Monkey and bear.

Go Long.

Emily.

this tbqhwy familia

She looks like that one girl in school who:
- wore turtlenecks even when it was hot out
- had only one friend who was just as quiet and awkward as her
- used a plastic translucent pencil bag that opened/closed with a zipper
- read everywhere (before school, at lunch, waiting for the bus after school, and during school when the teacher left the room and let everybody do whatever)
- raised her hand and asked the teacher if there was any homework

That would be Good Intentions Paving Company.

the medolaaaark and the chim-cho-ree and the spaaaaaaaarow

Anecdotes

>medo

I want to lick her pink bra

I want to bury my face in her ass and never leave

This

i know those girls, wore the long jean skirts, never showed above the ankle. and even though they always had the nicest ass and biggest titties they never put out like the slutty bitchy prissy popular "hot" girls

Kingfisher

Emily
Only Skin
Go Long
Have One on Me

>the greatest living songwriter under 40 is also gorgeous

and they say god doesn't give with both hands

My man

literally who?

Only skin.

But I'm struggling to listen to JN at the moment because of emotional associations.

baby birch

oh and the live version of peach plum pear. studio version I can take or leave, but when I saw her live she did this version with the full band that blew me away

Fuck you I came here to post this

>god-tier artist with a perfect discography
>also fucking hot and a 10/10 ass
i'm glad this is allowed

Sawdust and Diamonds of course

>ctrl+f "sadie"
>0 of 0
baka

also, i like discussing joanna's music but i think it's important that we discuss her ass as well

>tfw everyone's wrong

youtube.com/watch?v=-YHQgSd9fzk

guys, it's kingfisher

This

disgusting

Only Skin and Have One On Me are my favs t b h

cosmia

AND ALL THOSE LONELY NIGHT DOWN BY THE RIVER
BROUGHT ME BREAD AND WATER

divers

i like how she stretched that two minute song out forever

worst ITT
the choruses are her worst set of lyrics imo, shame because the other lyrics are so descriptive and beautiful

AND THERE WAS A BOOOooooOOOming ABOOVE YOUUU

thaaat niiight

either this

or the first one on this

But I think her best song is Emily

aaaaaaaaaaaannnnnddd the meteEEOrittee iiiis the Soource of the liggghhttt

No song has made me feel like Emily. I love how it's all about her discovering and finding the beauty in science despite her not really understanding it like her sister does. desu the rest of Ys kind of disappointed me when I learned it's all fairy tale music.

dude everytime I listen to Emily it reminds me of Melancholia..

>rest of Ys kind of disappointed me when I learned it's all fairy tale music.

I liked Cosmia too and Only Skin. But Emily is still her best imo

Esme

>joanna newsom will never sit on your face

sometimes I think about how andy samberg gets to fuck her and I get a little frustrated with the world

Only Skin

Same

how do i become that rock

and he doesn't even have 1 good movie or show

WE SPEAK IN A STORE

He is handsome, tall, rich and funny. His movies are a bit goofy but is that enough to hate someone?

Emily is my favorite too. i always interpret it as a case for personal communication and investigation--i.e. there's all this beauty in the world and there's all this distant stuff we know about but the only way to truly appreciate is to be right there, with her father, with her sister, with the universe.

the fact that in her voice "meteor" and "media" are homophones just makes it better. "And the media's just what we see/how it's perceived" can't possibly be accidental.

brooklyn nine nine is awesome though

Not really, but if you add up the part that he bangs Joanna then you can hate him.

Only Skin, Sawdust and Diamonds, Anecdotes or In California t b h

Is there any other "captures-the-beauty-of-nature-and-science-core"?

dunno if it's her best but the instrumental ending to Does Not Suffice gives me chills every time

Bridges and Balloons
Swansea (she talks about ghost towns)
81'

b a d

t a s t e

only monkey & bear is "fairy tale music"

c'mon, the lyrics are laughably simple and predictable and it's not nearly as melodically complex or interesting nor does it have as good arrangements as Kingfisher, Only Skin, Emily, Go Long, Baby Birch, Time, as a Symptom, etc.

In California

as much as i love all of those songs, you do realize that both go long and baby have really stupidly simple melody and chord structure right?

I WASNT BORN FROM A WHISTLE OR MILKED FROM A THISTLE AT TWILIIIIIGHT

You mean Grimes.

>Grimes
>10/10 ass
I know her hip-waist ratio is fucking crazy, but no way man

Well well, someone's never known the magic that is Hot Rod.

i love sawdust and diamonds (one of my favorites from ys) but for some reason that particular lyric has always made me cringe. it's a bit too twee 4 me.

not her best but y'all need to listen to Goose Eggs again, I don't see it get enough love

youtube.com/watch?v=LXCR9-1u9jY

>tfw Joanna will never small penis humiliate you

youtube.com/watch?v=RgWdAQZL56E

What do you guys think her best live performance is?

