Why do Americans refrigerate the eggs?

Why do Americans refrigerate the eggs?

Other urls found in this thread:

gizmodo.com/why-the-british-dont-refrigerate-their-eggs-1604297251
fda.gov/Food/ResourcesForYou/Consumers/ucm261680.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=LJwO5SdGcLk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Do Euros seriously not refrigerate their eggs?

>he refrigerates eggs
Nice """"culture""" youve go there

We do it in Norway too, it's because we treat the eggs to kill bacteria and thus, funny enough, ruins the eggs natural resistance to bacteria and we have to keep it cold to prevent contaminating it.

Brit talking about food culture, lul.

Cultural memes (if your mom and grandma did it why wouldnt you?) and probably because all of our food growing practices are disgusting

I assume our bleched white eggs are susceptible to some kind of disease shit, but it might also just be a requirement made by the FDA to manufacturers that then becomes a recommendation for the consumer

I don't always put mine in there though, and when i didnt have a fridge i would leave out butter and cheese and veggies, all i couldnt have long-term was milk and meat, everything else was fine

oh, and we dont live a nice little stroll or bus ride away from grocery shopping, many of us live a half hour drive or more from a grocery store, so we buy in bulk and try to store things for long durations so we dont have to make trips as often, making fridge/freezer an important tool in that

It's really the same reason here

Better than yours

It's a joke. Europeans refrigerate their eggs too.

My kitchen has a large window and gets pretty hot during the afternoon, I guess eggs would turn bad left in a +30°C room

>I assume our bleched white eggs are susceptible to some kind of disease shit

when i said this, this is what i was referring to but due to amerishoot education i am not so eloquent

I always refrigerate eggs but that doesn't make me american

Our fridges come with compartments for eggs so I just put them in there

To keep them fresh

You don't?

Ok everyone. Supermarkets don't store their eggs in fridges. Not one of them.

They store them on shelves.

There's no need to put eggs in the fridge.

I keep my eggs on the fridge.

If it has been refrigerated in the store (illegal here) you should probably keep it that way else they will sweat which allows bacterial growth...

Nobody I know does, maybe it's a rural thing though. A lot of our eggs come straight from the hen.

>They store them on shelves.
They keep them in the same kind of refrigerated shelves that they keep the meat on

Eggs are refrigerated where I live.

Where do europoors keep their eggs? In the pantry? Why would you do that if you have a nice comfy fridge that's safer.

Not in Europe. They store them on normal shelves.

gizmodo.com/why-the-british-dont-refrigerate-their-eggs-1604297251

Wrong

Because we wash them, thus washing off the protective layer present on the eggs, meaning that they have a shorter shelf life here unrefrigerated. Also, contrary to what might be implied elsewhere in the thread, we do not bleach our eggs; white eggs are just the most popular type, but there are several brown eggs available in a supermarket.

doubt.jpg

This. in the US.

Ok well then in UK and Ire

I guess that explains why we refridgerate our eggs in Sweden too.

today I learned

Not him, but eggs are supposed to be stored at room temp for x days, and afterwards may be stored some extra y days at fridge temp (so say most egg carton labels)
So maybe you in your ever balmy climate use them up quickly enough it never becomes an issue. Here we can have heatwaves up to 40C though and even inside it can approach 30 (almost nobody has AC here thanks to Greentards and the resulting sky high electricity prices), which drastically shortens the "room temp" storage interval at least in those times, so we at least sometimes need to cool them

>it's because we wash them
>we don't bleach our eggs
>american cuisine is better than british
MAXIMUM BAIT

>we do
>we don't
>subjective, but while UK's food culture is alri,the US is also pretty comfy, although tbf the """American""" shit from McEnnedy doesn't really show us in a positive light

Or am I being baited myself?

Didn't know this, thanks. This makes me feel a little better about buying super market eggs.

Eggs here go thru a cleaning and pasteurization process, then need refrigeration to preserve them short term. Pickling and other methods can be use for long term.

But really, for any Americans who haven't tried it, ask around for family/friends/coworkers and see if anyone you know or are around keeps egg-laying hens. Often people with hens have many more eggs than their family needs and you can buy some surplus.
Fresh eggs are different, and I really enjoy them.

