Which was better?

Which was better?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=x4obeqaxhRs
youtube.com/watch?v=uUyDcGSMPEQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

protip: its grunge

Grunge. The worst of those four grunge bands is better than the best of those four thrash bands. They're all (or were) great though. Actually I could definitely do without Anthrax.

Megadeth used to be good but then Mustaine re-mixed the albums and now they all sound like crap. Like the original vinyl mix of Youthanasia was better than all the grunge albums that came out at the same time in the 1990's but the CD remix of Youthanasia that they sell now is awful

youtube.com/watch?v=x4obeqaxhRs

I think you linked the wrong video.

>Megadeth used to be good but then Mustaine re-mixed the albums and now they all sound like crap.
Yeah I'm kinda with you on that.

>Like the original vinyl mix of Youthanasia was better than all the grunge albums that came out at the same time in the 1990's
nah

Nirvana > Metallica > Megadeth > Slayer > Alice in Chains > Soundgarden > Anthrax > Pearl Jam

Kek

You laugh, but it's the truth.

If you're 15 maybe.

Niether, it's the big four of Black Metal.

>Mayhem
>Burzum
>Immortal
>Darkthrone

top kek

Why were grunge musicians so attractive?
why were they always whining when they literally had it all?

You top kek, but it's the truth.

>aic>nirvana>metallica>pearl jam/megadeth/slayer>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>soundgarden/anthrax

>Immortal
>Not Emperor

the big 4 of 1994 punk rock:

Green Day, Offspring, Rancid, NOFX

Slayer > early Metallica > AIC > Nirvana > Anthrax > Soundgarden > Megadeth > Pearl Jam > Metallica now

stop the thread i want to get off

Thrash by far
It actually was a good scene

>being this gay

Are there even many grunge bands outside those four worth checking out? The only other decent ones are Fudge Tunnel and Mudhoney.

sure mane wateva helps u sleep at night

:(

Being this wrung

Melvins
Afghan Whigs
Screaming Trees
Paw

the big 4 of nu metal >>>>>>

>korn
>deftones
>limp bizkit
>slipknot

Soundgarden>all

this for sure

Melvins are sludge, not grunge

Megadeth=Metallica=Slayer=Nirvana>Alice In Chains=Soundgarden=Anthrax>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>poop>>>>>>>>>>Pearl Jam

Reasoning: Metallica, Slayer, and Megadeth were all innovators in the thrash genre with their own sound and strengths. Slayer was the extreme, Metallica was the poetic, and Megadeth was the cerebral. Anthrax unfortunately lags behind without a "Iconic" lineup with a revolving door of musicians, and their music doesn't hold up as well today as the previous, still good thrash.

Nirvana were innovators, as was known. You hear many an argument for how Nirvana were just stealing from other bands but really it's just butthurt Nirvana haters. Bleach draws influence from the likes of Melvins, sure, but they're still two completely different bands. Nevermind draws influence from Pixies, sure, but they're still two completely different bands. Fact of the matter is, Cobain was an incredible songwriter with a knack for turning the simple into the beautiful. Even the b-sides are good and album worthy.

Alice In Chains has a very 90's sound, but they really capture that sound in a wonderful way. There is an atmospheric quality to AIC's music that is not present in Nirvana. That being said, even with the stellar musicianship of all the members, and great songwriting, their hair metal roots creep in often. Alice in Chains can sometimes tread very close to the corny territory, and it's suspected of a band that essentially switched sounds because they knew Hair metal was on the way out.

Soundgarden are all EXCELLENT musicians, but the songwriting is just not up to par with the previous bands. Sometimes Chris's voice didn't mesh as well as it should have with some of their more slower stuff, and when they got fast and heavy, there was a lot of Zep-aping present. Even with all that, they made some great songs, made some less than great songs, but were a seminal rock band of the 90s.

And next someone's going to say that grunge isn't even a genre. I don't care. Melvins had a close relationship with/were a part of the scene. They count.

dope post

Good shit man. I like your rationale about everything except I think Soundgarden ought to be right at the top. Virtually everything you said about Nirvana drawing from but differing and distancing themselves from their influences applies to them as well.

But anyway good shit.

*also, Alice in Chains reached greater heights than Nirvana, but Nirvana had that sweet consistency. Practically every song Cobain wrote was good, whereas Alice In Chains have incredible songs, and meh songs sprinkled throughout.

