UK anons!

UK anons!
I'm an international students in the UK and I rent a room in a private shared house. I booked the room through an agency and I electronically signed the contract when I was in my country and now that I've arrived here the house is a shithole. There are bugs and snails in the bathroom and in the kitchen, insects in the fridge and the house is in general really dirty (things that they did not tell me before, obviously). I had to clean on my own that shit because it was unbearable. Furthermore there is no wifi (they said it would), just a shitty box with limited data (at least renewable) for 4 people. We don't have access to the backyard because the door which leads to it is locked and they didn't provide us the key. The cutlery are really old and it's insane to think that's possible cook with them. There are no chairs in the "living room". The closet is full of shit I don't know whose. And there is a fucking mattress in my really not wide hallway!
Now, I would like to move out (and I've already found another room, this one is in a beautiful house), but the agency says that I have to find a replacement for my room and that I am liable to pay the rent until the end of the contract if I don't find anybody.
Is there somenthing I can do? I think it was their fault, they advertised somenthing that wasn't the true and told me nothing about all of these problems.

Other urls found in this thread:

england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/repairs_and_bad_conditions/complaints_and_court_action/contacting_environmental_health
citizensadvice.org.uk/
guildofstudents.com/support/livinginbirmingham/community/communitywardens/contacts/
citizensadvice.org.uk/housing/renting-a-home/student-housing/
savethestudent.org/accommodation/what-are-your-rights-as-a-tenant.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

How tall are you?

beat them up lad, then go out for a cheeky nandos.
adam and eve not banter with steve fags

Welcome to Europe

Take a trip to Calais and smuggle some refugee in, get him british welfare and make him live in the apartment.

I don't look like one of my kind of people
I'm European

Do you have any photographic evidence of the shitty state of things?

I can recommend three course of action.

1. Speak to your tutor about your situation
2. Speak to your university advice centre
3. Speak to the local council

I was going to give you a bit of friendly racist abuse because I hate all immigrants post-Brexit, but I too have been fucked over by shit landlords, so I'll give you some serious advice.

First thing you should of is play hardball with the estate agent. Assuming that you're not just an idiot who didn't read the contract properly and you were genuinely deceived about the state of the property, provide clear proof that the standards are not up to scratch (e.g. take photos of all the clear hygiene issues, and also compare what there actually is to what you were told about the property). Demand that the landlord actually provide what they are entitled to provide or you'll be looking for legal advice. I can't remember exactly what the process is, but when I got into an argument with my landlords I took it to some sort of independent mediators who looked at all the evidence then made a judgement. Alternatively, say you're willing to find an alternative property and not contact them again as long as they release you from the contract. The only issue with this approach is that if you do end up staying in the property you'll have a very bad relationship with the landlords, but it's pretty unavoidable if they're money-grabbing cunts who don't care about the property's upkeep, which a lot of them unfortunately are.

Snails in the bathroom? Am I being rused?

I took some pictures, yes. And I made a list of all the issues.
I moved in the last week and I think I've been going to the agency every day since, complaining about those problems. They pretty did nothing about them...
I've argued with them and they even haven't given me the landlord's phone number to talk directly with him/her and sort this mess out! It's fucking unbelievable!
Anyway, I really don't want to stay here anymore, even if they will sort out these problems! They treated me as shit and they lost my trust.

sluggards*
sry

Document everything, I'll be happy to help you contact your local council if you want, but like I said, you should speak to your Tutor and/or your university advice centre.

Where you are living right now would be considered "unfit for living", you need to escalate this to the local council to help strong arm the agency into allowing you to break the lease.

Here's some useful links

england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/repairs_and_bad_conditions/complaints_and_court_action/contacting_environmental_health

citizensadvice.org.uk/

That's the norm tho

Although I never experienced anything quite as bad as this, these kind of letting agents are bullies. Its not uncommon for them to try and treat people this way, especially foreign students who perhaps struggle with language barriers or dont know the law quite so well.

Have you paid a deposit? How long ago did you pay a deposit and were you provided with a certificate that it was placed in a deposit protection scheme?

