twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

no

yes

maybe

None of the above

if youre a sepressed faggot, yes

i havent listened to it

It's their only good work

Holiday's a great song, and the first two are decent. The rest of it's really forgettable. Lyrically, it's not at all incisive. I actually feel a little embarrassed thinking that Billie Joe might have thought he was making a profound statement on anything.

This is the album that invented post rock, right? Yeah, it's pretty good.

It's terrible.

/thread

it was literally the exact moment in time when green day became shit

Mediocre at best.

Holiday is good but the riff is just a rip off of minor threat.

Which Minor Threat song does it rip off? I think Homecoming sounds like Free's "All Right Now".
Free
youtube.com/watch?v=siMFORx8uO8

Green Day, start at 0:40
youtube.com/watch?v=awHSVx99Y_g

Holiday is an okay song but the rest of the album is shit.

dont listen to the plebs OP

everything is a derivative of everything

Cashing In

Yes, if you aren't afraid of the big, BAD mainstream, and aren't an autismo punk purist.

Put down the crack pipe.

It has some great catchy songs but as a political statement it's as sophomore as it gets. Billie Joe never grew out of high school I think, which would explain why his political opinion doesn't go farther than "Donald Trump is Hitler, man!"
Jesus of Surburbia is a surprise one, I didn't think Green Day had it in them to make a 9 minute song that doesn't bore you after 2.

American Idiot [Reprise, 2004]

If you're wondering what this concept album means, don't labor over the lyric booklet. As Billie Joe knows even if he doesn't come out and say it--he doesn't come out and say lots of obvious stuff--this is a visual culture. So examine the cover. That red grenade in the upraised fist? It's also a heart--a bleeding heart. Which he heaves as if it'll explode, only it won't, because he doesn't have what it takes to pull the pin. The emotional travails of two clueless punks--one passive, one aggressive, both projections of the auteur--stand in for the sociopolitical content that the vague references to Bush, Schwarzenegger, and war (not any special war, just war) are thought to indicate. There's no economics, no race, hardly any compassion. Joe name-checks America as if his hometown of Berkeley was in the middle of it, then name-checks Jesus as if he's never met anyone who's attended church. And to lend his maunderings rock grandeur, he ties them together with devices that sunk under their own weight back when the Who invented them. Sole rhetorical coup: makes being called a "faggot" something to aspire to, which in this terrible time it is. C+

There we go. Perfect. Just what said, that BJA is an extremely uninformed person who doesn't know a thing about politics beyond a vague "Republican=bad" thing.

I concur

I was just listening to it again, I used to love it but now i cant get into it for the life of me

>"literally garbage"
>"thoughtless shit"
>"irredeemable"
>C+

Your reading comprehension is awful.

that a problem? music doesn't have to discuss politics on an academic level or anything, it's just supposed to get a mindstate across that makes those slogans more impactful. most of the songs aren't even political, are they?

It's a problem to me when the musician I'm listening to preaches about something he knows nothing about.

you realize its a concept album and the politics are very simplistic because its coming from a teenager - and not many of the songs are even remotely political anyway

>the politics are very simplistic because its coming from a teenager
No it's not. This concept album's plot sort of awkwardly starts at the second song and comes and goes as it pleases.

uhh, the American Idiot is the teenager: the Jesus of Suburbia who reinvents himself as St Jimmy.

>exaggerations
C+

There's literally nothing in the album that signifies either of these things. St. Jimmy always was St. Jimmy.

meant to reply to

1. Frustrated teen
2. Teen leaves broken home
3. Teen goes on "holiday"
4. Teen gets lonely
5. Teen finds he doesn't fit in the big city
6. Teen reinvents self as St Jimmy
7. more depression
8. Falls in love
9. still in love
10. Love dies
11. Lamenting general sorrow
12. Goes home, St Jimmy "blows his brains out"
13. Reflects years later

if a fucking middleschooler me could follow this plot years ago you have to ask yourself if youre basically retarded now

I don't think the problem is billie joe saying one note political statements. The problem is him saying something akin to status quo normalcy. it's been said before so it doesn't come off as relevant, just infantile and pretentious

captured the general frustrations of society in a confusing political time in the form of simple pop "punk" album that follows a narrative about a disgruntled teenager, why is this so hard for people to understand

I completely get it. It's still angsty teenager trash.

2004 was an awful year for culture.

>it means these things because I said so
damn nigger. There is a bit of plot, 3 characters, and a non-ending.

oh shit, adults cant feel angst, i guess death grips and Swans are shit too

Both of them curbstomp billie joe nu emo ass

Stop being a moron, this album is trash and always has been.