/jazz/

Let's have a thread for all general jazz discussion.

What have you been listening to lately?
Who have you seen live lately?
Post some albums you like and ask for recs.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Z5_uympwNJc
youtube.com/watch?v=srs_ObgT_WQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

How did everyone celebrate Coltrane's birthday?

I listened to The Olatunji Concert.

got addicted to heroin

where do I start playing with playing jazz guitar? I basically only played tabs and simple chords before.

as a jazz guitar player myself, I recommend you to listen a lot of jazz guitar (obviously lol) like Kenny burrel, Georges Benson, Sylvain Luc, etc
the second best way is to be part of a jazz group, you really learn a lot.

On another side, I'm mostly interested by Contemporary Jazz, if someone had good recs for it it'd be appreciated. (I like Rudresh Mahanthappa, Walter Smith III, Dave Holland, stuff like that ;) )

How do jazz fans feel about Herbie Hancock? I'm new to jazz and I've been listening to his discography from the beginning. I just finished Mwandishi the other day.

What are some favorites/least favorites when it comes to him? So far mine is Fat Albert Rotunda.

First figure out how notation works, then start with basic theory lean all your major and minor triads and then seventh chords and their inversions.

Then start working on an easy standard and studying scales and how they work with the chords.

And listen to a ton of jazz guitar in the meantime like the other guy said.

>if someone had good recs for it it'd be appreciated
David Binney- Bastion of Sanity
Tim Warfield- Eye of the Beholder
Ari Hoenig- Bert's Playground
Jonathan Kreisberg- Shadowless
Billy Hart- Sixty-Eight
Steve Lehman- Mise en Abime

It's pretty hard to top Maiden Voyage

I listened to it. Really liked the title track and Dolphin Dance. So far my favorite 3 albums from Herbie are Fat Albert Rotunda, Inventions and Dimensions, and Taking Off.

lmao

Make sure you listen to some of his sideman work too. Especially with Miles Davis.

What are some of the Miles albums he did key-work on? I've heard great things about Miles's albums.

E.S.P
Miles Smiles
Sorcerer
Nefertiti
Miles in the Sky

Miles Smiles might be Hancock's best record with Miles but that's definitely arguable

I'll be sure to check it out, thanks.

What's some essential winter jazz? Something that really captures the vibes of walking around the city at night in a blizzard
This song really does it for me
youtube.com/watch?v=Z5_uympwNJc

I can't think of anything I like with him on the electric piano
First time I realized that was when I was listening to Joe Handerson's Power To The People

I'm listening to it now and...I like it, to be honest.

This is pretty cool.

Yeah I really like this. Do you have a Mega for the full album?

Sorry fellas don't know anything about the download. The whole album is on youtube if you want to listen to it tho. Just found it last week and I've listened to it like 5 times since

Good musician, not my favorite
I don't actively listen to anything he's done

youtube.com/watch?v=srs_ObgT_WQ

This is kinda interesting but a little too minimalist for my tastes. At least as far as jazz goes. I'm kinda thinking something with warm, muted trumpets, more of a swing to it.

soooo 1st quintet m80?

Are you talking about Miles Davis first quintet? Because yeah Round Midnight is definitely like what I was thinking of in terms of the style that captures the winter vibes

bump

I second this post, but I want to learn how to play jazz bass. Not upright, electric. I'm a poorfag. Any advice for a beginner?

im pretty good upright but i think electric is dumb and stopped practicing it but i can probably answer any questions you have.
yeah miles, and check out You Must Believe in Spring by Bill Evans, pretty wintery and in that vein but no trumpet 4 you senpai.

I'd value any advice you could give to get started, I suppose. I won't have an upright for a long time, but I guess the principle is the same

just work on your time feel and groove. start learning everything by ear, dont bother with tabs and shit. get a bass, work on learning the basslines you like by ear. start simple.