Pearl Jam is just bad, dude. I can't even explain it. They're like Alice in Chains in that their sound is very 90s, but in a bad way. Preachy, protobuttrock from the warbling Eddie Vedder and his friends. They strike a good song here and there, no doubt, but they're the real root of the problem in terms of buttrock if you ask me. Ten is a decent album, riddled with songs that are essentially jokes now. Even Flow (though a cool song) is just stadium sized classic rock in new clothes. Very surface level, very accessible, you know, boring. I used to listen to Ten frequently and I don't remember most of the songs besides alive, jeremy, even flow, black, once and the chorus to why go. Roughly half of the album and the rest is a blur. Vs, the album everyone who doesn't like Ten says is "the good one" is an equal shit show. Pearl Jam just sucks.

what about Green River, Mudhoney, Malfunkshun, Mother Love Bone, Skin Yard, Love Battery, L7, Babes In Toyland?

They had maybe two sludge albums

Grunge.

Mostly cause I despise the modern metal scene. It's commerciality, it's edginess, it's pretense of "musicianship", and it's attempt at being Artistic all start here.

Grunge fans evolved in a way that metalheads weren't able to. Grunge begat some decent strains of indie, punk, rawk, and noise cause their influence dissipated in a way that still promoted growth. Moreover it gave those strains an audience. Noise+melody+songwriting+sincerity=Good is the summation of that scene in the public's mind, and it was a good take away.

blink-182

Why was I expecting this?

>I think you linked the wrong video.

You're right! Sorry about that. I make typos sometimes and accidentally link to the wrong video, heh.

youtube.com/watch?v=uUyDcGSMPEQ

edge

nice bait, actually made me snort out my nose

Thanks for an actual well-argued and thought out reply that I agree with

>Babes in Toyland
>L7

my African-American

They never get the credit they deserve.

The Afghan Whigs should've been chart toppers. How 90s alternative radio managed to fuck that up so badly is beyond me.

Fontanelle is a masterpiece bro

L7 is more badass than anyone else in this thread. She threw a bloody tampon into the crowd, that's amazing.

>Ska

So good, it's still going on today.

What is the big 4 of all waves of ska?

Big 4 of Dadrock
>Bruce Springsteen
>Bob Seger
>Van Morrison
>Led Zeppelin

Only good post ITT

Catch 22/Streetlight Manifesto
Operation Ivy
Reel Big Fish
Sublime

Big 4 of doom
Candlemass
Black Sabbath
Electric Wizard
Pentagram

Black sabbath is the only good one

Nigga I will fight you.
Candlemas is bai

It's so boring desu and their first album was better

how about Big 4 of Britpop

>Blur
>Oasis
>Pulp
>Suede

WHO?

Soundgarden > Nirvana > Slayer > Metallica > Megadeth > Alice in Chains > Pearl Jam >>>>>> Anthrax

>metallica>megadeth
>grunge > thrash
Top kek

>bob seger

wow your dad was proto-reddit

If it ain't Barzum, its bullpucky

The one thing I can say good about Pearl Jam is they made Vitology, which is a really good album. Besides that stroke of luck I completely agred.

>Electric Wizard
>Bad
Someone's got some real shitty opinions ITT

Skin Yard
Plexi
Truly
Love Battery
Whipping Boy

These are all fantastic.

Good analysis. I think what made Nirvana stick out from the rest was Kurts roots. He dug a lot of lofi and experimental stuff, and never was afraid to incorporate those influences in his sound. That and Kurts undeniable melodic genius is what imo makes Nirvana the best of the 4, despite the comparatively shorter discography.

Imo Slayer are the best of the 4 thrash group. Their output from 1984 until 1990 is flawless. Their aesthetic was also the most original and unique out of the 4, and they ended up maassively influence death and black metal, which is always a plus.

This. One of the more unique grunge bands.

They were badass, but their music doesnt really hold upnowadays. Sounds way too dated, even a bit corny at times. A lot of the lesser grunge bands suffer from this unfortunely.

Manic Street Preachers, Pulp and Suede shit all over the rest of britpop. Then again, the Manics never really were britpop.

>implying those are the big 4 of grunge and the canon isn't mudhoney, screaming trees, pixies, Melvins, Soundgarden

Burzum is by far the worst of the 4 he mentioned you turbo pleb

Believe it or not, but I actually think Green Day would win this.

To hell with Grunge, it started us down this path of bar lowering and just look at where we are now.

>Pixies
>grunge
Get your shit together m8