vocaroo.com/i/s1SCIQ38m2bs
youtube.com/watch?v=hKHSivHkYaI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for guitar players only

First would quite obviously be the OP.

Post your Jazz Basses.

>/GG/
ask me how i know your a fatass virgin op

how come when i play the most difficult classical shit i know on guitar, people tell me its boring and they want more "upbeat" stuff but then when i play mindless sweeping and stupid pentatonics with a righthand tap here and there they think its the most amazing thing ever???

Ah, fuck you I want it.

>Pink

Why?

Shell Pink is muh favorite color so.

Perfect for death metal.

>How long have you been playing?
A few weeks ago. First intrument. Procrastinating at this point. Can't get past how to tune
>Projects?
Learn basic bass riffs

im so fucking sick of playing metal and listening to fucking metal. I've been doing it for so long that I have no clue what to listen to let alone what to spend my time playing and writing.

i just needed to vent. for those of you who used to be metalheads, what genres did you get interested in after you got out of metal?

Punk, hardcore punk.

But I mean I was in middle school so.

Hendrix, Cream, Led Zepellin

any /mustang/ here?

he asked how to turn into a non-metalhead, not how to turn into a complete plebeian

Maybe that's because you haven't spent much time exploring the genre.
I have progressed into listening to many genres yet metal keeps surprising even if I stop listening after a time, I re-discover it once again

MIM Ash model with every part replaced with something better.

Only when I'm not Ted Nugent.

no you fuckin memer

tad harsh m8

i can't think of a subgenre of metal that I haven't tried to get into

Work on basic right hand technique and left hand technique if you're having trouble. And don't forget muting. You can do these exercises independently if it's too much, it'll become muscle memory in a few weeks and you'll be able to bring it all together.

it's an abomination, but i like it

>Can't get past how to tune
Are you using your ear?

Havent dont this in a while

10 years now. Started in 11th grade
>Fav guitars?
My Takamine Santa Fe, though it doesnt get much attention these days.
>Fav guitarists?
Been listening to a lot of Mick Karn lately.
>Projects?
Trying to get a synthpop project started. Just bought an electribe and figured how to sequence external synths
>Talk about and play music
You can't make me
>General guitar and bass discussion
[shitposts loudly]

my Carvin > all your jazz basses

rate my sg modification /gg/

I wonder if this helps the neck-dive issue or just makes it impossible to relocate the strap button to the horn.

Sampling a subgenre is not the same as exploring the work done by bands. Metal is a genre that is very open to innovation and fusion, always looking at the extreme of things

Also,
ambient/drone metal
drone doom
shoegaze/black
psybient metal
technical thrash
atmospheric death
post-rock/sludge

>Are you using your ear?
I bought an electronic tuner thingy, still havent figure out how to read it
I'm doing it all at home on the internet, I find it hard to be certain that the notes are right

>Sunburst>Olympic White>Black (with a tortoiseshell pick-guard)

It's a fact.

I essentially ordered this bass but as a P bass + MM Humbucker, with matching headstock, 35'' scale, active 3 Band EQ and hipshot bridge and tuners. Should only take a few months.

>sg
>neck-dive
surely you jest

where's the original image of this

That's boring user what are you a Fender rep?

Bunch of acoustic stuff, really fun to play. John Mayer, City and colour. Steve Howe.

Bunch of classical music. There's a reason why people say classical music is better than other types of music. Because in every aspect, it actually is.

And a bunch of jazz. Django. Thelonius monk. John Coltrane. Great for transcribing and aural skills.

Reminder that be it bass or guitar, Cred Forums /gg/ is best /gg/

Just an aesthetically aware individual.

You'll get it. When you tune start from the bottom string going from G>D>A>E, then go through it again after you've tuned the E. Remember that the 5th fret will be the same note as the string below it, so the 5th fret on E should be a A in the same octave as the open A string.

I didn't "grow out of metal" (and I think it is stupid to say so), but playing guitar opened my mind to new genres like old prog rock, classical, flamenco, shoegaze, some more noise-ish stuff, jazz fusion, math rock
the key is to not disregard a whole genre because you don't like one artist, just like with metal.

i actually havent heard atmospheric death. that sounds interesting. i'll check it out later tonight.

listening to "simpler" genres of music like pop with my friends and girlfriend have made me appreciate the emotional honesty that come with expressing through simpler catchy beats and melodies. now I sometimes feel like many, not all, metal musicians are playing stuff just to play it.

this

lol, and here I felt like I ghetto rigged mine putting the button on the tip of the horn.

Solved the problem, though.

It should show the note somewhere on the screen, you tune it EADG (thickest to thinnest string). Usually you have LEDs on the side or something that indicates whether the note is too high or too low.

