/prod/ - general production edition II

Talk about music production, composition, songwriting and audio engineering.

Upload WIPs on clyp.it/

GIVE feedback and RECEIVE feedback.

>ATTENTION!
DO NOT post Soundcloud, YouTube or any other links where you are not anonymous (unless somebody asks you for it). That is considered self promotion and will usually result in a bad feedback.

>LEARNING RESOURCES

(Obligatory mixing course)
>The Art of Mixing by David Gibson
youtu.be/TEjOdqZFvhY

(Obligatory synthesis course + additional related videos)
>Intro to Synthesis by New York School of Synthesis
youtu.be/atvtBE6t48M

YouTube channels that you should subscribe to:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>BusyWorksBeats (same as above, a lot of good new content coming)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

>Justin Omoi
youtube.com/channel/UCMnmXvv9JHJPsrrob-gEn5A

>WarBeats
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Samori Coles (not many videos, but a few good ones on compression and EQ)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

>Image Line Tutorials (for FL Studio users)
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

>READ THIS BEFORE ASKING WHERE TO BEGIN

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/prolapse_wizard/demo-m4a/s-b76rx
clyp.it/fujg5wza
clyp.it/js0j5pyq
clyp.it/huubatyu
clyp.it/fpmgiz5o
clyp.it/kfcpqcue
clyp.it/ewl5pz3x
youtube.com/watch?v=l_d0VrNJIck
clyp.it/q3kevti1
clyp.it/edxucvml
clyp.it/bnbkcukx
clyp.it/d22k2uil
clyp.it/dd11tkle
clyp.it/sl1akygx
mediafire.com/download/wvydh1b3z96sk6q
zoom.co.jp/products/multistomp/zoom-ms-50g-multistomp-guitar-pedal
clyp.it/t5axsste
soundcloud.com/jormangod/expedition
soundcloud.com/jormangod/jbenitex-modern-day
soundcloud.com/jormangod/jbenitex-exploration
soundcloud.com/jormangod/jbenitex-the-321
clyp.it/fexivyqw
clyp.it/wlfu0cva
clyp.it/01cntn0y
clyp.it/kd4vqnl3
youtube.com/watch?v=WqSTXuJeTks
youtube.com/watch?v=WPVhpJWTM_4
clyp.it/2q1ulp41
clyp.it/kt1hjf0i
clyp.it/o5hb4yj0
clyp.it/jmnb2c2u
clyp.it/3tnkccp2
clyp.it/ayswnjki
clyp.it/c10dryol
clyp.it/s2ges2u2
output.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=vylUOHKp-zI
clyp.it/toxuv4z2
clyp.it/vfrzid4m
youtube.com/watch?v=Pm7oIDIsy7g
clyp.it/t5riglom
twitter.com/AnonBabble

hey guys! I made this this morning and didnt do much more to it.
I wanna know how you guys feel about making something like this into a thrash punk thing

soundcloud.com/prolapse_wizard/demo-m4a/s-b76rx

uh oh shit i posted a SC link

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SOUNDCLOUD

gtfo.
No, I'll forgive it this once since you noticed your mistake. Reupload to clyp, and then we will r8 m8.

woh but the file is on my phone and snorted 2 lines of ketamine so im in another dimentions can yoi please rate standing

>

>Do you regret getting the white Maschine Studio? I have one too and, sometimes, the black ones look way cooler
I actually don't mind too much, I went to my local store to look at the TR-8 and ended up playing with the 808 kits on the Maschine which I really enjoyed. N.I had a sale on at the time and the Maschine was nearly half price so I decided to buy that in black...they only had it in white so I decided to go for the white one instead

Can someone explain pre fx and post fx in ableton plx, I'm confused and a new at this

Made a distorted version of this clyp.it/fujg5wza , clyp.it/js0j5pyq

and made this
clyp.it/huubatyu

Thoughts?

how can you sit there and listen to those noises on repeat

holy shit why would you do that to urself

no words can describe my thoughts apart from - thanks for the headache user.

Pre FX taps the signal that is coming directly from a track, before it has been passed on to the track’s device chains (FX) or mixer. Therefore, changes that are made to the tapped track’s devices or mixer have no effect on the tapped signal. Soloing a track that taps another track Pre FX will allow you to hear the tapped track.
Post FX taps the signal at the output of a track’s device chains (FX), but before it has been passed back to the track mixer. Changes to the tapped track’s devices will therefore alter the tapped signal, but changes to its mixer settings will not. Soloing a track that taps another track Post FX will allow you to hear the tapped track.
Post Mixer taps the final output of a track, after it has passed through its device chains and mixer. Soloing a track that taps another track Post Mixer will not allow you to hear the tapped track.

Do you need more help than that?

