/prod/: Music production general - Post your WIPs Edition

Talk about music production, composition, songwriting and audio engineering.

Upload WIPs on clyp.it/

GIVE feedback and RECEIVE feedback.

>ATTENTION!
DO NOT post Soundcloud, YouTube or any other links where you are not anonymous (unless somebody asks you for it). That is considered self promotion and will usually result in a bad feedback.

>LEARNING RESOURCES

(Obligatory mixing course)
>The Art of Mixing by David Gibson
youtu.be/TEjOdqZFvhY

(Obligatory synthesis course + additional related videos)
>Intro to Synthesis by New York School of Synthesis
youtu.be/atvtBE6t48M

YouTube channels that you should subscribe to:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>BusyWorksBeats (same as above, a lot of good new content coming)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

>Justin Omoi
youtube.com/channel/UCMnmXvv9JHJPsrrob-gEn5A

>WarBeats
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Samori Coles (not many videos, but a few good ones on compression and EQ)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

>Image Line Tutorials (for FL Studio users)
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

>READ THIS BEFORE ASKING WHERE TO BEGIN

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/furqwrsx
clyp.it/hit0ud5z
clyp.it/5j055qja
clyp.it/g2oe2b0y
youtube.com/watch?v=1sxZ4tsp8gc
downloads.izotope.com/guides/iZotope-Mixing-Guide-Principles-Tips-Techniques.pdf
clyp.it/h3qb1uyg
clyp.it/hqhuylwu
clyp.it/adgn3w4p
youtube.com/watch?v=rgs7p17ElOY
clyp.it/gegq4g0i
clyp.it/wedw55z1
youtube.com/watch?v=wzAI3JFQfoE
clyp.it/4md5v1pt
clyp.it/coieu1gx
clyp.it/w4e5vr05
clyp.it/u54pwp3z
clyp.it/nbrgnxpd
clyp.it/gochjalq
clyp.it/mhkuv3dt
clyp.it/aiwy0y2w
clyp.it/5a0k3n4l
youtu.be/Zm9U_hF0FY8?t=3m18s
clyp.it/nhfkpufs
clyp.it/52xnng5z
clyp.it/wx3zglyg
clyp.it/q4goyjux
youtube.com/watch?v=fsWLbeu7HYk
clyp.it/jmlvj3bl
clyp.it/ckpaezwq
clyp.it/xzlm33nn
clyp.it/uqkcika4
clyp.it/ctkn1f0i?token=c6d8a794e50d952e5a7fe94d90d0d764
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

dubs thread

That dude was Keith Emerson's tech. I feel really shitty about Keith.

I know Don Buchla died last week, but that was kind of expected.

What would you do /prod/, if you were Keith?

How do I sound like Gesaffelstein?

Are peppers fruits?

wtf I just read that he shot himself because his fans said his new stuff sucked

I never read it was a suicide when the news came out

Working on some synth sounds. How does this sound and is there anything I could obviously change to make it sound better? New to this.

clyp.it/furqwrsx

>finishing possible album songs
>fall asleep
>wake up excited
>start up DAW
>its like something is missing and it sounds like shit

fuck this trend of insecure self-deprication this shit is HAWT

clyp.it/hit0ud5z

o fuc!

Does anyone know how to recreate this synth? I only have synth1 and tyrelln6.

clyp.it/5j055qja

clyp.it/g2oe2b0y

I posted this on the old thread but didn't get any feedback, so here it is again. My apologies if you had to listen twice.

Almost too hawt. How did you get that dying fly noise towards the end? Serious question...that's some cool sound design going on there

10/10 ear rape what VSTs did you use?

that shit was crazy i dont even think people hated him as much as he thought

>Are peppers fruits?
yes they are

>10/10 ear rape what VSTs did you use?
It's an MS-20 Mini.

>clyp.it/g2oe2b0y
Is this what it feels like to vape?

jokes aside, it's chill

>furq
youtube.com/watch?v=1sxZ4tsp8gc

Is there a better site for articles on mixing than SoundOnSound?

Seems to be the best I've read so far, was just wondering if I'm missing out on better.

Jealous. Do you like it? Your clyp is a side of it I've never heard in any demos...if I knew it could get that aggressive sounding, I might have saved for one instead of getting a Microbrute.

downloads.izotope.com/guides/iZotope-Mixing-Guide-Principles-Tips-Techniques.pdf

i think this one is pretty good

so I'm finally getting into production

I have an MS20 and I'm planning on getting Korg volca kick and volca beats and a Microbrute for dat sequencer. I know I need an interface, but how can I implement all of this into Ableton and just jam/record automation. I'll have to record to audio with the MS20 I know. Also will an interface with just midi in/out and audio in/out be enough? I'm sorry this is all so daunting to me

if you get those 4 pieces of gear you need an interface with 4 midi inputs

I'm not sure what this means.

