Which one?

Which one?

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.rockbox.org/index.php/topic,50895.30.html
sony.co.uk/electronics/audio-signature-series-design
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I've enjoyed my Sansa

why is there always just basically one mp3 player? I can only assume there's some licensing agreement. Before Sansa there was something but I forgot. I'd know if I saw it.

The Clips run Rockbox and thanks to that can play every possible audio format. You can also play Doom on them. There's no competition.

It's a shame Sandisk is now making several new series of Clips which are a lot worse than the old Clip+ and Clip Zips, instead of just continuing to make the good stuff.

I just remembered I had a picture

the + and zip had terrible headphone jacks, the software constantly froze, and if you installed rockbox it deleted whatever internal memory adressing that there was, so you only got to use the expandable.

which is fine and dandy now that you can get 32-64gb class10 sd cards for dirt cheap, but at a time it made a difference.

the sport and jam eliminated all of those physical issues and improved battery life. they all still work with rockbox.

im not seeing the issue other than you being a trendyfaggotcomplainer

I'd buy an iPod shuffle instantly if it had 128gb of space. It'd help me listen to so much more music instead of sticking to my same artists over and over.

Why not a phone?

Battery life presumably. Portability. I miss having a standalone music player. I'm the post above yours. I want something like the shuffle with lots of space.

flip phone master race reporting

I'd go flip phone if I had a standalone mp3 player. Get me away from the pathetic smartphone addiction that everyone is suffering from in society.

I want a sony and it's going to be $650 which is quite a lot of money for me that I'm not going to have again for a long time. If I then get the wireless speaker I'm set, but I need boots or shoes, CDS, night out it adds up

>everyone
you mean teens and the 40-60 yo mother of three types?

That's not really a thing unless you're 16

You'd be surprised. I'm 22 and almost everyone my age is also addicted. People in their 30s too. I loathe smartphone culture.
Bluetooth speakers are 100% worth it. I use my JBL Xtreme every day for hours on end.

I'm thinking of buying pic related, which is at 250 euros not too expensive - albeit without including the SDHC card. Anyone got any experience with it?

Forgot your picture lad.

>uetooth speakers are 100% worth it. I us
Yeah, sit on the couch throw away the PC , get a cheap tablet, decent Walkman that will play my collection and Vevo videos

Gotta attach pic related, otherwise I look even more retarded.

im 31 and only have a smartphone because my work provided it, because i needed it.

I was at the bar with friends last night, 2 of the 8 people were on flip phones. One of them was my friends 24 year old brother.

I wouldn't be suprised, because I dont see it outside of the two groups I mentioned.

I think it might have more to do with the type of people you and I socialize with, and the places we go, are going to dictate the types of people we see and their actions.

If you are at starbucks, or a place where people are queueing or waiting, of course people are on their phones. If you are out with friends and they are on their phones, you dont have friends, you have loose associations.

Yep. I'm finding I need my laptop less and less. My collection of music is offline of course, but other than that I hook my phone up to the bluetooth speaker, listen and enjoy. I'm super casual and game on PS4 so a desktop is no need for me.

There are other options but I'm a bit nervous with the boutique players

I can't speak for Rockbox on the Clips many years ago because I didn't have one back then, although I did have an e280 and Fuze which worked just fine, but other than the easy to break (but on the other hand also easy to permanently fix) headphone jacks of the Clips, you're completely wrong. If those issues with internal memory ever existed they have long since been solved.

The Sport and the Jam do not work with Rockbox, at all. It is literally impossible to run Rockbox on their hardware.
forums.rockbox.org/index.php/topic,50895.30.html

I never said they shouldn't improve the Clip+ or Clip Zip, which is why I said they should have continued to make the good stuff and not that they should have continued making Clip+ and Clip Zips. There are many things they could have improved on, but the Sport and the Jam weren't improvements. Jam even stopped supporting FLAC in the official firmware - not that it makes much sense to have lossless files on an mp3 player, but why drop it if you already have it?