Mandatory classic

this is a good one. I thought it was usually labelled as doom metal though?

these guys look like they are about to start sucking each others cock every time they noodle a bit

noodle to show pedal
look lovingly into each others eyes for affirmation
proceed to blow each other

it's death-doom

they gotta kiss first

People are easily impressed by stupid shit their heroes did.
I've played classical for the better part of a decade, people are more appreciative if you're doing wedding ceremonies or teaching(something I wouldn't trust a rock guitarist to do)
The current wedding setlist I keep is:
Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring(Rick Foster's arrangement)
The Girl with the Flaxen Hair(Jack Marshall's arrangement)
Air on G String(Angel Romero's Arrangement)
Prelude From Cello Suite No. 1(my own arr. I'll post a clip later today)
Catalonian Song (Jack Marshall)
Torija (Federico Torroba)
Sleeper's Awake(arr. Jack Marshall/Parkening)
Julia Florida (Agustin Barrios)
Gymnopedie No. 1(arranged by Jack Marshall)
Along with a revolving door of other songs that people request.
Most of these songs are ridiculously tough, but most people wouldn't know it because the execution is nearly flawless.

Classical is absolutely the most difficult, but as classical music goes, it's hard for the layman to appreciate it unless it's impacting his life.

>oh shit i'm sorry

because when most people watch you play, they are paying attention to how it looks as opposed to how it sounds.

when my band mates or people i jam with show me things they've come up with, I like to make sure I can't see their hands so I know i'm only judging it based on how it sounds

Dude you are a one man wedding band, dial down the smugness

I think it has to do with how flashy it is. Shred and metal are really in your face, while classical can be a lot more subtle.
Also which songs would you classicalfags recommend to a metal playing wankster ? I don't want to deal with playing boring, super easy tracks.

kek shut up you fucking butthurt bedroom rocker

They just get really impressed by speed.
Try playing them a fast classical guitar piece, like an etude for the right hand. It will blow their minds, even if you bork the tempo, dynamics and textures horribly.

havent done one so why not

15 years. started out in guitar class in 6th grade, hated it because our concerts always felt lame compared to band/orchestra. bullshitted my way into intermediate orchestra and played bass ever since.

>Fav guitars?

love my warwicks to death.
currently having a custom build done from a mom and pop type operation, hopefully done in the next month or so.

>Fav guitarists?
too many to name really
zander zon has really had my attention lately

>Projects?
currently doing this death metal thing.

>Talk about and play music
if ya want, man

what kinda 'wicks you got?
my dream bass is a german fretless thumb 5

my dude! i want one too.

bubinga corvette standard and a streamer $$

very nice. i wish more manufacturers made instruments with adjustable nuts like Warwick does

What's the deal/fascination with Warwick basses? Genuinely curious, I tried several but none of them seemed exceptional to me and they're heavy as fuck. The just-a-nut III thing seems really cool, I'll give them that, but I didn't particaluraly care for the bridge.
How are the "cheap" models? Rockbass I think they're called, worth it or typical east Asia stuff? Living in Austria there are also plenty of older models (which were still made in Germany), so that's kinda interesting as well.

Funk. Yes seriously. Try something completely different from your experience.

Best guitar channel on YouTube tho

Warwicks are pretty good. I myself despise them cause of their weight and their baseball bat necks but if I was looking for gr8 quality basses for studio and recording I'd definitely go with one.

Cheapo ones are mad gay get a real German Warwick.

Trying to decide on a good overdrive pedal to get.
I'm really considering either the Suhr Shiba or the Ibanez Tube Screamer. Which one is better or what's another one I should be considering?

at least for the German models, they're well designed and well made. that combined with the unique electronics makes them sound very nice. weight doesnt really matter to me

the cheap non-german ones are complete ass

>heavy
>thick neck
Then I'll just keep buying Sandbergs honestly, those aren't compromises I'm willing to make at that pricepoint.

maxon

>unique electronics
How exactly?
>the cheap non-german ones are complete ass
Okay, got it.

Agreed.

It's part of their design philosophies, they use super heavy exotic woods.

I don't know what's up with the fucking baseball bat though, it makes P-Bass necks feel like toothpicks.

big necks feel so much better

They could chamber them or do something about it, there are basses that use exotic woods that aren't that heavy.
And I guess that some people prefer thicker necks, but at that price point you should have the option IMO.

Not when you have small girl hands like I do.

Jazz Bass necks are perfect for me, the Geddy Lee signature neck is godlike.

Modern D shape is GOAT.

Never heard of Maxon because I can not into pedals. Which one should I be checking out?

I have an Orange CR120, which is a solid state amp.
Does it make a huge difference when choosing effects pedals if you have a solid state or a tube amp?

Only on fuzzes and overdrives.

i haven't gotten a chance to play their rock bass line but I'm sure they're alright. nothing special but gets the job done I'm sure.

my corvette really is heavy as fuck. i kind of like it though now that i've had it for so long.

they've both done pretty damn well and stood up to all the bullshit i put them through. i ended up setting one up with a 5 string set (using the low 4 strings) because i like a lot of tension when playing low tunings. the thing sounds like a monster.

Huh, my bass was actually that same color before I painted it Shell Pink, haha.

I like the necks on the dimension basses. They're tapered towards the upper frets.