Also my m8 from Bris I'm suing if you see this when you get back- I commented directly on your clyp cos I missed you on the last /prod/ thread. I liked it though, more detailed comment on your clyp itself.

>guitar feedback with reverb
>/prod/

damn you guys suck so much im out see you in another few months

That's cool, man. I let NI get me real good and bought the Studio, Komplete Kontrol S61, and Komplete Ultimate.

I'm still pissed they never made an S61 in white.

Sorry for hijacking between you's two - I had the maschine mkII and ended up going to the TR8, and enjoyed the TR8 A LOT, but really liked the maschine too. I didn't really play around the maschine a whole lot though, in saying all that.

I would've gone with the TR-8 since I had a 707 and really like the step sequencing, but I had been using an NPC for a few years and wanted something like that, so Maschine was the best possible choice for me.

Maschine can do step sequencing too, but the layout of a TR-* machine is way more fun for that.

You didn't miss much not using the Maschine. They didn't develop the software much for several years. They are finally getting back to it and putting out some good updates though

MPC, not NPC

clyp.it/fpmgiz5o

please assist in making this more epic
feels like this gonna be really noice

Literally chose it for it's sequencing. Yeah, I use NI for a lot of other things, like the launchpads I'd be fucked without. Basically a third of my career to this point is to be thanked to Novation. So, I definitely have nothing on them or the maschine. Just thought the TR-8 looked cool as hell.

nah, i think you're good
it's pretty fucking epic

this must be bait

>clyp.it/fpmgiz5o
i like

>clyp.it/fpmgiz5o
This is hype I like it.

I'm on some weird shit over here
clyp.it/kfcpqcue

bump

fucking normies having to wageslave so the bread is dead fucking REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I was actually sitting here sorting some new stuff, and didn't really care about the bread (even though I reposted it earlier when it did dieded) because no one's responded to my response about the drum machines. Nothing interesting happens while they out working like normie prods.

In saying that though, most are probably sleeping too.

not bad, maeh.

that detuned string is fucking dope.

i think also it's that the're not many eurofags on these threads so around this time of day, the US still asleep.

that time teenage op actually was awesome

>Try to scour the web for info on mics and preamps
>Can't find an answer to how dynamic mics need more gain and which interface would be good
>Somehow I missed this thread

Is this a new thing? I tried asking Cred Forums about this, but got no answer. I even went to >Reddit

So anyway, I think I have it figured out. But what kind of audio interface would be good to couple with a Rode Procaster? I know it isn't strictly music related, but maybe you guys can help? I figured going for a Steinberg Ur12 would be good since it is supposed to have a preamp that is strong enough.

>ableton
>mac

>ableton d–(^ ‿ ^ )z
>mac (=ಠ ل͟ ಠ=)

And your point or am I missing something? I perform on a PC anyways...just studio and record on my macs?

You fell for two memes

it's 4 am...i'm tired. forgive me /prod/ for my autistic moment.

2pm here breh
im in the future
doesn't look bright

Aww damnit. But I'm Australian, and we're always in the future. Just in the states I'm behind everyone. :c Stupid merica always being behind everyone. Hope my future is as bright as it has been and not how you seen user.

clyp.it/ewl5pz3x
>unoriginal

i almost never do this kinda music but it's fun at times. thoughts?

aw shiet!

can anyone identify what mic the lead singer is using here?

youtube.com/watch?v=l_d0VrNJIck

Someone pls respond, I think I've found the answer, but I would like to get some other points of view

sorry m8 no idea what u talking aboot

Well, firstly, what are you using the mic for then yeah I could probably respond?

What do you think is the answer?

Dynamic mics are less sensitive than condensers, so they need more gain. Dynamic mics (eg. SM58) are also the go-to mics for live and when recording loud instruments, because they don't distort as easily (since they're less sensitive to gain).

Pretty simple stuff. Also read Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook or something equivalent.

As for interface, the main thing you need to look for is the amount of connections available, so that you have enough of them (esp. phantom powered channels). Other than that pretty much every brand name is a good purchase. Focusrite, Steinberg, RME, even Behringer makes decent stuff these days.

Mainly voice overs and talking, might try to record some vocals for a few ideas I have (traditional rock) but this isn't what the mic is designed for

Well, since dynamic mics need more gain, I've seemed to arrive at the conclusion that the Scarlett line doesn't provide enough of it. I am a retard and can't find specs on the preamp in the Steinberg, but from what I've understood it's stronger and better than what is found in the equivalent Focusrite. As for Phantom Power, I don't need it for this particular microphone, and I should have enough connections for everything else. Might go for the UR22 though just in case I feel like recording my guitar and vocals at the same time.

Thank you both for the feedback though, appreciate it.

