/prod/: Music production general - Mono midi edition

Talk about music production, composition, songwriting and audio engineering.

Upload WIPs on clyp.it/

GIVE feedback and RECEIVE feedback.

>ATTENTION!
DO NOT post Soundcloud, YouTube or any other links where you are not anonymous (unless somebody asks you for it). That is considered self promotion and will usually result in a bad feedback.

>LEARNING RESOURCES

(Obligatory mixing course)
>The Art of Mixing by David Gibson
youtu.be/TEjOdqZFvhY

(Obligatory synthesis course + additional related videos)
>Intro to Synthesis by New York School of Synthesis
youtu.be/atvtBE6t48M

YouTube channels that you should subscribe to:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>BusyWorksBeats (same as above, a lot of good new content coming)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

>Justin Omoi
youtube.com/channel/UCMnmXvv9JHJPsrrob-gEn5A

>WarBeats
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Samori Coles (not many videos, but a few good ones on compression and EQ)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

>Image Line Tutorials (for FL Studio users)
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

>READ THIS BEFORE ASKING WHERE TO BEGIN

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/ttd0jjiy?token=5f19ff14ee31a04ed31b88cb4536283c
drive.google.com/file/d/0BzqTxwC3ZChlU0QtZVR1TlBpWUU/view
clyp.it/5mmq5gsu
clyp.it/5zfostq0
www35.zippyshare.com/v/GgokAaWM/file.html
clyp.it/0cresd4w
clyp.it/uwv03ldv
soundcloud.com/tetrahex
clyp.it/g0sp5nsc
soundcloud.com/yungtau/hold-on
clyp.it/louqlaex
clyp.it/hyxphgpd
clyp.it/isfwi5up
clyp.it/svatm4ge
youtube.com/watch?v=atvtBE6t48M
youtube.com/watch?v=gJkxGvhOS-M
youtube.com/watch?v=zK3m8sMkTE4
clyp.it/gsiie23v
clyp.it/4hn0eudp
clyp.it/qmqd33gv
clyp.it/1chzjxwp
clyp.it/pfujaxne
clyp.it/1sdq0lfg
clyp.it/22zr0for
instaud.io/xCv
clyp.it/btdya21f
clyp.it/yidhy3su
clyp.it/kd4vqnl3
clyp.it/fvhz0mhl
clyp.it/4yaeqmpm
clyp.it/tr40csqn
youtube.com/watch?v=FTVn6OhATaI
clyp.it/tesddkug
clyp.it/f32zyqcm
clyp.it/k3zuloty
oblicard.com/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oblique_Strategies
clyp.it/dkxfi0wo
clyp.it/kidu3tov
clyp.it/oiq2xs5g
clyp.it/tmmqezc5
clyp.it/pfjzr23p
clyp.it/ykd3adlt
discogs.com/lists/That-Loon-Sample/208943
clyp.it/krjpkbyf
youtube.com/watch?v=ApXkFn2eejM
clyp.it/35rjvgg4
youtu.be/JWgwPb_uNaI?t=605
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>YouTube channels that you should subscribe to:
Yeah, no.

What is prod up to today?
Me, I'm fixing some keys on my keyboard.

>mfw when the felt on some of my keys is so worn i can hear the hammers
i really need to take it apart realign the felt

>Yeah, no.
it's a good thing you posted this, otherwise we might not have known that you're a really cool guy

>finish track
>literally immediately begin work on a new track
u-uhh

>clyp.it/ttd0jjiy?token=5f19ff14ee31a04ed31b88cb4536283c

if the guy who made this is here, please continue this or let me steal it

i see no problems here

I made this a few minutes ago. How is it sounding, guys?

drive.google.com/file/d/0BzqTxwC3ZChlU0QtZVR1TlBpWUU/view

Better than
>start a new track
>drop it halfway
>start a new track
>...

b-but my ears hurt and my tinnitus is being aggravated...

>not producing on mute

Is this your first week?

Groovy. Like the idea. I think drums in the begining might be a bit too loud tho.

What is this album? Is it good?

I've only heard the title track and it's pretty good
clyp.it/5mmq5gsu

r8 my amateur mixing skills, lads
clyp.it/5zfostq0

www35.zippyshare.com/v/GgokAaWM/file.html

Give me feedback pls. It's mixed pretty quiet tho. but whatevs. Been at producing for like a year now. Never had outside feedback.

