What were they thinking?!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Hy4QjmKzF1c
cian.ru/snyat-kvartiru-moskva-yasenevo-04111/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

what am i looking at

Orestad in Copenhagen.

What's the problem? It's based.

This looks really nice. Give it a few more years, permanent residents and a good connection to the rest of the city and it could work. The biggest problem is probably too much free space within the quarter. People like more densely populated areas with a comfy feeling.

needs more commie blox

literally simcity

Man I wish that was true. It's literally the exact opposite here in the states.

Pic related is my dream city. I would love to live in a place like that.

But it doesn't really exist in America.

>>What were they thinking?!
>The area of Orestad is 3.1 km2, being about 600 metres wide and 5 km long.
What the fuck indeed.
More commieblocks is always better.

I feel patriotic for the motherland just looking at that.

Russian domination of the world is only inevitable comrade.

you're all terrible people, why the fuck would you live in a commieblock when there is open land right next to it where you can own your own land and house

>[
This idea of just planting blocks of infrastructure and housing and somehow a city will develop seems to be very common. Wolfsburg, the workers camp that calls itself a city around the Volkswagen plant, was built in a similar way.

Britty nice

It's more efficient and people don't turn into fat anti social assholes who just drive around isolated in their cars avoiding human contact as much as possible.

A commie block is not what I described. I mean 4-6 level housing directly a the street as in this picture: That's how modern new city quarters are developed.
Here is a How To for your next city: youtube.com/watch?v=Hy4QjmKzF1c

>people don't turn into fat anti social assholes
Yeah right. I live in a commieblock and I don't know any of my neighbors.

They weren't.

Absurd SimCity-like city planning is the result of globalism and a mayor that has too much money to burn, no vision and needs votes. The organic growth of a city, free from planning and centralization, is one of the main aspects of what makes a city worth living in.

What are the odds of finding qt slav gf in commie neighborhood?

20th century was a mistake.

You can't even inagine how comfy it is to have a dozen of fastfood places, 24-hour convenience stores, take-aways, supermarkets within a 5 minute walking distance from your flat.

Looks like a half done Sim City game lmao

What's wrong with that?
Commieblocks are okay. Owning your house costs more, both due to taxation and expenditures for heating, water, etc. Also I just don't feel comfortable in a private house in 1st floor. Living in a 15th floor in 3 bedroom flat is the best choice. Nice view from window, fresh air. If you wanna have fun outdoors you can go to a park nearby or go to the commieblock yard and drink beer with friends. Also social inequality is kinda softened by commieblocks. In one house you may have people of all wealth, whose children all going to the same school in a yard. It's not like in the West with their ghettos and gated communities.

Practically every city in America is a master planned shithole.

Half a year is possible snowfall = traffic jams suburb. Huge costs for maintenance of roads and communications, energy wastefulness. Kommiblok much more economical to heat.

What are the odds of finding qt slav gf in commie neighborhood?
Quite high, as the neigbourhood in that picture has 170 000 residents.

>The organic growth of a city, free from planning and centralization
Is my city organic then? Definitely very little planning or centralization

It needs to have a good balance between order and variety.
Please, take a look at the video youtube.com/watch?v=Hy4QjmKzF1c

*not too chaotic, not too ordered
*visible life
*compact
*orientation and mystery
*scale
*make it local

These are the main points in the video. Really interesting watch

>The organic growth of a city, free from planning and centralization
Top kek. Old part of the Moscow is like that. And you know what? It's dying because of traffic. And how the fuck is globalism connected to city planning?

Don't think you know what a commieblock is, they are built for effectiveness and are commonly of poor quality. This is not.

Stop saying every block of apartments is a commieblock, it's stupid.

Lol no, it is planned from construction companies building auto-oriented horizontal tract housing out out and out.

How do those commieblocks look from the inside?
They don't seem to be well maintained

Some people might like that, but that would suck the life and soul out of me.

There are lots of unplanned organic cities in the U.S., but unfortunately most Americans find it more practical to buy pre-built cookie cutter houses in planned cities and it actually became a symbol of status.

Roads are not the only thing to consider when talking about natural growth in a city. The architecture, the placement of buildings, where it is built, etc.

Trick question. Houston is a parking lot, not a city.

>and people don't turn into fat anti social assholes

That's the other way around actually.

Moscow isn't a good example, it's been through hell and back throughout the centuries and Russians are exactly good at architecture.

That is the most American city I've ever seen

The worst part is most people actually want that here.

*Russians aren't exactly good at architecture
Fixed.

That's because the alternative is sharing public transit with dindus. In Europe you can ride a streetcar without the fear of a chimpout.

