Which American cities have the best music scene?

Which American cities have the best music scene?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qdPaNJ35CZo
youtube.com/watch?v=vxCAjEbQjiY
youtube.com/watch?v=hu1IOuPxZu4
youtube.com/watch?v=-7pMk4MiGj4
youtube.com/watch?v=RBvLHdelTa4
youtube.com/watch?v=7b_G5d2qsZA
youtube.com/watch?v=HWtHwRMxsfk
direct-hit.weebly.com/discography.html
thesynaptic.com/.../preview-buzzoven-cough-four-days-to-burn-vorvadoss-–-tree...
youtube.com/watch?v=q2udYETMsMA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

there's no such thing as a music scene

...for what genre lol

There's also no such thing as no-thing, if you think about it

Shit, sorry. Bye guys!

Street Sects isn't ranked yet except that its not #1
1. cross record - wabi sabi
youtube.com/watch?v=qdPaNJ35CZo
2. carrie rodriguez - lola
youtube.com/watch?v=vxCAjEbQjiY
3. shearwater - jet plane and oxbow
youtube.com/watch?v=hu1IOuPxZu4
4. randy rogers - neon
youtube.com/watch?v=-7pMk4MiGj4
5. taylor and the wild now - tides
youtube.com/watch?v=RBvLHdelTa4
6. widower - unholy oath/safehouse
youtube.com/watch?v=7b_G5d2qsZA
7. jad and david fair - shake cackle squall
youtube.com/watch?v=HWtHwRMxsfk

Doesn't matter, just looking for opinions.

last year I gave it to Philly

Eastern Canada seems really strong this year so maybe one of those cities.

Madison is promising

Historically Nola, NYC and Detroit. Couldn't tell you the current status though.

I'd probably say Detroit and NYC too...at least the most consistent...there was also the Seattle scene if you're in to that. Dallas, if you're into shit music.

>Dallas, if you're into shit music.
reverend horton heat
edie brickell and the new bohemians
toadies if you change it to dfw

they're not perfect but all of those have made fantastic albums

also bedhead

st vincent

Eau Claire, Wisconsin

Phoenix/Tempe AZ is surprisingly pretty great. Draa, Destruction Unit, Injury Reserve, Sun Hex, Pro Teens, and RNA are some of my favorites from the area

Kingston Ontario

Not anymore at least, be with the internet everyone that's a "music fan" is accustomed to memes being the gold standard of what it means to be into music.

Sacramento, Ca
Death Grips
Cake
Blackalicious
The Secretions

The list goes on

Deftones
Groovy Ghoulies
The Cramps
Middle Class Rut(I know)
Sister Crayon
!!! (Chick Chick Chick)

Anchorage

I live in Miami. Ive heard more than a few times it sucks down here. Id like to change that but i dunno how

New York. There is no other viable answer.

>all the best jazz ever made
>classical composers ranging from Moondog to Steve Reich to Julius Eastman
>The popular music scene based on bands like The Velvet Underground to the punk scene to the 80s stuff to hip hop to house to metal, etc.

There's no way New York didn't just practically own the entire 20th century when it came to music.

Fellow Wisco person here?

Yeah I'm in EC

Nice. I'm in Madison. Who are you liking from around here?

EYYYY
oshy guy here

gang gang gang

Madtown up in here

I'm from all over really. But from the most part, Madison. whatcha all into? I'm into experimental psych music as well as tape manipulation and lo-fi fuzz pop/dream pop

my dad's band was on the same label as Bedhead way back when. I just found this out after I got really into their music.

what band?

EC guy here. I usually pay more attention to the music scene up in the Cities since it's closer but I like Fire Retarded and I'm pretty sure they're from Madison

i live in seattle, active and vibrant but not much really innovative or exciting

They were called Headswim. Direct Hit Records was the label.

here's the Discog of the label in case you're interested.

forgot the link
direct-hit.weebly.com/discography.html

Far
Deafheaven

Also before Bedhead and that Dallas/FTW slowcore scene took off, a couple members of Bedhead were in a truly awesome post-punk band called End Over End. Managed to get one of their records from a CD Warehouse in Arlington.

Is it just a sea of grunge and Nirvana impersonators?

Move to civilization

that name sounds kinda familiar. I think I've seen them but I dont have any specific memory.

How old are you? They were together over 20 something years ago.

I'm trying to find video but there's some other band called Headswim from England thats fucking everything up.

Yep I've ran into that same problem trying to find something from them. My father says there's no recordings (video or audio) that he is aware of. Doesn't help that the OTHER Headswim has the same name and was popular around the same time. If you happen to find anything, let me know. I'd be delighted. The only audio I have is from a Dallas/FTW area local band compilation album that only has one of their songs on it.

Preview: Buzzov*en, Cough, Four Days To Burn, Vorvadoss – Trees ...
thesynaptic.com/.../preview-buzzoven-cough-four-days-to-burn-vorvadoss-–-tree...
Feb 9, 2011 - ... Cough, Four Days To Burn, Vorvadoss – Trees, Dallas TX 02/09/11 ... Headswim had opened and we were sitting in the Crows Nest balcony ..

I think your dad opened for Buzzoven. Thats cool as shit.

youtube.com/watch?v=q2udYETMsMA

>If you happen to find anything, let me know. I'd be delighted
I'll ask my friends. At the least maybe they'll have some funny anecdotes.

lol no, it exists but it's mostly more like talented but derivative and bland indie type of stuff, some good punk bands too, but again, they're not really pushing anything forward for the most part

There's a lot of non-descriptive old youtube videos from that era that have ambiguous titles and are just videos of entire local band shows. I'd imagine there's one floating around with some footage, but the search goes on!

have you heard of Mercy Ties

Seattle

I'm from the Fox Valley, WI

There is absolutely nothing here
I know of maybe a couple of bands. All of which I am friends with

Horace Greene

Aurali

Disaterland

Greenscreen Kid

Metadiscorse

some shit band called Life in a Tree

FIve Star Secret

Joe Policastro trio

Belle weather (favorite)

Dr kickbutts orchestra of death!

Jay mattes and Christopher gold

Lil rev

Kid Wisco (fucken gross)

and thats all that really come to mind

yeah, they're really cool, they stand way out
i've lived in the seattle area whole life, so maybe it's actually amazing relatively speaking and i'm just musically spoiled by it, idunno

Austin Texas is the self proclaimed live music capital of the world

Pic related, he was semi-famous around town as "Thong Man" until his death a few years back.

>semi-famous
>until his death a few years back.
Are you sure you aren't confusing him with Leslie Cochran?

This guy jogged by me a year or tow ago while I was waiting for Waterloo Records to open and I was mortified.

The last decent scene that happened in Austin was way back when The Jesus Lizard was still based there. Now it's just pretentious, spoonfed yuppies that think going to SXSW every year is honorable or some shit like that. Any ways, it sucks there (musically).

/thread

see
Street Sects is the closest thing to Jesus Lizard especially that era since they had a drum machine. As I recall only the first 7" was recorded here. David Yow actually just played here a few weeks ago fronting The Jazzus Lizard

I guess i was wrong! good to know he is still flippin his flap-doodle every which way.

As an Austinite, i can say you are 100% wrong. you just aren't looking hard enough for the non-hyped up tourist shit.