ITT: Thoughts on Goblin

ive never been so split on an album, without question bastard is better but with this, on one hand tyler has all of the extremely personal lyrics, creative ways of expressing himself, but on the other hand the production is bad and whenever tyler says something thats violent or bad he immediately reminds us that "its just creative expression" which is basically just saying "I want to say outrageous and violent things but not get backlash for it"
so really I just can't make heads or tails of this record

It's just edgy bullshit

wolf had some good instrumentals but that's about it

As a fan of most of tyler's work, I'd have to say it's his most cringe-inducing album, with a few decent tracks sprinkled throughout

Embarrassing and cringeworthy.

The dude has a fucking bacon bowtie.

Bastard>Wolf>Literal dogshit>>>>>>>>>>Goblin

It's impressive for what it is. Great production throughout, some decent verses. Window is still a really enjoyable track.

Is anything post-Goblin worth checking out?

Definitely go ahead and listen to Wolf, in my experience it was a great album to start with. After that just listen to cherry bomb because you'll end up doing it eventually anyway

Yonkers is the only good song on the album, radicals is absolute shit. Wolf is his best album.

Nobody can tell me the beat on the first half of Fish isn't god-tier

It;s a fucking amazing alumb dude but my life sucks you know i litende to it feoistrr tie ast 200`100100g nad it becamoe one fo emyhbd ngaETKN"o

>niggering

it's okay to be embarrassing and cringeworthy

problem is the album sounds like shit apart from tyler's voice and it's twice as long as it deserves to be

easily worst tyler lp
basically just a rehash of bastard but with more bullshit filler

It changed my life desu. It sounds corny and I realize the album is kinda goofy now but listening to it as a teenager really blew my mind. It was one of the first hip-hop albums I really enjoyed and I loved the narration in it with Tyler and his shrink. Slowly got into EARL after that

Goblin definitely feels like he's attempting capture the mood and themes of Bastard, it just feels very empty and almost disingenuous. I guess the fame he hit when he released Bastard made him forget how angsty he felt at the start of his career.

Bastard > Wolf > Goblin > Cherry Bomb (Only listen to like the last 4 tracks + Find Your Wings)

fish is his best song

I liked all of it
>implying the lyrics matter
The music even matches the lyrics, just total agression whilst Wolf just sounded like another rap album. This album was unique and just like bastard but more confronting and aggressive. It was even influential enough to earn him his fans which means you could say it's his best album because of the attention it got him. It truly was remarkable.
go listen to Nas or some other shit

Cherry bomb > Goblin > Bastard > Wolf

yeah, odd future is alot of peoples gateway into more alternative rap

It's too fucking long. Outkast is literally the only rap group that can put out a worthwhile hour+ album.

You can't deny how much the teens loved it. It's like with 80s fashion when all that weird shit was real hip at the time but by today's standards we think of it as something completely out there.

This. He wasn't in the right mindset when making Goblin so the album feels super forced, unlike Bastard which felt like a more genuine teenage angst album. He made Wolf and Cherry Bomb match the mindframe he had when recording them, making them sound more genuine.

Fuck meant to reply to

Even tyler said he regretted most of it

kys
Cherry Bomb > Wolf >>> Bastard > Goblin

He regretted all his albums lmao

This is the only and last time I have and ever will buy an album without listening to it first. I loved the bedroom production on Bastard, and was pretty intrigued by the lead single from Goblin.

This album was an enormous disappointment for me. I really tried to like it and even convinced myself that it was better than Bastard at one point, but then I realized the album was just self-indulgent, lazy trash. The honesty in the verses, the sloppy, intimate production, all of that was done away to make this Goblin as edgy and polished as possible.

I literally threw the CD case in the trash about two years ago.

my mans! I think this happens to be my mans!

what did he mean by this?

The only tracks on the album you can call edgy are Radicals and Transylvania so saying you hate the album because it's edgy is a lame excuse. What's even wrong with ironically violent lyrics? Eminem did it and no one calls his albums edgy.