Russian road trips

Has anyone taken a longer (1,000km+) road-trip through Russia? How was it? What were the best and worst parts?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan-American_Highway
youtube.com/watch?v=YpufzJNrZ2Y
youtube.com/watch?v=Y1jLVdQ-KMM
youtube.com/watch?v=a8c5wmeOL9o
youtube.com/watch?v=QsJa9fQVZjA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

i've never been further than 100 km from my hometown

Let's be smart about this

There are no road trips in Russia. Russia is not America dude.

Let's think about why Americans can take road trips

>not restrictive borders

Several cities in Russia cannot be entered or exited without authorization from the military

>a system of well maintained highways connecting all parts of the country

Oligarchs in Russia control the highway system and have ensured that certain roads not be built if officials in that area don't pay up

>population that has disposable income and actual tourist attractions to go to

The average Russian lives worse than even the poorest southern state

>a homogenous society/culture

You're still considered an American if you go from Maryland to Oregon. In Russia, a similar distance will take you from whites speaking Russian to Asian people speaking a local dialect

Don't be stupid.

fuck off retard

in european part of russia (from Smolensk to Ural mountains) its not very interesting, just boring.
Something interesting can be happened in russian north (Karelia, Ladoga and Onega lakes) and in some parts of Siberia like Yakutia.
I travelled from Moscow to Khibiny mnt, Minsk, Astrakhan, Vladikavkaz and worked in the east part of Yakutia (around Aldan river), ask for your answers.

>You're still considered an American if you go from Maryland to Oregon. In Russia, a similar distance will take you from whites speaking Russian to Asian people speaking a local dialect

I call bullshit, i don't want to travel thousands of kilometers by land just to arrive to a place that has the same shops restaurants department stores etc, i want to see something unique in that place, try new food etc, and i met lots of russian travellers when i was in central asia so the culture is definitely there albeit to a lesser extent than the western world

But in Russia you must travel at least about 400 km, if you want see significal changes in life and nature. And it is significal for russians, i think, you woldn't see the difference between Moscow and Novgorod, Voronezh and Rostov.
Russia is too big and deserted, really. If you want to see really big differences, you must go to the mountains. I visited Georgia this summer and it have fantastic diversity of nature, culture, architecture and traditions. And lots of Israel tourists everywhere, lol.

i was told it's cool, tho you have to travel far to see the differences like said

Vast beautiful nature but Russia's infrastructure is ass, so traveling to it will be hideously expensive.

Yeah i know, i hate going to areas filled with israeli tourists they ruin everything for everyone, but i think this phenomena is more recognized in south america and india, i know about georgia but i'm not sure what is the quality of israelis there, i'd imagine abit more decent since it's less popular overall, in central asia i've met like 4 israelis and they were really nice people, so depends where you go i suppose.

Not so expensive, about 50-100$ for 1000 km by bus or train. Flight infrastructure realy in ass, but you need about a 24 hours to arrive to every place in european part of russia by bus or car. And you don't need to travel Siberia because in it there is only nature and japaneze cars, it hasn't got any historic places and interesting buildings.

can you drive there with a normal car in summer?

>it hasn't got any historic places and interesting buildings

"On this spot in 1994, Boris Yeltsin was found sleeping in his underwear next to an empty liquor bottle."

>Siberia because in it there is only nature
thats precisely why its so interesting to me.

if i want to see human articfacts, i dont need to leave (western) europe.

Very good experience, you can see change of climate zones.

>Several cities in Russia cannot be entered or exited without authorization from the military

These are all hidden in the outskirts far away from highways.

Sounds like cold war mythology.

>Several cities in Russia cannot be entered or exited without authorization from the military
There's is nothing to do there and they are always in the middle of nowhere.

>Oligarchs in Russia control the highway system and have ensured that certain roads not be built if officials in that area don't pay up
it's not the root of the problem. Officials just do not build the road if they do not see a potential profit. Most of existing roads are just a soviet legacy and their condition is inferior.

>The average Russian lives worse than even the poorest southern state
Truth. But traveling isn't so costly.

>You're still considered an American if you go from Maryland to Oregon. In Russia, a similar distance will take you from whites speaking Russian to Asian people speaking a local dialect
Anyway everyone is speaking russian there and it's even interesting to open the new cultures which are not so depressed and struck by alcoholism.