Yeah, no, it was a little asshole-ish of me, I apologize.

what did he mean by this

memes
clyp.it/0cresd4w

learn sound design gooder, try to avoid massive bursts of sine wave whenever possible
learn theory
analyze track structure
producers usually make their tracks 16 bars longer than it should be, but in your case it's about 64 bars longer than it should be
20 hrs guillotine: imagine a guillotine is going to come down and chop your head off if you don't finish a track within

It hurts.... It hurts my soul.....

I'm lost without my APC40 MK2, launchpad, and SL MK2 25.

Thanks, senpai. Not exactly sure what you mean by the bar thing. Is it that the track is boring for the last 64 bars?

he means its too long

Because?

dunno, i dont mind long tracks

experience is key to success

Anyone who would know the differences between FL and Ableton?

easiest one is FL is shit, and ableton you can actually make decent tracks. every song I have ever made is on ableton, so I may be biased m8.

Name.
Looks.
FL has patterns and better internal controller routing options.

I made this today in like the last ~4 hours
thoughts? It just seems pretty stale or something

clyp.it/uwv03ldv

the hits are too crispy
I'm starving for some mid range filler

>it's a "someone says FL is shit" episode

>tfw you have enough music projects to keep releasing and never have to make any new music

Hits too close to home.

bruhh

>not naming your projects "adg8dgad5gf4a5dg_6441DICKS"

>untitled.flp
>untitled2.flp
>untitledsdflsafjfal.flp

Just throw it in the trash, dude. Not worth fixing

Now if you could only release something

bruhhh
soundcloud.com/tetrahex

>soundcloud.com/tetrahex
>following 1200
>tripfag

Yeah, fuck off to soundcloud thread.

owch, my ego.

advice?

clyp.it/g0sp5nsc

>pop

decided to scrap all quantizing

kill yourself, cunt!

How do i produce like him /prod/?

Great advice. You gonna buy me a new one? Do I get any say about the brand?

For the record, it took like 10 minutes to reattach the keys so they're not sunken anymore (which was the problem. The latches are kinda shit). One of the latches got broken, but I used aluminum strips to make the new popper "seats" so they fit snugly. Not gonna shell out for keys, besides couldn't even find used ones locally.

Funny, I was just mentioning that album to someone today.

Anyone got any tips on making a nice punchy kick?

I tried to make one here, but i dont feel like it had enough impact soundcloud.com/yungtau/hold-on

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>soundcloud

Clyp is for WIP Tracks, this is a finished one.

Try reading the OP gaylord.

anyone here who makes EDM like trap, moombahton or future bass? I'd be interesting in hearing your shit.

>Trap
KYS
Fuckoff to a SoundCloud thread

>yung
>trap
>shills his soundcloud

like pottery

You sure about that senpai?
Sounds like shit to me.

Alright, so i want to record in my garage solo. Is it possible to achieve decent results with a single condenser mic and audacity, or should i look into better options.

Probably gonna do some lo-fi punk and shit like that. After i moved out, i forgot my mic my grandma sold it at a yard sale, so i need recs for a good $100 or so usb mic that can handle both drums, guitar and vocals.

How are you going to record drums with one mic?

clyp.it/louqlaex

do i suck at compression

one by one

would greatly appreciate some feedback on this here weird ass beat
clyp.it/hyxphgpd
idk how to classify, I guess techno/industrial but I wasn't trying to make this fer dancin

Not compression, just mixing in general. Your 'bass' is raping my ear canal @ around 140Hz. On both my headphones and monitors it sounds awful. My guess would be your headphones are shit and to you this sounds rich and deep. However to the rest of the world it's shit. Lower that protruding tone and add some dimension (reverb, delay, chorus) to your actual instrument(s). If you want that bass rich feel to the track, add some seperate subharmonics and toy around with them.

>producing on mute
this is actually pretty cool to try and then unmute and see how it is

clypster are you here

poor fag here, where can I torrent some good VSTs like Omnisphere, Massive etc?

Fuck off
Would you kindly

Daily reminder that soundcloud success ≠ actual success in the music industry

rutracker or kat, tpb?

How do these drums sound, /prod/ ?

mother fucker
clyp.it/isfwi5up

forgot the link

I like how this sounds

wow so sexy can i have ur ###

Sounds like my neighbour is fucking on table that is knocking on my wall while I cook and the steam lifts pan lid occasionally

dope as hell. What are the future plans for this?