Because the egg shell absorbs everything it gets in contact with. So it's very easy for an egg to be contaminated.
In the food regulation bible HACCP, it states the eggs must be storaged at a temperature of 5ºC

We also wash our eggs here but the reason you need to refrigerate yours is because you blast them with radiation you retard

And yes you do bleach your eggs, that's why white eggs are the most common, it's extremely rare for a chicken to shit out a 100% white egg

>British food
Fry ups
Sausage rolls
Fish and chips
Toad in the hole
Shepherds pie (might be Irish)
>US food
Deepfried coke
Deepfried butter
McDonalds
Everything is processed rubbish
You have absolutely no American cuisine worth mentioning, your best one is pizza and even that is Italian

I've never seen them refrigerated in a market (dunno in southern Spain) although I put them in the fridge because they have a place there.

The UK introduced mass poultry salmonella vaccination in 1998, so about 80% of eggs are from vaccinated chickens and have this symbol stamped on them.

You have even hotter summers than us, won't your eggs spoil in 2-3 days when it's 45 outside? Or do you all have AC?

Real American food is the best on the planet, but it's not healthy.

>Short Ribs
>Brisket
>T-bone
>Chicken Fried Steak
>BBQ

Oh god I'm hungry

Faggots, bet you don't put ketchup, mustard or mayo in the fridge.

Mayo goes in the fridge yes

I keep my eggs out and they're fine. What do you think happens to an egg if humans don't come and collect them?

Out of curiosity, do you industrially wash your eggs? And actually egg color comes from the breed of chicken; the white-egg chickens are smaller than the brown-egg chickens and thus need to be fed less; white eggs are thus the cheapest and therefore most popular.

And also see , with my agreement that it isn't really the best for you if you're sedentary.

Mustard spoils and separates if you don't refrigerate it. Anyone who likes warm Mayo needs to die.

Ketchup doesn't live in the fridge Slawomir

OK I'm defending the american for once: whil american food isn't really innovative, they manage to create new good from foreign food. Hotdogs, Burgers and Chicken wings are, while not being the highest cuisine, still very good food that has its place in western society. British food is barely seen outside the UK while you have american food nearly in every western country.

>Burgers
>Chicken wings
Not American

we do

The only british food people actually eat outside your rainy island is deep fried fish and deep fried potatoes.

Meh, you're only slightly less obese than them (and we slightly less compared to you)
Traditional NW Euro cuisine just is fatty and hearty, was necessary in olden times to overcome winter, but nowadays has become a burden.
Still prefer our cuisines to light faggy Med shit though personally, as sometimes you just need those calories

>the reason you need to refrigerate yours is because you blast them with radiation you retard
Explain why you think this.

Fertilised one? Eventually develops embryo and hatches
Unfertilised one? Spoils, and the warmer the faster, exponentially so

You're making us look bad, retard.

>Fertilised one? Eventually develops embryo and hatches
Key word "eventually". If you take 2 months to go through a carton than refrigerating them is probably beneficial, if not it's unnecessary.

It's US government policy

fda.gov/Food/ResourcesForYou/Consumers/ucm261680.htm

What's that Skippy? A dingo is stealing my baby? Strewth!

Been a while since I've had bbq ribs myself.

No he's not. They do irradiate eggs.

Seriously Lee.

Yeah, because in Spain we only eat tomatoes and not more meat than most northern europeans.

Explain how they're related, what about radiation makes them need to be refrigerated? To prevent the radiations multiplying?

>it's because we treat the eggs to kill bacteria

I thought that was illegal on your continent

Is this the power of not being part of the EU?

Do people in your country eat/cook with fertilized eggs? In the US they're unheard of 2bh.

Exactly the same reason as the US, 2bh. Greatest ally.

