youtube.com/watch?v=o6TUaHYhRjQ
youtube.com/watch?v=MgshhTHxSNc
youtube.com/watch?v=SThRvg6cdQI
youtube.com/watch?v=1Oq5BS8E5D0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I like metal

youtube.com/watch?v=iX_9icmMD-0

Why not?

I like Money Store, but find the rest of their albums unlistenable.

On GP is their best track though.

when i first heard them they were super exciting and new to me, and to this day they are some of my most energetic music i like. they are very original and fresh

Bottomless Pit is quite literally TMS 2.0 even though it wasn't personally what I wasnted

i dunno, burden of proof or some shit?

i dig quite a few of their tracks but don't truly understand why they're as lauded as they are. also honest that I am probably not all that bright.

genuinely asking for people to share what it is about them that they appreciate, from an artistic or creative viewpoint

They are trendy and it makes me feel like I am obscure and part of a secret club. When the next trendy band comes out I'll quickly jump to them.

kek

It translates what some people enjoy about metal into hip hop. It has a very raw energy to it that you usually don't get in such a lyric heavy genre.

Thanks for all the replies folks

I don't know if I'm really buying any of the answers. That is, there's definitely a lot of folks who like them cos they're cool. And the displacement of qualities and aesthetics from one genre in a pioneering way assuredly accounts for some of their fan base.

But I'm curious about those that look at death grips, with sincerity, as legitimately artistically important. Why?

Not trying to disparage folks or do low-level trolling, this is what I'd actually really like to find out

its punk influenced hip hop. always felt like hip hop rappers never really expressed their life "hard" enough well lack of intensity. ride brings that along with zach/andy production

notm,exmil and nldw being their best stuff.

Because they make good music you fucking idiot.

What makes it good?

I think they're an unique band. That's it. I'm not religiously into them though.

Ride's intense delivery combined with the heavy industrial feel music, it all works. Please stop posting, we get it, you don't like Death Grips. You've had several legitimate reasons in this thread that you have dismissed because you want a le epic troll thread.

I guess I'm just looking for a deeper discussion of what it is about their music that is so good to so many people. There are people who worship this band outside of some sort of poser-ironic sense, and see them and their music as genuine art.

I am a buffoon and, as a prior muckraker pointed out, a moron, and would like someone who gives a genuine shit about this band to hold my hand and lead me through whatever the fuck their worldview is

Really not trying to be dismissive. Just not satisfied with the answers in regards to the intensity of the passion I've seen fans have for them.

Guess I'm waiting for someone to come along and tell me why this is or isn't capital a Art, I can chill out for now.

I actually really enjoy what I've heard and the more I listen the more they grow on me, but I'm open to admitting that I'm probably missing something deeper

I got into them before I came to Cred Forums and before I even knew who they were, I just heard Beware and liked it and listened to their stuff. It's good music first of all. The production is interesting, especially in their early days their manipulation of samples is worth looking into, especially on The Money Store. Zach Hill's drumming is great as usual and Ride's barking vocals harmonise perfectly with that.
What I find most interesting about them however, and that is why I also believe that they are one of the most interesting musical projects today is not just their music but their forward thinking artistry, especially their way of using the internet to engage with their following.
They have a very unforgiving but at the same time somehow very rewarding way of interacting with and surprising their fans, like when they announced their fake disbandment and only after months of speculation a twitter account was confirmed official by a pic of them having fun at disney world. Or the random release of Fashion Week that involved the jenny death when meme, proving their self-awareness and also acknowledging their fans. The amount of information their fans get is obviously very limited with only a couple of interviews out there and the stuff they post on their social networks is fucking baffling to say the least. Like that remake of the bottomless pit cover they posted recently on their twitter with ass cheeks instead of balloons.
Anyways there is probably no band out there today as self-aware as Death Grips, they know what people see them as and they play around with that using everything the internet has to offer.
there was some other stuff i wanted to write but i can't remember what, basically death grips ia fun and am looking forward to see them in a few weeks, anyone going to their shows in glasgow or ams?

tl;dr GP and notm are their best albums

Trust your own judgement.

i really like their sounds and they just have emotion in their lyrics, i don't understand all of them but i feel my interpretation of the meaning of the lyrics is what makes me like the music so much more

i also just really really like their sound

like some songs are just sex

i also really like kanye and would love to see a colab and it would be interesting

>there was some other stuff i wanted to write but i can't remember what
oh yeah, now I do, Ride's lyricism on their first three albums and notm, especially on nldw, is amazing. Gives me a hard on as an english student desu

I like their punk attitude and their metal and industrial influences on their music.
The lyrics are also quite catchy and have lots of energy so it's great for listening at the gym.
>why are they so lauded
They're catchy, they make people hyped, lots of teenagers are just getting into them now, the list could go on...
I honestly don't think that big of them.

