ITT: Live performances that make you go, "OK, what the fuck?"

youtube.com/watch?v=kGj27OOpr9Y

I mean, I actually really like the music, but what the fuck.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SDqJjRoXBMI
youtube.com/watch?v=A4b0c7bdzfg
youtu.be/Rqr4y0m8E_Y
youtube.com/watch?v=FBgB1GCn6pA
youtube.com/watch?v=8JTbrqmS77w
youtube.com/watch?v=yqQ7tU26Q6E
academia.edu/11809112/Communication_and_Control
youtube.com/watch?v=ZIYT8vRK0FE
youtube.com/watch?v=hfOQF1kyzOw
youtube.com/watch?v=KiSwGbv4QUg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I want to take what this guy seem to take during his shows, this seems awesome.

kek

That's just John Maus. He's super intelligent. He's got a bunch of degrees and when addressed about his live performances he goes on and on about The Hysterical Body and its relation to pop music.

His interviews are weird. He rambles frantically and is generally hard to follow.
youtube.com/watch?v=SDqJjRoXBMI
youtube.com/watch?v=A4b0c7bdzfg

>Obligatory "John Maus has a PhD in some critical theory shit and is smart as fuck"

Watch an interview with the guy. He's on another level

He probably has a 50 page philosophical essay hidden somewhere explaining this

pretty BORING music tho, but I guess that's his point or something

shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up

I would take a bullet for John Maus

>RADICAL LANGUAGE WITH ARIEL PINK UHHHHHHHHHHH

Maus is too smart for his own good. He's gone off of the deep end.

John Maus is just a mental patient who hasn't been properly examined and sent to a hospital yet

TALENTLESS HACK

Still would though.

youtu.be/Rqr4y0m8E_Y

No way this guy isn't on the autism spectrum

HEALTH also made an appearance on The Eric Andre Show. Didn't think they could reach Merzbow levels of noisy.
youtube.com/watch?v=FBgB1GCn6pA

And who could forget Attack DeMarco?
youtube.com/watch?v=8JTbrqmS77w

here's a pretty WTF live performance. not characteristic of AnCo at all.
youtube.com/watch?v=yqQ7tU26Q6E

Is Eric Andre the most patrician late night host?

Sung Tongs is a weird album though so it makes sense

By far but no one else is worth watching on late night television

That's just how the song sounds though.

He does, actually. But its 338 pages instead of 50
academia.edu/11809112/Communication_and_Control
Maybe before he started rehashing the same jokes over and over. Dude's been slipping, and his attempts at being political recently are more awkwardly lacking in self-awareness than funny. Still love him though, and hope he catches himself before he turns into a burnout version of Nick Cannon

Well I mean a dissertation is usually a book.
Also nice catch. Too bad I know absolutely 0 about polisci, so even the abstract is leaving me bewildered.

Considering it was written for experts in polisci nobody can blame you. If you can stomach sorting through his massive interviews he's touched upon the theory behind his performances quite a bit.

An unfaithfully simple summary is that he believes the most interesting work can come out of pushing the boundaries of what the human body is capable of. He also borrows the idea of détournement from the LI and applies it to his music, in that the actual act of performance is meant to subjugate the utilitarian purpose of musical performance as a way to further the Situation (sort of the political and economic interests of the dominant capitalistic powers). So by punching himself, screaming, and generally pulling a lighter but more purposeful GG Allin, he's able to take the dynamic of the untouchable dehumanized clown dancing on a stage for money to the pacified spectators and turn it into a way to have a real moment of human connection between everyone involved, and in turn overthrow the Situation itself, at least in a small way. That's why he puts so much importance on his shows being something that are done "together" with the crowd. Its not him as the symbol of performance capital fulfilling his situational role, its him and everyone having a real moment of what he calls "seeing and being seen".

>not characteristic of AnCo at all
I beg to differ, their early shows were like that, although that one sounds that way because it's just unaccompanied guitar and vocals

Grad student here and I can say that it essentially boils down to "technology has changed the way people talk to each other. You just gotta be nice"

these guys are always autistic though

"no"

youtube.com/watch?v=ZIYT8vRK0FE
Mostly for the last 3 minutes

it's the opposite; this is their primal autistic state

sounds pretty good around 3:05

Grimes - Scream: youtube.com/watch?v=hfOQF1kyzOw

I've always thought this sounded really good actually

Especially if I was gone off some shit, It'd feel like a revelation

>pretty BORING music tho
it's not

it's basically pop stripped back to it's total basics, except it kind of isn't

no it doesn't at all

You idiots call anyone mad who thinks differently and not in uniform like you shurken-headed cunts.

*shrunken-headed

So what you're saying is
it's vapid pop music
except without anything that makes it catchy, like real pop music

so basically
it's not interesting to anyone

What the fuck. And why are people taking photos? Next time my sister is seizing I'll be sure to whip my Instagram filters.

>He later studied music at the California Institute of the Arts. As a college student he was interested in experimental music, such as the work of Michael Pisaro, as well as Medieval, Renaissance and Baroque music. When he befriended and began to work alongside Ariel Pink, he took a greater interest in pop music. While continuing to make music, Maus went on to study philosophy at the European Graduate School in Saas Fee, Switzerland, where he earned his master's degree. He was awarded a doctorate in political philosophy from the University of Hawai'i, where his thesis advisor was Michael J. Shapiro.

Most very intelligent people have Asperger's or something, even if they don't realize it. My older brother fits this description very much.

oh jesus

youtube.com/watch?v=KiSwGbv4QUg

>hard to understand
>intellectual
kek