IIRC the recommendation is 1 week max at normal room temp (20C), but shorter (3 days or so) when it's 30C, after that you can still move and store them in the fridge for another 5 or so days
If cooking mostly for just yourself and only using egg as ingredient in sauces etc (I don't like em pure, and don't make an egg sauce daily either and even when I do I use mostly just 1, max. 2), the usual 10 pack sold here will last you for a while

>europeans don't pasteurize their milk
>they prefer it "e. coli enhanced"

The radiation kills everything, e-coli, salmonella, and the residual cellular life within the egg. It spoils much faster, like cooked food, necessitating the need to refrigerate.

>American reading comprehension

Yes we do. Raw milk is highly dangerous and almost impossible to buy commercially.

General question to user:

Are bagels popular in your country? They may originate from Poland but we love them here. All manner of coffee shops, bakeries and even dedicated bagel shops make them easy to find. We generally either use them to make sandwiches or spread cream cheese on them.

There's nothing unhealthy about brisket, unless you're just generally anti-meat.

But it's true, we have done a lot with low temperature cooking to tenderize traditional tough meats like briskets. Very good.

Also, if anyone is really interested in food history, americans have done quite a bit with the earliest forms of chemical leavening.

I also like some American foods like:
The club sandwich
Reuben sandwich
Clam chowder (new england or manhattan, both good)
Pumpkin Pie

The st louis style ribs at costco are fucking fantastic and easy to make. I recommended.

our laws against pasteurized milk are overbearing and stupid. I know pasteurization is a good thing but that doesn't mean adults shouldn't be able to buy and consume unpasteurized milk and certain french cheeses

I drank a lot of raw milk from my grandparent's farm but it was boiled.

Which is irrelevant because a refrigerated irradiated egg lasts a week longer than an unirradiated egg at room temperature

It's also much hotter in the US than in Europe, the coastal Northern states are roughly comparable to the climate of the Mediterranean

>buy big pack eggs (25+)
>exactly the same eggs but 20% cheaper per egg
>lasts over a month if you put them in the refridgerator
I'm just not retarded I guess

>They may originate from Poland
""""poland""""

Got a citation that says a process which kills the contaminants responsible for spoilage necessitate refrigerating to prevent spoilage?
>like cooked food
>cooked animal products spoil faster

>our laws against pasteurized milk are overbearing and stupid. I know pasteurization is a good thing but that doesn't mean adults shouldn't be able to buy and consume unpasteurized milk and certain french cheeses
Agreed 2bh.

polish jews, brah

I doubt most people notice, that white blob at the bottom right means fertilised.

We have the same shit on our fridges too negro

Well, I'll be damned. Known fertilized eggs (i.e., those with identifiable fetuses/embryos) are unknown and would probably freak people out here. That being said, factory farm hens probably never meet a single rooster in their life so it's still likely that they're not fertilized at all.

We indulge on heavy carbs though, wheat-, potato-,... based stuff is often a "side dish" that actually makes up more then half of the calories of a meal here (salty potatoes, pan-baked ones, oven rosemary ones... for wheat-based stuff noodles are on the table almost every other day)
I just wouldn't feel full after let's say a single chicken wing with 3 olives, a sliced cherry tomato, a 1cm^3 cube of cheese and two leaves of salad on the side, to construct my stereotypical S Euro dinner - sure it's probably healthier but not filling.
Then again I usually eat only once per day (aside from snacking on tomatoes, strawberries, raspberries, bell peppers, figs, watermelons... from the garden during spring/summer/autumn)

"polish"

This is particularly true of Breakfast. In America Eggs and Bacon or Biscuits and Gravy is a typical breakfast to start the day off.

What were they then?

>I guess eggs would turn bad left in a +30°C room
no, they wouldn't.

Not him but look it up. The irradiation combined with the universal washing can lead to trans-shell passage of contaminants and microbes.

The irradiation process definitely shortens non-fridge shelf life.

Mexicans keep eggs on the fridge except for quail eggs. Other things we keep in the fridge:
Mayonaise
Mustard
Ketchup
Hot Sauce
Worcestershire Sauce
Bananas

In my experience it's pretty much just cereal for most people. Or like, pop tarts and some shit.

If it was eggs and bacon we'd be better off

wir sind DEUTSCH not bolish ok. praise yaweh

Nigga, I'm from Galicia, just this evening I was harvesting them in the farm of my grandfather so I basically get an infinity supply of them.