>i dunno, burden of proof or some shit?
seriously nikka?

>ass cheeks
it's a leg you dip

you probably wanted to mention how they released so many GOOD projects in such little time (like, what was it, 6-7 in 5 years? how often does that happen..)

They wear their influences on their sleeves, but somehow still manage to craft largely original music. I hear Beastie Boys and Black Flag influences across Exmilitary and Jenny Death, but they sound virtually nothing like Beastie Boys or Black Flag.

e.g. listen to Pss Pss and tell me Ride's lyric composition isn't 100% like a Beastie Boys song even though it sounds virtually nothing like one

inb4 Dalek and BLACKIE meme by people who've only listened to No Love

um
no that songs comp is nothing like Beastie boys. have you even listened to them?

also all three members are talented on an equal level. they all share the same vision and know how to hone their abilities to create pretty uniform shit.

I said *lyrical composition. Inflections, emphasis, rhythm.

Have you listened to them?

youtube.com/watch?v=yr1Qe2m8oOA

yes that's true, their output is consistent as fuck.

I like them for the energy. Blasting
I really like TMS and NLDW the rest are not that great but still pretty cool and powerful. Wow listening death grips broke my neck and my back

they pump me up and make my dick hard

i half-agree with you op. i tried getting into the band but i just can't like it can't even listen to them, but i found some mashups witch are fucking god-tier, if they would make something like this i would love them.
just listen to this masterpiece
youtube.com/watch?v=o6TUaHYhRjQ

and this too
youtube.com/watch?v=MgshhTHxSNc

I like all their influences. I like aggressive loud hip hop, I like punk, I like industrial, I like their experimentation.

MC Ride's delivery has that punk levels of aggression that I'm a really big fan of. I also like their darker, pounding, energetic beats like on NLDW.

That good enough for you op?

>unlistenable

lol okay then

The Hotline Miami one is lovely. Love that Death Grips release the stems for their albums for free. If only because it made this masterpiece possible:
youtube.com/watch?v=SThRvg6cdQI

okay seriously is death grips a meme

I just tried to listen to them for the first time, I listen to five of their songs and they are honestly one of the worst bands I have ever heard

somebody explain this shit to me

no

fuck off mate

They're fucking godlike. The most experimental band of the 21st century, bar none. You NEVER know what they're going to do next.

they came out of no where, gathered hype for a bit, took a blow from a mediocre p4k review, and slowly started to regain hype on here until TMS came out and then all the fantano kiddies hopped on the hype train and the rest is residual

As a multi-year Death Grips fan, and die hard post-hardcore / metalcore fan (The Word Alive, A Day To Remember, Suicide Silence, Rings of Saturn, etc.) I can't help but headbang to this shit. Thanks.

Isn't it amazing that Fantano actually incluenced Death Grips in an indirect way?

Listen to Niggas on the moon in its entirety. It's their best work.

The first few times I tried listening to them I didn't like them, but then I heard this mashup
youtube.com/watch?v=1Oq5BS8E5D0

Afterwards I tried listening to them again and I slowly started appreciating them. Now they're probably one of my favorite bands.
Also when I didn't "get " an album I watched Fantano's reviews, that had a part as well.

uhh, the most experimetal band of all time is clearly radiohead, fucking duh

That's the normal first reaction. Listen to a whole album straight through and keep listening to it. Then listen to all the others.

Fantano

They are worth listening to if for this album alone.

Although its derivative of TMS it's clearly a backstep rather than improvement

They're certainly not as avant as other artists and being unique doesn't equate to quality however I think they cover a very gutteral aesthetic that would usually come across as angsty/edgy

Repeat listen and endure your initial distaste because it's not trying to be an attractive sound on the surface

It's a meme you fucks

pffbth

They're really exciting since they mash Punk with Hop Hop and they've got some solid conceptual value in their produce. They're pretty faultless as creators and have an appeal both to contrarians (who want to look intelligent by listening to what might be deemed 'weird' by their white, middle-class parents) and critics and everyone in between.

Essentially they're good.
The Money Store also got a good review from Fantano so everyone suddenly liked them.

MC RIDE probably sucks a mean dick

Harsh down to earth homeless man rapping over low budget electronica
Whats not to love about it

Because people are retarded.

Good music doesn't exist, user. Get your shit together.

that's not animal collective

Energetic beats & vocals
Basicaly nu-metal for people that don't like nu-metal.

and not very metal

this t b h

IDK they don't sound like much I've ever heard.