I now finally know what "dead" strings means. Met a bassist who hadn't changed the strings on his beater bass for years, they were stainless steel round wounds and they sounded like fucking flats. And that on a stingray SUB bass with the 1 pickup, so dull and thumpy and warm (not in a good way).
Good to know honestly, I always change the strings on my bass after 2 months at most and I always thought that's what people perceive as "dead" strings.
And in defense of the guy, it's his beater bass and we were in a situation where it really didn't matter.

As a lefty I only had the choice between that red and black back then. I like the red though.

I didn't think that a bass could actually look like it had down syndrome.

Looks good, aside from there being something painfully awkward-looking about lefty gits.

I have a chance to buy one of these for $550, will it be worth it? Japanese made and I know a couple posters here owned one and said they sold it for around $900

That's not CME

If you like short scales and single coils go for it.

Mustangs are great and Japanese ones are always p. expensive, but you really should know if you like it or not before you buy it.

Probably more of a statement about the quality of those strings than the longevity and viability of old strings.

This dude played with the same strings for something like 20 years.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Osborn

negative.

if you're recording you want new strings. old beat to shit ones sound like hot boiled ass

I can already hear the horde of "but breaking in strings give them warmth !"

He's using flats, flats don't age the same way.
Except when you're not going for that tone, which is probably why he's playing flats.

I suppose that's why Osborn got so much work and was usually featured prominently in the mix :^)

Jesus fucking christ.

I keep my elixirs on for about a year at a time. Around the 7 month mark you have to wash your hands thoroughly to get rid of the metallic smell. By the time theyre a year old, they give off a smell from a foot away. Can't imagine what kind of mold is growing on those fucking things. His fingers all probably have gangrene.

>dat bass on Let the Sunshine In

>He's using flats, flats don't age the same way.
I imagine it's because they're somewhat "sealed" and offer less chances for corrosive oil and sweat to do their things.

Well-maintained rounds will last a good while, too. Nickel especially would resist corrosion better than stainless strings.

I played a Daphne Blue one at GC once and fell in love. I played it for two hours straight. I love the junky sound it makes when both are out of phase and that straightforward single cool tone when both in phase. I went back a week later to buy it for $600 but someone already took it.

Don't make the same mistake twice then, user, go for it.

Leave it to a country musician to produce one of the grooviest lines of the 60s

this

that's fair but that's one example. also depends on other factors. but for 99% of shit, you don't want old dead strings when you record.

This is cool. What model is it?

I imagine your location factors into it as well. I live in Florida and if I dont actively maintain my strings they'll rust away. I started using gun oil on them when I ran out of cleaner and I think I like it better.

Many flats use steel alloys that are very resistant (chrome steel alloys or something similar) not only to oxidation but also to dents and dings. Nickel rounds eventually get little marks, nicks and dents. Also flats obviously don't gunk up like rounds for obvious reasons.
As a general rule for rounds you're right but I'd still stretch them and break them in for a day honestly.

>reliced strings
This has given me an idea.

Was going to recommend . Arguably the most important Australian metal album.

One of my favourites is Weighing Souls With Sand.
profoundlorerecords.bandcamp.com/album/weighing-souls-with-sand

I wanna paint my old acoustic guitar. What color should I paint it? I was thinking white might look nice.

Selling your old strings for 2x the price?

Why limit yourself to one measly color?

youtube.com/watch?v=rmSV2l6JFt0

You'll potentially make it sound terrible, the added weight of the paint (depending on what you use and do) impacts the sound on an acoustic.

tfw i have 2+ year old strings on my Squier Bronco. i paid $40 for the set and i could sell it relic'd for $120 oy vey

100x. Tone strings.

Say if I was interested in learning a bit more about how guitars "work" (grade 8 classical but I struggle even changing my strings) would one of those cheap shitty kit guitars be worth looking in to? Not really to play but just to learn about how they work, and then for further learning i could upgrade it later on?

Fender is discontinuing the American Standard!

!!PANIC!!

Actually now is the time to buy one, the *smallest* discount I've seen is $200 off. Some places have $300+ off. Why don't I have money right now?!

>grade 8 classical

underage b&

Are we talking about an electric? Either way mechanically they're incredibly simple and the way an electric works requires basic knowledge of electronics or physics.

You mean electric or acoustic? Shitty electrics are good to play around with and oftenly can be salvageable, even if you have to replace the whole neck eventually.
Shitty acoustics aren't as customizable and will pretty much always sound shit.

I imagine building a kit would be a good lesson in all aspects of guitar maintenance and then some.

It's not particularly hard, the most difficult/time consuming part will be finishing the body if it's not pre-painted.

They'll never stop making standard Strats, probably just a new model coming out sooner than later

OD808

epic
Yeah sorry I meant electric. I have basic tools so soldering, sanding etc isn't a problem.
Is there much difference in the construction of guitars vs bass? Been toying with the idea of getting a bass so this would be a good excuse to buy one

>Is there much difference in the construction of guitars vs bass?
Bass is a bit bigger and there are virtually no models with a tremolo. That's about it.

>Is there much difference in the construction of guitars vs bass?
Not really, no. From a kit especially. They'll have the same basic components.

A substantial amount of work could be necessary to correct problems with the kit, depending on which one you get.

