What is the worst opinion about something in music you have ever heard?

What is the worst opinion about something in music you have ever heard?

Other urls found in this thread:

robertchristgau.com/get_artist.php?name=King Crimson
robertchristgau.com/get_artist.php?name=Nicki Minaj
youtu.be/vzN3qO-qc8U
rateyourmusic.com/genre/Merseybeat/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>it's dated

Oasis is a good band.

>I like classic rock like Greenday and My Chemical Romance, music this days suck

Thankfully I overheard that shit

I used to hate this term in that context, but I've started to appreciate it a bit more these days. I think, when the term is used properly, it means that the production is bad or the music uses cliches hat are longer popular.

Saw some dude on here refer to Lonerism as "Revolver 2.0"

Def Leppard are a better metal band than Black Sabbath

This also

>The bends is the best radiohead album

"I like listening to Sam Smith and Meghan Trainor"
"I like electronic music too, my favourity DJ's are David Guetta and Avicii"

>he can't handle facts

If some band is not big its because they are cover bands

what?

yours

>It's overrated

THISTHISTHISTHISTHISTHISTHISTHISTHISTHISTHISTHISTHISTHISTHISTHIS

modern music sucks

dude queen lmao

this. They're literally gay ass one hit wonders.

there are actual people out there who'd prefer viet cong/preoccupations over women

>the 80's are the worst decade of music and not one of the best decades"

Music is only objectively good based on how culturally important it was.

>Homogenic is the best Bjork album
>You can only like The Beach Boys or The Beatles, not both
>MBDTF is a good album

robertchristgau.com/get_artist.php?name=King Crimson
robertchristgau.com/get_artist.php?name=Nicki Minaj
According to Christgau, Nicki Minaj's entire discography is better than anything KC ever made.
>mfw

when referring to the death grips my coworker said "I can't stand that techno rap"
mfw
>techno
>rap

what the actual moot is that?
literally what?

"What's your favourite Bob Dylan album?"
"erm, Greatest Hits"

this this this this

>King Crimson is a good band

>Frank Zappa is good

>music can be objectively good or bad

>The Beatles are not mediocre-to-bad

>in the court
>d+
>nicki minaj's whole discog is a- or a.

wat

So how does Christgau's scoring system work? Some albums have bombs and stars and sad faces on them instead of a letter score and it's fucking dumb

It would make sense if you had taste and didn't judge albums based on how artsy they seem

>R Kelly is talented

you just wanna be a contrarian

>Animal Collective is good

lol this nigga likes nicki minaj. i judge by how much i enjoy the music i am listening to

No I don't, I just have taste

Sampling is lazy or takes no talent

but the 80s were horrible, it blinded many great artists with a horrible sound

what if you judged them on their quality
fuk off

people who say this just dont go and look for new music

>music can't be objectively good or bad
>makes several of such statements

Nicki Minaj is a pretty good rapper tbqhwyfam

Also
>comparing different ratings of different artists with different genres from different decades
That's not how ratings work, they're not meant to be compared like that.

He's allowed to have an opinion that differs from the popular consensus.

Nah I'm good senpai.

>that [your favorite band] is good
I heard it from some autistic guy so I can't really blame him

“King Crimson would like you to think that they’re strange, but they’re not. What they are is a semi-eclectic British band with a penchant for fantasy and self-indulgence whose banally imagistic lyrics are only matched by the programmatic imagery of their music.” -- Lester Bangs

>“My contention is that the negroes learned to play this rhythm and music from the whites, [...] The negro did not play any kind of music equal to white men at any time.”
Nick LaRocca on which race invented Jazz.

>friend only ever listens to RHCP and top 40 shit his borderline retarded gf listens to
>ask him why
>"music these days is terrible"

delet

Not even top 5

THIIIIIIIISSSSSSSS

this please

Please stop memeing. It's not even near top 5.

>Popularity is a mark of quality

It is to an extent

If something never rose above others it might just be shitty. Lots of "forgotten classics" that get lots of attention on rym were forgotten for a reason, ie because they weren't very good.

nah

Good goyim

>your taste is awful

there's literally no worse opinion than this

>U2 are post-punk

itt: underage indie kids ego-tripping out of insecurity

Except for all of those other fucking hits they had.

who is this cutie?

This and
>"Synthesizers always sound terrible"
go hand in hand 90% of the time.

all of these are true IMO

>Except for all of those other fucking hits they had.
Such as????

but why are they classic then?