>sounds good for him
>sounds bad for me
>therefore and in conclusion it sounds bad

I love this, if you take this to the next level you could have an awesome track on your hands

I finally got Nexus. So i've been dabbling in using it. Its so much better than Sytrus. I already love most of the sounds.

tpb is the place to go. I grabbed decimort and Nexus.

nexus is a rompler basically but has nice sounds

sytrus can make great patches if you learn the synth

Learning synth is just a lot to put on the plate while trying to master mixing and songwriting. I wanna wait like another month before I do that

This. I'm somewhat successful in my local musical community. People always ask for my sohndcloud but all I have up there is a couple of things from high school. I don't bother with SC, since my time and effort is better spent persuing actual success.

sup /prod/ i need mixing help pls

>clyp.it/svatm4ge
how do i fix the muddiness/clipping at the low end without sacrificing the low end of the piano? i want muh moodiness from the piano but still want dat fat bass tho....

I don't think most of us are taking SC that seriously as a measure or key to success. I like sharing my meager shit with people who like what I do, and it's interesting to hear other's people's stuff. Stuff that hasn't passed the music industry/distribution/marketing test. I'm just here to chat with interesting anons and to socialize a bit around the common interest we have of music/audio production. It's just some fun bant m8.

Is there anything like pensado's place for sound design and synthesis that spoon feeds you knowledge and isn't just reviews and fluff?

nice meme snare

I understand that completely. I was just providing my own experience. I'm fortunate enough to be able to share music with my peers IRL, and on speakers I get to choose, but I understand not everyone has that kind of network in the real world and not online.

youtube.com/watch?v=atvtBE6t48M
youtube.com/watch?v=gJkxGvhOS-M
youtube.com/watch?v=zK3m8sMkTE4

What's your DJ name?

clyp.it/gsiie23v

A Hip Hop Beat i'm working on not sure where to go with it

*but can get that online

i don't mean basic stuff i mean the less obvious tricks and tips that you get from pensado

also is this a meme

no its not a meme its actually pretty good

I don't have one, and I'd rather not divulge personal info on the Internet. Seems like a rather poor idea on Cred Forums.

Hi Bob.

Meme doesn't mean it's a bad thing. The memesynth of prod is the Waldorf blofeld, a really good hardware wavetable synth that doesn't cost a fortune. Pic related in middle is the mememonitor.

NY school 'o' synthesis has gotten to be a pretty canned response to people wanting to learn synthesis.

go back to bed mark

>overgeneralizing my statement
>ignoring the fact I ran it through an analyzer after finding it dissatisfing
>ignoring the fact that there was an actual problem with the track's peaks and it has nothing to do with subjectivity
>meme arrows

Were they actually good monitors or shit hi-fi to hear how it sounds on bad speakers?

>Google DJ Bob
>find this douchenozzle

the only other i know of is to find videos from places like adsr

Yamaha NS-20 (white come) speakers are highly coveted. To some they sound too crisp though, which is perfect for mixing but bad for soundgoodizing. But they're basically what the best monitors strive to be.

typical prod poster desu

I mixed a track on headphones and it got no responses and then mixed it on NS-10s and it blew up

That's fine. It's still a good rec. it's just a meme too.
I didn't know we had /k/ommandos in /prod/

I just wanted to check and see if you were a DJ or not. My suspicions have been confirmed

whats the best Nexus expansion in your opinion /prod/?

>nexus
>shiggy

any you dont pay for

nexus is overpriced as fuck

plis help

clyp.it/4hn0eudp

I think the bass is shit

'Anyone know of a Renoise script or method that uses Rubberband to shift the pitch of a sample (while keeping the duration) and assigning those pitched samples to their corresponding keys?

... Or a VST that will do it? Can Kontakt?

please I need to make my garbage vaporwave more efficiently please the world needs it

Granulizer

This track was dope when it was breakbeat, then was shit at 50 secs in when it went bleep/dubstep.
More of the earlier, less of the later. Just my opinion though.
What you using for the breaks? Nice sound.

hey friends

im relatively new to production, been off & on using ableton for 2 yearsish. anyway, i've gone through the motions, i don't use presets anymore for anything, instrument or fx. make 100% sounds from basic components. i have never used anything not within ableton itself.

my real inquiry is, how game-changing/necessary are vst plugins and the like? i have never used one. do they do things that ableton can already do? just more in-depth/easier?

gotten to a point where i feel i may be missing out on some real meat & potatoes by only working within abletons toolset. i don't even know where to begin with them however.