>Do you like it?
Tons, although I haven't got what I wanted out of it yet. Trying to calm this sort of sound down a bit more. Just a warning the clyp clips pretty hard for about 3 seconds in the middle when I adjusted something.

clyp.it/h3qb1uyg

>Your clyp is a side of it I've never heard in any demos...if I knew it could get that aggressive sounding, I might have saved for one instead of getting a Microbrute.
I actually bought it to make ambient music but got curious on how far I could push it after I saw the idea of overdriving it. It's worth noting I'm bit crushing(sample rate reduction?) the signal and blending it with the dry. So a lot of the aggression is coming from that.

I have a MiniBrute as well actually. Amusingly I've had more luck getting calmer sounds out of that than the MS-20.

clyp.it/hqhuylwu

One thing to keep in mind is that Ableton won't be able to record automation for any of the controls on the analog synths you mentioned. As far as interfaces go, just make sure that it has enough audio inputs (line-ins + mic preamps, if you think you'll need them eventually) and has the connectivity you want.

>I'll have to record to audio with the MS20 I know
You may know this already, but you'll have to record audio from the other synths into the interface as well. The USB cable with the Microbrute only transmits MIDI info, not the actual audio signal. Just something to think about when picking an interface (you'll need 4 inputs).

clyp.it/adgn3w4p

bit of an idea here, first attempt at doing all hardware w/ ableton as a tape recorder

it's in the url

So how exactly do I record automation then? Also, any 4 input interfaces you could recommend?

Cool, which hardware are you using?

MS-20/TX-16W/QY700/SP-404

got the ms-20 sound by overloading the soundcard preamp

Are the volcas any good?
They look like so much fun

they're very fun

The kick comes out next month btw
youtube.com/watch?v=rgs7p17ElOY

The only one of those I own is the Microbrute, but I can tell you that there's no way to automate anything other than the pitch and pitch bend from your DAW with that one. You basically have to rely on your LFOs and envelopes if you don't want to turn the knobs yourself. Some analog synths are different, though. I believe that the Korg Minilogue has controls that can be automated, for example.

I've only ever used automation for software running inside of Ableton itself as opposed to external gear.

I guess one thing you could do if you want to jam is use Ableton to loop clips you record in the session view. For example, you could sequence something on the microbrute (or have Ableton send it the notes via MIDI if you want it to) and twist the knobs while you record the audio. Then you could loop what you just recorded with the filter sweeps or whatever you did to it whenever you want.

The only interface I've owned is the Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, which is no longer made. It's been a finicky sometimes, but overall I've been happy with it. It has 2 mic preamps and 2 line-ins. They have a new line that's similar now. You'll have to read some reviews, but people seem to like the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6. It has basically the same ins/outs/midi/connectivity options as the Scarlette I have.

Also, you won't need 4 midi ports. The Microbrute and MS-20 mini can both convey MIDI info through USB. I don't really know of any interfaces off the top of my head that have that many MIDI ports anyway.

>Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6
where do people like this ive never really seen people talking about it often

I used to be looking at getting one, so I read different reviews and whatnot on different sites. I know it's been around for years now, so there should be plenty to read about it at this point. That might also mean that more are available on Ebay if you want to try to score a deal.

Hmm, that sounds very cool. Are they worth getting?

How many people here actually read manuals back to front?

I've realized that when learning a new device, figuring out a function always makes me start making a track and forget to finish the manual

I bought an m-audio axiom 25 midi keyboard controller, which is supposed to have a lot of functionality. I have no fucking clue what all the buttons are supposed to do.
Too manly to read the manual, too stupid to learn it on my own.

>Too manly to read the manual
thats odd, you sound like a beta, loser queer faggot

Thanks senpai, you're right.
I'm the biggest beta, loser queer faggot there is.

i dont really read the manual that often unless i cant figure something out

That feel when your friends only want to make hip hop rnb and you just want to do folky indie stuff.

