Is gentle giant worth listening?

Is gentle giant worth listening?

How good are their albums besides octopus?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=x4obeqaxhRs
youtube.com/watch?v=r46aOKsFm5U
youtube.com/watch?v=uUyDcGSMPEQ
youtube.com/watch?v=7RXY4VOAz78
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First song on s/t is one of my favorites of all time

The Power And The Glory is really good too

I like "Gentle Giant", OP, I also like the song "Focus" by Hocus Pocus

youtube.com/watch?v=x4obeqaxhRs

It's a good gateway band if want to get out of metal. Used to love a couple of their songs. Can't tell which album is best because most of them aren't coherent at all. They have some great tunes I still love to this day. Give them a listen, I think their an essential prog band. They probably were more impressive live.

youtube.com/watch?v=r46aOKsFm5U

Their first seven LPs are all worth listening if one is a prog fan in my opinion. Very consistent band till 1975, then they start making shitty LPs BUT they did release a sick ass live recording in 1977 called Playing The Fool.

If you're new to prog, I would honestly recommend going through some of the stuff most people already know about because GG have one hell of an anti-prog filter. But if you do legit enjoy prog definitely check them out.

S/T and Acquiring the Taste are great.
After that, Visconti leaves. The playing is just as good, but the production is just terrible.

>I like "Gentle Giant", OP, I also like the song "Focus" by Hocus Pocus

I feel you.

It's your typical, dime a dozen, cookie cutter prog rock. It all sounds the same

Really? Can you name a prog band that sounds like Gentle Giant that came before them?

Why does it have to be before them? I'm saying all prog music sounds the same. And gentle giant just happens to be one of the pioneers of a genre of music that all sounds the same.

But if I have to name a few.

Genesis, yes, ELP

>And gentle giant just happens to be one of the pioneers of a genre of music that all sounds the same.

>Why does it have to be before them?

Because that's how you know a band is original. Better listen to whoever pioneered it than the later bands who copied them.

>Genesis, yes, ELP

Wow you really do know a lot about prog rock.

>It's your typical, dime a dozen, cookie cutter prog rock. It all sounds the same

I think you are wrong, not all progressive rock sounds the same. Listen to the song "Awaken" or "Mind Drive" by Yes for example

youtube.com/watch?v=uUyDcGSMPEQ

Nah. The only band that comes close to Gentle Giant's approach to more technical based songwriting are Yes and Rush. Yes is too far on the symphonic side with a more grandiose feel to be compared to GG, and Rush lacks the psychedelic feel of GG even on albums where they, like GG, do that fantasy world stuff.

Genesis is closer to prog's folk roots while ELP is super keyboard centric symphonic prog that is far from GG's style.

>The only band that comes close to Gentle Giant's approach to more technical based songwriting are Yes and Rush

That's what I said, I said listen to the song "Awaken" by Yes:

youtube.com/watch?v=7RXY4VOAz78

Listen to something like Henry Cow, Magma, Univers Zéro or Kōenjihyakkei them tell me it sounds like Yes, Genesis, ELP or Gentle Giant.

In a Glass House is far and away their best album imo

They are one of my favorite prog bands of all time. They are so unique and I've never found anything quite like them

It's tough to choose a favorite album, because they have so many good ones, but if I had to choose it would be a tie between Power and the Glory and Three Friends

Did you only read the first sentence?

No, I read his entire post.

I listened to Three Friends the other week and loved it. I recommend