>my real inquiry is, how game-changing/necessary are vst plugins and the like?
Not as game changing as watching the three videos this guy posted

Hey /prod/ What's a good way to make ambient background sounds?

ey thanks, this is really useful for me being self-taught

Paulstretch.

i would only look for things ableton doesnt have if you get anything new

The guy who presents those videos is great. He even slips in a few /prod/ type jokes. Great fun and informative to watch.

desu he uses a fuckton of analog gear with homemade samples done from foley work, it's not the easiest thing to replicate.

I mean i guess?
I'm looking for something that makes it sound like a very dense like a low sine wave

Do you have any idea what you're doing?

a sine wave is literally the least dense thing ever in the frequency domain at least senpai

what did he mean by this

About this much. I plan on using it for future projects.

Stick to paulstretch then, it was made for you.

doing that is good because ableton built ins give arent too easy but are easy enough you can apply to other shit, and give you good control. worst thing ever is synths that make everything too fancy and nice so you dont learn much using them. get an fm synth tho like fm8 so you can learn some fm maybe. fm8 i really really recommend because its very cut and dry fm synthesis and even though its hard to make good shit its absolutely great for learning how that type of synthesis works.

anyone else here frequently work with someone else in making a song? i cant help but feel ten times as exhausted when im trying to make something with someone else. we tend to work at half the speed and half the patience on collaborative efforts, not to mention i have damn near ZERO creative capability like this. everything ends up sounding unbearable and were both just kind of fatigued by the end of it. but whenever im by myself(and away from any instrument) i have all kinds of ideas i want to try out but they almost always never work regardless.we've been working together for 2 years and gone almost nowhere. well at least that's how i feel about myself.anybody here ever feel like this?

>but whenever im by myself(and away from any instrument)
Get your own gear m8.

ive worked with a bud a few times and its always been great fun. we just bounce the track back and forth, i add something, he adds something, etc. now for serious efforts i can see why it would be shit but i think its a great way to have some creative fun, and fun is what its all about aint it

did you fuck

if he has suite he has operator which can do fm and additive

fm8 and sytrus are better though i think

how do i make good techno drums? I'm usually doing break based stuff and other sorts of complex drums and now I realized I have no idea how to make a basic pattern and make it hit hard. I try layering hits and stuff but it all sounds boring.

No he uses mainly plugins and stuff he said so in his reddit AMA

shit i didnt think operator could do fm, thought it was just additive. been a while since i used it.

also serum is fun in exploring waveforms because you can stick math equations in. Love that feature. The rest of it feels way too easy and clean for it to be good for learning stuff but it lets me put me math skills to use, fucking finally.

oh actually? I'm going off of old info I guess, thanks for the tip.

>math
fuck off nerd

its a hybrid synth

in the algorithm chooser that looks like tetris blocks the far right one is subtractive synthesis and the rest are fm or fm/subtractive

its a good synth but how the interface is so compact makes it easy to look over things like the lfo destinations

>Nexus CEO trying to get more people to download his garbage off piratebay so he can sue your IP address and demand a $300 settlement

ah thank you. fm8 looks really nice and sort of what i thought an ideal plugin would be from the vague idea i had of them.
i do, i use operator for 80% of my (midi)sounds so after looking at fm8 it looks pretty nice to apply the things i've learned from operator as well as expand upon them.

thanks guys, definitely looking into getting that

Which one? The Mangle can't do it.

FL Granulizer, you can lock the tempo and then play any note without stretching it

I can't wrap my head around Ableton Live and don't need most of the things it offers (which is everything, that's why I feel overwhelmed).

So instead of Ableton + Launchkey I will go for Reaper + Axiom.
It looks easier to go around and supports VSTs and stuff.
What do you think?

You will regret it f you ever get good

they both support vst

use whatever you like better you can use reaper demo for past the 60 days and it just nags you to buy

I have been hearing this a lot.. I am not sure what to do, maybe find a local Ableton course (NOT an official one where you pay $500 for a weekend).