Well yeah, enough so they're stretched and holding tune properly. Couple couples worth of playing. Not a year.

I talked to you in the last thread, you mentioned Weiss. I have heard some of his music before but the only pieces of his I liked was that prelude you posted and a courante and a presto. They were nice and I enjoyed listening to them but other than that I wasn't really impressed. What do you think of these pieces by Dowland?

youtube.com/watch?v=J4YOoUoPKHk

youtube.com/watch?v=zpgbyLRLpa0
Many of his pieces are like this.

Well, to be fair I tried out SS strings once and they sounded better to me after a month or 2 of heavy playing simply because I'm not a fan of overly bright strings (as I now know). But the obvious solution to that is buying nickel strings so yeah.

Bit of a shameless self-plug

youtube.com/watch?v=uxoyHi8NMho

I worked really hard on learning Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now by The Smiths without use of tablature and would love a little bit of feedback.

>*couple hours

Yeah that depends on what you're looking for in terms of tone. I prefer nickel rounds as well, even for stuff where you want brightness like slap.

Ain't seeing it.

Where you getting this from?

Fucking lol'd. Kind of want, just wouldn't want to do it to the poor guitar myself. Good stuff

Your rythm is a bit of and you're rushing. You just sound a bit tense in general.
As far as the chords and such go it's good.

sounds pretty good man

cheers, I get really nervous when recording myself, don't know if anyone else suffers from it?

Some strings die more quickly or more noticeably than others. On bass, some strings don't die at all.

Literally everyone suffers from this.

we all do user, just breathe deep and focus on the music

Perfectly natural. Just picture us naked while you record.

It's pretty normal, I do it as well. It's just super transparent on The Smiths' songs, since most of Marrs riffs are so laid back.
The only thing I can think of to help is to just record yourself a crapload of times until it's just second nature.

Thinking of buying a Fender Mexican jazz standard for £650, should i do it lads?

Put the old thread in the fucking OP next time, newfags.

Old thread:

How much do they go for usually in pounds?

Mexican Fender Jazz basses usually go for real cheap in the used market mejt.

No need for the old thread, this is for bass players only.

well shit, i gotta drop a plug as well. if you're into metal, let me know what you think.

reverbnation.com/vaticanfalling

>being a bassfag

Bass has literally the same sound no matter what. It only exists to accompany decent sounding instruments.

Must be an import tax on them, that seems a bit steep.

even if this were true, its still overpriced for what it is.

I've shopped around a few local shops and it was all about £650, probably the RRP, I have yet to check ebay or amazon but if i'm going to go down the second hand route i'll probably buy an American or Japanese since i've heard they're better

Agreed.

I can't believe how much Chris Squire and James Jamerson sound alike fucking faggots.

feast your eyes on this mememachine, mr fisherman

youtube.com/watch?v=aY4Ra2KOyas

I notice some people use the terms "riff" and "lick" interchangeably and I think that's regrettable.

A riff is something you return to time and again as a structurally significant part of a song. It usually contains polyphonic parts.

A lick, while it can be repeated, is not structurally important to a song, it usually, but not always, is primarily monophonic, and is usually part of a series of licks that comprise a lead part.

That's the way I understand these terms.

MIA and MIJ will have better electronics and a better setup from the factory, but it doesnt justify the cost if you're looking to get better quality parts down the road and you know how to setup your instrument.

I don't like adding the word "head" on the end of anything to describe a person who likes that thing. I have always thought that sounds dumb.

I still enjoy metal but I listen to it a lot less than I used to. You don't have to give up one genre to start enjoying another.

Is there a noticeable difference between mexican and MIJ? I've tried the mexican in multiple stores and it sounds really nice (compared to my current £200 Ibanez and £250 artisan acoustic anyway)... Is it worth the extra £200 for the Japanese?

Sounds like shit. Bass isn't supposed to be played not accompanying other instruments.

EXPLAIN THIS WIZARDRY WITH THE MOVING TUNERS NOW!

>better electronics
I suppose you mean pickups? What's in a passive electric guitar or bass in terms of electronics barely deserves to be called by that name.

Okay

youtube.com/watch?v=xx1RccwlF5g

Got a kick out of the comments on this one. Apparently it's inspired by the muslim call to prayer, and angry muzzies were threatening the uploader and he had to delete their comments.

Hipshot D-tuner

That's rather close minded of you. 70 years ago some people would have said guitars were only meant to be played acoustically, yet look where we are

Confirmed bassfags don't know how to tune.

>obviously trolling and doing a bad job at it

that shit is amazing. here's something kinda similar
youtube.com/watch?v=N-AzlFhtjlw

Each tuner is a hipshot bass extender, and the bridge is a custom hipshot design that allows all the strings to be dropped at once.

The Zon Hyperbass is amazing and has a price tag to match.

>everyone who disagrees with you is trolling

I bet you're voting for Clinton.

Cheap stuff, but it does it's job.

That is lovely. The great thing about Zon basses is that usually only exceptionally talented people can justify buying them.

>quick, move to a hot button issue and assume their political affiliation, it will ensure maximum triggering

I'm a bedroom bassist and I've been playing for a year, yet I own a 2000£ bass and could have bought something up to 5000£. That's a silly statement.

