Cred Forums predicts the future of music

seriously, what's next? what technology will come into play and what styles will it lead to?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7pOqkn9JgO8
youtu.be/KZazEM8cgt0
deepmind.com/blog/wavenet-generative-model-raw-audio/).
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_medium_is_the_message
youtu.be/zgVUei2853A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

popularization of the analog synth

it will be the new electric guitar

There's is no new techonology in the horizon when it comes to music, although i think Hip-Hop only has 10 more years of relevancy desu.

You don't think the laptop has already become the new electric guitar?

kek there is no "new electric guitar"

Guitars are still cheap and easy to play as ever, I don't think they'll ever fully leave pop music

Electronic music isn't any more innovative or interesting nowadays either, if you seriously think that you fell for the meme

Nah hip hop's death is just around the corner

The music isn't any more innovative, but odds are that an American or British teenager deciding to express themselves for music will most likely learn how to do something on their computers. The garage rock band has become the one man DJ.

lol american or brit
both countries are washed up for talent
the next big thing will come from some third world shitter

uk and america are too busy whining about how come music from x time isn't like today.

That's only true if they listen to electronic music.

There are things you can't do in dance music that you can in rock and vice versa. It makes no sense to say that every kid now has to make dance music to be "relevant", even if a large amount of people don't give a shit about dance music.

The "relevancy" of electronic music is just a defense to conceal the fact that record companies are afraid of investing in rock anymore.

Great points. I agree with you both.

Wow hes a genius

youtube.com/watch?v=7pOqkn9JgO8

I'm from England and I agree, the new shit is definitely not coming from here. People are just too apathetic and miserable to bother making anything exciting. Even dance music sounds like the death march.

Nah. Trap is basically the nu-metal of rap right now, and if we follow trends It's only got till 2020 or so till electronic takes over for good.

What do you mean by "electronic"?

And guess who predicted that the record companies would be afraid of investing in rock and experimental music in general?
youtu.be/KZazEM8cgt0

i don't really like hip hop but i hope it has more than 30ish years of relevancy.

More computerized instrumentation and less physical, traditional instruments. Or taking traditional instruments and making them sound more mechanical or something, like radiohead on OK computer or Battles, but more innovative and transformative. Like dub step but actually interesting. That's the future I think.

Tablets will replace laptops
Vocal and physical-modeling synthesis will be so advanced most people won't be able to differentiate Real Instruments™ from digitally-generated sounds.
Artificial intelligences will be able to generate new songs that sound very much like any of our favorite artists (see deepmind.com/blog/wavenet-generative-model-raw-audio/).

>dude futuristic so its the future
Actually listen to your Top 40 station. They use tons of traditional instruments. Pop music was never actually about the sounds made but the structure and songwriting.

There will be a backlash against this "mechanical" dance music. Electronic artists are limited by their own freedom, they spend time perfecting their rhythms and textures and whatever and never stop to think about actual songs. It's so disconnected from reality. Performance is also a big part of music that is diminished in electronic music.

the end where he's talking about safe sex is pretty funny

>wear rubber goodies or don't get any of the white s*** on you, ya know.

Nah dude, top 40s and the mainstream will always be poppy and catchy with whatever trendy sounds, there'll hardly be any innovation in that direction other than more glossy production tricks. The structure will be the same, yeah. But I'm talking about music that will have longevity. Stuff that actual music lovers will dig into. And you're assuming too much about this disconnection, sooner or later a wave of artists will come along with substance that'll make interesting rhythms and such with their computer tools. And are you kidding about stage presence? Have you seen guys like Flylo perform live? They'll think of stuff to make the live shows exciting, you dont have to worry about that.

Oh lawdy

Next you're gonna tell me that music is going to "evolve past the song format"

>Guitars are still cheap and easy to play as ever, I don't think they'll ever fully leave pop music
Guitar became this "meme instrument", because mainstream music.

To guitar dies, the only thing that need to is to big labels pick another instrument to be the "meme instrument" (while also removing guitar bands from tv staitons and usual radio stations) and spam the hell out of it, like they done from 50s to current era.

>Pop music was never actually about the sounds made but the structure and songwriting.
Mainstream music (assuming you are talking about that when you said mainstrea) is about money, just that.

or if you are from Cred Forums, it only about cultural marxism, (so messases from lyrical themes and music video imagery)

Yeah, but guitars are just easy and simple in a way few other instruments are.

Real innovation in music has less to do with instrumentation than most people think, electronic has really only produced repetitive dance, wanky memeIDM, and ambient.

Electronic producers don't understand that music is about more than music. Music should be ABOUT something. It needs emotion and soul to succeed, it's dependent on ideas outside of music. When I say "pop music" retards love to misinterpret it as meaning "radio music", but I'm talking about popular music more generally. Pop has an ability to reflect and influence the times, it can be important and immediate, it can and should actually matter. I think it's very unlikely that "music lovers" should just stop caring about all that and just listen to this year's most unique rhythm. Music-as-music is uninteresting.

The medium doesn't matter.

The medium is the message.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_medium_is_the_message

You're putting emphasis on electronic being soulless and uninteresting, but the genre itself is still in its infancy and has yet to be really pushed outside of what it's capable of. You can essentially produce endless sounds and textures with the music, and all that's missing for you is the "human" element or the emotion. While I disagree that music should be about something, I do think there will be more emotionally contrived electronic in the near future. You're thinking the genre is limited when really it hasn't even started to show what it's capable of producing.

What, so you're saying that electronic music has room for more evolution because it can produce lots of unique sounds? I think the focus on "making the sound" is pretty ridiculous in electronic music and we end up with IDM that's only focused on making the weirdest sounding music.

I think that lyrical pop is the more interesting form and that producers should sort of act more as the backdrop rather than the forefront. Most experimental producers even nowadays just try to push the artsiest/most futuristic aesthetic

You know why electronic and pop music are devoid of soul so to speak? Because you can't make each performance unique. You have to perform the songs exactly the way you recorded them. If your audience has hears the song online, why would they pay you to see you do the exact same thing live?
youtu.be/zgVUei2853A
1:24

Different user here, he says in the video that during the 60's experimental music was recorded and released, do you not think that this is happening again due to the fact that these artists no longer need record companies to release their stuff. I know they're not mainstream or whatever but who cares about that anymore.

In general I can sort of feel a new 60's style counterculture era coming along, with all the tension in the political world theres bound to be some rebound and the gradual legalisation of weed would influence drug culture too. All of these will have an affect on music in the future I think.

I don't think that pop or electronic music should be the catalysts of it, if it happens.