Are the Eagles the worst band of all time?

Are the Eagles the worst band of all time?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FXbmG6WLu9I
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

no theyre one of the best bands of all time

Pretentious egotists who made some really groovy and catchy tunes. Radio killed hotel california

Yea.

I see you also read Christgau's Eagles reviews.

Definitely did not

le Big LEbowski meme

EAGLES ARE SHIT desu xd

amiright???

This

Eagles really aren't that bad.
I quite like them honestly.
They didn't change the face of music. But their music is enjoyable for driving around at sunset/after dark and just chilling.

The Long Run [Asylum, 1979]

Not as country-rocky as you might expect--the Eagles are pros who adapt to the times, and they make the music tough. I actually enjoy maybe half of these songs until I come into contact with the conceited, sentimental woman-haters who are doing the singing. I mean, these guys think punks are cynical and antilife? Guys who put down "the king of Hollywood" because his dick isn't as big as John David Souther's? C+

Greatest Hits Volume 2 [Asylum, 1982]

I admit it--this made my A shelves after the Bellamy Brothers softened me up. But that was unjust to the Bellamy Brothers. The Eagles are slimy not smarmy, pulchritudinous not purty, multiplatinum titans not singles artists, pretentious cynics not small-time con men, Topanga Canyon not San Fernando Valley. Sure their tunesmanship, zeitgeistheit, and guitar goodies were fun on the radio. But the next time I weeded my shelves, they were tracked to the reference collection. B-

>They didn't change the face of music

Pretty much everything that happened in country music since the 80s was possible because of the Eagles.

The Long Run was admittedly a pretty crap album beyond its three hit singles. They were in the same unenvious situation as the Bee Gees and Fleetwood Mac; having to follow up on mega blockbuster albums.

I mean, tracks like The Disco Strangler and Teenage Jail seem like bad studio outtakes rather than something that should have been put on an album.

That's a vast overstatement..
There were many similar artists to the Eagles that arose independently without being directly influenced by them, America being just one such example.
And even then I would only go so far as to saying they paved the way for later acoustic rock in the similar vein and the california sound, however the overall sound of country from the 80's on was shaped by artists have nothing to do with the eagles and any influence they may have had was passing at best.

Why is this guy popular?
He uses a lot of words without saying anything.
>I actually enjoy maybe half of these songs until I come into contact with the conceited, sentimental woman-haters who are doing the singing. I mean, these guys think punks are cynical and antilife? Guys who put down "the king of Hollywood" because his dick isn't as big as John David Souther's?
What in the FUCK is he talking about?

Don Henley is one of the biggest douchebags in rock, yet people still continue to eat the crap he pulls from his butt.

It's just a copypaste of his review of Foreigner - Head Games with a few words changed.

Admit you all used to think Heartache Tonight was Party Tonight.

>Pretentious egotists
Could NOT have said it better myself

nobody put country and rock together and grooved quite like the eagles.

idk if he's a douche, but some of the decisions he made have called his personal ethics into question. firing felder and having a legal battle to shill him out of his share of the band was a dick move.

>nobody put country and rock together and grooved quite like the eagles

Aerosmith were alright, but they leaned more towards the rock than the country side which is why they influenced GNR and Metallica more than they did Alan Jackson.

But yeah, the country rock fad of the 70s--Eagles, Aerosmith, Doobie Brothers, Lynyrd Skynyrd, some Rolling Stones, REO Speedwagon, etc.

aerosmith *rocked* though. they didn't *groove* like the eagles did

the only other artist that i think has a similar style as the eagles is jackson browne. byrds, csny, and young alone are all too folky, as are most of the other california bands of that era. certain bands had songs that sounded kind of like eagle tunes - Pure Prairie League's 'Amie' and Marshall Tucker Band's 'Heard it in a love song' both have the Eagle vibe, imo

>byrds, csny, and young alone are all too folky, as are most of the other california bands of that era

The Eagles weren't California natives of course, they were from Texas which is why they don't sound like CSNY. It's no different than how GNR don't have that poofy Los Angeles hairspray sound because Axl Rose grew up in Indiana, not LA.

Are you shit talking the Big Lewbowski? Just because it's an easy joke doesn't mean it's a bad one.

REO Speedwagon didn't get hot until nearly the end of the decade and their single biggest success came out in the 80s, though obviously they were part and parcel of the 70s country rock scene.

CCR and Allman Brothers were really the bands that started the whole country rock thing. It mostly died out in the 80s during that era of slicked back MTV/Los Angeles excess although REM kept the genre going during that time.

There was a large part of flyover country America for whom the New York and LA music scenes didn't resonate.

Yeah but Life In The Fast Lane, eh lads?

John C. Mellencamp was the king of Heartland Rock and don't you forget it.

That's an example of how the Eagles grooved while Aerosmith didn't. LITFL has a flowing feel to it while Aerosmith's songs were usually more herky-jerky and based on short licks (like early Black Sabbath).

Yes.

No.
They made one of the most famous and beautiful song of the rock era

youtube.com/watch?v=FXbmG6WLu9I

Overplayed. Tries too hard to be an epic but sounds cheesy af.