>There's is nothing to do there and they are always in the middle of nowhere

I mean, OP probably doesn't work for the CIA.

Russian magistral roads now have satisfactory quality and you can drive in it with not only a normal car. I travelled 1000 km from Moscow to Rostov this summer on something like Fiat 124, it was hard experiment, but not the challenge. Another roads between big cities are satisfactory too. but not so good like road to Rostov.
An exception is Yakutia. In Yakutia you will not see any roads. In principle.
That sounds like Baikal or Kamchatka, but I am biologists and saw only nature in nature reserves. We haven't got any normal national parks, so you can't go and inspect nature in reserves if you don't work in it. And I don't know about destruction of nature around reserves.

In Yakutia one of local gold miners found "nature memorial" (kind of reserves in Russian laws) on slagheaps of his mine. He just saved money for recultivation of that slagheaps.

>biologist
selfix

Drove from Uzice, Serbia to Anadyr, Russia.

It was rather uneventful family.
Beautiful nature throughtout Russia, but not much else there (well speaking of non-european part of it)

There are some pretty smaller cities, the villages range from modern, nice looking ones, to nearly abandoned.

Bigger cities, are just like everywhere else.
They have more what you would refer to as industrial cities than most, but they can still be rather nice looking.

Cheap heating is always a plus, cheap gasoline.

Surprising thing was, there was wi-fi coverage almost everywhere, at every stop I made.

And they have these cheap cards which give you internet access pretty much anywhere in Russia.

Roads are fine.
Up northeast towards anadyr they get progressively worse, but they're driveable.
I've seen worse roads in Macedonia, Bulgaria, Turkey to be honest.

No, I just took a train to China then from there on to Hong Kong.

>Tynda

Are they all on Tinder in said city?

>it hasn't got any historic places and interesting buildings.
t. knower

Two years ago i drive from Moscow to St. Petersburg. it was about 700km. Road was pretty good.
I've heard in Yaroslavl there is only two road, but one of them fucking destroed and man drive is very slowly on this shit.
U need just buy russian car like UAZ, because only russian cars can survive russian road. And this shit easy to fix and parts cost low.

Yes, from Murmansk to Moscow
are there actual roads past Magadan?

>Russian road trip

>Russia
>roads
pick one

only in summer and winter when all dirt is frozen

Speaking of roads in the far east, when are you going to build a bridge over the Lena to Jakutsk?

Tbf, I'd love to do a Road Trip in Russia, ideally from Chukotka to Finland, but I take it there aren't any roads in many of those parts.

A Road Trip on the Pan-American Highway would also be pretty based depending on safety: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan-American_Highway

>it's an americans pretending russia is just like america episode

>Magadan
Dirt roads mostly

never)) welcome to Russia)

True, my co-worker bought a car in Vladivostok and made a trip to Moscow. but he is Russian and before this trip found out on internet forums how to do it safe.

Imagine that you are driving through a ghetto. Now imagine you do it for 1000+km

Vladivostok to Moscow is not dangerous to be honest.

As long as you stick to the southern portions of Russia, where there are well established roads, no chances of getting lost or being stuck for weeks in case of a malfunction.

Travel the same route in the north though, not so safe.

Someday when I have the time and money I would like travel from Moscow to Beijing by train, stopping at various places along the way. It seems like it would be a good time.

Bering Sea bridge when?

Sounds fascinating 2bh. Russia sounds like an even bigger America in terms of scenery, although the infrastructure doesn't really allow us to see most of it.

Like this? youtube.com/watch?v=YpufzJNrZ2Y

european russia - ok, but 2rd and 3rd rate roads can be dangerous to wheels and suspesion
over-ural - dangerous. need an experience, number of emergency services etc. and if you ride somewhere deep and lonely, better to report your location and the distance(days or km) of trip to MЧC so they will know where to find you(or your body)

>Bering Sea bridge when?
youtube.com/watch?v=Y1jLVdQ-KMM

youtube.com/watch?v=a8c5wmeOL9o

Bump for Road Tripping.

youtube.com/watch?v=QsJa9fQVZjA