Meh at least it's free and plentiful.

He was talking about city planning not housing developments.

Not really talking about the commieblocks, just the pedestrian focused low rise condos and apartments many european cities have.

Looks okay, mine is picreleated. Their quality is good, it depends more on furniture etc.

Someone shop le happy merchant onto this please

>He was talking about city planning not housing developments.

>These two aren't related in way

Wanna rethink that?

Even bumfucknowhere can look good and homely if you drop the planned brutalism/modernism architecture faggotry.

Or a concrete jungle like Tokyo can look comfy. One thing can be both organized and chaotic at the same time.

>it's been through hell and back throughout the centuries
It wasn't. City was growing with no regulations or plan until soviets. We had fire in 1812 but it didn't changed street plan. And it resulted is the shittiest planning possible. Chaotic structure leads to improbable traffic, overcrowded streets etc. Map of Moscow is picreleated. Only in USSR they have started planning the city so the new neighborhoods became pretty okay but soviets hadn't touched city centre which was a mistake. It would be better to ruin it to the ground and make planned system of streets and avenues like in NY.

Those all look like office blocks. The residential areas are to the left of it. Do you want people to put their offices in space wasting single story buildings, too?

Switch to pedestrian focus.

There is comprehensible steps to eliminate the need for cars in major cities.

I think both Copenhagen and Hamburg are trying to this.

My hood. Yasenevo. Comfy as hell, 10/10. Would like all the world to have architecture like that.

The weird thing is that they are building these massive glass towers, but once you step inside, the architects try to make it appear as oldschool and homely as possible.

Like I said in roads are not the only aspect of city planning. The invisible hand of the government can play a big part in how a city grows, communist or capitalist.

>How do those commieblocks look from the inside?
Here's some apartments for rent, starting at about 430$/month, take a look.
cian.ru/snyat-kvartiru-moskva-yasenevo-04111/
As if you had any in the first place, m8.

Where is that picture from? No way it's a north american city.

at least it'll be easier to convert that space into something useful once self-driving cars become ubiquitous

It's not.

Looks nice. What's the problem?

In Moscow you can live without a car easily because our public transport system is based. But you certainly need car if you live in Moscow but work outside of it because in surrounding region transport is shit. Also I have a car just as hobbie, tuning and riding it in the evening on a streets of hood or highways around the city.

Why would self driving cars make personal car ownership decrease?

>there are new high rise developments being built right now that still don't follow a planting plan and will forever remain grey blocks on all sides

You have good taste in cities brazilbro, are you an urban planner?

Must suck for you, because from what I say Brazilians cities are mostly modern concrete and glass boxes.

see*

A lot of reasons but even assuming that doesn't happen and you take your own slef driving car all over the place just active the valet app on your car and have it drop you off then park somewhere else far away.

I'm not, but yeah, Brazil is an architectural shithole along many other types of shitholes. There are a few exceptions, though.

I don't think that's realistic at all because it would only generate even more traffic if the car not only drove you into the city but then drove itself back out again and then into the city again to pick you up and then out again, unless you make self driving cars an interconnected perfectly driving hive that doesn't need red lights or anything, which only works when you ban human controlled cars altogether. Car sharing is a far more realistic approach.

nice

Even snow wastelands can look nice.

Generating more traffic doesn't matter even if you are in the car if driving doesn't require your attention. Poor people wouldn't care because they would use automated rideshares and everyone else would ride self-driving cars.

It wouldn't even have to go very far, just set up some giant carpark towers outside the city center. Using super expensive and potentially productive city space to park cars is ridiculous.

>would be better to ruin the comfy historical center to the ground
>would like all the world to have architecture like that
Yeah, Russians are definitely not good at architecture
kys

>Car sharing is a far more realistic approach.
Just use a taxi...

This practice is slowly dying unfortunately.

Now there are different kinds of commieblocks: econom, business, comfortable so on. So we started economic segregation.

Flats in top class commieblock could easily cost 200 mln roubles or more. Though they are twice the size of American house.

taxis are crazy expensive

Maybe generating more traffic doesn't matter in Murrika where all roads are eight lane anyway, but it does elsewhere where road planning has always been restricted by existing buildings. There's only so much space on roads to work with, and as I said unless self driving cars are interconnected and human controlled cars are banned, more traffic will inevitably bring the roads closer to a clog.

Those red-hot houses on the right were one of the last soviet inventions: KOPE class house.

They have 6 room flats up to 140 sq. meters.

They were supposed to replace old commieblocks.

I was talking about reusing parking spaces in sprawling American cities, Housten specifically. Does yurop even have massive parking lots like America does? I always just see you guys parking streetside in super choked up tiny roads.