Just picked up FL studio a few weeks ago to start making my own stuff. Here's my first non hip hop snippet, does anyone have any experience using fiverr.com to source proper vocals? Rusty auto tune can only do so much.

clyp.it/gegq4g0i

can you send in samples or other signal sources? like grab a guitar and send it through the MS20 for filtration and shit? i know you could do it with the original

Yes, you can route it through the ESP+bandpass section and into the ext.in and do all kinds of stuff.

can turn audio signals into env/gate for triggering envelopes or whatever and CV to control pitch of the oscillators or even the filter frequency

>tfw you've fallen into le wrong generation mode with old school techno and you'll never make anything relevant now

>clyp.it/hit0ud5z
reminds me of neptunes but better /prod/

clyp.it/wedw55z1
tried to make something with just some vocal snippets my sister sent me of her kid, but ended up not being able to get anything to work without drum sounds. all tracks are reason's "redrum"

>clyp.it/wedw55z1
youtube.com/watch?v=wzAI3JFQfoE

how do i sound like yung lean

This is simply beautiful, I feel like the audio clips sometimes but a bit of mixing and it will be perfect
I didn't know Abelton can produce such quality stuff you made me want to check it out thanks!
I never actually read the manual either, I just fuck around with the device and learn it by myself

So /prod/ I come here with a humble question, Do you think I should buy a condenser mic and record my songs properly or do I suck too much to invest money in music, I am a self trained everything and I've just made this in like an hour clyp.it/4md5v1pt
Anyways would you like hearing it on a better recording or is it simply shit?

Just talk into a microphone like you had an arizona overdose and use a lot of voice editing shits basically just add everything you can and you're all set.

I like your voice tbqh

Buy it, its not that expensive anyway.

You sound nervous.

glitch music is the shit

I get that a lot, I suppose I am nervous heh Thanks a lot, this is like the first time I show stuff to people outside my group of friends and I had a lot of shows and the crowd was pretty harsh but that's mostly because I live in a shitty country and they are harsh with everyone*or at least that's what I like to believe*
Yeah I know I was thinking about getting a MXL 990 with a Behringer U-Phoria UM2 interface I just picked those because they are in my budget(again shitty country low salaries and shit) but I really have no idea if my choice was good I just liked the way they sounded so tips are appreciated

I've read the manuals to my first couple synths, but haven't read a manual since cause I feel like i "get it" now

I never read manuals, I watched a few videos on how to operate a daw and get to my shit

Also sorry for the ear rape at the end I feel like I should've mentioned it before

Fuck being relevant. Just do what makes you happy. Move to Detroit or Chicago, old school house/techno scene still strong.

why do people call low freq sin waves ' 808 ' ?

cause idiots don't know what 808 is in reference to other than 808 and heartbreaks

>tfw you live in a plattenbau city that has nothing but coal mines surrounding it
Save up and work with what you have.

Heh I know what you're felling man
>where did I see that view before
>oh that's right
>Fucking everywhere in this town

what are you talking about? the MS-20 is the dirtiest sounding fucking synth out there

>Detroit

i've read all the gear manuals for stuff i own but i've never touched the ableton manual despite using it for 6 years

>Dr. Klahn: Take him to... Detroit!
>CIA Agent: No! No, not Detroit! No! No, please! Anything but that! No! No!

nah, I think it was because he had a degenerative nerve condition in his right hand that made playing impossible

kinda similar to Robert Schumann

How to stop relying on melody so much? Is it a matter of limited music taste? Any hip hop drop i try always sounds hollow without accompanying melody.

clyp.it/coieu1gx

do you have examples of songs you like that don't focus on melody? Maybe try importing one of those songs, chop it up into 8 measure loops and try to rebuild your own version of it... might make it 'click' for you

what the fuck is that progression son

clyp.it/w4e5vr05

need opinions on the mix, sounds like the lows are too low

Any of you FL Studio pros know the keyboard shortcut for muting notes in the piano roll?

Ctrl + A, Alt + G, press T, click on a note

Is that a sequence or all different methods?
Alt+G is to ungroup notes, i already know that.
right or left click?

k so I'm having issues with my supernova
got it set up, been sequencing it through Ableton (pic related is set up). Already read the manual, most parts multiple times

Anyway, I am having problems recording knob movement/CC into Ableton. Pic related shows the idea. I have a MIDI track on Ableton with the input from the keyboard sent to the synth, but every time I try to record knob movement on a separate track, all I get are the notes but not the CC. The Manual specifically says knob movement recording is possible.

pls halp

hold the alt button on the right side of your keyboard and left-click notes

what does your midi preferences look like in ableton?

Press T, or hold mouse button and right and select the mute brush, or press B to get the normal brush and hover cursor near the note you want to be muted and press right, it gets muted.

Don't recall if there are other ways right now.

Do you have a way of watching the midi stream from the Nova? I use midiox for that, but most daws have something you can watch.