What do you think of a composition only? (It's still very rough so don't kill me please, that guitar vst also acts really strange when played on a keyboard). I'm not sure about the overall feel, especially if the part from 0:23 to 0:45 is a bit too cheesy.

clyp.it/q3kevti1

really pleasant progression

at :23 its kinda nice, could be less high notes tho

You don't need _that_ much gain for dynamics. Besides, why are you using an SM58 for recording whispers? Get a condenser, that's what they're for. There is not a single radio station in the world (except maybe some pirate radios in Africa) that would use a dynamic mic for in-studio chatter.

I do recall somebody complaining that Focusrite can be a bit quiet. But again, get a condenser, you won't have any problems. There are also separate gain boosters available cheap.

Your guitar sound and lines are already hella cheesy, so no need to worry about that. Otherwise sounds just like any old rock song since the 80s. You will need good vocals or solos.

Thank you.

Yeah, I was worried that it probably sounds too generic though. I'm not sure that I'll continue working on it. Another day another project I guess.

I'm (going) to be using a Rode Procaster, which seems to be fairly gain-hungry. It's overkill for what I intend to do with it, but this is how I tend to do things.

I was thinking of getting a condenser at first, specifically the Audio-Technica AT2020, but I have too much background noise in my house and it would pick all of it up, so condensers aren't really an option. This is why I chose to go dynamic.

Trying something new. How to make the melody in the final part more interesting?

clyp.it/edxucvml

Guess it's time to kill my self

>clyp.it/huubatyu

First part is a pretty cool sound though.

What are the chances of anyone ITT making it in the music industry?

tfw you want to produce music and you've been learning how to for 3 years but you still can't come up with a personal sound or even decide on a genre to produce so you rarely make a full song

and before you say it, after years of experimenting and just "making what I feel like", without worrying about genres or sound or whatever, I've more than realised how necessary it is to stick to a genre and sound in order to advance and improve.

Know that feel man. 3 years and counting. Production quality is pretty good, but composition is shit. Have not finished even one track in that time.

clyp.it/bnbkcukx
how'd I do, what did I do wrong

sticking with a genre, yes, maybe you should, but unless you're trying to make a living out of your music (LOL) you shouldn't be worrying about having to finish a project after 3 fucking years at it. That's nothing. My fav producer spent 10 years and 3 diff genres before he was able to find his sound.

if you're in it for the $$ and don't want to work hard, just copy something popular and add your own twist. If you truly want to find your own sound, be prepared to spend years at it

>but unless you're trying to make a living out of your music (LOL)
>LOL

Why LOL if somebody wants that?

b/c the chances of that are in the vicinity of 0.01%
but hey don't let me crush your pipe dreams
and if you want to hate what you love doing, just start doing it for a living

>There is not a single radio station in the world (except maybe some pirate radios in Africa) that would use a dynamic mic for in-studio chatter

bruh. The re20 and the shure sm7b are some of the most commonly used microphones for broadcasting. Both dynamic

>finding your sound
in your 3 years, have you figured out any production techniques that you tend to use? maybe a certain way you chop samples, a certain way you layer, a certain combination of send effects?

find some techniques that speak to you and stick with them, regardless of genre.

also, make sure you save your own presets. Got a pad you made in a song you really liked, save it, always use it, just tweak it slightly from song to song. Do that until you have a small little library of your own bass, drums, pads, leads, fx. Use them every time (or at least a few of them).

I make a great income on my music now and it's taken me about 8 years to fully get here to the top. It's all about skill and talent in this industry and standing out from others. If you can't produce something that people want to buy, go see, or work with then there's really no point in wasting your time on it even if you love it. Because then it will let you down and you will hate it.

i'd recommend investing in a good interface and mic, because most good companies will offer at least a 5 year warranty - if you treat the kit right it could last over 10 years or more.

I have an allen and heath zed 10 and a rode nt1a and they are perfect

An example is below, ignore the vocal that is my shitty laptop mic as setting up the interface can be timely. The click and hats are used with them, good luck user

rate my melody guys
>pop

clyp.it/d22k2uil

>I've more than realised how necessary it is to stick to a genre and sound in order to advance and improve.
bait or retard, I just don't know anymore

Nice quality post

>If you can't produce something that people want to buy, go see, or work with then there's really no point in wasting your time on it even if you love it.

kek, enjoy continuing to make your shitty pop tunes for the masses just to have a roof over your head 10 years from now

>this is what edm "producers" actually believe

>great income
what did he mean by this?

It's not pop (maybe my 2 singles yes) but you can't tell me Wall Fuck is pop.

