Kek'd and checked

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=J7bNrCRY618
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Viet Cong was such a sweet name too.
also, the Viet Cong were did literally nothing wrong

pussies band in history atm
should have kept the name

If they truly wanted to be a punk band they wouldn't have bended over to the biggest cry babies of all-time, the sjw crowd. They should have told them to go fuck themselves. Also the Viet Cong kicked Americas' ass.

>If they truly wanted to be a punk band
they're post-punk bud kill yourself

Not as bad as Sioux Falls changing their name to Strange Ranger

They couldn't get any fucking shows because of their band name, they were basically forced to change

Sioux Falls changed their name? Da fuq.

why would you want to play at places like that in the first place

to survive

>hey everyone, a concerned individual recently reached out to us over the issue of our name being potentially problematic. we want to continue the dialogue publicly to find out how people feel about it. it is not our wish to hurt or offend anyone. obviously, the intent was never to appropriate native american culture. we formed this band as decisively unwoke 16 yr olds in 2008 and the name came about in reference to something isaac's mom said about the city of Sioux Falls. after her comment, we grabbed onto the name as it evoked a sort of western blandness (out of the way, working class, nothing-special-about-it sort of stereotypes) that we identified with (we are from a small town in montana) and we liked how it sounded. we have discussed this issue internally in the past and resolved that if we were in fact hurting native american communities in using this name, we would undoubtedly change it. how do you all feel? what are your thoughts? we would like as much input on this issue as possible. as we move forward and work on new music we need to figure out if we will be taking our name with us.

>decisively unwoke 16 yr olds

The world we live in, I fucking swear to god

Band names are not set in steal. I personally like coming up for a different name for each project.

Preoccupations is a much lamer name than Viet Cong though.

but Noname sounds better than Noname Gypsie imo

Wow what fucking pussies. Sioux Falls is a town in South Dakota. I grew up there. I'm not a offended by their name and I can't think of anyone who would be other than the same 'unwoke 16 year olds' they mentioned in their post about the name change.

Noname is an absolute shit tier name.

the most pleasing pan ive seen in 2016

let the sjws get what they deserve

not a pan. actually a pretty good score and rather accurate as well. I haven't read the review because I never do as their writing is so poor but ye sounds about write. maybe a little lower.

What the fuck dude they are not millionaires. Always this fucking shit, they need every single fucking concert to survive in music

They could get shows, what are you even talking about?

Beyond getting backlash from the name for over a year, they had a show cancelled because of their name 2 weeks prior to the date. I can't imagine their booking would have gotten easier after that.

fuck this, getting a cliff hanging score like a 7.9 pisses me off so much. Pitchfork knows nobody cares about any score below an 8.0.

This is a spit in the face to the band and that p4k are also no longer praising a band that once caused people "discomfort"

YIKES!

Who cares that these bands changed their names
They're not your bands

Oh no a Band that knew next to nothing about the name they have chosen changed their name, what a tragedy. Their reason for picking it was that it just sounded cool. Honestly, if there's a band with a Name along those just because it sounded cool it makes them look shallow as fuck, I'd get it if there would have been some sort of meaning behind the choice but in this instance it's almost on the same level as some 16 year old Cred Forumstard naming his band Anal-nazi because it sounds funny.

>band plays edgy music
>people get offended at band's edgy name
WEW
E
W

Yes but that's not what I've been replying to. The user I replied to said that they couldn't get any shows which is simply not true.

Do you think that Joy Division, the band Viet Cong ripped off, also should have changed their name?

>vc/preoccupations music is edgy
literal wew my lad it's safe as shit what are you talking about

edgy for a p4kcore band at least
>noise rock
>industrial
>influenced by This Heat

fucking lmao

yeah sure but people don't want to deal with shit like this or be associated with racist
youtube.com/watch?v=J7bNrCRY618

I never really said that they should. I just think it's stupid, hell, they can do what they want. Concerning Joy Division, I've actually never bothered to look up whether there's a reason why they named their band after a fictional nazi brothel.

lmao these fucking people

The name was what attracted people to this shitty band in the first place, SJWs are morons.

They weren't largely framed as racists, only as ignorant, and it was their choice to pick that name, ultimately the person in the video just criticized them, whether you agree with her or not, there's not really anything wrong with the act itself.

haha what? i find it hard to believe most or even a significant minority of their fans listened to them because of their name

>Being this edgy to actually believe this

nah speak for yourself but i thought the cover looked cool

>they didn't change the band name in "Hitler Youth"

Are you saying the bad don't have authority to change their own name? Are you against freedom of speech?

i still don't understand why Viet Cong was an offensive

p4k gave them bnm when they were viet cong you sack of garbage

Can we please talk about the album you guys I thought it was really great

because the vietnam war was bad man. can't have bad things happen and the only way to prevent them is to never talk about it.