>i have no consideration for sound quality

but why? have you heard a decent midfi setup

>If you are at starbucks, or a place where people are queueing or waiting, of course people are on their phones
You may think me an idiot, but I think it's a poor excuse. People seemingly can't stand a second alone with their own brain. Just standing their in silence isn't enough. They have to instantly whip out the smartphone lest they look awkward to strangers they'll never see again.

>but why drop it if you already have it?
apple in a nutshell

>a decent m
I'm JUST not that wealthy, what were you thinking?

heh

Yeah, I want to unhook from them completely

I hate when people say this shit. Are you a meticulously obsessive sound engineer? Bluetooth speaker quality is amazing and over wireless you won't even notice the supposed "degradation" people go on about. It's enough for most people, even music enthusiasts. I'm there to enjoy my music, not obsess over the nitty gritty shit that I can't even hear. The sound quality is fine.

no, I dont think anyone is an idiot for doing anything. I just think that everyone has different reasons for doing shit.

I dont see people pulling up their phones to browse something, or read an ebook, or check their email is any less or more worse than walking into a place with headphones in. In both instances you are avoiding the outside world.

I think you get into issues when you flip out your phone and are obsessing over instagram or facebook, or whatever. Or likewise, you refuse to take down your headphones to order, or you have on open back headphones and force everyone around to listen. Or like the nigs do with the beats, the fold them down and use them like portable speakers.

Just being the devils advocate here, but I think people have reasons for doing shit, and just because you personally dont like the other side, doesn't mean they dont have justification behind why they check their phone instead of say read a paper, or magazine, or listen to music.

Forgot to mention the Sport has an LCD screen compared to the Zip's AMOLED.

eh, i was asking if you had ever head music on a decent setup. not if you could afford it.

I understand not being able to have it, but was more questioning why not have an aim to eventually get to it.

so no, you haven't actually heard music on a decent setup. Thats fine, I'm not here bashing people for switching to blutooth, you shouldn't bash me for asking a simple question.

fiiox1 is what i got
not as cheap as sansa but nicer to look at

>es in. In both instances you are avoiding the outside worl
No but those apps give the person nothing back when a paper will educate the individual, it's the choice of slurry (You) put in your head

My friend is studying to be a sound engineer. I've hung out in a studio for a 12 hour stretch. So yes, I've heard music on a good set up.

i have a fiiox1, its great, but it doesn't have embedded lyrics - you need syncronised .LRC files.

if you want some that I made - ( a lot of mu core ) i'll send you some

>ot have an aim to eventually get to it.
Well I'd build a Volkswagen before I bought my $x000 turntable, I've met hifi heads in the past and it was all about constant one up man ship than the music

I know you're being a devils advocate, simply creating an argument for the sake of it doesn't mean anything though.

I agree people have their reasons for doing things, but you'd have to at least agree to a point that society as a whole is pretty damn hooked on their precious smartphones, when in reality, most of them are just doing vain shit like Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat.

Out of those two Sansa, but they're both outdated tech

The average smartphone sounds better, has more space and has a better interface. Battery isn't an issue, listening to music is one of the least battery intensive things you can do

If you want a standalone music player I don't really see the point of anything that isn't hi-fi quality

iPod Classic 160 GB

/thread

Near impossible to get these days.

>this fucking guy

a studio, and a midfi setup have completely different purposes by try again.

are you still rocking a tube t.v.? or a 720i tv because you just cannot see the difference in the resolution? or because your cable provider doesn't stream any higher than 720i? Or because your console wont play higher than 30fps anyways?

Do you not have a dslr because you cellphone takes similar images, and if not, but close enough?

Do you not buy movies, or books because they are available at the library?

You are being an ass munch for the sole purpose of being an assmunch.

>I upgrade everything as I see fit, except sound, because FUCK AUDIOPHILES, even though we can measurable know the difference with stereo seperation, and clarity, I will absolutely refute anything is better than a simple blutooth setup.

Still the best high capacity mp3 player ever made

right, but that doesn't mean its
>the cellphone generation
before cellphones people still gossiped, the star existed, E entertainment existed, talk soup existed.

Its not the cellphone invented people acting like that, people have been doing shit like that long before the cellphone gave them a small internet port to do it on.