I just want to write short pieces to accompany some short videos I make with very basic use of compressors/limiters/mastering.
A few selected VSTs I like, a lot of ambient/minimal industrial stuff.
No live environment, I can tell that I won't be using too much the session mode either (at least I don't think in that way when I think of music ideas).
Hope it makes sense.

you're very right on the fun aspect, but i feel like no matter what we try it ends up being the driest, and least creative feeling thing in the world for some reason, even if it's for shits and giggles
I have my own midi controller and fl studio if that counts

i dont use most of the shit ableton has with the live stuff but I use it anyways because the rest of it is great. just ignore the parts you dont think you'll need, it's a great program and if you do ever need them then yay.

I downloaded all the Lynda Ableton Live Course.
I will try to get through that, see if I can make it work maybe.

But then I will have to wait to get a controller because I read that Launchkey is great with Ableton but not so much for Reaper.

Anyone got any tutorials on programming synths? Got a wave generator made and can convert it to pcm data and play a waveform but the only tutorial I've found was utter shit, and I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm using C# by the way.

Just ignore it, its better to have it at your hand if you ever need it than not to, the session view is good to bounce ideas desu
There is also Ableton Push
Try that fat fuck Seamless he has some theory on synthesis if you can stand his voice, neckbeard and shit music

I really need muh 4 octaves and keys. I come from a piano and 67 workstation background.

thanks for going into detail man. i really appreciate this feedback and i definitely have shitty headphones.

thank you

Why is Ableton so weird when you first start out and try to figure it out?
I can't even seem to be able to record a short live performance of a VST synth yet.

>20 hrs guillotine: imagine a guillotine is going to come down and chop your head off if you don't finish a track within

>how game-changing/necessary are vst plugins and the like?
very much and ignore anyone who tells you otherwise and tries to feed you the "DEFAULT INSTURMENTS/FX R ALL U NEEED" line. there's a whole world out there that you've yet to experience
i dunno, i think getting better sounds and vst's helped me a lot more than knowing the basic functions of a synth

>I can't even seem to be able to record a short live performance of a VST synth yet
hit record, play notes. next question?

Here's a little musical doodle I messed around with this afternoon. Feedback on mixing/whatever is welcome. I might do more with it later.

>clyp.it/qmqd33gv

I like it. I thought it sounded good on earbuds/headphones/computer speakers.

lol how would you know how to use all those vsts and how would you know how to understand and craft sound if you didn't comprehend the basic functions of a synth

maybe he uses romplers

i dont think theres anything with using samples/presets but i think you fuck yourself over if you willingly ignore learning synthesis

because most vst's arent synths lol. kills me that "sound design" is synonymous with synthesis to some people. there's so much shit to do with sampling and effects that, for me anyways, is not only way more fun but way more productive

Does anyone know of any online production communities or some place to talk to people about this shit? like a ventrilo or something lol

I work with a dude pretty frequently. I make most of the music and he raps ut whenever we go to write a track together he always wants looperman samples and when i show him shit I wrote by myself he always wants that shit instead. It annoys the piss out of me.

rappers are usually annoying as hell to be around in general

post a clyp.it

I'm recording rap vocals in my bedroom, please help /prod/! I have a Rode NT1A 1 cardioid condenser mic, some foam and some egg carton type packing materials. Can I get a good sound in my room?

this is what I have set up so far

Yes, that will be fine.

that's not bad actually. don't forget the ceiling if it's not covered. the floor's fine as long as it's carpeted, and with foam like that you should really try and get the mic away from the wall a bit more. at least a couple feet on all sides, if you can help it.

make sure there isn't a slap delay coming from the open part of the room as well. making a nice dry recording environment is rather simple but, with vocals especially, it's also rather simple to overlook some terrible acousitc issues until later when you're tying to mix and it sounds like you recorded it in a subway car or something.

oh for rap vocals? yeah it'll be fine.

thanks anons

yw. also, how do you like the NT1A on vocals?

what are your favorite vst for manipulating samples

if I were a singer I would probably get the 2, but I think the 1 is pretty good for rap, clean and crisp

that being said with a proper set up you could record anything with it

Yeah I've used the NT1 and 2 a lot, but I've always struggled to find a good fit for the 1. It annoys me because a lot of people I know own and/or use the NT1 varieties a lot, and it sounds great on their stuff, but everything I try it on always seems to be the wrong source... a piano that's too bright to begin with, a vocalist who needs help with tone and has too much sibilance, a guitar that's a bit too jangly and really just needs a ribbon mic, etc. In theory the NT1 should be a real go-to but it never works-out for me.

