Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_music
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Mr Tumnus is that you?

the hell is that rofl

me

wtf is that

>yeah i listen to classical
>oh haha ive only really heard moonlight sonata and II. Allegretto by beethoven :)

sup

hey

>"oh yeah, I listen to a little bit of everything. Don't really have a favorite genre."

jimmy neutron lookin ass

I just noticed that there's a Wu-Tang logo on his door.

nah that's clearly the dude from Static-X!

Wu Tang is like a cult symbol for white people without personality. It's a shame, because some of their stuff is really great.

This is me though, how could I pick a single favorite genre when there's so much stuff to listen to?
It changes every few weeks.

>yeah, I listen to jazz

>yeah I enjoy music.

>yeah

>music r good

>Yeah I listen to everything
Translation: I have no interest in music but enjoy anything that's on the radio

>Listens to Dark Side
>"Pink Floyd are musical gods :), best band ever"

Why is that a lie about music taste?

>see friend I haven't seen in a while on the bus
>he is listening to music through his appleTM headphones
>approach him and ask him what he is listening to
>his lips part as he begins to attempt speech but as soon as even the first iota of space occurs I immediately drown him out in a deafening wave of contempt causing his body to crumple like a wet sack of potatoes
>his blood and bile doesn't even spread in a septagon shape as he lies twitching on the floor

pleb stories general

I normally hate to get autistic and elitist but so many normalfag "Wu Tang fans" can't even name one song let alone any albums besides Enter the 36, they just like they aesthetic and the memes

it bugs me

what does that pic have to do with jazz???

I fucking hate that shit

Is this a tranny?

Dont you enjoy listening to classical user?

I feel sorry for you. Classical is the only music I listen to, and it has nothing to do with taste. Most people think you're just weird if you say you listen to classical. Only other classical listeners really get it, so its not really something you can use to "look cool" if anything you just look like a library geek.

The only reason to listen to classical is that its written by highly trained geniuses who actually know what they're doing with music: because what they make is master-crafted.

>Most people think you're just weird if you say you listen to classical. Only other classical listeners really get it, so its not really something you can use to "look cool" if anything you just look like a library geek.

this. the idea that you would only listen to classical to make people think you are cool is retarded. normies don't think classical is cool, they think it's "old people music" or something.

>when people say classical but actually mean baroque and many other styles

No, people act like they love classical to seem smart but only listen to the real entry level cliche shit and have no real deeper interest in it

only on reddit and Cred Forums classical threads mate, not in real life

>to seem smart

To seem smart to WHO? Again, normal people don't think you're smart for listening to classical. They think you're geeky/autistic.

Also entry-level =/= bad. You could listen exclusively to "entry-level" classical artists and you'd still have better taste than 90 percent of Cred Forums.

Classical is such an enormously diverse kind of music, there's no obligation to listen to hundreds of different artists just to show off your taste. You should listen to what you actually like.

Kek

I have friends irl like this

I didn't say people thought you were smart for listening to classical, I said the people listening to it often think it makes them appear smart. And only listening to the entry level artists doesn't make you have good taste, it makes you a poser with no deeper interest in what you are listening to, and no want to explore further.

>Classical is such an enormously diverse kind of music, there's no obligation to listen to hundreds of different artists just to show off your taste. You should listen to what you actually like.
How are you supposed to find what you like if you're so shallow that you only listen to entry level stuff? That's like only listening to the beatles because rock music is 2diverse4u

Yeah I listen to jazz
- has listened to Coltrane, Mingus, kind of blue once, take five and downloaded bitches brew but didn't make it through the whole thing. Also whiplash is a great film.

Jazz is poor mans classical

Classical is absolute fucking trash because the kind of people certain music attracts is a reflection of their character and 100% of classical listeners just happen to be absolute worthless cunts. The evidence is insurmountable.

100% anything is retarded

bitches brew doesn't have to be experienced in one sitting. once I realized that, it clicked for me. that and in a silent way are 10/10 jazz albums

not true, only the people who loudly tell you they listen to classical are worthless trash. I'd be willing to bet you know a number of people who listen to classical who haven't told you/wouldn't want to admit it

>whiplash is a great film
It is, though

>I said the people listening to it often think it makes them appear smart. And only listening to the entry level artists doesn't make you have good taste, it makes you a poser with no deeper interest in what you are listening to, and no want to explore further.

how ignorant and uninitiated of classical music can you be

You could just as easily say 'there are people who listen to Indie Rock to make themselves appear intellectually superior'. You could literally replace Classical Music, Indie Rock &c. with an X and your argument would be the same. Sure, some people base their intelligence on the music they listen to, but most people who enjoy Classical Music simple....enjoy Classical Music. Shocking, I know!

Except indie music didn't play back in the ages of le classy aristocrat gentlemen in fancy clothing smoking pipes like a boss so it isn't anywhere as good at giving yourself a false sense of intellectual through mere consumption.

This is actually me. I don't love every genre, but I'll give anything in any genre a chance if someone recommends it.