>thunderbird basses
>epiphone

user...

How did you do this?

I've got an epiphone sg I want to do this do.

He's obviously trolling, but at least he's funny.

We're all KGB here.

right on. didn't know these existed. i knew about the EVH ones that go on the bridge but these are pretty sweet.

I said "usually"

I've never seen a hack playing a Zon.

I have them on 3 basses now. Even their standard tuners are god-tier. Their bridges are great, too.

pretty much this. i wouldn't expect anyone to justify their purchases on anything. as long as you're playing your damn bass use whatever you want. some people can just afford cooler shit.

guitars are usually made up of two or more pieces of wood, he probably separated the glued "wing" piece and just pasted in on backwards

That, or a bandsaw

fair enough but i don't think they are super well known to your every day player either.

I'm sure there are some people out there that have em but can make em sing like those guys can.

still. to each their own

hmm. gonna look into it. maybe i can get em on my new bass if it isn't too late.

It sounds pretty muddy, but it plays nice.
I wanna get something else but I'm mainly a drummer so I think I'll put that money towards cymbals.

>still. to each their own
such is life

>maybe i can get em on my new bass if it isn't too late
I highly recommend it. I don't think anyone comes close to them when it comes to quality.

The Classic-IV PRO Tbird is pretty nice tho

Your tinny upper register noodling shakes no booties, user.

Got my Combustion today, it blows my german Streamer Jazzman out of the fucking water... So trying to get the Warwick sold to finance some high end headphones with an DAC/amp.

Before I bought my first Thumb, I had always wanted Warwick basses, but now when I've gone through that one as well as the Jazzman I can't help but feel utterly dissapointed.

So sticking with the Combustion for now, will probably get an ABZ II or Super P next. I've also been craving a Big Al 5 for years, anyone here got any experience with those?

I feel your pain. Whenever I'm in a drum room at the shop the price tags make me feel woozy

Getting hipshot ultralites and a hipshot A style bridge on my new bass, can't wait.

Damn son, I'll allow it then.

>tfw my guitar player and I have to buy a drumkit between the two cause none of the drummers we've scouted in the area own drumsets

feels bad man

how was the swap to fanned fret?

It's a wonderful thing.

I feel like a damn salesman talking about my love for hipshot, but I can't help myself. They just put such garbage tuners on gits these days.

>drummer
>doesn't own drum set

how?

I guess they practice with electronic sets?

Is this a place I can post my stuff and have it critiqued?

Expect lots of memery and bullshit, but yes.

Do the ultralights require modification? The tuners on my MIM Jazz are so fucking heavy, require constant retuning too...

She's a violinist foremost, she had a drumkit back in the capital but now that she's living here again she don't got a drumset to spare.

better than nothing:

vocaroo.com/i/s134KyDmBTJk

Terrible quality, mic is crap. But any input would be wonderful.

no one wants to see your poorfag shit

Didn't even think about it when I started playing it. I didn't really analyze how my hands felt whilst playing, but it does feel more natural, as most people say.

If you use clyp.it instead of vocaroo it won't be compressed to shit and sound a bit better.

sweet. currently having this built. so i'm pretty stoked to check it out first hand

alright thanks

>Do the ultralights require modification?
They only have 1 screw like the small tuners on other basses have. Don't think you can just swap them with the standard fender tuners.

That's fucking awesome, user. Would've gotten a canadian one if I had the money. Currently studying so budget is pretty tight.

it was alright, not my thing but still pretty good.

ah shiet

They also make direct drop-in replacements for musicman/GL and all kinds of Fender basses, not sure if they'll be much lighter though.

everyone make a riff and post it

vocaroo.com/i/s1mD5Hkxa2gQ

What's a decent and kind of unique delay or reverb pedal? Preferably one that doesn't take up a lot of space aswell

Boss Tera Echo comes to mind

if you're looking for more emphasis on "unique" try the earthquaker afterneath or the old blood dark star

In my prostitute corporation, I've just promoted one of my most valuable employees to CEO, specializing in oral stimulation. She is the head-headhead.

This, even though those two, only used by the retarded, are just slang terminology for their classical equivalent.

Cool, I've been working on this riff for awhile:
vocaroo.com/i/s0NRobl8g0tA

Let me know what you guys think.

So one of you faggots can steal it?

>steal
>music
fucking lol, none of you can make anything unique cause its all been done 1000000000s of times, and on top of that all youf aggots pirate music anyway and steal shit off youtube when you learn so go FUCK yourself hahahahah >steal hahahahahhaha >STEAL MUSIC HAHAHAHAHAHAH

clyp.it/uykhyxtd

It's not a hard process. If you have a power dill it only takes a minute.

the nice thing about the ultralights is that the rear part and post are all screwed into the ferrule on the front, so you can clamp it down tight, line it up perfect, then mark the hole (or even drill it while it's in place if you're careful)

The only real issue is filling the old leftover screw holes, which can be done real cheap with wood glue and toothpicks

That said I replaced my jazz bass tuners with the normal hipshot replacements and those work fine, too. No lighter, though.