Nigger my speaker was almost $400. It's hardly comparable to $20 earphones you fucking retard. Just because you have some weird confirmation bias to your ridiculously expensive over priced setup does not mean mine is of inferior quality because of your post purchase rationalization bullshit.

This.
Had mine for 15 years.

I know I'm probably just super lucky, but if you have the money to buy a new one now, at the inflated prices due to them not being made anymore, then do. I'd say it is the best media device for anyone wanting a large amount of space on a standalone mp3 player.

It's more that people are rude as fuck now because they can't leave their phones alone even to have a 2 minute conversation because they're too busy checking all of their pointless notifications.

>confusing midfi with wasting money
i said midfi. talking 500-2000 system pal

BS. I have a rockboxed clip + right now and I can use my 8 gb internal as well as my 64 gb SD. Everything works perfect. This is literally the best music player I ever had.
iPod classic is so chunky and I hate navigating around with that fucking wheel. Also I had to use all these workarounds to not use iTunes (Foobar with plugins etc.)

people were like that before phones though, those people were going to be rude whether they had the phone or not.

you are blaming the phone, its not the phone, its the person.

not really, there are lots of second hand ones floating around. they are just pricey, and collectable.
rightly so, I'd say.

It's a combination of the two. Of course rude people existed back then, but it's a fact that people are more hooked now.

Perfect example. Every time I have lunch at work, all of my co-workers sit their in silence staring down at their screens. No one gives a shit to even try and have a conversation.

agreed. people just didn't have an easy excuse to ignore someone. newspapers were the phones of old.

>ipod classic is so chunky
It's really not that big for what it was.

Or you get a sansa clip + for a fraction of the price. micro SDXC works on the clip and the 128 gb is only €50 or so.

and again, like I've been trying to tell you. I'm 31, i was actively working before smartphones were widely the standard.

lunchrooms were always silent, people read books, the newspaper, tabloids.

That shit is not new and its not the phones addicting people.

Yeah if that were the case it would conveniently seem like you're smarter than anyone using a smartphone, but you're not and that's certainly not the case.

>inb4 someone posts that SAME photo of people reading the newspaper on trains
People did talk on trains. They still do of course, but definitely not as much. Catch any train into the city early in the morning and all you'll see is thousands of people craning their necks down at their screens.

Strange, because at my first job I saw a clear distinction between the generations. At the time I was 18, but I had a lot of coworkers who were in their 50s and 60s. All of them were laughing, chatting, having conversations. All of the young adults were glued to their phones and disassociating themselves from everyone.

I don't think I'm smarter, or better than anyone, I just think it's disgusting how hooked people are. Regardless of whether you disagree with me or not. We're obviously not going to see eye to eye on it as this is all just in my experience.

Why are you hanging out with those people? Or do you legitimately think everyone acts like that? Because they don't

I down with it

You can read the news on a phone. In fact you can access a lot more information and educational material on a phone than with a printed newspaper. Who are you to say what people are doing with their smartphones if you don't even have one?

Of course I don't think EVERYONE is like that. That'd be ignorant. I think a lot of people are like that though, and it's only getting worse. Shit man, I have a friend who pretty much forgets about his smartphone. He often doesn't even bring it with him to places. He just doesn't care about it. I respect that. Most people I know though, it's like their heroin. Huge freak outs when they can't find it, have to be constantly replying to people.

>I don't think I'm smarter, or better than anyone, I just think it's disgusting how hooked people are. Regardless of whether you disagree with me or not. We're obviously not going to see eye to eye on it as this is all just in my experience.

right, its all anecdotal, which is why I said way up here

>I think it might have more to do with the type of people you and I socialize with, and the places we go, are going to dictate the types of people we see and their actions.

It hurts that I'm not hearing it comfy you understand

You're not wrong. People can access any information on their phone with the internet access we have these days.

But, from my experience, and I have a lot of experience observing this, very few people are furthering their education on their smart phones. Most of them are aimlessly scrolling through Facebook, Instagram, taking selfies for snapchat, and replying to text messages. None of that is very educational stuff.