And I was talking about congestion, thank you very much. In city centers the predominant parking form are stacked or underground carparks. With the current expanse of traffic parking generally isn't as much of an issue as the traffic itself.

Why had we to destroy communism :C
It wasn't that bad after all.

Just use proper multi-storey car parks. Land is just too cheap in most areas since city governments don't want to increase density. If they just taxed car park area, corporations would use land more efficiently.

Nah, I didn't mean that. It's just interesting

There is even modernised version of KOPE, KOPE-M Tower. Flat planning is pic related.

>one more try

>Edinburgh
>Free from planning and centralisation

The entire 'New Town' was completely planned out and designed to centralise the city around Princes Street. Everything beyond the main street still looks nice and is pretty cosy t.b.h.

It's not city planning that's the problem, but hiring architects who have no intension of designing buildings that fit with the look and feel of the city.

t. Edinburgher

Me neither. I even lived a year or two without knowing a guy I knew in elementary school lived right next door.

American suburbs are pretty poorly-designed. Here's an image from a slideshow by a development company in Denver. It indicates on the photo where the nearest restaurants are - they are fast-food chains about a KM away.

>Owning your house costs more, both due to taxation
Like paying 5000 rub a year instead of 500 rub?
That barely makes a difference.
>heating
Kek, gas heating is dirt cheap, you'll be paying the same money for 250m2 house as you pay for 50m2 apartment.
The main reasons why most people don't live in their own houses are higher prices (roughly 3 times or so for an average house) and bad infrastructure with long commute. Russian real estate developers mostly don't know how to build a proper neighborhood and even when they know, they don't care since the profit is all they care of.
>I just don't feel comfortable in a private house in 1st floor
I bet you don't even know what it's like to live in your own house so you probably imagine it like living in a 2-store coomieblock?
>Nice view from window
Nice view it is your own yard with grass and flowers and trees with a lake on the background. But I love urban views as well, so I agree, the view from a commieblock could be nice too, it's just you mostly see other dull grey commieblocks instead of something nice.
>fresh air
>in an overcrowded city with lots of commieblocks
Oh, come on, even if you live on a 15th floor, the air just can't be that fresh as in low-density neighborhoods.
>If you wanna have fun outdoors you can go to a park nearby
Public park is a good thing, obviously, but I guess you just don't understand what your own yard is.
>go to the commieblock yard and drink beer with friends
Ultimate bydlo-tier.
>social inequality is kinda softened by commieblocks
Implying it's a good thing. So normal people don't have a choice but to see some low-life scum drinking beer and shouting every day under their windows. What a great thing USSR did, pretending that people are equal, when alcoholics and professors live next door.
>It's not like in the West with their ghettos and gated communities
Yeah, it's like one endless giant ghetto.

Make a new thread in 2 days, Its week 4

Where is this? Looks like my nightmare.

See

Montreal is about the closest you'll get in North America, also San Fran and Boston have their charms. A lot of European cities like that look quaint and are nice to visit but really they're just glorified museums. I prefer the grit of the New World.

>using Edinburgh as an example of an unplanned city
you dun goof'd lad

Picture is Old Town, lad.

I was talking about communism when I said 'one more try'.

Yeah I know, I meant about /flag/. Unless you dont need the script anymore

Oh hi, Botanon, didn't even realize your regional flags. Alright, I'll make the thread in two days.

Repair, communication, road cleaning, communal payments, gas, water, electricity and so on and so on.

House is good when you're rich and when the land is near the city.

looks fucking horrible. i'd rather walk down the wide urban streets.

>Repair
Like changing the roof every 10-15 years or so? It won't cost a fortune.
>communication
The same.
>road cleaning
You don't need to pay for that everywhere. Where I lived
>communal payments
Even lower. You don't live in a commieblock, you don't have to pay for repairing your block every month.
>gas
Dirt cheap anyway
>water
You don't have to pay half of your bills for hot water if you have a gas boiler.
>electricity
Like 1500rub instead of 1000rub.

Reminder that vertically packed neighborhoods are literally just labor reserves not meant for 'living'. It's dehumanising.

This is the essence of Moscow's planning/

>Where I lived
One of my neighbors, where I lived before, had his own tractor and was cleaning the road every morning after the snowfall.
If you're an extreme poorfag you can cleat it yourself. If you're not, it still doesn't cost you that much, it doesn't snow every day.

ooga booga banana

>It needs to have a good balance
HOLY SHIT WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT

MIND = BLOWN

are they sure there are enough rails?

Moscow is the biggest transport hub in Russia, so what did you expect? It has planning, not the worst one.