I'm torn between these two:
youtube.com/watch?v=-Nb3117f8M4
youtube.com/watch?v=Ah00XF1Bwp0

That's her second best song.

Without a doubt. One of the best album closers ever. Just an immaculate track.

Those two are amazing, I've watched them too many times. These four are also incredibly good:

youtube.com/watch?v=0hT88vhFQYQ
youtube.com/watch?v=XrKnOn56lrw
youtube.com/watch?v=CprS7irIVCE
youtube.com/watch?v=egkLN2d-ngI

who got the gif of her ass when she's playing piano

I still canno tbelieve thi sbithc married that SNL jew. the fuck

i figured this was strictly a music thread or else i would have posted it earlier desu

it's been like 80/20 so it's relevant

there was a rumor that she did playboy and some dude had the photos but it was probably bullshit. there's still a glimmer of child-like hope in my body that it exists

i doubt that but anything is possible i guess
i just want her to show off her butt a little more really, its too delicious to be wasted

Bottletree version of Peach Plum Pear

>thread about a cancerous musician
>shitty Cred Forumscore that sounds like noise
>mostly just about her looks
>no discussion whatsoever about the music, just naming songs
This thread is certified cancer.

All of her songs are her best song though

Eh, if you can't already tell that Joanna is a legitimately incredible songwriter then you're beyond hope. She's pretty widely revered outside of places like this, if people were really just obsessed with her looks then that wouldn't happen.

I'll admit it's pretty frustrating that it's impossible to discuss her on here without someone bringing up her ass. Not to get all tumblrey, but it is a bit unnerving that despite all her talent a good chunk of people can't get past seeing her as a sex object.

Though to be fair it's a pretty great ass.

fuck it makes me mad that people dont take this seriously. this is your fucking hobby and this is a seminal artist that you really shouldn't reduce to crass humor. fucking makes em want to kill myself looking at this thread, does anyone care about being serious for once?

she is gorgeous and an amazing songwriter, so now i'm curious who the best living songwriter is? if we have similar taste this could be a great rec

why dont you start a discussion instead of whining

>cancerous musician
wrong
>shitty Cred Forumscore
wrong, it's great Cred Forumscore
>no discussion whatsoever about the music
Very true
>This thread is certified cancer
somehow even more true

Not him but it's obviously Cohen.

t. whiner that didn't start a discussion

my favorite song by her is Go Long. i feel like crying every time she breaks into the melody "who made you this way". it makes me actually empathize and feel as a woman would, and that's an amazing feeling that i don't think any other artist can give me. sometimes i sit in my room at night and imagine my life if i had dedicated everything to one hobby like the harp and if i had the power that she has over people. my second favorite song is emily, the movement when she says lines like "you crossed the border", "those mountains kneeling" etc is just amazing. i seriously cant think of any other moment in my life where i feel as good as i do when i hear her describe her relationship with her sister like in Emily. If you want my favorite live performance, check this out. it's pretty interesting how she holds the crowd's attention so easily. can you imagine being in the room, you see a girl in a dress next to a harp start shouting this poem?

youtube.com/watch?v=zTmiGRv0r4U

i already know i'll be mocked for this post but am feeling depressed so i want to put my feelings down. leaving the thread so i don't have to see how big of an autist i am when people reply with insults

Before she was unjewed. Pure Aryan beauty, now corrupted and married into money and made a shit album.

>i already know i'll be mocked for this post but am feeling depressed so i want to put my feelings down. leaving the thread so i don't have to see how big of an autist i am when people reply with insults

ironically, you were doing fine up until you added this
it's because of this little addendum that you look stupid

youtube.com/watch?v=0kM0VVUjRXc

Yeah I feel like with all the deep analysis of her lyrics often times no one mentions her great ass

> it makes me actually empathize and feel as a woman would

I definitely get that feeling from her music as well. Surprisingly she's one of the few female artists I've heard who will actually openly embrace her femininity. I don't know if other's are hesitant to do that out of some fear of appearing weak or just deliberately rejecting that classical view of women, but regardless of all that political stuff it's just really nice to hear an artist address that side of life, and be so openly empathetic with it.

Have One On Me
Sawdust and Diamonds
In California

tears every time

This is one of the best live videos I've ever seen
youtube.com/watch?v=QWFsBQcexkg

why does she sound like she's 12 years old with down syndrome?

I watch this video whenever I'm drunk for some reason, it's one of my favorite videos.

Also like this guy said , her live full band version of of PPP is so good, I have this one ripped youtube.com/watch?v=CprS7irIVCE

I love her voice in this one. I wish she still sang like she did in 2010.

She physically can't sing like she used to. She had vocal chord nodules that changed her voice permanently.