They're not, they're just overrated by people who want to seem like they discovered another Unheralded Genius

It objectively is though, you worthless, tasteless, pleb cunt

even worse

>popularity is a mark of bad quality

winner

pop punk is shit

This made me kek

Take it with a grain of salt, Christgau is a retard who jerks it to his New York Dolls poster every night. He hates prog rock for no reason, same with jazz fusion and metal

Was talking with someone on last.fm how payola limits what people know and so what they listen and how people miss stuff for not searching for bands.

At one of the times I was discussing with someone about that, the person said that almost all bands that arent big (he was talking about mainstream bands) are cover bands.

yeah i really want to know this

>Trap-rap is a good sub-genre of rap and current popular trap rappers are making music worthy of merit and praise.

MBDTF is a masterpiece though.

Friend in high school said that if music wasn't popular, that meant it wasn't good. He also said his favorite genres were dubstep and nightcore. He was a good kid but I did not talk about music with him

>>/r/popheads

"joanna newsom isn't good"

"garden of delete isn't good"

"sleater-kinney is boring/not good"

Usually people who say this only listen to the popular songs in the past.

"The Beatles aren't good"

Music is good

But it has the sound of Revolver in some places, so he's not that wrong

he's not right but hes not that wrong.

Lets not kid ourselves, they have their moments

Music is good

>Coldplay is the greatest band of all time and Yellow is the greatest album of all time

what a fucking retard

demonspawnblackcauldron is bad

>I only listen music that is played with real instruments

>"The Monkees were better than The Beatles!"
>"Gotye sounds like what The Beatles would make if they were still together as a band."
Why must teenaged girls have the worst taste in music?

"This is the worst Kanye West album"
Literally why? It has my fav songs to be honest

Someone told me pic related was AOTY they were serious.

That looks great!

Genesis lost it after Peter Gabriel left.

Lester Bangs was a great critic.

Frank Zappa was a genius.

Stupid Hoe is a bad record.

Literally dozens in Britain.

smartest thing they ever said in their life

The 90's were the best!

teenagers in general have "shitty taste" in music. Mostly cause they influenced by the "popular media out-pour of shitty songs and shitty bands".
Finding a teenager with "good taste", is a pretty rare feature.

>anyone thinking Red Hot Chili Peppers and Sublime are good

Kill them all

Rap is music.

>doesn't know how to ascend to a jam zone
Feel bad for you

NO NO NO NO NO

People who listen to Sublime don't jam. They keep playing Santeria on their acoustic guitars all the fucking time. I want to strangle them

what a poor post

topkek

>so far from the jam zone
Here friend. Ascend.

This. I wish I can meet somebody with similar taste they exist everywhere on the internet but nowhere to be found in real life

Viet cong is just ahead of public strain but apart from that women is generally better. Just my opinion though

it's quite good pop rap. Not my AOTY but I can see how someone else could say that

Nah their excuse for saying its AOTY was "it's lit" and plus the album is fucking shit aside from 2 tracks

god you underage are the worst

>longer albums are better than shorter albums
Same kind of person that believes the bigger the open world, the better the game.

>Artsy
Hey Patrick!

literally shit-tier normal faggot opinion

I hope there is going to be a Yeezus 2 T B H

>This song's gay
>Why do you say that?
>Cause it has a piano in it

L I O N
I
O
N

If he wasn't being a contrarian on purpose, I'd really like to know what his favorite artists and albums were.

TMR was one of his favorites

he had similar taste to Scaruffi

If that's so, I really don't understand why he didn't like King Crimson. I guess he was just being a contrarian for the sake of being a contrarian.

or maybe he just didn't like them

>Frank Zappa was a genius.
If we skip the part of calling people geniuses, could you find me an example of a person that has wrote everything from blues to chamber and orchestral music? Buckethead has released many albums, but I don't think he's explored as many genres as Frank did.

And it's not that he only explored many genres of music, he made memorable music in almost every single genre.

Talking to this girl who is asking me to reccomend her some music

>So what do you listen to?
>Oh everything user!
>Oh that's nice..(moment I realize I've got an uncultured idiot on my hands)
>Anything more specific though? Favourite genres or artists?
>Oh my favourite bands are Nirvana, Sleeping With Sirens and The Rollingstones!
>I'm not sharing my personal favourite artists with her cause I know she wouldn't appreciate them and just use their lyric for some edgy status later so I just recommend some Kayne
>Oh I don't really listen to Hip Hop, it's too mainstream!
>I listen to everything lol!
>Oh I don't really listen to hip hop!
>Too mainstream!
>Nirvana, Sleeping With Sirens
>Oh sorry then I don't know really know anything right now, sorry Sage.