Fair enough, but if a person wanted to read something educational or fulfilling, their smartphone isn't stopping them. Even if they didn't have it, they'd find something else just as mundane to fill the time rather than read a newspaper. This isn't a generational thing, it's just what young people do

we should take some time out to listen to these people

sony.co.uk/electronics/audio-signature-series-design

>it's just what young people do
I hope so. Just be good if people could get past it already. I want to have a conversation cunt, not watch you reply to messages.

Having conversations with friends is less meaningful than looking at the back of the next person in line at Starbucks. This is what stupid old cunts actually believe.

>he's still blaming the phone
you need to change your surroundings dude, or your expectations. either way, its not the phone thats the issue.

Yeah, find a field

what..?

I will be cosy

he's saying, in argument against the perception of old peoples opinion, that looking at a phone is better than just standing like a dipshit staring at the head of the person queuenig in front of you.

the context is that an old person is arguing that its better to be off a phone and conversating, or not hiding your insecurities by constantly staring at your phone.

its been a silly morning on Cred Forums

This man wants you to be comfortable

I was the person who said that people always instantly stare at their phones in the queues. I'm only 22 myself. Age has nothing to do with it.

People aren't doing anything interesting in the queue at a starbucks anyway. THey're just "liking" shit on Facebook and looking to get their own hit of dopamine.

i was only explaining to whoever both sides of the discussion

that one sucks dick, I have one and the buttons stopped working really quickly, also the bass is fucked up loud

Or they could be reading emails, reading the news, talking to friends etc.
Stop making assumptions in an effort to put yourself above others

I must say, I'm not that big on lyrics for it to be an issue but for this pricetag you'd expect it to be on there. How's the audio? WHat kind of headphones d'you use with it?

cut off your jabby fingers get off of my product

Like I said, I don't think I'm "above" others. These are merely from my own experiences, observations and "people watching" as it were.

lol, he said it twice
>it might make me look like im thinking im better but im not
so that citation, in his head, automatically makes it okay that he completely overlooks any opposing situations to his argument.

looks like he's said it 3 times now
>dont judge me by my actions, judge me by my intentions. But absolutely dont expect it from me

is the vibe I've gathered from this lad through this thread

You clearly do, though. You literally just said no one with a smartphone is doing anything meaningful in a Starbucks queue. Even if that was the case, what exactly would be alternative there?

No I took them on board. Like I said, from my own experiences, this is mostly what I've seen. I specifically remember one instance, a guy about my age (~20ish) quite literally just flicking through Facebook, pretty much not looking at anything at all, probably liked about 20-30 posts in a minute. None of that shit is meaningful, it's just pointless and a way to pass the time. Doubt he remembers any of it either.

You've described smartphone users with utter condescension so far so I'm guessing you do

If I thought I was better than others I'd call them out, but it's not my place, so I vent my pointless anger online on an anonymous music board.

Do you guys just drag and drop album folders with your clip?

That's how it works.

Or you could describe how they waste their time in a condescending manner and act like reading a newspaper is somehow more meaningful

thats anecdotal evidence though, you are making something up, backing it by several personal encounters, and refusing to listen to anything else that goes against what you are saying.

just so you are aware, this is not how the world works, and if you are having this type of argument in your real life, people are going to look at you like you are a moron.

You should be more open to other peoples opinions and experiences, and care a little less about others actions. It goes a long way.

Your current trajectory places you at being a narcissistic asshole that no one wants to be around by the age of 25 because you've already figured everything out that you need to know by simply looking 3 feet around you in each direction and deciding that you know better.

I strongly suggest opening up some and accepting that you dont know better, that times were not better before you were born, that life is alrite. Maybe you'll get a little more positivity pushed back your direction if you work to project it.

Pretty much.

>if you are having this type of argument in your real life, people are going to look at you like you are a moron.
You'd be surprised how many other people share my opinion. I realise I came across as a snobby uppity cunt, but I know for a fact that I'm not the only one that feels this way.

no dude, everyone feels that way. but we live in a society, so we work towards not being pieces of shit.

and thats the point that you are completely ignoring. You have decided based on your experience in your 22 years that you already know
>for a fact
that this is how things are, and are completely unwilling to attempt to be different.

its you man, you are the issue with your problems.

let's see ...