>10 years from now

clearly you haven't thought that far ahead

I was using Ableton a bunch this week, and I'm no expert. I installed a free VST (Crystal) and fucked around with it until I get a sound I really liked and then built a whole piece around that particular sound.
Saved, shut down when I left my computer every day for two weeks or so and the parameters I set persisted. Logged on today and they're gone. I didn't save the parameters through the VST so I think I'm fucked, but I just want to know if anyone knows if I can recover the old parameters somehow?
Does Ableton have savestates? Would an automatic update fuck them up? Are those parameters boned? I'm having a hard time remaking them.

I like the whole 80s revival/ retro thing

have a listen

clyp.it/dd11tkle

can't for the life of me figure out how I want to move the song forward

also any pointers on mixing etc. would be very appreciated, also I Know the sub bass is a little overpowering but thats just from mp3 compression

Keep projecting mate. You're probably so pessimistic because you failed and now want to bring others down. It's not easy, but it is still possible.

I wanna switch from fl to ableton but I don't have the program anymore
people around me seem to be increasingly paranoid about torrenting and if I'm honest, I'm feeling the same these days.
what do I do
>inb4 buy, that's maybe an option when I've worked with it for half a year

keep making your trendy meme edm thinking it's not already dead

I can live without worrying about anything, and can just worry about myself and my music.

And no, I have thought that far ahead - it's called putting money into a savings account. Shocking, I know.

I'm not even that guy, my man.

>putting money into a savings account

you will be broke in 10 years m8. screen crap this. the only career sustainable genre is pop.

Fuck my mind is still kina boggled

flume r8 this from before
clyp.it/sl1akygx

Guess I'm fucked.

That feel when just bought live 9.5 suite.

Okay, but if my first album was 2012 and it's now 2016 and my second album did equally as well, and my first single exceeded all expectations, which was perceived more as a "pop" song than EDM song.. Why couldn't I pull that off one more time? Not saying I particularly want to. Plus I have ideas of what I would like to do after I end this. I'm not asking to be Deadmau5 and drive a Bentley around Toronto (which Joel does). I'm also one of only ones here that gives a shit if this thread stays alive most of the time. Production is way more than just making money. And as I said it's either gonna work for ya or it don't.

Is this the one from the earlier board? I commented on the actual clyp from before do you still have the link?

>I'm also one of only ones here that gives a shit if this thread stays alive most of the time.

here we go

I'm not going to argue with you anymore. There's no reason for it. Good luck to you and whatever it may be you want to do or get out of music.

ayy, you know what's up. Do you know why Say it and Never be like you were so successful though? They had lyrics which women could relate with. Same reason why your remix of you and me and Tennis court succeded. just my opinion desu

can't find it unfortunately,did you write a lot?

just allow these neeks

keep doing you if they dont want to be helped

lurk more faggot

its moar m8

i mean if u wanna use le meymeys at least do it right

literally disgusting

As I said I'm not continuing this with you, people have differing opinions on what successful music is and isn't. End of story.

Yeah m8 I actually think I did. I was really tired though - so I can chuck it another listen now and tell you on here while I have some time.

>keeps replying

stay newfag

Did a total system restore and it still hasn't worked. Scanned the .als and there don't seem to be any parameters saved anywhere. Any ideas at all? I'll try anything that won't ruin my PC.

Are you really flume? That's pretty based if you are, I thought only the amateur neets post in these threads (according to 99% shit clyps). I hope there are more professional musicians here from who we can learn something.

I wish I didn't suck.

I live by "The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried".

Anyone who knows me, knows that I frequent Cred Forums and reddit. My reddit was more for promotion back then (now for general shit tier foolery). Here (which I haven't been on in a few days) I like helping those to understand production a bit better, because I know just how it feels to be in that position. Also, I ended my splendour set with "fuck pauline hanson" - Cred Forums for the aussies is top keks. I have made numerous videos in the hope to help aspiring producers. Sometimes my opinion comes across a shit load harsher than what I probably mean, but I don't mind defending my opinions when I need to. I love teaching production and helping whenever. I do know a few others who come on here too.

Don't incorrectly identify training with learning. He is busking this "make money" mantra and not furthering the arts at all. Capitalist shitter who makes basic ass music, only has respect from a bunch of sophomoric acideaters.

Yeah that's pretty based. I've seen you like three times(when you played at festivals and one time my friends wanted to sneak into your concert), put on a pretty good show m8.

>resident "just follow ur dreams" producer is making generic EDM pop tripe

wew I mean good for you for making it but at the end of the day you're making disposable garbage

>flume is a Cred Forumsfag
wtf I hate flume now

Yeah who gives a shit about making money with music. Producers like Tim Hecker and OPN are 100x better than Flume and don't have half the recognition.

>Soloing a track that taps another track Post FX will allow you to hear the tapped track.

What do you mean by this?

Mean, if you want to make money, great.
But if you have even the slightest iota of personality, you're going to do what feels right, making something in search of some abstract truth.

Fucking this.

