Forgetting your own language

Anyone else here not know how to speak their own native language anymore, because you only ever had to use English?

Nee

I still understand it and haven't completely forgotten it, but yeah, more or less.
It's what happens when all you do is sit on the internet all day for a whole decade.

Yeah I still understand it for the most part, but its the shittiest feeling in the world sometimes.

English is my native language and I mess up on it alot, I "know" the proper way to speak but grew up around ESL speakers. I speak a couple other langs and I'm studying Korean now and I find myself kind of blending elements of all of them sometimes. Usually I can catch it and not sound like an idiot but if I had no inhibitions I would probably sound pretty funny and autistic

I've spent so much time speaking Korean and English when I lived in South Korea that my Danish got shitty. It still kind of is 2bh

I feel like I am equally shitty at all three languages now.

hows it going learning Korean, I would really like to relearn Korean one day, but I dont even know how to start.

My english vocabulary is way bigger than my swedish, so I often find myself splicing in english words into swedish sentences to complete them. It's such a stupid way to talk and I hate it, been trying to train it away but it's hard.

I'm pretty much in the same boat, I avoid writing and speaking Danish at every chance I get, and even when I'm forced to speak Danish I'll usually sneak in a couple of English words here and there.

I guess that's what going to an international school does to you though.

I'm still a beginner. Right now I am trying to understand the shit I see on ilbe without much success

>relearn Korean

Best of luck my friend, I have a friend doing this now while living in Korea, seems like that's probably the only way if you were once proficient in it

It's really hard to fill in the gaps of a language you learned at a young age using lessons designed for new learners. I have that problem with Spanish. Immersion or consuming alot of media is all that can really help, I think.

Not, since I use it everyday (AAAJ CHE BOLUDO)
But I know a syrian doctor who's living here since he was 19 yo (now he is around 50), he told me he just can't express himself on arab properly, and also he thinks in spanish.

I can imagine a context where you speak a language so often taht you get acostumed to a language that feels much more natural to you than your native language, but do it at the point that you actually thinks in that language sounds weird to me

>but do it at the point that you actually thinks in that language sounds weird to me
That's how it's like for me. I think in English and fractured bits of Japanese.
The only times I ever think in Swedish is when I'm talking to someone in Swedish and I'm trying not to translate my sentence in my mind from Swedish to English.

After spending a year in Ireland I just got to the point where I can speak neither language without sounding like a deaf retard having a stroke

W-want to be study buddies?

Can we have a thread like the Japan one?

I knew a guy who spoke Korean fluently but never learned how to read hangul.

He failed level 1 at the language school, despite being fluent in speaking because he had a hard time connecting the speaking to the written language/grammar rules.

My point is, that the best thing might actually be to just start all the way from the beginning.

I participate every time I see a korean thread here f4m

Learning the gook language is shameful you fucking 바보 you are destined to be alone forever

IF YOU'VE ONLY HAD TO USE ENGLISH AND YOU LIVE IN AMERICA THAN YOUR NATIVE LANGUAGE IS ENGLISH CUNTBUCKET

>I participate every time I see a korean thread here f4m

I've never seen your flag when I make a thread...and my threads all die...I'll try to keep an eye out

tfw we'll never have a steady group of korean bros here because conscription

This is most noticeable amongst white Latinos. For example: White Brazilian models will come to NYC at 14 and by 18 speak broken accented English, and since they are white they only compete with other white girls, while the typical Brazilian girl is considered Latin and retains he native language skills. Also, the white Brazilian will speak near perfect Manhattan English with very little accent. This also happens with Argentinians and Uruguayans.

This girl is from Costa Rica and came to NYC to model, and unless she told you you would never know she was Latina. She speaks native English and badly stunted Spanish.

Hangul is amazingly easy to learn, unlike jap moonrunes.

You can learn the entire Hangul alphabet in like a day.

I am still able to speak it, but not on the same level of proficiency as I did a few years ago. I use Norwegian at university, English online. I only speak my native language with my family, and I don't see them that often.

not true but thanks for your kind words

I dont come to Cred Forums often enough anymore these days, but if you guys start a Korean language thread and it becomes a thing, it would be awesome. The hardest part about languages for me is finding people to talk about my interests with. But you know, I'm a koreaboo who goes to Cred Forums and stuff when im not at work. I got nothing to talk about.

And you live in Sweden?
VAD FAN GÖR DU, GÖRAN?

Reading hangul is the easiest part. It's all the wacky grammarrules that fucks you up.

I guess I'm not shitposting often enough to notice.