Yes, I've paid a deposit. I've paid 750£ instead of 420£ because I'm an international, apparently. I paid it about three weeks ago and no, I did not.

You misspell words like a yank.

Where is this by the way?

Yeah, my english it's quite far from perfect.

>Brits being helpful to foriegners
>Yesterday I actually saw a thread with a Canadian OP that wasn't fucking awful

Am I having a stroke? What the fuck is going on??

Birmingham

fuck off yank

Like I keep saying mate, contact your tutor and/or your university advice centres.

guildofstudents.com/support/livinginbirmingham/community/communitywardens/contacts/

Go see any of them tomorrow and bring the photos!

Immigrating to Birmingham

Your English is fine and I wouldn't mock you for making mistakes but you use yankisms when you should be trying to speak English, especially if you are going to fit in.

>Birmingham
You poor bastard why choose that shithole?

is your landlord pakistani by any chance?

My gf just went through some struggle to get her deposit back from a letting agent. She spoke to deposit protection scheme and they told her:

The letting agent has 30 days to register your deposit with the protection scheme. If they dont do it within 30 days of you paying it to them, they have no legal claim to your deposit and you are entitled to the full amount back.

Once the letting agent registers your deposit with the deposit protection scheme they have 30 days (I believe, could be wrong) to provide you with a certificate that they have done so. If not, they have no claim to deposit and you are entitled to it back.

What letting agent? I was at university in Birmingham and so was my gf.

I'll do that for sure! Thank you!

This was similar to my experience in London. I got to the residence and I immediately slammed the door closed and asked them if there was a mistake because it looks like a broom cupboard instead of a bedroom. I was given a tiny room in a building with cockroaches everywhere, piss and puke smell in the lift, joint kitchen with moulding plates and pots everywhere and loud Polish hiphop playing next door with a greasy smelly topless Pole with a big belly marching up and down the hallways at all times of the day with his pants half way down his ass. His room door was also slightly open often so you could see the thick shaggy carpet he had in there.

On Friday nights he used to have a bunch of his Polish mates come over and they would all cook chicken in the kitchen pots and talk, drink and play whatever games they play. Those pots would remain unwashed for the rest of the week.

There was also a Chinese couple who were quiet as fuck but they illegally had a baby in their tiny room meant for one person. I could go on and on with the horror stories.

>Birmingham

[F]

JUST

ah yes, croydon

We have a student rental legal administration which can back you up in cases like this, as well as non-official organsations that do the same thing.

citizensadvice.org.uk/housing/renting-a-home/student-housing/

In addition, you should got over your tenancy rights, so that if they challenge you, you don't stumble.

savethestudent.org/accommodation/what-are-your-rights-as-a-tenant.html

Furthermore, if you have proof they deliberately misadvertised property, you can claim compensation. This is especially true if you're in a case where you can prove they exploited your want of understanding on the matter.

Hope this helps, currently living at home as I want to save up and rent for myself paid by myself once I leave uni, but I'm one of the lucky few that can do that.

why did you go to an inner city slum?

Okay, just tell me where. It's that I don't realize that. Probably they come from movies...

You aren't really supposed to live in London unless you're solid middle/upper class

Authentic London experience

don't know that
The university is pretty good
You sure? I've never heard about that. Anyway, it's Purple Frog

Did you obtain any drugs and slags?

Right there its: realise, not "realize" and they are films, not "movies".

>films, not "movies".

Film is a rank, so is a movie.

Film > Movie > Flick

Fuck off Cred Forums

>You sure?

Thats what the deposit protection scheme told her. In the end she got the deposit back because she ended up speaking to someone different at the letting agents who didnt really understand the situation and ended up returning the deposit. But either way, she was apparently legally entitled to it according to deposit protection scheme.

Just speak to someone at the guild. They will be used to dealing with this. Theres a lot of filthy paki letting agents around there who like to try this shit.

Okay, thank you! I'll speak to someone at the guild.

Cheers

You forgot kino.

Write them an official sounding email threatening that you'll take them to the civil court, its honestly like a cheat code to stop your landlord treating you like shit.

I feel sorry for you m8, I always assume foreign students are getting totally fucked over by scummy landlords when they come here