>"basic"
it may seem basic to you and your avant garde tastes, but his style is actually quite experimental for a mainstream audience.

I think someone is jealous desu

>it may seem basic to you and your avant garde tastes, but his style is actually quite experimental for a mainstream audience.

I agree but encouraging people to put making money at the #1 priority when they're writing music is typical music industry sophistry.

>Generic pop/EDM
>Experimental
Anything in that BPM and style is going to be popular to the people that go to EDM shows because they're all on drugs.

Fuck let me rephrase that, what does hearing the tapped track actually do? is there a point for that?

I copied that from the Ableton handbook - it just means if you solo the track post FX you can hear before it goes to the mixer.

And I didn't encourage it to be #1 - just said if it's not working out for you then don't force yourself to do it if you DO want to make a living from it. If you can't make a living from making music, then don't force yourself to do so - or you will fall out of love with that very thing. The guy's post was about how he did want to make money from producing, and all I said was - some are lucky, some aren't. I would NEVER in a million years want anyone who loves producing music to stop. BUT. If someone wants an honest opinion if they should force themselves to be better to make a living off it, then no they shouldn't. Because then yes, music loses it's true meaning.

read my first point in response to your firstly phrased question. it's so you can hear that single track.

>And I didn't encourage it to be #1 - just said if it's not working out for you then don't force yourself to do it if you DO want to make a living from it. If you can't make a living from making music, then don't force yourself to do so - or you will fall out of love with that very thing. The guy's post was about how he did want to make money from producing, and all I said was - some are lucky, some aren't. I would NEVER in a million years want anyone who loves producing music to stop. BUT. If someone wants an honest opinion if they should force themselves to be better to make a living off it, then no they shouldn't. Because then yes, music loses it's true meaning.

That's fair I guess. George Benson wrote pop-funk but then was also a GOAT Jazz guitarist. When did you start producing?

He's just being honest. I'm sure he doesn't know everything so you don't have to listen to his advice if you don't want to, but some people would rather be successful and retire at 30 rather than having their work never play on air.

I'm sure most Australians(including me) aren't on drugs 24/7 or on them when they are driving and listening to the radio. Honestly, what is so bad about making money of something you love doing?

3 years isn't even an apprenticeship. I've personally been working on stuff for about 10-15 years and I'm still feeling my way around. The closest I got to finishing anything was over 5 years ago when I had a live set up in the smoke.
it'd take more than 3 years to just learn how to play a guitar or piano properly let alone master all the things related to production.

I actually found the clyp, thanks dude!

I was 13 when I found a little program you put on the PC to make shitty little songs with (was in band before this). Was about 16 when I took shit seriously. I still learn everyday, and really encourage that everyone does. If people don't like me or my advice, then that's their opinion. I just want people that do want to hear me and take my advice on board to be happy with what they do. Regardless of what money they make from it or not.

Oh good! Hold onto that link I'll add more comments later. Check it tomorrow because I'm off soon.

This is my first mixtape, how would i go about mixing the songs together in a way so that they are all close to an equal volume?

mediafire.com/download/wvydh1b3z96sk6q
Lofi/glitched out beats btw

I'm considering getting this stupid thing for a hardware workhorse, it has regular delay/chorus/phaser shit but also amp models, filter/eq/distortion.. Should be cool no?
>zoom.co.jp/products/multistomp/zoom-ms-50g-multistomp-guitar-pedal

This is pretty arousing t b h. More pls.

>in a band
What did you play? I play guitar and have fucked around with producing in Logic but never stuck to it. I actually have played some gigs that weren't to shabby - Lollapalooza when I was 14 and played Summerfest this year and two years ago.

I feel like I'm gonna be more of a "musician" desu, but what DAW do you use?

ITT user pretends to be flume and thinks that is an accomplishment

just bought a maxed out mpc2000 for 650 on craigslist. i sold my mpc2500 to get it. is there anything i need to know for the 2000 or is it an easily transferable skill?

clyp.it/t5axsste

i tried to make a bo en-ish tune, retro and cutesy futurebass like stuff. Did I overdo it with the percussion? I also feel like my lead is reallly obnoxious but if I tone it down my track feels empty. How should I go about it?

By the way, this is just a slice of the full piece and I plan to expand upon the ideas I have here for a full 3min track, i just whipped up a random ending for the clyp's sake.

Is innovation still possible in music? It appears like everything has been done already.

>650 for a 2000
>Not even the XL
>Selling a 2500 to get it
Nigga you just went backwards and got ripped off. Jesus I hope this is bait.

No kill yourself.

32mb of ram, 8 outs, fatpads, custom siding
dont really think i got ripped off, the 2500 had pad problems and lines in the screen. i'd rather grab something more acclaimed than repair something ive gotten stale of.