>but never learned how to read hangul.
Man how can that be? Hangul is incredibly easy and logical

He's a haffu and always converse with his mother in Korean, but he never learned the basics.

I'm sure if he put in a month to learn it he could master it in that time. All he needs to do is learn the writing system, then transposing the grammar rules he knows from speech into text should be easy.

Use native language to talk, read and write everyday, so i'm not forgetting it only learning more really.

Though I'm kinda forgetting danish, since it never has had any use outside of school.

I was stopped by a danish tourist a few days ago, asking for directions and I had a hard time putting a sentence together, even remembering words.

We could make one now...looks like alot of Korean studyers are here and 한국 anons should be waking up soon. Or maybe that would be too forced. Too many of my Korean threads have died with less than 10 replies for me to know what's best

As a said he spent 6 months on failing level 1 and then the next 6 months repeating it at the language school.

It has most likely something to do with language schools in Korea wanting you to learn specific grammar patterns. - Meaning that you fail the test if you don't answer the question with the specific learned vocab or grammar, even if it would be accepted as correct in everyday speech.

Spoken and written Korean can be quite different from eachother as well.

Is it consequences of not having filmes and tv showes dubed or did you just grow up in some another country?

No, I'm a native. I just speak English way more and I gradually forgot how to speak Swedish.
Specifically the speaking part. I can still read it and understand just fine, but I can't form my own sentences and I need to look up the words in my mind and translate them from English to Swedish before I can speak.

>that many forlorn minds alienated from their origins ITT
Just one of the reasons globalisation is bad uezs

hangul might be easy, but man i wish i chad hangul keycaps, i cant type in korean for shit, i dont know where the keys are

Google translate has a 'keyboard' where you can see where the keys are.

It's annoying having to type in translate at first, but if you use it often enough you'll remember where the keys are.

Worst feeling ever, What I hate the most about this is that sometimes I'm speaking Spanish with my friends and I forget a Spanish word, but I remember that particular word in English so i always end up telling them the word in English and they think I'm just being a pretentious piece of shit.

My English is not even good so now I'm shit at speaking Spanish and English.

This is actually what I did. I'm not even half as fast typing hangul as I am with English, but I can do it alright.

Not really since we speak it at home. Outside though, we use english.

Yeah it fucking sucks since sometimes you are talking Finnish but you only know the thing you are saying in English then the spaghetti falls and did krk fjbdksbgjfkfkdnnfm

>spend semester of school in argentina, everything is in spanish
>come back home
>someone asks me a question and i start to answer in spanish
it is a strange feeling

Do you actually use English when talking to other Danes?

Nah but I rarely speak to other Danes, I just joined a student association in Denmark so I'm slowly getting back into it.

All my friends up until this point have been Cred Forums people who knew Danish but were also more comfortable with English because they were either base brats or lived in Singapore, Geneva etc.

But if I forget a Danish word I'll just use the English one.

:(((

My written English has drastically improved thanks to Cred Forums and the internet in general over the years, to the point where I think my written English might be better than my written French. It certainly feels more comfortable. The internet has also improved my oral comprehension of English, to the point where I'd say it's about equal to French.

However, my spoken English has gotten dramatically worse over the years. I used to get some speaking in because of English classes, and knowing a few English-speaking people I would occasionally speak English to. But now I never get to use my spoken English, and it's really showing. It's funny, because in my head my English sounds flawless, I know perfectly well how it's supposed to sound, and if I'm writing I can easily come up with the words I'm looking for. However, when I start actually speaking, suddenly I can't pronounce for shit, I can't even articulate basic sounds, and I forget words and just insert gallicisms all over the place (because I try to speak at a normal fluent rate, and therefore I choose gallicisms over awkward pauses and stuttering all over the place).

>not posting in this shitty thread

this

also

>trying to write something in my native language
>it always sounds less philosophical than in english

my english is pretty good, but i still have hard slavic (aka russian) accent when speaking

How do you guys feel about English words in general?

what do you mean?

well if you're the same poster, you said english was more philosophical. How do you feel about English words; how they're used, how they sound etc?

I think "wiggly" is a perfect description, both in terms of how the words feel, and in terms of how "wiggly" itself is such a stereotypically English word (phonetically)

I was about to judge you guys as autists for forgetting your language because you spend all day online and rarely speak to other people, but I just realized when my roommates moved out of my apartment for the summer, I went almost a week without speaking to another human being. If it weren't for my compulsive tick whispering "kill yourself" to myself, I could probably go weeks without speaking.
Is it possible to fully immerse yourself in other languages online without having to encounter English? I'd love to immerse myself in German or Japanese, but it seems all of the sites I use are in English.