Can people in third world countries make good music...

Can people in third world countries make good music? They probably don't know crap about music theory or have proper musical training. Do people listen to their inferior music as pity for them? Or do they genuinely like it?

Muh noble savages

>thinking knowing a descriptive (Western) language that largely doesn't apply to their traditions would make them better musicians
>dude you need to learn your instrument based on some arbitrary standards to make good music
Daily reminder that theoryfags are mental midgets and cancer who should not be allowed near the arts.

#TRIGGERED

woah what an original meme. It really made me thunk.

how does knowing more about your craft make you worse at it explain this to me

knowing more music theory should improve songcraft

>woah what an original meme. It really made me thunk.

You are a mental midget.

A very intelligent person once said:
>I'm discounting chops and the technical end because as far as I'm concerned that sort of thing has basically nothing to do with what's in a player's heart, and expression of passion was basically why music was invented in the first place. A lot of people don't see it in quite those terms, of course; their absolutism takes another form: they think you have to "know how to play" your instrument according to some preset and as far as I can see arbitrary standards before anyone can even begin to take you seriously. They further think that the more technically proficient a player you become, ipso facto the better music maker, or let's say maker of better music you become. Why do they nurse this curious notion? Probably because they have been brainwashed, but who picked up the first bar of soap? It seems to me that this kind of thinking is by definition quantitative rather qualitative: you can sling arpeggios all over the place, you can freeze the baby in the bathwater and mail the ice to Siberia, but the fact remains that if you take one note, any note, and let two different people play it, what comes out of one's axe just might be nothing more than the note, whereas through some magic the other's note might be just a little more expressive, probably because there was something, a kind of inner urgency and yearning, behind it. And all the conservatories and theory books and virtuoso chop-flashings in the world aren't gonna make one iota of difference in regard to that one humble note.

this shit right here is the goddamn truth

>MUH expression

Good quote, Who said this?

Lester Bangs.

>muh art?

Whites (and east asians (who are white for all intensive purposes)) are the only race capable of understanding and therefore creating music. Everything else is atonal jungle noise.

weak b8, 3/10

I understand where he's coming from, but I don't feel he's quite right on. The magic of music doesn't lie in expression, it lies in impression. The real magic, that which distinguishes those two same notes, is in the ear of the listener

Is it just the same person who keeps making these kinds of threads?

I believe music should be more felt than engineered.

>Waaaahh dont say mean things about muh shitty ethnic music

u mad?

Not him but there should rather be a balance.
A balance that leans more towards the emotional spectrum of thinking though.
It's definitely good to have mechanical understanding of music, or any art for that matter.
But without passion, talent, or a real investment in what you're making, I don't think that the result will really be genuine

I think you're establishing a false dichotomy. Plenty of music is 'felt' but heavily rooted in some kind of theory. Who's to say a Fela jam isn't engineered through countless hours of practice? Can you likewise prove that Yngwie plays entirely without "soul?"

The anti-theory argument often invokes famous players who supposedly flaunted formal music training of any kind. But do they not subconsciously absorb musical conventions?

To me, it's all akin to claiming artists shouldn't study anatomy.

I hope you realize that there have been numerous experimental composers and musicians that had a lot of theory knowledge

Engineering enhances feeling. There's beautiful, clever, sublime music that can only be constructed by thoughtful design. Stumbling around for tricks with timbre sometimes produces interesting results, but music like Bach, Stavinsky or Messiaen's can't really be felt out. And that's likely why musicians that are most discussed on Cred Forums's artistic powers often wane after their greatest works, when brilliant composers continually improve.

desu the ONLY (and I mean only) people capable of making good music are straight white men who here agrees please upvote... maga

The fact that the "most civilized culture in the planet" churns out garbage like Taylor Swift makes OP theory invalidated

Also, OP is a faggot because fuck you