I thought jjos didn't work with the 2000?
did you ditch a jjos compatible version for a non compatible version?

also has usb instead of floppy

i think they're p alright

Wow why so hostile bro?

jjos does not work with the 2000, only 1000 and 2500. Pretty sure they wont make one for the 2000, but the og OS is not bad, just buggy at times.

i dont know man, i don't own a mpc, but my friend does and swears by jjos

soundcloud.com/jormangod/expedition

soundcloud.com/jormangod/jbenitex-modern-day

soundcloud.com/jormangod/jbenitex-exploration

soundcloud.com/jormangod/jbenitex-the-321

old tracks jbenitex....

yes. but if you're having to ask a question like that in a place like this you shouldn't concern yourself with such matters. worry about sounding like yourself - most people won't even get that far.

dont give that tripfag a (you)

u new or something lol?

is there a clyp.it for flac?

>Legit paying 650 for a 2000
You wasted about $350 congrats.

Bitch you posted here yesterday, read the op.

LOL THAT NEW

talentless hack

stop the (you)

he is the king of /prod/ you fucking pleb

just filter him. he's been around for years.

how did they do the drums on this?
especially at the start

clyp.it/fexivyqw

It's not about making money doing what you love, it's about telling people they'll hate their music if they don't make a living off of it.

>king of prod

lel

>clyp.it/fpmgiz5o
add bass variations, 1 7 6 7 1 gets boring after a while

personal opinion incoming: i would say drums should vary as well...i hear that lame 80's disco beat all the time. boom tss boom tss 1 2 3 4 blah blah bland.

sounds p good, ghost in the shell remnicients

I have no keyboard, is it required to for this kind of stuff? Can i just compose using only a computer?

you can but you should get one because using mouse only sucks

SUCK MY GUCCI BEBY AYH MAMA

check em

No I mean like pic related

if it has midi port you can connect to your interface or usb midi you can use this

i have a 61 key yamaha i use

answer this

Gated reverb

Day by day, having emotional ups and downs on a repeat - producing something, posting in this thread and getting meh feedback or realizing it is not good enough - start a new project - succeed, but ultimately fail again - and all over again.

This shit is stressful. I literally have nothing else to do until february the next year, except finishing my final project for the undergrad.

I don't know, I want to keep practicing and make something out of this but something in my head always faintly tells me it's a waste of a time. Anybody else in a similar boat? I want music to be more than just a hobby, since I already tossed 11 years of formal music studies down the drain by switching degrees like a retard I was.

I realized that I didn't nurture any other skills that much so for everything else, I'd have to start from the bottom and probably never be anywhere near the top of my field. I don't want to be good enough for a paycheck. It's a bit bloggy, sorry.

Reminder to finish your projects, regardless of how shit they are.

You can do it anons. Stop living in 16 bar loop land

Ableton live (*als) files are gzipped xml files - use 7zip or something similar to extract the als file and then open the resulting file in Notepad (it will have no file extension - just a file name).

You should see everything that was saved with the file in a readable (of sorts) format.

Can I make music without one? I do not have an electronic keyboard

Course you can. Hand draw the notes. Ableton uses the A-L keys for white notes and W-I for black notes in a pinch. Not sure on other DAWs

Sweet thanks

You can play on a keyboard, the typing one.

you can make music with a spoon and a smartphone if you want to so no you dont need a midi keyboard. however it makes a lot of things much faster and simpler.

in cubase its qwertyui for the white keys and 23567 for the black keys

In FL studio 1-\ and a-' are black notes, q-¨ and z-- are white notes

Heard this a thousand times but I still drop everything because it is never good enough. Or at least I think so...

E.g.

clyp.it/wlfu0cva
clyp.it/01cntn0y

and
Those are from the past 2 days. Preparing for a fresh new project again...

Did you make that with an SP?

How long do you spend on your loops?

Do you have your usual instruments and effects chains set up and ready to go or do you spend half the time dragging those in?

Do you start with one part and get it perfect before moving on?

>people actually make 16 bar loops
You should find a different hobby if you do this ;))

projecting

What does living in 16 bar loop land even mean? And why is that even a concern?

rec me a decent midi controller for under $200 (preferably closer to $100)

I want one with one or more midi out to control hardware, knobs/faders (whichever's better I just wanna be able to control settings easily) and that's at least 49 keys

>no you
Nice reply, now try to make a 32 bar loop and you might get a full song in few years.

64 bar loops for maximum variation

Just creating 4/8/16/32 bar loops and never arranging them into a complete track

If you don't finish tracks then you won't learn the skills that you'll need after creating those loops. Then you get narked with production and give up

coming from experience? is anyone here tired of producing because they dont know how to finish?

Damn trips confirm

what if you make different loops and arrange then loop those loops to make bigger loops and arrange those into a track?

