I formed a band with 2 other people, me being the guitarist, one the drummer...

I formed a band with 2 other people, me being the guitarist, one the drummer, and the other the keyboardist (we had a bassist but he was a pussy who cancelled it every time we tried to practice together). The keyboardist and I both sing leads in certain songs.

What should we do and how should we start out? We'd like to make our own shit someday, what should we do?

Also band general I guess, anything about your own projects can go here too.

Other urls found in this thread:

emergencyprotocol.bandcamp.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Don't bother faggot

You guys will never be the next Kansas

wat

we are just doing this for fun, we aren't really expecting to get big

Become the next slint.

DON STEPPED OUTSIDE
IT FEELS GOOD TO BE ALONE
HE WISHED HE WAS DRUNK
HE THOUGHT ABOUT SOMETHING HE SAID
AND HOW STUPID IT HAD SOUNDED
HE SHOULD FORGET ABOUT IT
HE DECIDED TO PISS, BUT HE COULDN'T

Have a unique point of view/idea to express, figure out a unique way of expressing it, record it, and release.

ooh! if you need a bassist to record studio stuff with, i can send ya some tracks thru the internet. i got an interface and a bunch of good business.
where y'all at?

what kind of music do you guys make? what music are you and your members interested in?

Get a bass player, it always looks odd to see a band without one. I'm about start something with my drummer friend, and one of my guitar friends said that he'd play bass if I play guitar and sing. I just want to find someone who can play synth, consider yourself lucky m8. Honestly just jam with each other for a few sessions, write something at home, and when you guys are comfortable with eachother just get everybody else to write around your parts...or just tell them what to do lol.

I play keys and synths and allegedly a good keys player is hard to find. Is this true?

I'm trying to make a band without a drummer (gonna use an already recorded drum track/a drum machine) and my only concern is that we're gonna look weird.
I don't give a shit when guitar players fuck up and play nonsense, but a competent drummer is necessary, and if I can't get one that practices and keeps the rhythm, what's the point of having one? I think a good rhythmic section is what separates an amateur band from a "band with attitude".

Just meet up and jam. Have either you or one of your band mates suggest a song idea and write it further together. Once you guys have some ideas down, structure it out and make it into a song. I can't help you much more than that since I don't know how you guys work but I can share my own experiences.

I'm currently in 3 bands right now and my main band which plays all original music (We're a 3 piece: Bass, Drums, Guitar) writes like this:

My Guitarist or Bassist comes into practice with an idea. We jam on it for a little bit and add parts here and there. After we have a few catchy instrumental sections I get to work and determine the structure of the songs, basically arranging the parts in ways they flow well. Usually after that we then start working on lyrics if it hasn't started already, then we polish up the transitions between parts.

As a musician as well, I feel that everyone should have a role in the band (besides playing their respective instrument). My role is drums and song arrangement. My guitarist makes riffs, sings leads and does pretty much all show booking/Social Media stuff. My bassist makes riffs as well and sings background vocals. We all have input on everything that happens with us so its not like we all do ONE thing entirely.

That said, My suggestion for you guys is to get a bassist, It really helps with the low end of the songs, You don't wanna put your keyboardist in a box and force him to cover the bass spectrum of the music OR not have any low end at all.

If you have any questions let me know, here's a link to my band so you know I'm not just talking outta my ass. I don't think we're the best but I have a fun time playing with them and that's all that matters.

emergencyprotocol.bandcamp.com/

Make sure you guys are having fun doing this, and try to be good friends with each other. When you play and hate each other, its usually easy for listeners to hear/see that.

Get a drummer.

I've seen 2 piece bands with Drums and either guitar or bass and that works alright. But don't use a track. Playing live to that with other bands with a regular drummer is gonna be weird and comes off as lazy to me. Plus you're now bound to that track and can't do much to any improv at all, which may not matter depending on the genre but still I feel a real drummer only benefits.

badbadnotgood is a band with keyboardist, drumemr and bassis and they made several albums under 21, check them out, maybe you can learn something

if you have people that can play with you, make an improvisation session, is very funny and you can get a lot of good tunnes and melodies in the process, besides you carn learn more about what style you can/like to play

Yes, the improv part was another thing that had me worried. Maybe I should just get somebody to do a "Meg White".

Yeah, I'm in the same boat as a singer. 90% of "singers" are absolute garbage, so I'm in pretty high demand over it. I'm a really good guitar player, but no one gives a shit about that. If you are really as good as you say that you are at keys, you could get into literally anyone's band.

Honestly, just get your best friend to Meg White it if you can. After about a year they will be good enough to start playing decently if you guys practice enough. Its so much better than a drum machine trust me, especially for shows. If you are recording and you need more spice go for drum samples, but don't play without a drummer its a terrible idea.

American Football didn't have any bass guitar. Not saying you're wrong, just saying it could work

Dude I just realised I have a friend who's perfect for this job. He's not a musician, but he's been getting into music through Parquet Courts and early Pink Floyd, while at the same time being really depressed for not having any kind of future. Maybe this can give him a bit of "purpose". Thanks a lot!

Its literally what I did with my best friend, it works out a lot better than you think. Because the new drummer isn't left to his own devices, and is instead communicating and actively participating with skilled musicians his skills develop faster than a beginner drummer. Trust me on this, if you are patient it will be worth it. Also, you will have better chemistry with him than someone you met on craigslist.

I've never been in this situation before but I can confirm that playing with a friend is better than a total stranger. I'd rather play with a friend that sucks and make them better rather than a stranger who I have no chemistry (musically and personally) with.

I can confirm this. I started drumming on my own and was going at a relatively slow pace, but I started practicing with people who were really talented and I've been improving much more quickly since then. There's nothing wrong with Meg Whiteing it, but if you put them in with talented people they will improve.