A few years ago, didn't Ian Curtis's Belgian 'mistress' say that in fact they had not had a sexual relationship?

A few years ago, didn't Ian Curtis's Belgian 'mistress' say that in fact they had not had a sexual relationship?

Someone floated the theory that he was gay, and that's what he committed suicide over, not the wife/mistress impasse. How popular is that theory? What say you, Cred Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mvPIvoJkmGs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I have nothing to comment on this, I just wanted to tell you that I love you.

He doesn't look very happy t b h

>tfw you will never take ian by the hand and show him the pleasures of a normal man

>He doesn't look very happy t b h
Not so much that photo on particular, but I read an interview with Kevin Cummings who took most of the famous black and white JD pictures you see and it seems he purposely took pictures that made Ian look more like the Tortured Artist type and less like the somewhat ordinary guy he was.

He said that he had to tell Ian to stop smiling because he was wasting film.

>Ian Curtis
>He doesn't look very happy

That's him on his wedding day.

To be fair, Ian and Deborah's marriage seems to have been like A Kind of Loving or one of those kinds of movie that Morrissey likes, that his own life never resembled.

Actually, I immediately reget saying this but I'll let it stand... for the historical record. Deborah seems a far nicer person than the other three guys in JD, who her book confirmed to me as, as I had expected, a thick bunch of hod-carriers who formed NO for the sole reason that they liked being cainers and rising at noon.

Have you read Peter Hook's book on JD?

No, anything good in it?

no he was just a depressed person
stop forcing the gay meme for every death ffs

Is this a thing? I don't remember a gay meme coming up with any other deaths.

Chris Bell from Big Star often gets the gay treatment despite there being any information from anyone that actually knew him on the matter. They mainly claim he loved Alex Chilton

I found it interesting and worth a read, but it does focus more on the real, quite ordinary people behind the JD myth so I can see people not liking it.

Also, I heard Ian himself didn't come out looking so good in his wife's book, did you find this to be the case?

*not being

You always hear the "maybe he was gay and couldn't deal with it" whenever someone kills themselves, however little it fits the facts of what happened.

I thought the no sexual relationship was more to do with the fact that he was married at the time.

Seriously, this theory is even more retarded than these gay theories usually are. Why would he even have a mistress in the first place, with all the trouble it brought his marriage if he was gay?

Yeah, I'd say that he does come across as a bit of an arsehole in his wife's book, but not completely unsympathetically. It's certainly very demythologising, which it sounds like Hook's book continues, except I never expected him to be anything but ordinary.

The theory was that she wasn't a mistress.

He did used to go to gay clubs. 'For the music', he said.

Thanks, I might check it out.
I really like Joy Division but I hate the mythology surrounding Ian as a Tortured Artist.

This was common in 80s England though. So much of the music of the time was coming straight from the gay community.

The mythologising of Chris Bell seems to me to be partly fueled by a desire to detach Big Star from 1. Chilton's wacky, undisciplined solo career, and 2. Chilton's increasingly acknowledged creepiness as an individual.

Nick Drake gets this.

It doesn't really gibe with the rest of Curtis's character, though. And he died in 1980.

Didn't Chris Bell die in a car accident though? I don't think that has any bearing on if he was gay or not.

Happy reading!

I know what you mean, though I think some of the prosaic or 'down-to-earth' element in his surroundings probably helped do him in. I can't imagine confiding in Peter Hook.

>coming straight from the gay community
kek
(sorry)

I think it more so had to do with his depression, the feeling of being overworked or pressured by Joy Division's increasing popularity, and the uneasiness of his marriage. I remember reading somewhere that Ian was taken to the hospital for a suicide attempt or some type of self infliction, and his manager wheeled him into the studio to record before he even had time to rest.

I think Ian Curtis had borderline personality disorder, having read both books on him. When someone has that, its difficult to tell what the fuck their character is.

kek, his face is just like 'CAN'T WAKE UP (WAKE ME UP INSIDE'.

'Yes, I'm very happy. Why do you ask?'

youtube.com/watch?v=mvPIvoJkmGs

I thought he killed himself because his epilepsy was getting worse

Didnt doctors say he probably wouldnt have lived another 10 years anyway

Never stops being funny.

I wasn't aware epilepsy was life-threatening.

Yeah i mean sometimes if the siezures are severe enough you can basically go into a coma

You probably know this already but you can get seizures while taking a bath and drown

My first girlfriend was severely epileptic and died from a seizure. Hadn't seen her for years at this point though.

Ian almost died a few times from his seizures. Grand Mals are scary shit.

Whoa

They paint his departure from Big Star and depression, along with his immersion in Christianity, as being due to guilt over his honosexuality.

I actually have epilepsy myself and yeh they are pretty scary. First of all when you regain conciousness you're in literally EXCUTIATING pain, exatrabated by moving for some reason, so like if you move 1 finger you feel like you're gonna actually die. Plus you're confused and dont know who you are or where you are so having a bunch of people crowded around you panicking just makes it worse. I remeber this one time I had like a crowd of people around me and I was convinced I was just hallucinating it but later one of the people there told me it was actually real, its just hard to describe, so not only are you in excutiating pain but everything happening around you just seems like a big nonsensical blur, idk how I even remeber to speak english. Then lastly during your seizure you probably underwent some kind of physical trauma, one time I broke my foot during the fall, one time I woke up with my face busted open and covered in blood, you usually bite off a chunk of your tounge and theres blood in your mouth, sometimes people shit themselves, etc.

Fortunatley mine is really well controlled but like back in the 1980s treatment wasnt as good, its really easy to imagine why someone with a bad case of epilepsy would have been like "yeah fuck this im just gonna off myself" instead of living with that shit

Sorry for blogging

Dude she lost control lmao

Every thread should start this way desu senpai.

No, it's really interesting, thanks for posting. I had no idea it was like this.

kek

would've been better with wind sound effects

So, if someone is having a seizure, should you put a wallet or something in their mouth so they don't bite their tongue off?

ILL DEVOUR YOU

Yes, and preferably something soft aswell so they dont shatter their teeth.