If your DAW isn't getting midi, look around in the Nova menus to see if CC transmit is turned off.

Also, some of those el cheapo midi to USB things are totally fucked and might not transmit CCs.

holy shit I just realized that was a pepper

clyp.it/u54pwp3z
rate the mix guys, I know it's shit but how can I improve it?

>clyp.it/hit0ud5z
That's some interesting stuff dude, would love to hear something longer

>clyp.it/g2oe2b0y
That was really good, I think the distortion/overdrive is too much at times tho (on the lead for example)

>clyp.it/gegq4g0i
Actually that's kinda rnb'ish imo, sounds pretty good tho

>clyp.it/wedw55z1
Reminds me of meme/ytp fads music videos

>clyp.it/w4e5vr05
yeah very low-end indeed, but actually I think it makes a great aesthetic. perhaps turn up mids/highs a liiiittle bit

So you have a blank midi track specifically setup to send your USB keyboard notes to the Supernova... Are you recording on that track? If so, that is why you are only getting the midi notes.

You should have another midi track setup specifically to record the incoming directly from the supernova... that way it captures the note data being sent to it and CC data. (you may also need to make sure the supernova is setup to send the midi notes received via midi in thru the midi out)

I did try the two tracks (one track recording my keyboard's, the other one recording MIDI from the supernova)

on the supernova track I was only getting MIDI notes (the arpeggiated notes from the keyboard track were being bounced back into the Supernova track, with NO CC) so there's probably a setting somwhere that I need to config correctly, time to re-read that section

however, I did a quick thing. I recorded my keyboard's note only, then overdubbed that track by changing the input from keyboard to supernova, then did some knob movements...and all the knob movement was recorded and overdubbed on top of the keyboard midi track. fuck. time to fuck around more

I just picked up the sample yesterday actually to mess around with on the go. Only spent a little bit but I'm loving it. Also samples are surprisingly easy to load

HEHE JUST FIGURED IT OUT LADS, THANKS FOR THE HELP XOXOXOXOXOXOX

awesome, lets here some patches!

What are the meme headphones/monitors?

recording

ATH-M50x
JBL LSR 305/308 for 5" and 8" respectively

clyp.it/nbrgnxpd
i made this one on speed
clyp.it/gochjalq
i think i fucked the bass up on this one

do you really name your files with the joke on the picture

yes

>clyp.it/nbrgnxpd
its a no from me Josh

why where do i lack

everywhere
generic sounds, arp notes suck
believe it or not, drugs =/= good music
the other one is super repetitive and yes, the bass is out of tune as shit

Hope you are memeing.

I wouldn't recommend getting a volca for production (even though the new volca kick looks prewtty sweet). I would rather buy a good sample pack of some analog drum maschines.

here. no external fx

clyp.it/mhkuv3dt

I just put a generic arp and ran some patches/perfomances. I have to go to work now so I didn't have time to clean the audio. There are parts that are louder than others. Oh and there's a click in some patches, I'm running the arp from Ableton (even though the supernova has an amazing built in arp, I haven't had the chance to play with it yet) and the Gate setting is making some of the patches click, I didn't bother fucking with it. Up to around the 3 min mark, they are "perfomances" (basically a bunch of patches that play together and can be assigned to just about anything ie zones, aftertouch etc) after 3 min on they are "programs", individual patches

this thing is complicated but fun

underrated response

>I would rather buy a good sample pack of some analog drum maschines.
Pfffhahahahaha

I made my first Synthwave song using a certain cheapo chiptune application on Steam. It's perfect for what I want to do with Synthwave, but I know I'm gonna have to graduate to a big boy production suite someday if I keep doing this. Here is the song. I think I got my $5 worth for this program.

clyp.it/aiwy0y2w

This is a stupid question and has no application, but I'm curious.

Is it possible to develop "limb separation" for your fingers when playing virtual kits much like a real drummer?

F-finger separation?

I don't know what to do with this shit.
Thoughts?

clyp.it/5a0k3n4l

youtu.be/Zm9U_hF0FY8?t=3m18s
3:18 (?)

First time Mastering and my Lows are clipping, what do

So I'm trying to sample for the first time, this is what I came out with. Should I keep working on this or scrap it and try something else?
clyp.it/nhfkpufs

clyp.it/52xnng5z

I haven't done much mastering on this track. I still need to figure out how I want to arrange it and add some bass and lead. Any advice?

Work on it

I like it

Sounds pretty much done to me, maybe cut out the constant sample you have playing on the off beat between intervals.

>Any advice?