Go Gibson or go home.

10/10

>failing at greentexting

More like Chibson.

what do I have to know to be a competent enough bass player to play in a band?
what do you look for in one?
I play rhythm guitar atm but I feel bass is more widely needed and I've always wanted to learn

>ching chang chong forn factory

That picture sums up Gibson guitars today.

Keeping time with a drummer, being the rhythm section.

I play bass and when I started I was pretty much in your position.

It really depends on the band, but to start off you should be able to lay a nice foundation down, nothing too fancy. Matching what the guitar is doing gets boring really quick and you'll find yourself pushing it from there. you may want to start off playing with a pick, but you should really get good with your fingers as well. A lot of players cant do both.

Also there's some pretty good bass lesson videos out there that will give you a good first introduction into all sorts of styles and techniques.

Here's a portion of the Campanella Prelude 1 from the cello suite.
vocaroo.com/i/s1SCIQ38m2bs
I mostly like Weiss's fantasies, I like Dowlands work, very lyrical.

hell yeah and this picture sums up fender today
>fender factory prolly smells like juicy refried bean farts

Buying Fender or Gibson
You're joking, right? Both are mass produced shite.

fuck yeah music man all the way

>not PRS
lil' whipper snapper with yer complicated shoes!

Is the EBow a meme machine?

It's a meme device

>bandsaw

Who the fuck would take a bandsaw to their guitar?

the owner of an epiphone les paul, by the looks of that photograph

>epiphone les paul
whoops, SG. Didn't follow far enough and thought you were talking about

see

You just need to use two of them

that was pretty good. what is the name of the guitar book you have?

>NINERT NARLOW NAR ENUFF

I based my arrangement off of Christopher Parkening's arrangement in his method book 2.
It had to be completely reworked to account for the style. Musically all the notes are the same, virtually none of the fingerings are.

Hey Lads, let's talk strings for our basses. What type and brand do yall use? I'm still on the factory roundwounds that came with the bass when shipped to the store.

As much as I hate it, I'm using Ernie Ball .110s. They don't last for shit. Thinking of trying out Cleartone .110s.

ProSteels, bought as singles in gauges that amount to a balanced-tension set.

Yes of course, I should have been more specific. I think you said you have a guitar book of 16th century music? I was wondering what it is called, there's some Italian guitarist from that era I can't remember his name.

DR Sunbeams in .105, bretty gud but they're a bit pricey. Otherwise, I use standard d'addarios. I'd like to find bright steels that can last if you guys have any suggestions.

D'addario nickle rounds, usually a light set. Fairly cheap, comfy, and they last a good while

Shiba all the fucking way this pedal is amazing

All good stuff lads, thanks for sharing. Do you guys generally try to buy a well-rounded set for all types of playing, or do you stick to one genre and brand? (e.g. Labella Deep Talking Flats for 60s music).

Since I first tried balanced prosteels, I haven't switched. If I need less treble, my bass has a tone knob.

It's all loose leaf, I'm not positive the name of it, a friend of mine used to work for Melbay Publishing doing finger editing and gave it to me.
It is the earliest published "guitar"(precursors really) music. There's a lot of composers here and it's fascinating music to sight read.

Stupid questions for bassists from a clueless guitarists.

Do you guys use effects much? Like say you play metal. Do you need like dustortion or just run it dry? And could you plug into a guitar amp if you had to, albeit run the risk of it sounding like shit.

Just curious.

I popped my G string on my acoustic (nick drake tuning) and I couldn't be bothered to go out to the store at the time so I just replaced it with an ernie ballsuper slinky string for the time being.

it got me wondering, what would an electric sound like with copper/acoustic strings?

would that even work? i'd presume the action would be incredibly high and cumbersome on the truss, but would it work?

Distortion saturates the top-end. Let the guitarist have it. I'll play low and clean, and as a result I'll come through in the mix.

>Do you guys use effects much?
I personally do, but it has to play into the aesthetics of the band as a whole. I would not advise it for everyone, especially a beginner

>Like say you play metal. Do you need like dustortion or just run it dry?
For metal, no, probably dry
>And could you plug into a guitar amp if you had to, albeit run the risk of it sounding like shit.
No. You will fry your guitar amp. bass amps are especially built to handle lower frequencies, guitar amps are not.

I don't use effects much but i know people who do; it's all preference. And yes you could if you absolutely had no other choice, but you wouldn't want to crank the volume. You can plug a guitar into a bass amp (old blues-y and jazz players used to do that), but generally not the other way around.

addendum: I still have a Deluxe Bass Big Muff, weeping demon, and a sansamp for soloing or tighter EQ control since my bass is passive.

For metal I like to use a light overdrive most of the time to give everything a grittier tone. Heavier stuff gets more drive. Effects only really come in for certain sections of songs; like a flanger can sound great as a counterpoint to guitar, but I wouldn't use it for the whole song; it'd get boring. Similar thing with chorus or delay.
I'd usually run a dry signal for most other music though and use effects similar to how guitarists would.

i've run my bass through a line 6 spider IV because it's a piece of shit and I don't care what happens to it, but mainly at low volumes

from my understanding, the low bass frequency of the bass make the speaker shake a shit ton more than it would with a guitar (what it's built for), so if you blast suck low frequencies so high, the speaker will tear and break.