I'm personally still trying to recover from that one..

What the actual...

/thread

bitches love to think the have a great music taste because they listened to urban outfitters spotify playlist

why are women so fucking stupid, i have yet to meet a single girl with good taste in music (that didn't absorb it from their boyfriend)

Do you unironically like prog, jazz fusion, and metal?

I feel sorry for you, you're obviously mentally challenged.

Lester Bangs is miles more intelligent and knowledgeable in music than you. He knows what's up. You don't.
Well he formed this opinion back before KC was canonized by a bunch of retarded high school kids

If you don't know, Lester Bangs was pivotal to the development of punk rock in the 1970s. The Velvet Underground and the Stooges were his favorites.

>There is such a thing as passable Britpop

Hi Carles

Lester Bangs was more of a rock writer than a critic. He was too emotionally and morally invested in music to really make it as a critic in the same way Christgau is, he's best when using rock and roll as a jumping-off point to talk about deeper things.

Nirvana and the Rolling Stones are great though

This made me vomit a little

correct

maladroit is the best weezer album.

"I like listening to classical music when I'm studying / doing sth else / as a background music"

>"classical"

Anybody who thinks that any Pink Floyd album is over 6/10 needs to be gassed
>inb4 retards post their unlistenable early albums

This

(You)

Do you unironically respect the opinion of a man who thinks that Nicki Minaj has more of a value as an ''artist'' than King Crimson?

Yes. KC is utter tripe. At least Minaj realises that her music isn't art.

He never said that Nicki Minaj has more value as an "artist" than King Crimson. He said that she made better music.

King Crimson is pretentious trash that feeds on people who think that watered-down jazz paired with banal "fantasy" lyrics is so deep and artsy.

>tfw ok computer is #1 instead of dsotm

>Artsy
Hello again Patrick!

>At least Minaj realises that her music isn't art.
Well, that's it, right? We should now praise mediocrity and people with no talent just because they've admitted it?

Have you actually tried listening to Nicki Minaj? She's a very talented rapper.

There is a difference between praise and correct categorisation. Nicki Minaj makes music to tap your foot to (I don't like it personally), KC make music for pseuds to masturbate to, usually the type of pseuds who think classical is 'boring'.

I know some women who know probably way more stuff than you do, and organize concerts with artists you will surely never meet in your entire life outside the awkward after-show encounter (e.g. people like Calvin Johnson and Xiu Xiu).
It's obvious that you are living in a shithole and have never seen what an actual music scene is like.

I don't consider music made for the sole purpose of being sold at being a product something I'd like to listen to. And I enjoy both prog and classical music.

And being a*

How else would you call those surf rock banda that arent the beatle or the beach boys? They arent quite bad, theyre just dated

I didn't once criticise prog.

kek you need to reevaluate your life if you don't think that 70s prog was an extremely commercial genre

i heard someone say the garden of delete was OPN selling out
like, he's less ambient yea but how on god's green earth listen to that album and think "yes. this was him trying to appease the masses."

>Music is more sophisticated than film, art or video games

Are you seriously saying that video games are more sophisticated than music? And that video games are an art?

>inb4 Cred Forums comes and spams Gone Home or Limbo or whatever the fuck

more sophisticated than games, yes. the rest are incomparable

No media platform is more sophisticated than the other

Co worker told me that lone stressed her out because there were no lyrics

>>music can be objectively good or bad
This literally invalidates your entire comment.

It makes no sense to compare apples with oranges and apple pies

sorry bud that's the right score, srry ur a plebe

How did you deduce that from my post? I don't get it.

it's overrated

>I don't consider music made for the sole purpose of being sold at being a product something I'd like to listen to
And yet you like prog.

I was trying to say that I don't enjoy pop music.

>This music is old, therefore bad

>music is good

Tbh the first time I listened to Tame Impala I was reminded ever-so-slightly of the Beatles

what it sounds like to me is you dislike your idea of pop music and you're being a pretentious fucking twat to build up some sort of /sodifferent/ image of yourself so you can jerk your ego off

It can be more nuanced than that.
Is this Iliad bad?

>I was trying to say that I don't enjoy pop music.
And yet you like prog.