Send to adult swim

On a serious noteis sounds good so far just try not to over do it.

now i want a supernova

that click is probably from switching patch to patch in the middle of a soundwave.

is that the powered version? if so that is a great price

Like this?

clyp.it/wx3zglyg

sounds like a dotted eighth note delay

clyp.it/q4goyjux
Tried to clean that progression up, still needs a fair bit of work toward a cohesive direction.

Stole some lyrics from my little sisters highschool English assignment to flesh it out, flow is weak and monotonous but it's early and I'm no rapper by any means. Still can't level for shit unfortunately.

yeah I like this one a good bit more, nice work

Thank you!

b u m p w a r e

i know its a meme pic but that alesis micron is pretty great

youtube.com/watch?v=fsWLbeu7HYk

Any good headphone that aren't crazy exspensive?

sony v6 all day

>BEEP DOOT SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS BOBOBOBOBOBOBOBO WUW WUB
Neat ear rape box.

it's not bad but it's a bit forgettable to me. sounds like air a bit.

seems like the start of something

not bad but very thin

wacky bro

it has some percussion but you need more. something funky would work well. fills and shit.

Yo, what should I do to get a lo-fi acoustic guitar sound?

>clyp.it/wx3zglyg
I started browsing other tabs while this was playing and honestly forgot I was listening to something posted on /prod/.

Does Alesis even have good. Keyboards

>hasn't heard of the andromeda
Good doesn't always = profitable

Damn right, brother

If I want to write in D Dorian mode which consists of the same scale as C major how am I supposed to make it sound different?

make D the root note of melodies. resolve chords back to D

thats really the difference

What's an arp

harp without the h

short for arpeggio

or could be in reference to the synth manufacture, ARP.

>ey fellass, she fiiiine

Feeling this one desu

I like this

Are You guys are talking about the novation supernova ?

thanks

Pleb here.

I currently play shows using Ableton (nothing else, just a controller). I want to include guitar in this, playing it through Ableton (to make use of vst effects).

Do I just need an audio interface for this? Would they all essentially do this for me, or is there something I need to look for in particular?

I think some audio interfaces have TRS input (my audio interface has 2 ) but a lot of them only have XLR inputs but you can buy a TRS to XLR adapter on amazon.

I want to record me playing the bass. Is it better to get a direct recording or to plug my bass directly into my audio interface?

can anyone rec some good dust covers for my synths?

all the ones I see online are for 60 key ones
I want one for my MS-20 mini, which is awkwardly shapen for a dust cover really and it makes it hard to search for

So I know that threads are focused on electronic music but I'm in desperate need of an acoustic setup. I sing, play guitar and mandolin, and own an okay laptop and a Zoom H1 handheld mic which isn't cutting it for me. Does anyone have any kind of recommendation chart or something?? I've got an album to record and I'm stressing out on how to do it.

yo /prod/, give me a minute or two of your time, i'd appreciate it very much

clyp.it/jmlvj3bl

advice? besides suicide?

you need a basic interface and a condenser mic will pickup a really vivid sound for like $150, an instrument mic like the sm58 for $100 is good too and can be used live
zoom h-whatever are all shit, i don't understand how anyone could even use that, even for field recordings.
>Is it better to get a direct recording or to plug my bass directly into my audio interface
i don't see how those are different. do whatever sounds better.
yes, something like the 2i4 is good for guitars and has midi as well
ignore /prod/? use a weird high pass filter?

- low cost record tape
- am fm radio recorder
- vst filter

Is there a good tutorial on warping and converting sounds?

be more specific, and what daw are you using?

clyp.it/ckpaezwq
what does this need to make it complete m8s?

turn down the distortion. did you apply it to the master track? that would be pretty savage.

>clyp.it/jmlvj3bl
>advice? besides suicide?
Put more reverb on drums.

What would I do?

Well......uhh...I dunno. Probably wouldn't shoot myself, to be honest, but...I dunno. Not really had an issue with either of my hands, so...

is this sarcasm? i can't tell

>clyp.it/jmlvj3bl

Don't it sounds distorted

I want a good tutorial video about warping sounds. I'm using ableton.

here.

Here's what I've got so far, I know the 3rd sample really needs some work done. But how's the first/second samples? I think it transitions well enough. Also, what should I add to make it sound fuller without going overboard?
clyp.it/xzlm33nn

Thanks, fellas! I've been playing with it some more. I forgot to add more percussion/something funky. Thoughts, anyway?

clyp.it/uqkcika4

clyp.it/ctkn1f0i?token=c6d8a794e50d952e5a7fe94d90d0d764