 55chan

Because anything less than the whole world is not enough to bring the Lusitanian man down.

Also we've had a rather apparently pathetic fall from grace, even though it was mostly just really shitty luck, and being a small country makes us an easy target. We don't take it too seriously.

Only a few. Most Brazilians and Portuguese are cool with each other.

Because it sucks.

We're the most relevant non relevant country

Also the poster-child for WE WUZ, because we actually fucking were.

i'm pretty sure any brazilian would kill to live in Portugal

We will always stand with Portugal (except that one time we didn't).

Be a German for one week and see the hate on the internet.

Portugal might actually be the best country I've come to realise
t. Not Portuguese

How could I hate our greatest ally?

Don't fucking go around telling anyone that!

My Brazilian cousin is around visiting and he did seem pretty depressed that Portugal was so calm and non-violent. He does live in Rio, and is probably one of the 3 middle-class people there.

We've already forgiven you and helped you out in WWI/WWII despite liking Hitler a fair bit. It's cool. It was mostly republican propaganda.

Portugal is one of the coolest countries ever, m8.
People are nice, clean, have good taste in food and they generally are quite down to earth on their ideas.

Most people in Cred Forums make some jokes about "t. alberto barbosa" and come up with random memes that kind of exclude portugal from the other european countries on purpose, but I'm quite sure no one has hard feelings toward them.

The brazilian guys the portuguese hate on generally are the "bad expats" as far as I can tell. It doesn't concern most brazilians as a whole.
Since (virtually) there's no language barrier between brazil and portugal, a lot of "bad people" from brazil left for portugal after the end of ww2, and as they were quite uneducated and used to behave themselves quite badly, I don't blame the portuguese for not liking them at all.

On the other hand, most portuguese people get along quite well with civilized brazilian people.
Portugal is a cool country. If you ever have a chance of visiting the place, go for it. You won't regret it.

why do people hate our country?our president plays beach volleyball with kids/teens

youtube.com/watch?v=HYbEgkCv7gg

Yeah, most non-mafia/non-favela Brazilians I've met were all pretty chill and polite actually shy as all hell, which surprised me a ton.

Always happy and smiling, too, which is weird, but not extra loud or talkative like the Spaniards who are also usually pretty chirpy.

Fucking great food, too.

Portuguese people are incredibly nice it's ridiculous. Lisbon Porto and Coimbra are nice cities but it has to be said that everything in between it is eastern europe tier poor

t. I was in portugal this summer

Are you retarded?

t. do sul

no, i love your country.

but from what i saw everything outside of cities is really fucking poor. dilapidated shacks and shit like that.

sorry for being honest.

There are other citites like viana do castelo,vila real,etc...
And portugal isn't very centralized like spain.There's alot of suburban communities and the population is well spread.At least in the west-north

>That's because they come from 55chan
This.

That place stinks nationalism, and the only way you can be a nationalist without either going separatist or pan-lusophonist is by irrational hate against Portugal.

Portuguese people are really nice. I'm thinking to go to Lisbon and Porto, and maybe Evora someday, both look like really nice cities.
That's really nice

Little bit. Population is dying and the shacks don't get repaired. Not a lot of people live in those anymore I don't think, though.

Well, they wont in 20 years for sure. Even the ones that can afford to move out don't out of stubbornness.

>I'm thinking to go to Lisbon and Porto
if you go your legs will become massive because to go anywhere youre gonna have to walk 2 km uphill, both ways (somehow)

Évora and the southern cities are a bit more isolated, but shouldn't be any worse than the US.

Évora has a spooky skeleton chapel, full of human bones on the walls/ceiling, which I don't find mentioned here too often, despite being a weird but noteworthy thing.

Fucking this. Pretty much only Aveiro is Flat.

>walking up to castelo de sao jose
>passing by packs of tourists looking like they are literally dying from the trek

Portugal is little Brazil. They're the same conceited arrogant idiots with superiority complex just like Brazilians.

>jose
jorge

if anything they have an inferiority complex imo

Did you try going on one of these? We call them "Tuk Tuk"

Eh, I think I can handle that
>Évora has a spooky skeleton chapel, full of human bones on the walls/ceiling
welp, that's exactly where I want to go. Looks pretty creepy and I like that.

nah, i would have felt like a faggot if i used those

I have the theory that most brazilians get quite excited about leaving the country for a trip, so they just smile and stay mad about "discovering" new places.
They all take tons of photos and post 'em all on their social media accounts and all of that. Funny thing is they probably save years of savings for doing the trip for just like 3 weeks, so they kind of enjoy it until the last minute. It's funny as hell, but their joy can be quite contagious sometimes.