i'm not sure what's worse, complaining about the name in the first place or changing it to avoid upsetting anyone

shhhh this goes against the narrative

>thinks 7.9 is a pan

/thread

I just think it's ridiculous that people are upset they changed they name at all. In what way does it affect you? They changed their name, so what. It's not a part of some grand SJW conspiracy to censor everything that offends or triggers them, it was their personal choice to do it. Sure the post explaining their reason was quite cringe worthy and long-winded but it doesn't matter what their reasons are. They're allowed to do whatever they want in terms of their band name, music, whatever. I mean I wish we could be more like ants in terms of how we interact with each other. I think ants have tiny microphones implanted in their antenna to spy on us. I know for a fact that the russian government has bred a species of microphone implanted ants and are currently planning on dropping them into the united states. Did you read that Russia wants permission to fly their planes over the US? Why do you think that is? It's to drop the ants, who will become the dominant species of ant in the country, sending back tons of information about us and the military. Ants can get anywhere. But really the name doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. I'm not a fan of their music but good on them for standing up for what they believe in. I think they should have changed the name to something else besides Preoccupations though. I don't like it but whatever it happens. We'll see what happens.

>they actually used the word problematic

Viet Cong is a stupid name, but I was a huge fan of Women and live in Canada. That should be fairly consistent among their fanbase.

this

heh

This board is 18+, friendos. Maybe try a filthy frank video or something if you'd like to converse with your fellow high schoolers

I feel like a creeper sometimes when I'm here because of the infantile discourse lmao

omg same. I feel like a disapproving mother of teen boys reading their angsty, nonsensical, diary entries

did anyone pre order their LP?

my pressing sucks donkey dicks holy shit
static everywhere

>tfw living in europe and no one takes offense to a band's name being viet cong
Hearing Death live was pretty cool.
It's a pity they change their name because it's a genuinely cool bandname, but I guess it makes sense for them. Hurts their reputation though since Preoccupations isn't nearly as memorable as Viet Cong.

They should have gone with Viet Dong t b h

randomly heard continental shelf and was immediately hooked

wtf i hate SJW now

>tfw living in europe and no one takes offense to a band's name being viet cong
this
considering how many influential people are/were communist/maoist here since the '60s (France, Germany, etc.) nobody would give a fuck about them

Really good song.

Anybody who disagrees with me is underage

Go back to watching flithy frank kiddos, kek im so mature

>le sjw boogeyman
fuck you're a retard

>your average alt-right manchild thinks 7.9 is a pan

>I get to decide whether or not you're allowed to use these words!
>Viet Cong? Fucking SJWs made them change their name!

It really isn't good enough for a BNM. If their first was watered down 70s pst-punk this is knock off 80s goth rock

>unwoke

Because we're allowed to have an opinion and we think it's fucking retarded

>Oh no

stopped reading right there, just kill yourself

Do SJW's find all punk music problematic? Hip Hop seems to get a pass because it's made by blacks.

this desu

see

punk has always been left-wing until the right tried to rebrand to be edgier

This. Especially if you are going oldstyle punk way about it, like Black Flag or Ween had to.

go back to Cred Forums if you're going to be this retarded

That's not an argument you faggit

Exactly, it's a score that says yeah you tried to make amends and good on you for that but we still can't forgive you entirely for having done it in the first place

You know they don't HAVE to make a comfortable living of their music, right? Especially since they supposedly play "punk rock" music? Angry factory workers and teenagers play punk music in their free time in front of 5 people. It's not your god given right to make money off your art, fucking hate musicians whining about money and compromising on their art because "they have no choice" and say they're serious artists but will sell out the second their standard of living drops one bit.

That's fine, but don't say you're punk if you cant live without the nice apartment and newest electronics.

No, I think people are saying that they think it is stupid of them to change their name for the reasons the band stated

Do cucks literally think they're fucking enlightened or something just because they're liberal?

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

this is the most Cred Forums shit i've seen all day, fuck off

>pussies band in history atm
AJJ is worse

mediocre band and im indifferent about the name change but the album cover looks like an abstract cubist balding man

everything in this post is correct

WOAH

>abstract cubist balding man
it's a square Costanza

To eat.

To allow their fans from all around their world to enjoy their music live.

They weren't trying to appease SJW overlords like the Andrew Jackson Jihad cucks.

They were basically forced to because festivals started dropping them because of their name

Also, what an awful name they have now. So generic and un-google-able.

Just type "Preoccupations band" you lazy shit

Figured it was a shoo-in for 8.3 BNM, and I still don't get why SJW's hated the name Viet Cong. Shouldn't they have seen it as some kind of rebellion against the military-industrial complex? Or does Cultural Appropriation trump that now?

Punk has always been extremely left bar some contrarian acts a la Skrewdriver. They might use nazi symbols for shock factor but they were always very far left leaning. It's just that in recent years extreme leftists have gone from violent tankies to spineless internet crusaders.

>unirionically using the term unwoke

wew lad

>>>/tumblr/

Didn't Andrew Jackson Jihad do the same thing? I fucking hate numales.

sjw here. I don't find any music or band name to be "problematic" because I just take it for what it is, music

>They were basically forced to because festivals started dropping them because of their name
They should have disbanded then. It would've been punk as fuck, but alas indie faggotry has dominated over the punk mindset.

That's easily the least punk option