Underrated

>album sounds similar to other album by different band in some aspect

DUDE ALBUM 2.0.

No, I'm not 14 and that's not my point of view at all. I respect some pop musicians (Amy Winehouse, Mariah Carey, Phil Collins, Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston) even though I don't enjoy the genre as a whole.

He was a fan of Lou Reed, Ornette Coleman, Marzette Watts, The Shaggs and Beefheart

I like Ornette Coleman and Captain Beefheart too, but I don't despise King Crimson. People are just different.

>I'm not 14
so you're 15

All of those artists are god-tier

kek

there's literally an explanation on his site

>the beatles
>surf rock

>post-avant jazzcore is better than progressive dreamfunk

Suede is great though

>Instrumental music isn't real music. Music has to have lyrics to be music

That's not really what I was irritated about when talking with this girl, she can enjoy whatever the fuck she wants. I was pissed she dismisses a whole genre for being "too mainstream" when her favourite artists are amoung the most mainstream of all time.

youtu.be/vzN3qO-qc8U

Actually this

Show this idiot some GYBE and ask them if you still need lyrics for "real music"

People who think 'boring' is valid criticism. It usually says more about the listener than it does about the music.

more like
>In redditbows is the best radiohead album

You have to understand that Christgau likes music that rocks, as in the danceable variety. He eventually warmed up to Fripp, but absolutely hated the likes of ELP and Jethro Tull.

I'm not trying to say that any of these categories are more sophisticated than the other but are you seriously trying to throw video games under the bus?
You can't be that retarded

Cred Forums - Music

Everyday we stray further from God's light.

I saw someone online calling that one Brian Eno/David Byrne album cultural appropriation because it's influenced by African musicians and I got extremely pissed off

Also my friend saying "Bob Dylan should've died in that motorcycle accident because he would've been a legend today"
Like nigga have you even heard Blood on the Tracks or Time Out of Mind

>RECOMMENDING MAINSTREAM ARTISTS TO PEOPLE

This is like recommending water when someone ask something good to drink, or coke or whateaver its the most famous drink in your country that they WILL KNOW THAT EXIST AND ALREADY TRIED IT

"Boring" is definitely a word that bothers me, since it's basically no more than a synonym for "I don't like it," but it implies the band is not being creative, even if they are and the reviewer just happens to not like the music.

tldr: 9/10 times it's an inaccurate criticism

>boring pseudointellectual crescendo-core
>good

What would it be from please please me to beatles for sale if not surf rock?

''talking heads are too 80's and dated''

Pop, and Rock 'n' Roll, maybe even just plain rock.

>Roger Waters-led Pink Floyd is good

>Paul McCartney was the best Beatle and made the best solo albums.

>kraftwerk invented electronic music

>Pink Floyd after Syd Barrett left is good

>Elvis Presley is the king of rock 'n' roll.

People don't actually believe this right?

>Pink Floyd is good

I overheard a girl say that father John misty is the John Lennon of our generation.

>Genesis lost it after Peter Gabriel left

That's a pretty dumb opinion considering they had at least four great albums with Phil Collins on the lead.

Genesis went downhill when the 80s happened, really, their albums after Duke are generally bland except for a couple of good tracks here and there. A lot of 70s artists had trouble adapting to the 80s, even Bowie made shit albums during that decade.

>The Beatles are bad and have done nothing for modern music.
>The Beatles first album are trash cause they're not innovtaive
You have to be mentally retarded to believe such ideas personally.

>lots of people like this song so it must be good
ugh

Invisible Touch is a pretty dope album tho

I don't care much for Invisible Touch, but pic related is a good pop album IMO.

Anything involving the word "relevant"

The fact that so many books still name the Beatles as “the greatest or most significant or most influential” rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success. The Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worthy of being saved.

>"the beatles are overrated"

do you really think that's a worse opinion? they're both pretty bad but c'mon

Lol what even I would of understood if she said Kevin Parker but...

I like Christgau as a writer and it makes up for the stuff that I disagree with him on.

It's called merseybeat you plebs.

rateyourmusic.com/genre/Merseybeat/

*flicks fedora*

>The beatles are not the most overrated band of all time

how do you get into an actual music scene user

This, I hear this elitist shit way too much.

"I don't like it, so it's not really music"

more like
>radiohead is a shit band and you should kill yourself if you enjoy them

What should it be called then?

this is true tho
Ram is the best album that anyone in the Beatles ever made

christ dude