I would kill for a proper recording of this Peach Plum Pear version. The original is still very good though, and truthfully this kind of takes the charm out of it. But man it's beautiful.

She had vocal chord nodules in 2009, so the change had already happened before 2010.

This man knows. How is your taste so good? I'd add Baby Birch to the list

What's are your fav JNew lyrics lads?

GO LONG
O

L
O
N
G

Or possibly Sawdust and Diamonds.

in california

There's a pretty good quality bootleg of her 2011 Paris show that I uploaded to mega a while back with that version of Peach, Plum, Pear included. Here's a link in case someone wants it.

mega.nz/#!w0tljJwY!aB4gT4I_x3-PVEU08VFVBYwibpvuZ4YafNZZ16ILYjQ

>Though my wrists and my waist seemed so easy to break
>Still, my dear, I would have walked you to the very edge of the water
>And they will recognise all the lines of your face
>In the face of the daughter of the daughter of my daughter

I don't know why but I would've expected a show like that to be so expensive.

It pisses me off probably an autistic amount that she fucked up the definitons. The meteoroid is the "source of the light" and the meteorite is "the stone that's devoid of the fire that propelled it to thee." The meteor's fine though.

But that's the point, mate...

The themes of "Emily" deal largely with nostalgia and the failing/unreliability of memory + it highlights the difference between the two sisters. Emily is all about science and logic, while Joanna just wants to write poetry that is beautiful and that rhymes, even if it comes with the cost of being inaccurate.

Plus I forgot the mention that the whole inaccurate mnemonic device is consistent with this bit that happens later in the song:
>Pa pointed out to me, for the hundredth time tonight
>The way the ladle leads to a dirt-red bullet of light
This just reinforces that Joanna is clearly not adept at astronomy.

You're probably right, but I still don't like listening to shit that has inaccurate information. I feel like I will subconsciously imprint the new definition and fuck up my knowledge of space rocks.

anything on emily

"What they've seen is just a beam of your sun that banishes winter"

lol, I get what you mean. But for me it just makes the whole song more dynamic and gives it a bittersweet tone.

After much rumination, I conclude that it is En Gallop.

Never get so attached to a poem you forget truth that lacks lyricism, and never draw so close to the heat that you forget that you must eat.

The wake-up call is real.

this. so beautiful. and the delicacy with which she says it is just so serene and haunting. it just fuckin gets me man

She played down in england a while ago and tickets were like 125 quid, she's a pretty big name and i bringing all the instruments and that must cost loads so aye her shows are expensive as heck lad

me

Best from each album

>Clam, Crab, Cockle Cowrie
>Sawdust & Diamonds
>Have One On Me
>You Will Not Take My Heart Alive

I saw her in London last year for about £30.

Only Skin
Sawdust and Diamonds
Have One On Me
Does Not Suffice
Clam, Crab, Cockle Cowrie

Wholly agree that she is the greatest songwriter under 40 that we have. A genius.

i shagged your mum in london for free mate

Ah what a rapier wit we have in our midst.

i raped your mum in her midst mate

The "your Mum" jokes don't work quite so well when you say you're a sex offender.

your mums a sex offender mate, im only 14

You can tell.

Collab, yes or not?

Wow, either Joanna's shorter than I thought or Skeletor is taller than I thought.

>Skeletor
user, you're not nice to Grimes! And it's pretty ironic to call Grimes like that when Joanna is also thin.

grimes is like wearing platform boots

Joanna is also wearing some shoes with high heels...

jesus grimes looks like a fucking goblin next to her

grimes probably shouldn't stand next to anyone who isn't a man or whose parents aren't related

Gtfo! Grimes looks amazing, are you blind?

Joanna has, as has been mentioned many times in this thread, a delightfully plump ass. Also musical talent. Grimes has neither.

F P B P

>Grimes has neither.
Sooooo delusional.

I had a dream you came to me
Sayin', you shall not do me harm anymore
And with your knife you evicted my life
From its little lighthouse on the seashore

And I saw that my blood had no bounds
Spreading in a circle like an atom bomb
Soaking and felling everything in it's path
And welling in my heart like a birdbath

It is too short, the day we are born
We commence with our dying
Trying to serve with the heart of a child
Kingfisher lie with the lion

Then in my hot hand, she slumped her sick weight.
We tramped through the poison oak, heartbroke and inchoate.
The dogs were snapping, and you cuffed their collars
while I climbed the tree-house. Then how I hollered!

Thank you for this user

Deeper Understanding.

lol cuz shes like a clone of kate bush amirite XD

Exactly, I'm glad you got that.

>I really want you to do this for me,
will you have one on me?

within context, this always gets me

Soft as Chalk

Sawdust and Diamonds
Baby Birch
Does Not Suffice
Divers

I saw her in Austin recently and tickets were only $32.

Hey me too, I drove down from Dallas for it.

I drove from Houston for it