And yeah, for what you're doing it's an excellent choice, as long as you aren't too sibilant or make little whistley noises through your teeth or anything heh

it's been a time since my last post here, been working last few days for a videogame soundtrack,
feedback plox!
clyp.it/1chzjxwp

btw, made with:
drums+perc sampled
guitar epiphone sg od+reverb+delay+lpf
guitar samples
pads roland jp-08 boutique

Dude, nice. I would select the fuck out of those characters to this!

bass roland jp-08 boutique (this was sort of a challenge, like, yeah i can use this for something other than leads and pads)

this is dank as fuck man

ill post one of a song I did with my own samples and one with looperman samples.

I do the hook and the first verse and he does the second verse.
clyp.it/pfujaxne

This one is all him.
clyp.it/1sdq0lfg
I did the drums and subs but everything else was a looperman sample

>but everything else was a looperman sample

clyp.it/22zr0for

yay or gay

Does this mean they're both shit then?

Can I use my 360 controller as a MIDI controller?

You can use a goddamned potato as a midi controller

If I make noise music, can my ~$130 USB mic be acceptable?

im sure there is software for this but ive never tried

if you make noise music any mic can be acceptable

You don't even need a mic to make noise music, all you need is audacity.

How do I even make noise music anyway?

diarrhrea into a microphone and process it

>diarrhrea into a microphone and process it

I've got the mrs to record me a queef for my next troll noise album.

definitely possible, i've seen analog controllers used for midi. just google that shit.

>I can't wrap my head around Ableton Live and don't need most of the things it offers (which is everything, that's why I feel overwhelmed).

not to sound like a faggot, but how retarded can someone be? ableton is soooooo fucking easy. try using it for more than 2 hours.

What are binaural beats?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binaural_beats

illusion

>20 hrs guillotine: imagine a guillotine is going to come down and chop your head off if you don't finish a track within

Greeetings, /prod/. I bring to you my latest phat WIP, Sausification Nation.

instaud.io/xCv

p.s.: Yes, there are two percussion groups inside the percussion group in the screenshot.

i'm surprised people don't do this. giving deep names to shitty incomplete amateur projects seems pretentious.

I just number my projects. Sometimes I give em a 1 or 2 word descriptor afterwards, but usually not.

I didn't turn it off before the end. This already makes it in the top 10% of clyps posted.

THANK YOU, I LOVE YOU.

i just name my shit by genre/bpm

that works fine. i just like having something to remember each easily.

i think i'll start doing something like this actually, though i don't really work by genre. i might do something like "bright 160" "dark 130" from now on.

clyp.it/btdya21f

think I could make a track outta dis shit or should I del and try again?

It seems that at 20 seconds the two high parts are in one key and the bassline is in another key.

there's just nothing happening

Looking to get a keyboard. Preferably 76 key semi-weighted for under $300. Just something dual purpose for regular playing and recording. Maybe something like a Yamaha YPG-235?

Try increasing the tempo. Might make it more compelling.

I like the percussion patterns and such. More than I expected to like it. But the macro song structure is not good.

clyp.it/yidhy3su
This is my first song ever, so be gentle

what are those effect buses? brightcistern, medieval, paranoid? all reverbs? what plugin(s)?

For that size and price, I'd recommend maybe going to a Guitar Center or wherever and just trying a bunch out. For something you might be touching many hours per day every day, you'll want to make sure you're comfortable with it compared to alternatives.

I've been burned by MIDI keyboards I ordered with keys that don't feel nice to me despite much cheaper keyboards subjectively feeling way better.

Yes, they're reverbs. I'll be adding one more with a short delay so I can do fills. ValhallaRoom, VintageVerb and UVI SparkVerb.

It's more of an art piece I guess.

clyp.it/kd4vqnl3

>clyp.it/kd4vqnl3
same

clyp.it/yidhy3su
This is my first song ever, so be gentle

sorry about that

the two latest tracks I was working on

clyp.it/fvhz0mhl

clyp.it/4yaeqmpm

oh

im getting btfo by a fucking fly for the past few hours and i hate my life

tfw all my gear and desk is black and this fucking fly keeps buzzing in my ear and hiding on my shit because its black and i dont know what to do

im getting defeated by a fucking fly and i hate my life

holy lmao

Get a can of coke and leave a bit in the bottom, make a sugar trap.