Are they as presumptuous as you?

Humans assume things all the time. I'm not the only one. Don't you act like you're above that.

Autistic thread, lads.

A bit of self awareness would do you a lot of good

lol, yuup

*pfffffff*

you are the issue with your problems
Hey I never said I was without issues. I know I have a big list of them, but I still stand by what I said about people being addicted to my phones. If you don't notice it, you must be sucked into it yourself.

Baseless assumptions are not ok though. Do you really think otherwise?

>baseless
They're not baseless considering they were from dozens of personal experiences.

Sure, everyone assumes things from time to time. You seem to assume a lot

Anecdotal evidence is not a valid base with which you can make assumptions about smartphone users in general. We've already been through this.

>you seem to assume a lot
You're assuming that I assume a lot. From a single opinion on a single topic on an anonymous image board.

I mean there are hundreds of articles on smartphone addiction scattered throughout the internet. It's not as if I just pulled this out of my arse.

pot/kettle

no one argued against that dude. the argument was that its a certain generation, and its something that only happened with cellphones.

i think you called it
>cellphone culture

the argument against that was that that is how humans have been for a long time

you disputed that your anecdotal evidence pointed the opposite way,

sever people explained to you that people are just going to be people

then you started telling people that if only others would do as you personally thought was the rigth thing to do, it would somehow be better for everyone

then someone explained that thats not how the world works, and that staring at people heads while in line is not better

your rebuttal was that its better than getting euphoria from liking things on facebook

then several other people explained that you are making judgements based on your brief experience with a couple friends, and that you didn't want to be talking to someone who is only responding to their messages.

someone explained to you that those people probably dont like you, and that you probably need new friends

so you switched the subject to taking breaks and its only the 20 somethings that do it, and that the 50+ crowd talks at lunch

then someone said that its you, that you are not talking and that its your enviroment

you argued again, that if only people would do as you wished, things would be better

then someone pointed out again that thats not how the world works, that you should change your outlook and you might get a different feeling

you tripled down stating that you know for a fact that at 22 you know that this is how the world works, and if only those pesky cellphones were gone, the world would work the way you want it.

do i have this all down right? Now you are saying that I, or others are sucked into ourselves?

are flip phones cool again?

Are any of them backed up by anything concrete, or is it just more people like you writing about their personal experience in a condescending manner? This crotchety whining about people being addicted to their phones is quite frankly completely fucking useless. It doesn't pinpoint the problem in any meaningful way, almost always paints a generation or group with generalizations and assumptions, and doesn't offer any solution or actual statistics. Come up with an actual study that backs up what you're saying and people might actually start giving a shit.

There are many info graphs and statistics about smartphone addiction yes.

>someone explained to you that those people probably dont like you, and that you probably need new friends
No one said that, they said those people were going to be rude regardless. One of my best friends since high school, who I still see to this day is hooked on his smartphone. I love him and all, but man it gets annoying when he's on his phone all the time.

>several times an hour
this is also anecdotal. i have to check my phone several times an hour while at work, if im on lunch break that continues for my lunch.

if we are at starbucks and you are there, and i've check my email while in line. in confirms your confirmation bia, yet i've only done it for work, not personal euphoria by liking something on facebook. but you've already decided that anyone that is on their phone in line is doing meaningless shit because you've had a few friends whom you've seen for a fact doing such.

being that you're 22 ill let it slide, but im going to tell you outright, if you best friend, that you love, is on his phone the majority of the time you are with him. he doesn't want to be around you.

I've been using a Clip+ running Rockbox for a few years now and it's the best.

I also bought a pair of VE Monk Plus and they sound amazing, definitely the best bang for your buck!

>i have to check my phone several times an hour
Have to? Want to? Compelled to? Which is it? Why do you HAVE to check it? Even in this day and age, while you may disagree, phones in general aren't a necessity to survive.