^this just with nickel wounds instead of prosteels. .040 .055 .075 .100 and .130 (should be a .135 but they start to sound pretty muddy and they're not always available in super long scale).
I used to use flats and loved them personally, but I do need to be more versatile so I switched to something very generic (Daddario nickel wounds). Just for versatility across many genres. I don't particularly care for steel strings.

Here's my board. I dont play metal but I find myself using fuzz, funky auto-filters, and delay pretty often. I wouldnt want to use a guitar amp, but it's possible.

The amp will work just fine, it's the speaker/cab you have to worry about. Amps are designed to amplify AC input voltage (your instrument input); the only difference between guitar amps and bass amps are what frequencies the eq is designed to affect and how much headroom the amp has. There's nothing wrong with running a bass through a guitar amp and vice versa.

sounds cool

>You can plug a guitar into a bass amp (old blues-y and jazz players used to do that), but generally not the other way around.

>You will fry your guitar amp
That is wrong. It's the speaker that takes the damage at high volumes not the amp itself. It's problematic because the EQ is not set up for those frequencies and because a guitar amp usually lacks the power to be loud enough for bass, and there might be a case where something in the design in the amp acts as a filter which ruins your bass tone but wouldn't matter on guitar.

Just wanted to clarify that.

>semantics

"Amp" is just the head, and that simply doesn't get damaged and especially not "fried".

Hey guys rate my basses

>Pic Related

The one on the left is a 2013 MIM standard P, and the one on the right is a 2005 Fender Deluxe Active P Bass Special (so it has the J width neck, and J pickup with a 3 band EQ).

I bought the passive one for USD 400 this past February, and the active P for 250 about a month ago.

Not bad, $250 for the PJ is a good deal.
I would've gone with a different color scheme on the P though.

Both are really good deals but I personally can't stand Fender P basses.

yeah the PJ had to be cleaned up a bit (scratchy pots, loose jack, refurb the fretboard & frets, and new strings) but it plays well. As for the P, I actually like the sunburst body; I plan on switching out the white guard for a red tortoise shell one, and putting on flatwounds to mimic a James Jamerson bass.

Thanks, I think I did pretty well on them. And to each their own; I used to own an Ibanez bass - it played so well (fast hand motions, great for all around) but the body contour killed it for me, so the passive P was the next upgrade for me.

I like your basses. Here are mine.

The P/J one looks cool but fuck me if that dirt doesn't mess with my OCD lol. Clean your shit user

Many companies make really nice P bass "copies" with modern necks, so I'm getting one of those. As for the rest, yeah I prefer pretty thin necks.
Neat, I dig the thunderbird

I like this bass only edition. A lot.

Honestly, that's fair. Classes have been picking up this semester. Haven't had much time to practice, let alone clean. I'll give it a dusting, just for you.

The P/J one is a crappy 90-dollar bass I picked up because I thought it'd be neat to try. The pickups are extremely low-output, the pots suck, the fret job and setup were godawful out of the box. I'll probably still swap the pups for something better than the garbage it came with sooner or later.

Right? :>

Bass only edition? This is a turn of events I am okay with

Reposting the MIM J I got last weekend, much needed upgrade from the Ibby GSR200 I was playing before

>Bass only edition? This is a turn of events I am okay with

me too!

anime posting REVEAL

Neat-o! How do you find the comfort of the thunderbird? I always wanted one but they look uncomfortable.

I agree, user.

Also I like the look of your bass, but I could never get into the offset waist of the Js. Still a good guitar tho!

Update: I broke my shitty bass's shitty plastic nut by running a rag under the strings to dust the fingerboard.

What do ya study, user? Sounds exciting.

And that's fucking cool, cheap as hell. Throw in some cheap used Duncans or whatever and off you go, provided you did a good job on the frets and setup. Cool looking piece

Dude, that blows so sorry to see that. Curious though - if you had detuned the strings to where you could lift them outta the slots, would that have prevented the crack?

It deserved to be broken.
That's around 7 bucks minimum tho.

wew boyo, you may as well just trash the thing now

The crack was probably already there; it would have broken off soon anyway

I'm a double major in math and computer science at a state university.

>7 bucks
I have a bottle of superglue tho

Buy a new nut. Take a putty blade and tap the old one off gently. Glue new one down. Ezpz

>vocaroo.com/i/s1mD5Hkxa2gQ
is someone gonna rate it or no?

so I have a apogee jam 96 for my iphone, and I wanted to use it on windows,

but I can't get it to work with my creatove zxrs asio drivers

it works using asio4all, but then i can only use it in 1 program,

i wanted to use it to play mp3s, and playalong to them using an amp modeler

is there any way to do this without having to buy a new interface?

if i need to buy a new interface can you recommend one under 100$

thanks guys

I like how mine feels. The neck sticks out pretty far compared to other basses. It's worth trying one out (make sure you try both standing and sitting). The strings are close enough together to make slapping more difficult, but plucking and strumming is fun.