Calm down. Get a microphone. Sample the buzz. Make a track out of it.

there isn't enough happening. that track generally doesn't become interesting at any point let alone stay interesting for its full length. amateur producers tend to overestimate how interesting a loop is to a listener and their tracks are usually ~20% bloat

theres literally no reason for your arrangement to not be finished within

Nothing is fucking worse than drinking from a soda cup or can you left out to find a dead fly or gnat after you already took several sips.

Other than actually swallowing the bug I guess.

My problem is I never like the first 10+ arrangements I try, so I'm constantly tweaking. I'll get faster once I get better.

>as you slowly lose the vibe and it starts to sound like a wall of noise because you've heard it too much
This is partly why I take a while to complete things. I cycle through tracks and take 1-7 day breaks to keep things fresh.

i had that problem when i started where i would make like 4-5 loops which sucked before getting a good basis for a full song, i figured out it was because i wasn't splitting sound design and arrangement, so if you don't do that already start immediately. otherwise it will go away with experience. it rarely happens to me now, maybe once every 5 tracks. the rest are straight in

clyp.it/tr40csqn

So does anyone here give actual feedback anymore?

the guy might have a point, I find that most of my favorite and best songs have been made in one sitting basically

if i don't finish it or get the main idea completely fleshed out, i'll spend months fucking around aimlessly and getting nowhere

unique and sounds good, not my genre , but technically good.

youtube.com/watch?v=FTVn6OhATaI

clyp.it/tesddkug

So I wanted to write a song that had a bit of an '80s feel to it while still being a bit modern.

I'm only recently learning to mix and master, but is this okay? I wanted the vocals to stand out more and I think they do, but my opinions are shit. I haven't given this track the "car stereo test" yet as it is 1 a.m. here and I can't be assed to fuck with it.

Are you planning on adding to it? I liked that Lion King-sounding rhythm (for lack of a better description) as much as the rest of it. It might be cool if you could go somewhere with that. Also, the mix sounds good

i have been trying to kill it but it hides too easily

close windows and every possible hole and just burn the place down, nobody uses gear anymore anyway grandpa and buy a DAW for the insurance

> buy a DAW

Bug lives matter too you fucking inhuman savage.

Thanks boys. I want it to be lofi-dubstep (if that's a thing). Probably gonna add some spoopy jazz chords as an intro then a build and let that shit rip.

i bought 2 daws

I'm actually just meming, people should buy DAWs.

i pirated first desu which i think people should do

i think you should never just buy software without trying it for free first

ur getting arrested son

i tried to make a uk hardcore track

clyp.it/f32zyqcm

This is fookin bangin

needs heavy reverb female vocals and some twangy guitar/piano shit

thanks m8
i find it really hard to find vocals that fit. thanks for the advice tho

if I want to make music where the fuck do I start

What music?

mostly electronic, not rock or hiphop

join the literal 100s of thousands of kids making shitty, generic, trash electronic. its easy.

ya so what's the first fucking step

Pick a DAW - Ableton, FL studio etc. learn basics, buy some monitors or headphones.

do I need instruments. I had fl studio but had no idea what to do

There already are some or download a Kontakt it has various libraries of sounds

So I usually just write indie type songs with guitars and bass and synths and drums, but I've got some sort of writer's block at the moment, so I thought I'd try something I don't usually do and try to do something noisy in sound but poppy in music.

I'm not sure what to think of it desu
clyp.it/k3zuloty

disclaimer: it's really not even that noisy

thank you amigo

Anyone have sylenth crack?

rate my battlestation

Shit until 40 seconds in, then shit from 1 min onwards.

fuq, that's a chord progression I stole from a previous song I wrote. How do I un-writer's block mu, plz help

ATH-m50x master race

>How do I un-writer's block mu, plz help

oblicard.com/

Here's an explanation of that site.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oblique_Strategies

I know what they are already, didn't think to try them

I've been trying to get them added to the OP links but it never seems to take.

I posted this a while ago
Is this getting better or worse?

clyp.it/dkxfi0wo

Basic as fuuck/10
...also nice bike gaylord

fugg :DDD
clyp.it/kidu3tov

clyp.it/oiq2xs5g
Yeah I know the voice is annoying

it's like i'm listening to a discount world of echo

do you not like?