About the dinner, our heavy meal is the lunch and not all spanish dishes are what you eat in a bar in Majorca when it's 45°C.

Also true; if you're on the road and at a Diner somewhere my point still stands, but yeah, some cheap stuff like that is also common.

>Bananas

actually a good idea to stop those fucking little flies

In the USA our chickens are not vaccinated against salmonella, and the eggs are washed after being laid. This requires them to be refrigerated.

youtube.com/watch?v=LJwO5SdGcLk

I'm anosmic so sometimes hidden things go off in my room without me knowing and it's like a tiny plague has descended on me.
Fuck bananas.

Actually, you're not eating a Hen's fetuses when you eat her eggs, since the vast majority of them are unfertilized. You're eating her period.

>Pig snouts
The Celtic connection up to Iceland seems to be real after all...
Memes aside, never had that, better worse than a pig neck or back steak?
Also was in Mallorca only 1992 and 95 as small child, will never visit again (unless having family of my own and going to the "family friendly" areas, but sangria-slurping table-dancing Jürgen Drews growling bydlos need to be gassed desu)

>Not him but look it up.
Nah, you and """"the other radiophobic Irish retard"""" can do it if you like.

It's my favorite part of the pig's head. Yesterday I had tongue and intestines as tapas. We eat a lot of pork, not as much as danes, though.

Bananas? Do you keep other fruit in there or just them? Some fruit here is kept refrigerated and some isn't.

Here the store will sell some fruits refrigerated and some not, so I assume people just refrigerate it at home if it was done that way at the store:

Refrigerated: Berries (strawberry, blueberry), grapes, cherries

Not: Citrus fruit (orange, grapefruit, lemon), mango, melon, banana, coconut, apples, pears, peaches, plums

>Eggs last a few weeks at room temp
>Eggs last a few Months refrigerated

Why do Latvians not have refrigerators? Did USSR steal them all?

Unless you buy 36 eggs at once from Walmart this isn't really an issue.

Mango and citrus fruit go into the refrigerator

Mmmmmh, but sharters go to the Mart once per month.

I thought that everyone refrigerates eggs

Interesting. I was thinking if someone was going to put something else in the fridge more than us they'd pick something that you normally eat the skin off of. Like apple or plum.

All citrus? Lemon, lime, orange, grapefruit etc?

Citrus no because of the peel, but Mango yes.

>In the UK, though, farmers prioritize producing "clean eggs at the point of collection, rather than trying to clean them afterwards."
There's no such thing as a "clean egg at the point of collection" because the egg passes through a cloaca, which is a combined anus/pussy/urethra opening. Every single bird egg that ever existed was (externally)contaminated with fecal bacteria at the point of origin. Salmonella spp is a common enteric bacteria in Amphibians, Reptiles, and Birds. You do the math.

I think they vaccinate hens.

can confirm

british """cuisine"""

>Ketchup doesn't live in the fridge Slawomir
implying

All fruit when it reaches the ripe point.
Bananas even if they are green.

Because they are sold refrigerated.

Off by one

Dubs get .

>they'd pick something that you normally eat the skin off of
How so? In terms of it lasting longer it doesn't really matter since apples, pears and so on are meant to be consumed quickly.

They still last longer in the fridge and I don't use nearly enough to use them before they go bad (outside the fridge)

>They still last longer in the fridge
do they though?

>Bananas
Absolutamente demente

I don't see any reason why that wouldn't be the case.

Americans also put their ketchup in fridge. Weird people.

As a generally rule, even if when you buy something that is sold at room temp, once we break the seal and open it for the first time, we have a tendency to keep it in the fridge.

Not 100% with all things, but with many.

>British food is barely seen outside the UK
The chocolate bar is British.

It says that irradiation is approved for eggs. Nobody actually does it outside of pasteurized liquid egg for commercial applications. Eggs in the shell are not irradiated because they would decay in a matter of days, not months, if we did so.

"X is legal" does not equal "X is the actual industry practice"

Vaccinating against something that is a normal part of a healthy bird microbiome? Do your chickens have diarrhea all the time from their Salmonella-free guts?