Theory

How do you make a good sounding 4 chord progression.

I seem to be stuck on a 3 chord movement and am havig trouble with finding a perfect 4 set of chords.

It sounds good with just the 3 chords but it also feels incomplete, as if something is missing.

The prog is a G-->C-->D
And from there I go either back from D-->C-->G or D-->G and repeat. Other chords when I use them sound not quite right.

How does one develop the 4 chord circular movement?
Guitar BTW

Thom yorke doesn't do music theory.

I really like Thom but im not trying to replicate that sound.

More like a Nirvana-Polly or NMH-In the Aeroplane over the sea type of chord progression

>>>/comp/

he uses the same chord progression as NMH and Nirvana, as does Adele and Justin Bieber. They just voice them differently with different timbres, in different keys and rhythms with different melodies. It's called pop music.

Tonal progressions usually follow a tonic-predominant-dominant-tonic cycle.
>tonic chords are usually: I, vi
>predominant chords are: ii, IV
>dominant chords are: iii, V, vii - but 95% of the time it's V
You can extend this by adding more chords in the tonic area. A common example would be I-vi-IV-V or in G major, G-Em-C-D. Here we have two chords in the tonic area and one in predominant and dominant areas each.
You can also add more pulls and stresses by taking the dominant or predominant chord and raising the root by a fifth and building a major (usually a major-minor seventh) chord on that and placing it before that dominant or predominant chord. This is called a secondary dominant.
Here's an example. We take that G-C-D progression and add a space before C and D. Then we take D and raise it a fifth to an A and build a major chord on A. So the new progression is G-C-A-D

Ive heard all about that first progression before. Its the sequence of NMH title track

The second one you mentioned ill look into for sure, however ive tried C to A and it just doesnt sound right to me.

I have been experimenting outside of the prog I mentioned and jumped from C to B. Is this called a pull as u referred?
From here I went B-->D-- to either -->A-->C-->B or -->C-->G-->B. This completed a 4 chord, which I would use as chorus.

What is missing in the first progression given my second progression, or is a 4 chord sequence even needed in the verse at all?

I know how to play Karma Police, Fake Plastic Trees, How to dissapear completely, and Exit Music.

He seems to be using a different more advanced strategy.

so in G Major
I=G
ii-a
iii=b
IV=C
V=D
vi=e
vii*=f#

Upon practicing your suggestion of G-C-A-D actually sounds really nice. Sorry I did not have my guitar before.

Wouldn't this be considered taken from another Key other than G? How does that work?

>ive tried C to A and it just doesnt sound right to me.
Consider having the C# of the A major chord at the top so if you only hear the highest notes of each chord, C-A-D would go C-C#-D. It's smooth and the C# pulls to D.

C to B is quite a pull yes, I wouldn't use it often though. It could get grating on the ears. Probably if you need to dramatically highlight something.
>I went B-->D-- to either -->A-->C-->B or -->C-->G-->B
Are these all major chords?

>Wouldn't this be considered taken from another Key other than G? How does that work?
The A major chord is what you called a secondary dominant. A V of V chord. So yes it's taken from the key of D.

Ill try the C# out.
yeah in guitar tab im going
B- 7998xx
D-x5777x
C-x3555x
G-3554xx
back to B.

Ive gotten good combos with that c# just messing around so I hope I can find out what I did again.

Ok this is the part I dont get about borrowing from other keys. How do you label them basically

>How do you label them basically
V/V

you can also have V/anything. V/ii, V/IV, V/vi it all works.

I-IV-ii-V(7)

I-vi-ii-V

oh also sometimes say you're in C major and for whatever reason you really want to have an f minor chord, borrowing from C minor. You just label it as a iv

A good example of this is
>we wish you a merry Christmas we wish you a merry Christmas we wish you a merry Christmas (and a happy new year)
Which starts on a tonic chord but it's used as a V/IV
And the progression is (V/IV-IV)-(V/V-V)-(V/vi-vi)-V-I

This is alot of info and im trying to keep up, new at this.
It would help when giving progressions to name the chords please.

So to label lets say I go with
I=G-->IV=C-->V/V=A-->V=D
then say I want to transition to a chorus from
I=G-->IV=C-->V=D-->IV=C----->?=B-->V=D-->IV=C-->I=G then bounce back into the chorus.

How do I label that B, and do you guys have any suggestions for a bridge progression?

The song is tuned down half a step but the notes on the B are
A#,F,A#,D

but i am labelling the progressions as if they are in standard tuning.

thats making my head spin man.
are you saying that they are using the IV of the Dominant chords key and labelling as a IV,
like is (V/IV-IV) just one chord. If so I think you should be saying [(V/IV)-IV]

You you'll just label it III

Oh sorry I just parenthesized every two chords to make the groupings of dominant-tonic easier to read.

oh so the V/x only applys to the dominant?
Also keep in mind I am interjecting the open strings when switching chords which I think sound nice, as they also happen to be the same note names as the chords that I am using!

good idea, ill be using that

No if the III was an applied dominant chord you would have an A chord after it. Secondary dominants needs to have the (temporary) tonic after it. B->D would be a III-V but B-Em would be V/vi-vi if that makes sense.

V/ii sorry

Holy shit sorry I can't think straight. Ok lemme try that again
B major to D major. That's III to V in the key of G major
B major to E minor. That's V/vi in the key of G major. Forget the A in the first post god fuck I was thinking in a different key

Don't worry if you can't grasp it now remembering things is hard

buddy if ur doing g c and d shit just add an Eminor

thanks for clarifying, I was getting confused but now makes sense.

I will give it a go , what is the alternate e minor on guitar, is it 079980??

Also where would it fit, I think other user suggested G-em-C-D, is this the only logical place to put it?

the Polly Combo is em-G-D-C (verse) -D-C-G-Bflat..... how does Bflat fit in this???
aeroplane is G-em-C-D

I guess ill play around with it but I dont know if open or closed em would sound better

dammit,
now im going em-G-C and im stuck again. Is there anywhere to go besides D ?