Its a very basic concept. The inferiority complex. You make up for failures like maybe giving poor performance at high school or in any general way really. So you do stuff that gives you an image of being "smart" and satisfies your inner ego. 98% of classical listeners do it exclusively for this reason alone.

what an antisocial viewpoint. how comfortable are you?

i love it when people throw arbitrary percentages they just made up to sound more credible

It's rare to find people who like free-form jazz, harsh noise, extreme dissonance modern classical, pop country, and brostep. You're a real special snowflake.

watch that ego, son.

>X music is bad because of how I perceive its listeners
nope, you're retarded

sounds like you have an inferiority complex with classical and its listeners. nothing to be scared of, they just like classical.

Most people like music purely because they like it. Those who pretend to like something to look cool are generally douchebags no matter what genre they pick to fit in at any given point

this guy is a bit of a dickhead
i'm not a fan of classical but i love ambient and i recognise modern classical's influence on the genre
in any case there's no real point getting worked up over someone else's taste unless they're actively making your life worse with it

Maybe it's cause of where I live but I have never encountered this. Except in white girls but that shit is obvious.

People who actually love classical music don't give a shit what other people think of their taste.

Most people on Cred Forums seem to think that music taste is some big competition and whoever knows the most albums or the most obscure albums is superior--it's not like that with classical.

With classical music, people generally agree on who the greats are. There's know "underground" classical composer(s) with less than 100 views on youtube and no wikipedia page who are secretly better than Bach or something. It doesn't work like that.

Classical music fans are anything but posers, they are people who actually care about technique in composition, skill in performance, innovation and advancement of music as an art form etc. They don't care what a bunch of 16-24yo autists on Cred Forums think of them.

Look nigga, most people are like you and I, but it's a lie to say you treat every genre equally. No one likes music from every genre, and you're lying to yourself if you think you enjoy everything.

I guarantee you these two people were bullied for their music taste in high school (assuming they aren't still in high school).

I don't even tell people I listen to classical unless they specifically ask me what kind of music I like.

Also I don't exclusively listen to classical, I also listen to some rock, hip-hop, electronic, etc.

Pretty different things desu famalam

Normies always say this but only listen to one genre

so what was he listening to?

What is Classical honestly? It's highly undefined

music made before 2010

>Most people on Cred Forums seem to think that music taste is some big competition and whoever knows the most albums or the most obscure albums is superior--it's not like that with classical.
It's like that with /classical/ though. Or at least it appears to be because everyone there is under at least 40 layers of irony.

>who is Julius Eastman

/classical/ is terrible, its only raison d'ĂȘtre is the mega folders in the op

I think the best fit term is anything with a written score that's distributed as opposed to strictly recordings. How that differs from jazz or any "popular" styles with a written score (are there any?) idk but it might have something to do with artistic lineage at this point.

Sorry for the non answer

a mediocre composer praised only for his skin color/sexuality

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_music

literally google

>It's like that with /classical/ though

yeah, /classical/ is still part of Cred Forums

now granted I don't really know any better place to discuss classical, I only know like two other people IRL who listen to it at all and one of them is my fucking psychiatrist...

> everyone who likes classical music doesn't like classical music, I'm literally the only person who likes classical music!!!
> god damn, I'm so special

That's you user.

>classical music is art music
fucking retarded

>classical music is art music
this is correct

Even though it sounds pretentious as fuck it's true. Personally I like to use "formal music"

>I like everything except rap and country

>guy at my work says he likes Wu-Tang
>he doesn't know about GZA, ODB or Raekwon's work

Fucking normies, man.

this motherfucker looks like a gnome from WoW

What is wrong with this?

"yeah, I've never heard am autechre song that didn't make sense to me"

A term popularised by retarded Americans and poseurs who couldn't be bothered learning European history to refer to European music spanning many centuries including Medieval, Renaissance, Baroque, Classical, Romantic and Impressionist music. Do note that the opinions of people who use "classical" to refer to any other kind of music other than to the music from the classical period, or of those who use such terms as "art music", "serious music" or "real music", is worth less than dried up shit on the sidewalk.

Every autechre track makes more sense than this post

A perfectly respectable opinion.

I hate when older people ask me what kind of music I like
I can't tell them I like hip hop / rap
and I can't tell them I like to listen to cute japanese girls singing

someone switch his hair and beard around

smash mouth - all star

kind of a bandwagon opinion honestly

this

I would love to not care about what others think
so I could simply say what genre I like even if I don't look like it at all

>yeah i like swans

It's code for:

>I only like dadrock and pop

it's true though.

these are literally academically used terms. it's not like they were just made up by some critic or something.

well, they were made up, as was every other musical term

>"I listen to a lot of experimental hip hop"
>"Yeah I like that too"

it isn't tho

>tries to into semantics
>can't into semantics

>t. "cultured" American

t. British refugee

>british
>refugee
no such thing lad

>no such thing
*tips Quran*

How much do you have to listen to not to be a jazz pleb? Kinda curious about a stranger's opinion for my own validation.

fpbp

98% of statistics are made up on the spot