20 hour rule is fugging succ, dude. if you produce "cool beats" it might be a strategy to efficiently create music for the sole purpose of lackluster entertainment

t. professional

needs more harmonic tension, more coherent melody and the most important thing: much better drums. it doesn't really have a swing to it, the percussive elements sound really flat and dead. make it come alive by syncopation and subtle "off-beatness". vary the textures

how do I make this less boring

clyp.it/tmmqezc5

put a holocaust document in the back

yes, you'll be fine. be creative. gearfags are for gear

generate a sine wave then :/

Izotope Exciter is fucking up my CPU for some reason, any light multiband exciter recs?

actually, i'm an actual professional. nice try appeal to authority though. even bach, mozart, etc. composed movements in one sitting. so your point about quality is bullshit. there's no reason for the composition and arrangement of notes to take longer than a day. in fact, the only people that complain about this are amateurs, because they have jobs / school etc. and it isn't convenient to them and they cannot imagine completing work quickly.

My first track
clyp.it/pfjzr23p

My second track
clyp.it/ykd3adlt

You guys gave me some great feedback last time, much appreciated.

These are both good.
I was listening to a phone in at the same time and it seemed to fit the first one (but not the seocnd for some reason). Maybe take a few random speech samples and chop em up and throw em in.
I'd maybe lower the open hat in the second tune a little but that's about as far as I can get with fault finding.

Ah alright thanks man, I haven't really messed with vocals yet.

Should be interesting

Bit of a meme, but I'm struggling to find a good loon sample.

Loon Sample?

Is Lynda's Ableton Live course a good starting point?
I watch the SandwichProduction stoner guy on Youtube. He knows things, sometimes it drags for no reason (too much weed?) but ok.

discogs.com/lists/That-Loon-Sample/208943
and countless others probably

>clyp.it/pfjzr23p
cool chill vibe, needs a rapper or chopped vocals though

>clyp.it/ykd3adlt
I actually really like this, feels like deep house, needs female vocals chops though
Check out this, does the mastering and mixing sound okay to you guys?

>clyp.it/krjpkbyf

Just reverse search what you want and learn from that desu

maybe that would be more helpful instead of learning all the things one by one.. I will give it a shot.

Tell me what to make, Cred Forums

something without drums.

a hit single

i'm on it

something that makes you think

>I actually really like this, feels like deep house, needs female vocals chops though

Thanks I'm actually a huge fan of Deep House lol.

Take this with a grain of salt because I'm pretty new but the highs sound really loud. Not sure if that's what you were going for.

Is there an option in ableton live for using sidechain but for parameters other than volume?

I'm thinking of knobs in software instruments, but also want to know if there's a stereo effect as well...

no this is neat
the symbol could maybe chopped a bit, made more snappy
I like how guttural the drum that comes in towards the end is. then the xylophone. just good stuff bruv
ahh this is really good but it just needs to be louder
this sounds like it would be in paper mario or something. very kawaii. maybe too kawaii? I dunno. gets a bit loungey towards the end
oh man the martial drumming is cool. the breakbeat comes in all wrong and the build up is naff but the tune afterwards is cool. you're right you could develop the bass behind it more. love the gongs at the end
oooh lord. very sexy. thought the strings at the start were a bit cheesy but the transition was so good it redeemed it
yay
no keep on this. the plinky plonky stuff reminds me of oversteps or yellow light orchestra or something. in a good way
love love love love it
ahahaha this is demented. I like it. mixing obviously needs work though

more synths desu

Something influenced by minimal synth
youtube.com/watch?v=ApXkFn2eejM

Not by default,nah. You can either automate that shit and copy pasta OR get LFO tool.

thank's ive got an idea going already
got something to do now

Damn, I have been automating but it can take forever to get the right movement I'm wanting

Something with musique concrete influences.

sheeiiiiiiiiit

thinking about setting this as my ringtone or alarm clock
clyp.it/35rjvgg4
what do you think?

The classic one is at these points in the field recordings album - 6 minutes 45 seconds, and 10 minutes 5 seconds, there's some surface noise from the vinyl at both points though

youtu.be/JWgwPb_uNaI?t=605

acoustically not a good place to be, but it's tidy and neato. what's that mic?

Interesting I'm tempted to try something with a Loon

Oi m8 - definitely needs midrange. Your hits are definitely too sharp. Maybe soften them a little, definitely play around with that rhythm though. I like it overall for what its worth. I'm really glad you enjoy producing so much. :) - also were you the one who asked me at one point about Core? Hope you see this.