No, that's not it.

No experience of it personally. I've seen it mentioned in numerous sources though.

sounds like he's pretty close to that point

You've learned the secret of producing. I'm not saying don't make loops. I'm saying don't JUST make loops

Should I continue with this?

clyp.it/kd4vqnl3

makes you think

Infectious listening. I am transported back to my student days

im inspired

who cries like this

youtube.com/watch?v=WqSTXuJeTks

What are some good direct drive turntables for mixing and sampling that's similar to Technics 1200s?

youtube.com/watch?v=WPVhpJWTM_4

clyp.it/2q1ulp41
what you think

that's actually kinda fukt m8

Maybe expand on the riff a little bit. It gets going for a few notes but fizzles out before the next run of the loop.

Also dial back the vinyl crackle a bit. Pretty distracting. Although take that with a pinch of salt because I just hate that shit

Sorry, user. I'll try to do better next time.

Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

there is no dialing it back, that record is fucked. i see what you're saying, ill try to change it up a bit, maybe add some bass guitar.

All of these took less than 2 hours but the main idea is there. Ofc, this is not a long time, but I'm always dissatisfied and then I go to work on something else.

I mean, not all of them are really just loops, for one of these (cheesy guitar one) I think that I basically had all the main parts completed and they just repeat a few times anyway as that is a form.

Few days ago I made myself a template and it helps a lot so I start working right away.

I'm not doing much of a mixing and effects, I'm just composing and arranging a basic idea then thinking if it is worth developing - here, I spent more time (like 10 hours in total) producing these clyps, I've posted them before. but ultimately, I dropped them all. I don't know what to do with them, I always think I'm spending my time on something bad.

clyp.it/kt1hjf0i
clyp.it/o5hb4yj0
clyp.it/jmnb2c2u

And this one is probably the longest one I made and it took me the most time (13 hours) in a whole fucking year:

clyp.it/3tnkccp2

... Boy, do I have them a lot. And I kind like these actually but idk on which one to focus, if any.

Yeah all beats are resample or bounced back and forth between the sp and a tascam dp008

quick look at sweetwater w ur requirements finds nothing under $200, closest is the alesis vi49 at $229. course you could always get something used. i like the korg taktile and akai mpk in that case.

Did you do all the chopping in the box?
Or did you chop on the computer and out it on a SD card?

Numark Mixtrack
Numark TT250 or TTX

All chops in the box, some of it is my friend playing simple melodies/chords in operator on ableton, those were bounced to the sp for effects and then chopped up like samples.

How do I get some standards in sound design? What music should I listen? My bar is super low and I can't differentiate between a good and a bad synth and drum sounds

I've always loved dilla/the avalanches-type stuff. Grabbed myself a pair of tables over the summer and I've been constantly crate digging and building up a library of samples I like. I've produced music for a long while but never with only samples. Just cooked this one up last night - 100% sampled. Not too sure on the mixing side of things, maybe the drums could be more in the mix. Also not sure about the last third-ish of the track, don't know if I love it. Would love some feedback on this one. Trying to make an album/EP of tracks like this hopefully, I have a ton of samples to play with.

clyp.it/ayswnjki

Well done. Chopping in the SP is time consuming as fuck unless your really good at catching loops in the right spot using mark. I just picked up a 555.

Maybe a bit more drums, but the mix sounds good in my headset. I quite like the track, made me nod my head a little. Some parts feel a bit overly chopped to me, but that might just be the genre which is one Im not normally particularly into

little snippet of a generative glitch thing I made today.

clyp.it/c10dryol

used some glitchmachine vsts running on some very low lfo to give the ambience a bit of an evolving feel, used a modular vst to tweak things in real time. the full version is on my soundcloud but I think this is the more interesting part of the track.

Been researching sample sequencers, looking for opinions from you on the esx
Seems pretty solid for the price it can be secondhand.

this is pretty great
I couldn't tell you how to do the mixing on the hardware; I'd just recommend moving it to a computer to mix it in a daw or something

I suddenly stopped making electronic music and started just recording and looping purely guitar tracks a few months ago. I have tons of these, really unpolished, some tracks out of tune.
Do you think, provided I could clean it up, something like this could be made into some actual tracks and maybe a kind of ambient/semi melodic EP or something?

clyp.it/s2ges2u2

depends on what genre you want to produce

Who here likes to eat Chinese food while they produce

I would love to, but I cant afford it.

>clyp.it/s2ges2u2
this is wonderful. if the tons of loops you have are like this, you could definitely turn em into actual tracks. I'd offer to do some drum sequencing with you but I'm terrible at that lol.