Another thing I find interesting is that brazilian accents are quite distant from standard european portuguese. I have the vague impression most portuguese people tend to find brazilian accents quite "funny" in general, and it kind of make the conversations very interesting and informal.
That if we don't mention the differences in vocabulary and all of that. It makes the trips always interesting.
Sad those brazilians living in portugal that are favela-related are not educated enough for appreciating this kind of experience. They would see your country in a different perspective and would start enjoying it even more.

My favourite portuguese city is Evora.
You will breathe history if you ever go to that place.
It is so special it would be worth it going to europe just for visiting that place, as a matter of fact.
One of the most special places in western civilization, m8s.

Definitely an inferiority complex over a superiority one.

I've never actually been, but I think that pic is about the whole thing. There are other things to see around, though.

Coimbra is about the same, and we "have" to wear this. We really like suffering, I think.

>"If a person is a show-off, it is only because she or he feels inferior because she or he does not feel strong enough to compete with others on the useful side of life. That is why she or he stays on the useless side. She or he is not in harmony with society. It seems to be a trait of human nature that when individuals – both children and adults – feel weak, they want to solve the problems of life in such a way as to obtain personal superiority without any admixture of social interest. A superiority complex is a second phase. It is a compensation for the inferiority [feeling] complex."[2]: 260

I see Brazilians and Portuguese doing the same bullshit.

>Definitely an inferiority complex over a superiority one.
i was out drinking with these local girls, now im like 26 and have a decent amount of money and they were still uni students so i figured that i would be nice (wasnt trying to get laid and was making that pretty clear with how i was talking to them) and was like 'hey dont worry about paying for anything'

it actually offended them a little bit i think and they were like 'we're not that poor to not pay for stuff'

Yhea I forgot, I also want to see this Roman temple too. Looks amazing.

The Brazilian accents are usually syllable-timed, whereas ours are stress-timed, which makes you sound a bit naive and young, which does lighten up the mood.

It's usually weird to see what you guys have there that we don't have here and vice-versa. Like, Brazil has so much variety because of it's size, so you can find almost anything, but my cousin was absolutely fascinated when we used a pine-cone to kindle a fire, and how fast it burned. And we were all amazed that he had actually never really seen a pine cone.

It's also funny that Portugal is a "cold" place for you guys, because it's not cold for anyone else, kek.

You're right about the pictures. It's almost Asian-tier.

It's out of politeness they did that, I'd say. They generally don't expect to be paid for, especially if it's too much for them to pay, they expect it to be too much for you to pay as well. I'm sure they weren't actually offended. It's not a Portuguese hangout if you don't have a politeness fight over who gets to pay, usually. It gets a bit annoying sometimes, but it comes out of a good place, not as a display of economic superiority.

Unless you're trying to date them, then they expect the world as a test. Club-slags not included, ofc.

Because they hate their diaspora.

Only the ones who pretend they are better than everyone else when they visit back. Which usually is only French one. But the French seem to be the only ones that hate our diaspora, so there's something about luso genes in France that creates the worst cunts that nobody likes.

im portuguese american and ppls thought it was cool that i visited

you are probably a fag who buys a benfica kit and thinks hes a real portuguese person

Why are you insulting me out of no where?

I don't care at all about soccer, by the way.

My perception is that we're viewed essentially as traitors.

Only if you come back pretending to be better than everyone else. I dunno, maybe the older generation felt that, but certainly not the new guys. I doubt a family would be unhappy to see the rest of their family come back, but there are assholes everywhere, obviously. We are fairly aware that Portugal isn't the easiest place to earn a living, so we're more than understanding of people's wish to leave.

Are you from Quebec, or from the Toronto diaspora? Because they might mistake you for the french ones here.

(also, that guy is not wrong about the benfica kit, though, it happens quite a bit, with the fucking Aveques.)

I'm from a town north of Toronto.

The sense I got when I was there was that people generally viewed their diaspora as traitors and/or lessers by virtue of our inability to hack the economic conditions and prospects in the country.

I'm not a person who is overly interested in his heritage, contrary to what that American claims. I didn't advertise my ancestry when I was in Portugal and, in fact, the only reason I was there was because I was on pilgrimage to Fatima.

Well, I'm sorry you felt that way. I'm assuming you spent most of your time with older population, and that might have contributed? Language barrier AND a stronger feeling of being left behind during the regime times, maybe?

I've never seen too much hate towards diaspora, but my family's diaspora went to Brazil and we still get along pretty well after 2 generations.

I don't think it's as generalised as you are implying (or at least as I am reading), but I suppose your view does matter more though, since you were the one that felt it.

Mostly older people, yes, of the sort that would be interested in visiting holy sites like Fatima, cathedrals, and the like.

It may be that I'm generalising, I don't know. I've only been to Portugal once and didn't really prod people on what they thought of the Portuguese diaspora. I could also be misinterpreting what I was told.

Portuguese people are elitist. They are nice but still have a bit of elitism in our society so a lot of the emigrants are seen as classless people.

Comfy thread.