I discovered prog, shit like chon, polyphia, tesseract, polyphia, skyhaven, covet, animals as leaders

I can't stomach things like cannibal corpse or ensiferum. It's too cheesy

I can stills stomach things like Fallujah

>no comments on my slightly obscure basses

What are we lookin at here?

A Sandberg Classic Special that was custom ordered.
An older MIJ TUNE bass (a Japanese brand) with a ridiculously powerful 18V pre-amp.
And an NS Design NXT electric upright bass.

Coming in a few months is the P bass version of the pic in the OP.

How good are the Squier Mustang VM?

Pretty gud. You'll definitely want to upgrade the pickups though, the neck is thicker and a 9.5 instead of a slim C and 7.25 on the Jap models so it's not too foreign if you're used to a Strat/Tele other than the 24.75" scale length. The bridge and tailpiece is hit or miss, some people say theirs stays in tune all the time like mine while others always seem to have 1 or 2 strings go out o tune all the time. For sure get yourself a setup when you buy it or have time to

Quick question for the people of GG: Lately I've been using my practice time improvising over songs I like/ jam tracks. I feel like I've been progressing faster than I was learning songs but I'm wondering if anyone has tried this and if it actually improved their playing or created problems.

Nice. How do you like the upright?

It's definitely a useful skill, hell as a commercial bassist you're often in the situation where someone hands you not sheet music but basic chord progressions on a rhythm sheet shortly before a gig.
So not only sight reading but also playing over existing tracks and reading the mood of the song is really important.

why would it create problems? keep at it, user

I don't know I'm not doing technical exercises anymore.

I love the string spacing of those basses, shame you can't get it on a bolt on for cheap. I like bright basses, but thunderbirds are a bridge too thin.

I absolutely love it. My teacher was a bit skeptical at first but he seems to be okay with it now.
It doesn't quite sound like an upright but it gets fairly close with a few tricks and proper technique, I think it's fantastic for Jazz when an electric bass guitar doesn't quite fit.

technical exercises 24/7 is not a good way to learn guitar either

just have fun

11 years
>Fave Guitars?
My Ibanez Jetking 2 and Les Paul Vixen
>Fave guitarists?
All the memes + gonna give Buck Dharma some love since I recently learned a Blue Oyster Cult
>Projects?
Trying to work up the courage to perform and learn to play with others and write music.

That's good to hear, I seem to remember that those are the better price/quality ratio elec uprights, right?

I'd like to try one out some time to see how I like it, but I'll probably stick with my standard basses

>All the memes + gonna give Buck Dharma some love since I recently learned a Blue Oyster Cult

Smoke on the water?

Depends on the gauge - a set of 11s is going to be pretty much the same acoustic of electric

Been playing classical guitar for a year and want to venture out into other genres, learn how to improvise and write songs and all that stuff. Got myself a low tier electric guitar and a shit tier bass to start with hoping to buy some upgrades in the future if it keepsme interested. Got a few questions though

Any recommended bass methods? The link on the OP doesn't seem tob e working, even though I'm not sure how much I'll need it since the gymnastics of playing bass seem to be pretty similar to what you'd do on a classical guitar, other than slapping ofc.

If I want to improvise basslines will the theory on guitar books work or willI have to ditch that and download something else?

Scott's Bass Lessons has good videos on YT for beginner to intermediate bass exercises and lessons
youtube.com/watch?v=hKHSivHkYaI

Well, the NXT is half the price compared to the CR model and it's 80-90% there IMO. Build quality is great, no issues whatsoever. The only 2 parts that could be improved are the tuners maybe (which you can swap out if you want) and the stand (a bit wobbly, only really an issue if you play arco). The CR also has an active preamp but you can just use an external one or the one on your amp for the NXT.

I personally swapped the strings for their "classical" strings (essentially Daddario helicore upright strings), raised the bridge (super easy to adjust) and out a bit of foam under the bridge. And it sounds and plays great.

if he takes off the glove, will he die?

No, its the one where you go fuck yourself.

He has a medical condition, something with his nerves iirc. If he didn't wear the gloves he couldn't play.

it was a joke my man. but yeah his condition seems horrible desu

I have a question but this thread is past bump limit.

Meh I mean he can still play bass, doesn't seem that bad. Lotta disabled musicians out there. People find a way with music, it's really nice to see. Makes me a lot less afraid that I could lose music because of an accident.

It's night time, the thread can still go a couple hours.

No, but it would be pretty painful.

I need a recommendation for a good steel-string acoustic under $500.

idk i remember that thing with drake bell (idk what happened but somehow he couldn't play guitar anymore) and the thought of it makes me want to kill myself

he got better, user, he toured my country at the start of this year

plus you know he still has his acting career anyways

he got better? holy shit that's so nice to hear. i remember he was talking about being super depressed about it but that's cool.

and yea his acting career is there but nothing can replace music

Seagull make some good ones

What's the best strat for under 750? I'm a poor scrub with a terrible ibanez gio and I want something quality to play.

do it.