Inside of a daw would I just put the songs on seperate tracks and then compress/limit them and just try to match their volumes by ear?

aw shit it's choof-choof! longtime nosee

I'd go for a used boss gt series I've got a gt6 and love the thing

Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of Cred Forums are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!

helo user

it's a thread with a defined topic, a tripcode is good for conversations in these kinds of threads

i know you're doing the funny copypasta meme though

nig

Cool, thanks. I think I might not even want drums or anything other than guitar, I dont know. Would be cool if I could just play on a loop pedal away from the computer

Do you guys mix and master your own tracks?

Thanks for the tip, looks proper bulky but I dont mind used gear.
When you chain effects internally, can you also put some things in parallel? You can't do that on the zooms and it kinda put me off.

no I just put them online without doing that

You're not sposta. Work that's you're too close to is very hard to effectively mix or master. In fact, you shouldn't even write, edit, or perform your own music. You shouldn't even hear it until it's released.

t. Justin Bieber and Hans Zimmer

Sure, as long as you don't keep tryin to make Genre X Y Z or sound like some other asshole.

>tfw when inspiration finally hit me and I'm making progress but tired as fuck, 1 am.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

document your ideas and hit the sack

output.com/

Are these meme VSTs or actually good?

>document your ideas
not that guy but how does one do that in the audio world? its not like i can write down how I would modulate that synth or something. the time it'd take to do that is about as much as the time it would take to actually create it.

sure you can, you just write down queues to get to the memory of what you thought of the night before. you could also hum it to your phone or whatever.
Either way, inspiration, when working with music, is usually about melody or words, and not just a particular way you thought you would fiddle with the synths, which is usually what I would do last.

download them and find out, that exhale one looked interesting twobeeaych

how do i make music that sounds good

f your music was used in a tv show and then months later someone from the broadcasting company emails you saying that their records show that you havent received payment for your liscence fee of 200 dollars and they want you to fill out a w9 and give them an "invoice" what would you do? i dont even know how youd do an invoice? and if i fillnout that w9 irs form do i have to pay more taxes on it or file it for taxes somehow? also if i just ignore the email could i get sued or something?

How do I compose cool jazzy progressions like in the song in a h3h3 outro? That shit is hard to improvise without some good theory backing it up, at least in my case.

The non-whispered "evil" sounds out of sync. Does the sample have a bit of silence in front of it?

Also, I think the vocals are too loud and they don't sit in the mix well. Maybe add some reverb on them.

And I think it would be a cool idea to have the "EVIILLLLLL!!!" with a big delay + reverb on it.

>output.com/
Signal is great for cinematic work. Ive found less uses for exhale- but this company puts a lot of work into their kontakt GUI design and scripting, and it shows.

This is what you want: youtube.com/watch?v=vylUOHKp-zI

Is it bad that when I play piano I don't even read notes and just play whatever sounds cool?

nah, its ok. But what can help you get used to it is opening the score editor in your daw (assuming your daw has this feature), and transcribing some stuff into it. From sheet music, or something like that. This will help you get familiar with notation.

I transcribe stuff into my daw from sheet music, so i can tune my orchestral template for more realism, and its helped me understand musical notation. Just the act of reading it, having to put in the right notes, making mistakes, learning about how different instruments are transcribed, helped a lot.

Here is one I did the other day, to tune my orchestral template, trying to transcribe the beginning of Dies Irae from Verdi's requiem.

clyp.it/toxuv4z2

It helped reveal some shortcomings in how I had instruments mixed.

Man I never really did this before, but that melody really got stuck in my head, so I laid some shit on top of it

clyp.it/vfrzid4m

Have fun my friend embrace the tedious as fuck workflow. Atleast the 555 has some ease of life improvements over the 404sx

youtube.com/watch?v=Pm7oIDIsy7g
learned a lot from this desu, let's see who's the best everybody else in here

I actually wasted 10 minutes watching that video

watching him is like watching an actual retard make beats

Top producers that you guys like ?

tsuruda

no more needed

you will never be successful

hire a ghost producer

How to finish any song:

Learn theory behind scales, tonality, triad construction, three part harmony and motive development
LEARN MOTIVE DEVELOPMENT
M O T I V E DEVELOPMENT

Practice piano playing

If you do these things, you will be able to take any 1 bar loop and turn it into fleshed out songs.

Is reading music really necessary?

How do I rap in my noisy shoegaze dark ambient style music without it being called Experimental Hip-Hop?

Post clyp

This is just a hypothetical tho

clyp.it/t5riglom

how is this sounding

Better yet, how do I do this without people comparing me to Death Grips?

banal

I ended up getting komplete ultimate a few month later as I was so impressed with the komplete select bundle that came with Maschine. Komplete ultimate was also in a sale and with the cross grade discount that ended up being really cheap too. I think I got both the Maschine studio and komplete ultimate for the retail price of the studio.
How do you get on with the S61?