So I decided I want to try and give grateful dead a listen...

So I decided I want to try and give grateful dead a listen. problem is they have so many albums and some are studio while a ton are live

I know that flowcharts for albums were like a 2012 thing but can anybody tip me off with where to start?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eNEt69OFeoo
youtube.com/watch?v=wOaXTg3nAuY
youtube.com/watch?v=671AgW9xSiA
youtube.com/watch?v=N7lMxNfb7rw
youtube.com/watch?v=MEFPOqEmxHU
youtube.com/watch?v=4PekdeINQco
archive.org/details/gd77-05-08.maizner.hicks.5002.sbeok.shnf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Just skip listening to them all together.

It seems like it really was a "you had to be there" moment

the best thing about them seemed to be the experience of the live show and the touring, meaning it's kinda pointless to give them a listen now
or am I just overreacting?

This is probably the most important thing they ever did. They had absolutely everything here and were at the height of their capabilities. Whatever they did in the Spring of 1972 would have sounded amazing, but what they did here was master the Americana based style they went for on their previous two studio albums. This album is entertaining as fuck, the songs they debuted here are amazing and the playing is so good. The album is on a constant high start to finish. So yeah, if you want to hear the best the Dead had to offer, go for this.

Na, writing them off like that is actually pretty blockheaded.

In 2015 they released a compilation CD. Its called the vest of the grateful dead. I think its a pretty good summary of their discography, especially considering how many genres they blended over the years.

this or live/dead

generally American Beauty is their go to album. Most people enjoy that. Blues for Allah, Aoxomoxoa, and Anthem of the Sun are great entry level studio albums

1969-1972 was their creative peak. Other standout years would be 1974, 1977, and 1990.

American Beauty & Sunshine Daydream live album

Weird comparison maybe, but I feel like they're similar to Animal Collective in that while they definitely have albums (or in their case years) that could arguably be seen as their best they're just a fun band to get into and explore everything they did, and they have so much stuff out there you can get lost in finding stuff that you like, and there's always something new to listen to. Like awhile back I went through a phase where I was trying to listen to every single version of Wharf Rat I could find, and there are still probably versions of that song that I'm yet to year. I don't know, there's just a fun band to get lost in. Still they're not for everybody, so they may just not be for you, but if you can get into them it's rewarding as hell.

Another good AnCo comparison is the fact that those who like them really like them while those who don't think you're insane for liking them.

archive.org

08/06/1971
05/26/1973
05/08/1977

Start with those, or don't! Just picking any random show from one of their peak years isn't a bad strategy either. In any event, I started out listening to whole shows on archive and I would recommend anyone to do the same. Get into the live albums later on, and the studio albums later still. Studio dead is awesome but fan-traded tapes of whole shows will always be exhibit A with the Dead, as it gives you a window into the energy of the live experience that was so central to their appeal. Also, if you have access to a large system that will let you feel the bass in your chest, use it. This music is meant to be immersive and it sounds really good loud.

youtube.com/watch?v=eNEt69OFeoo

youtube.com/watch?v=wOaXTg3nAuY

youtube.com/watch?v=671AgW9xSiA

youtube.com/watch?v=N7lMxNfb7rw

youtube.com/watch?v=MEFPOqEmxHU

youtube.com/watch?v=4PekdeINQco

anything form 72-73, 77-79 is all the gold
best show is cornell 77 without a doubt
best albums are by far europe 72 and Dead Set

i would recommend all the live stuff people are saying here, especially live 1972-1973 shows or the Fillmore 1969 box set.

but the thing for me that really helped captured the experience was the Grateful Dead Movie

not OP here but i've never listened to them either and started listening to American Beauty because of this thread, i'm like it a lot, feels a bit like The Band or Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. Thanks fellas.

Start with American Beauty, Workingman's Dead, and Europe '72. They're probably the Dead's most accessible albums. While you can't really ever hope to capture the spirit and energy of a 'live' show I'm sure with some good pot, a dark room, some kind of audio-playing machine (headphones or some good speakers), and a good dose of the imagination you can take yourself into that mindset. Won't be the same, but it'll be a fair facsimile, considering you won't ever get to experience it.

If you decide that you've enjoyed that, I'd recommend exploring their studio albums and some of their bootlegs. On Spotify, if you've got it, they have a really good selection of live shows from every era of the Dead, and I believe Web Archive have just about every show that's ever been taped that we know of. Pretty crazy stuff.

Get to it, man. I wish I could experience the Dead for the first time again.

Pick a live set.
Listen.
Repeat.

Check out Workingman's Dead and Garcia's first solo album, Garcia. After that, try Europe '72.

noted, thanks user

start right here:
archive.org/details/gd77-05-08.maizner.hicks.5002.sbeok.shnf

then listen to
american beauty
workingman's dead
live/dead
europe '72

guide for grateful dead:
>watch all of freaks and geeks
>wipe tears after last episode
>listen to american beauty

that's what got me into them/past my preformed biases about their image and fanbase