How come no rapper has ever even come close to the lyrical prowess of a great poet?

How come no rapper has ever even come close to the lyrical prowess of a great poet?

Other urls found in this thread:

genius.com/Kanye-west-homecoming-lyrics
azlyrics.com/lyrics/hopsin/illmindofhopsin7.html
youtu.be/tcjPJOpMO98
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

genius.com/Kanye-west-homecoming-lyrics

Lower expectations + a greater focus on rhythm and sound and production than lyrical wordplay

There will never be a hip hop james Joyce because there will never be a pop james Joyce

it's not commercial enough

Is this bait?

Fair points, although I wouldn't say the focus of poetry is "lyrical wordplay".

Yeats > Joyce

Modest mouse is pretty student level poetic I guess

yes

Someone did.
Too bad he's italian.

Illmatic is literally poetry

By literary standards it's pretty bad poetry

>By literary standards

That's not what poetry is all about, tard.

It's because rapping is more for rhythm than lyricism and melody.

What rap-haters fail to understand is that the role of the rapper in rap is basically that of the guitar in rock, to provide an additional rhythmic frame for the music. The flow and rapping isn't on top of barebones music, it's an element of the music itself, it's a musical tool just like singing.

But Nas

I mean when compared to great poets in the world of literature, illmatic is pretty bad poetry

>he doesn't understand subjectivity
>he probably thinks that poetry is just muh deep metaphors
>he doesn't know that poets spent the 20th century deconstructing the form and doing everything the wrong way
Why do pretentious dilettantes always pretend that art stopped evolving in the 19th century?

>implying there is good and bad poetry
There is no possible way to quantify whether poetry is good or not

>rapping is more for rhythm than lyricism

thanks user, I needed that

>>he doesn't know that poets spent the 20th century deconstructing the form and doing everything the wrong way
If anything that was the 19th century user. 20th century poets such as Yeats aren't deconstructive in any notable way. Someone like John Donne or Emily Dickinson picked apart poetic technique and structure in the 19th century. And metaphor is literally just one technique of many in poetry

Nas is not a very good poet, relatively speaking.

D O S E O N E
O
S
E
O
N
E

I'd call it a modern form of poetry. You're obviously going to have stylistic and speech pattern changes if you compare Future to Ralph Waldo Emerson.
azlyrics.com/lyrics/hopsin/illmindofhopsin7.html

Rap is almost always aesthetically focused, rather than trying to impart non-aesthetic meaning.

Have you even listened to 21 Pilots? Spreading the word of Allah.

You haven't heard Freestyle Fellowship, Digable Planets, or Gil Scott-Heron ever in your life I'm assuming

letteralmente chi

There'll never be a great poet in music.

haha that pepe looks like Takkyu Ishino

TAKE IT
> B A C K
scum sucker now FORESNIC

Musicians get laid too much to suffer like poets. VSnare's Hungarian Album has always reminded me of Ezra Pound tho.

lol just what the fuck nigga? how is this even relevant here? No one's arguing against you to begin with.

>"but muh knowledge of irish culture"

DO YOU THINK YOU'RE FUCKING SMART OR SOMETHING KID? You've probably only recently learned about Yeats and now you hear some fucking literary remark on Cred Forums and feel the need to brag about your newfound irish poet, who is supposedly "great" because your textbook told you he was? Does that make you feel better about yourself: "look at me, i've contributed something intelligent to conversation for once! weee!" Jesus christ, i hope you're happy, you sick fuck!

Oh and Joyce was obviously the superior artist, you tasteless bore.

>Yeats > Joyce

JUST

Did you hear Listener?

Aes is my personal favorite.

youtu.be/tcjPJOpMO98