>he doesn't want to be around you
You don't know shit. I don't just invite myself around to his house and annoy him. He invites me. He just happens to be addicted to his phone. If he didn't want to see me we wouldn't keep in touch. Only yesterday he was suggesting we catch up. Don't act like you know who these people are.

They're a necessity for some people's jobs. Why are you asking about survival?

>no ones experience can be different than mine
im a foreman for a brick crew on a job site, there are many changes from the architects and safety inspectors that come down.

when doing layout on a site, they can change 2-3 times an hour depending on what gets decided as it moves up the chain of command.

when the architect is in boston, and the building is in detroit, and the safety guy has to answer to the gc's safety guy who is in milwaukee. email is the fastest way for us to coordinate these changes

yes, I have to check it several times an hour while i work.

now, i know that its extremely obtuse for you to even consider that ones experience might be outside of your normal arms reach of experience, and that for 22 years of age you already have assured yourself for a fact that you know better than everyone around you. but yes, people in fact have uses for cellphones outside of euphoria of pressing a like

>lying to yourself makes it any better
you are a very sad individual.

>Shareware

He literally just said he checks it for work, so I'd say he has to yeah.

>making me feel bad because you're a cunt
You are a very sad individual

>mp3 player with a touchscreen

never got the point of this, may as well use a phone at that stage

Children please!

kys cunt

ruining the mp3 player choice posts thread

Come on dude it's 2016, why can't they be on their phones when its just the tech of the age? Just let them live, they're just entertaining themselves or communicating with others, not even old people act like you, my grandpa has a smartphone and we always talk and send pictures of eachother to see what we look like that day, what's so wrong about the "smartphone generation"?

>"smartphone generation"?
different poster here. The smartphone is endemic of the times that have been. To witness the ordered world actual spiritual connection is required

>tfw you need a player that can handle 256 gb cards. I fucking hate the fiio

PCI compliance. I listen to music all day at work, but can't use my phone for this reason

Is fhat musicbee?? Does it finally have a gradient background for albums instead of one matching color?!

man just buy the x5, i got mine for like 200 bucks and it was perfect

i feel you, f a m. there's so many songs i have on youtube that i rediscover and now that i have a job that pays well i can afford to get them. now i just want something to play them all

nothing wrong with that, i'm guessing it has something to do with how dedicated it is to playing music specs and what not
>portability
>phone
do you carry a payphone around or something?
i understand the battery thing but i don't think its that serious i mainly use my phone for music and di radio and youtube.

I was going to go for maybe a Sony NWZ-ZX1 but I'm a bit concerned I'm paying over the odds for an old technology

I'm not sure if it browse the web and can email. Maybe a cheaper Sony and a small tablet then a speaker. I'm keen to unchain myself from this desk.

Laptop + aux into your speaker friend, you can't go wrong. I'm looking at the Klipsch KMC 3 btw, you might like it

nah, desktop for gaming, tablet for mail and Cinéma vérité, MP3 player for audio, wireless speaker for all devices

Some serious 'le wrong generashun' type shit in this thread.

Got one on amazon 2 months ago (120gb 6th gen because that's what I could afford at the time) for like $150 or something, 2 fucking days later when it said 5. I was so stoked, and it was basically brand new. It even came with the earbuds. I still haven't filled it up yet, its so awesome

Why not just use an aux? Wireless is worse sound quality (bluetooth in particular fails/degrades regularly over time)

since Im a poorfag, i probably going to buy this.
is it any good?

I don't know but it'll b fun having a Sony player

well it'd be laying across the floor while I sit on the couch, that's not comfortable

I have one. It's pretty nice, and it can even accept 128 micro SD cards which is what I'm using. The os is decent.

which model do you have?

I have the newer shuffle, and I really like it. little fucker is indestructible, which is good news since I fall off a skateboard for fun. i'd give anything for a microsd slot on that bitch though, I cant stand constantly having to rotate songs on and off. I also have a sandisk thing similar to pic related. it's ok, but has a low volume cap and warns me about hearing damage every fucking time I turn it up. annoying as fuck. also, you can accidentally power it off even when you lock the buttons. dumb.